Thread: Chad Ochocinco released by the Patriots

Default Chad Ochocinco released by the Patriots

Unconfirmed, but per some twitter reports. His own twitter account no longer lists him as a WR for the NEP, apparently it had until today.

There is no "regular" media confirmation yet, other than he was not at practice and was seen leaving the facility before practice started.

He was reportedly in great physical condition but still not grasping the complexities of the NE playbook.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 06-08-2012 at 06:19 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Default Re: Chad Ochocinco released by the Patriots?

Boston Herald now says no...

"Source: Chad Ochocinco is on the Patriots The Chad Ochocinco storyline is taking on a life of its own once again.

Ochocinco was not at practice today, and a source told colleague Karen Guregian that he was at Gillette Stadium this morning, though he left 10-15 minutes later. Then, due to the fact that Ochocincos Twitter bio doesnt include any information about the Patriots, speculation swirled that he was cut. (Its extremely dangerous to assume anything from a Twitter account.)

However, a source just said Ochocinco is on the Patriots.

So, he hasnt been cut. That doesnt mean things wont change, either immediately or down the road, but at least we know he is currently still a member of the team."

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sp...-the-patriots/

pro football talk also says no
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-been-cut-yet/

... sorry for jumping the gun.

mods feel free to delete

He will be cut at some point this offseason, though
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 06-07-2012 at 02:52 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Default Re: Chad Ochocinco released by the Patriots? unconfirmed

But we do know Gonzo was cut last week. Got to give the Patriots organization mucho credit for making decisions quickly unlike my beloved Colts who hopefully use to not get the message. Actually watching them bring in Luck and willing to let Manning go may just prove they no longer have that mindset.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Now it is confirmed.

It only was denied as they tried to get SOMETHING in trade for him, unsuccessfully.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/...chad-ochocinco

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

He was reportedly in great physical condition but still not grasping the complexities of the NE playbook.

I just don't get how the NE playbook is so complex that it limits a guy who is an 11 year vet and one of the best receivers of his era to just 15 catches on the season, while young guys like Hernandez and Grownkowski IMMEDIATELY grasp the offense and produce. Even if Ochocinco had trouble grasping the playbook, if he were in great physical shape then you would think that he would still be able to get separation on the opponent even if he were screwing up the plays. If he was able to get separation then Brady would somehow find him.

No offense should be so complex to the point where it makes a multiple pro bowler virtually irrelevant for an entire year. It's perfectly believable that someone would struggle in a brand new offense, but it's very hard to believe that an offense could be so tough that it would render someone of Ocho's stature completely useless. The Patriots have always brought in new guys who can immediately produce, just like the Colts did with Manning. I don't buy that guys like Hernandez, Gronk, Collie, Blair White, etc can immediately come in and produce in a complex offense, but that a guy like Ochocinco just can't figure it out....unless of course Ocho just doesn't have anything left in the tank. Then his lack of production is completely believable.

"Not grasping the complexities of the playbook" seems like a nice way of saying that Ocho is washed up.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He never was the "Belichick" guy, I thought he would flop their when they traded for him. Props to the Pats though for making the two low risk high reward trades for head case players, even if they both didn't pan out.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Default Re: Chad Ochocinco released by the Patriots

Yet another great veteran addition to the Patriots.

How many free agent/veteran busts has Belichick had in recent seasons- Adalius Thomas, Fat Albert, Ochocinco. The man is no genius.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    Yet another great veteran addition to the Patriots.

How many free agent/veteran busts has Belichick had in recent seasons- Adalius Thomas, Fat Albert, Ochocinco. The man is no genius.

All of these were low risk additions. Yeah they didn't end up yielding much of a return, but so what? You cut them and move on. It's not like the Pats mortgaged the future to get these guys. Chad Johnson not working out isn't that big a deal when you add young studs like Hernandez and Gronk who will be around for a very long time.

I hate the Patriots, but 5 Super Bowl appearances in 11 years speaks for itself. Belichick is maybe the best.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    All of these were low risk additions. Yeah they didn't end up yielding much of a return, but so what? You cut them and move on. It's not like the Pats mortgaged the future to get these guys. Chad Johnson not working out isn't that big a deal when you add young studs like Hernandez and Gronk who will be around for a very long time.

I hate the Patriots, but 5 Super Bowl appearances in 11 years speaks for itself. Belichick is maybe the best.

Three of those appearances occurred while maintaining a distinct and ILLEGAL competitive advantage by videotaping opposing teams' signals.

The last two appearances were losses, with the latest coming in a watered down and weak AFC. New England wouldn't get out of the NFC.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    Three of those appearances occurred while maintaining a distinct and ILLEGAL competitive advantage by videotaping opposing teams' signals.

The last two appearances were losses, with the latest coming in a watered down and weak AFC. New England wouldn't get out of the NFC.
    Yeah since they got caught their offense has slowed down so much...I am a rams fan (was the team originally who had their practice taped) but to say that they won 3 super bowls and five appearances because of that is a pretty weak excuse...

Their best, 3rd best, and 5th best teams won championship games (2004, 2003, 2001) and their second best and fourth best teams lost (2007, 2011). All 5 games came down to the wire, with all the wins a play away from a loss, and all the losses a play away from a win (and sometimes a quite improbable play!). Thus I would say that the demise of the Patriots post-spygate is greatly exaggerated.

Dgreenwell: No Rams practice was ever taped. This was a lie published 6 months after spygate, the day before the Super Bowl, and then retracted after the Super Bowl loss, and denied by the very person accused of doing the taping (an ex-Pats video guy) Spygate = openly taping defensive signals from the sidelines, during a game, period. It was admitted, punished severely, apologies were made and accepted, and most people moved on. As an organization, by any measure other than the elusive rings, the Patriots have been more successful after spygate than before.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 06-11-2012 at 01:11 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Heard he signed with Miami

Hard Knocks ratings move?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hope Chad gets touches in Miami, they did trade Marshall.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13