Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Yahoo: Kevin Pritchard will be Pacers new GM if Bird finalizes his deal with Simon

Default Yahoo: Kevin Pritchard will be Pacers new GM if Bird finalizes his deal with Simon

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to stephen For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Pritchard will be pacers new GM if bird finalizes his deal with simon

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It seems there are interesting things going on in the Pacers front office if the rumors can be believed. If!

Default Re: Pritchard will be pacers new GM if bird finalizes his deal with simon

Maybe Mel Daniels can come back under Pritchard? Stuff has a way of coming around sometimes.

This explains a lot. The disconnect between the rumors behind the scenes and the appearance of engagement at his end of season presser.

I like Larry Bird, but he is a my way or the highway kind of guy. I've always liked Prichard. and never cared one way or the other about Morway. So if this is what Bird wants, I'm OK with it.

Why should we believe this guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Why should we believe this guy?
    because he said, multiple league sources? Now he could be just making up, but the article says what it says.

Wojo is a great source for breaking news. For a while, he was easily the best at breaking trades and who teams were drafting before their pick was announced.

However, everyone should consider who his main sources (i.e. sports agents) are when reading one of his new stories. I 100% believe he was told information from his sources, but the agenda is typically what I question.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Wonder whats up with Morway?? Seems weird to to jettison Morway after this recent success. Could be Simon consolidating power and salary...
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It would seem to me that if Simon and Morway were not in favor of Pritchard coming in to start with, it would be just as likely that Morway stays and Bird leaves, although Simon would not want to upset the apple cart due to having the Executive of the Year leave.

Sports Logo

Here is the full article so that we can discuss it better:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--la...m.html#more-id

Larry Bird plans to promote Kevin Pritchard to Pacers GM
    By Adrian Wojnarowski | Yahoo! Sports – 48 minutes ago

Email
    As Larry Bird finalizes his deal to continue as Indiana Pacers president, he plans to elevate Kevin Pritchard to become the franchise’s general manager, multiple league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
    Pritchard has become a favorite of Bird’s since his hiring as the Pacers' director of player personnel a year ago. Pritchard’s promotion will spell the end of David Morway’s successful tenure as GM, sources said.

Despite joining the organization as a subordinate to Morway, Pritchard rapidly usurped power and influence since his hiring a year ago, league sources said. Pacers owner Herb Simon and Morway were wary of bringing Pritchard into the organization, sources said, but Bird trusts Pritchard’s counsel and has pushed for this change.

Bird still has to finalize a deal with Simon for Pritchard’s promotion to be made official. Pritchard had a modestly successfully, but tumultuous three-year run as the Portland Trail Blazers' GM from 2007-10. He drafted LaMarcus Aldridge, Brandon Roy and Nic Batum, but also had some first-round picks – that cost the Blazers millions of dollars to acquire – never pan out. Pritchard’s self-aggrandizing management style alienated those inside and outside the Blazers organization and ultimately led to owner Paul Allen firing him on draft night in 2010.
    The highlighted part concerns me. * The Owner and the GM needs to be on the same page and see "eye to eye".

In some ways, Pritchard is best known for jumpstarting the Oklahoma City Thunder’s rise to prominence in the Western Conference after he chose Greg Oden over Kevin Durant with the first pick in the 2007 NBA Draft. Landing Durant turned out to be a seminal moment for the freshly crowned 2012 Western Conference champions.
    Geez...talk about a back-handed compliment.

I admit that there is a part of me that is holding out for Pritchard because of the possibility that he can transform this Organization the way that the Blazers were when he took over.....then I remember that he had problems with the Owners....and I have some concerns. The only hope that I have is that the Simons remain as "hands off" with Pritchard as they did with Bird.
    Last edited by CableKC; 06-08-2012 at 06:50 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

I think if Bird retires after another 2-3 years morway will become president of basketball operations.

Sports Logo

Whose higher in the food chain? the GM or the President of BasketBall Operations?

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Here is the full article so that we can discuss it better:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--la...m.html#more-id

The highlighted part concerns me. The Owner and the GM needs to be on the same page and see "eye to eye".

The last paragraph is why other teams are very interested in Morway as GM. They have knowledge about Morway's abilities Pacers fans don't.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Whose higher in the food chain? the GM or the President of BasketBall Operations?
    Bird = President.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Mood

The way the Pacers are structured, being the GM isn't the same as being the GM of most other teams... President of basketball operations is the decision maker, and the GM is his assistant/ right hand man.

If Bird wants Pritchard to be his right hand man, then let him.... it also raises questions about Morway if Bird doesn't want him as GM, as well as the role Morway had chasing out Mel Daniels. Seems like to me Morway rubs everyone wrong other than Simon.

Also been reported why Portland has had issues getting/keeping a GM is b/c Allen is a complete control freak. Yes owner GM needs to be on same page, but what is the point of having a GM if the Owner controls so much?
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Bird = President.
    So if Pritchard is a GM.....then wouldn't there be a President of Basketball Operations that is Pritchard's Boss?

Mood

So if Pritchard is a GM.....then wouldn't there be a President of Basketball Operations that is Pritchard's Boss?
    Like I said in my last post...

For basketball decisions Bird is #1, Pritchard would be #2/Bird's right hand man

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

Could this be the issue that Bird was waiting to discuss with Herbie before he agreed to next year.

Sign me up. Pritchard is very aggressive. I like his style.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kent beckley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post
    what is the point of having a GM if the Owner controls so much?

Ask Cuban. He has a championship now.

Yep Pritchard has a reputation of being very aggressive. This could be a very interesting draft if Pritchard/Bird are in charge.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Well, the draft just got a helluva lot more exciting.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Ok, what's the point of being the GM if the Owner doesn't let you do the job you were brought in to do. - Also I was referring to Allen/Pritchard relationship, and last I checked Allen doesn't have a championship. And the GM job was left open for like a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    It's always been my opinion that Cuban is the self appointed Pit Bull of his basketball front office team. If they say they need so and so, Cuban tries to get so and so for them. In other words Cuban asks who do we need, and then takes the lead in trying to obtain them.

Wells says Bird and Simon are expected to meet sometime next week.

Sports Logo

Wait....I'm assuming that Bird is leaving and that Pritchard will be promoted to run the FO.....am I totally reading this wrong?

Is Bird intending to stay and he intends to promote Pritchard to Morway's spot?