Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Second best Pacer Player ever ...

Default Re: Second best Pacer Player ever ...

I think if Jermaine O'Neal can be considered as 2nd best ever for his 'best' years, which were cut short by injury, then Clark Kellogg needs to be in the same conversation. When healthy, I think he was one of the best overall players ever for the NBA version of the Pacers.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How exactly are Mark Jackson and Danny Granger on this list?
    The list is whatever you want babe. Just threw some names out there.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    Funny I always hear Roger Brown. Would you rank him right behind these two?
    Saw Roger play many times. Look at his stats. For all the local love, he really had a short career where in he made much of a difference. Billy Knight actually outshone him if you look at career accomplishment.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I understand all the JO references...but man, if he would have played like a 7 footer instead of shooting fade away jumpers, he may have actually been an MVP. Too much whining to the officials and playing "small" for me. He definitely THOUGHT he was MVP, and not in a good way.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rajah was great but just hasn't stuck with me like Mel, Big George, and Freddy Lewis. I'm not sure why.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Favorite Jones?

Fred, James, Dahntay or Wilbert?
    Fred
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

He's going for three... mikeyism's Avatar

2nd best player I would give it to JO. Lifetime achievement I would give it to Smits or Dale Davis. I can't speak for any of the ABA players.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So I got to meet Rik Smits today as he was on-campus for his daughter's registration day. I told him how I used to pretend to be him when my friends and I played as kids and got a picture. Then I went to grab lunch and he sat down beside me and I got to chat with his family. He certainly gets my vote as my 2nd favorite Pacers player ever. So cool.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mac_Daddy For This Useful Post:

mike dunleavy
    troy murphy

thumbnailCA32Q85X.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    mike dunleavy
    troy murphy
    Bambam

Follow me on Twitter @http://twitter.com/brockhubble

1. Reggie
    2. Mullin
    3. JO
    4. Granger
    5. Mark Jackson
    6. Smits

Most hated player named Ron

1. Ron Mercer
    2. Ron Artest
    Removed link to my website after a PM from Able.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cept Mullin was pretty run down by the time he got to the Pacers, he had 1 decent first season with the team. I was wanting Jalen to start in 99 when they were letting Sprewell just destroy Mullie (not that Jalen was that much better defensively)
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

gotta be Reggie! Like him so much I have his one and only custom made surfboard.

There is no right answer to this question because it is all a matter of personal opinion. Is there a length of time with the team? Does the teams overall record matter? Is there consideration given to players who took a step back to help improve the overall team? The questions could go on and on.

But knowing that this is for fun I’m going to go a slightly different direction. As with many of you I also am too young to have any memories of the ABA pacers other than grainy old videos that all of us have seen. So with that in mind I’ll go ahead and say that Reggie probably isn’t the best overall player, he might not have even been the second best. Big Mac & Mel were animals in their day but like Uncle Buck said there is simply no way to evaluate them.

So in the NBA if we concede that Reggie is the best I’m going to go with Billy Knight being the second best.

Yes, you can criticize his defense but believe me as a person who watched Reggie Millers career I can tell you that he often times was not considered on par with Gary Payton (that’s being very polite btw).

Billy was the first NBA all-star for the Pacers and when we merged with the NBA Billy was the second leading scorer in the NBA that season averaging 27 points and 8 rebounds a game. His head to head duels with George Gervin were legendary in both of the amount of points both would put up and the lack of defense both would play.

But if for no other reason for those of us who were to young to be ABA fans and this was way before the 94 rebirth of the franchise the one shining player who kept us from being totally a laughingstock around the league was Billy.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Lance Stephenson. The best Pacers player ever also is Lance Stephenson.

Jermaine O'Neal@jermaineoneal
    "@kofalvid: @jermaineoneal What's your favorite team that you've been on?" Has to be the pacers! A lot of memories, and accomplishments there

He was the closest we've ever had to league MVP. I don't know if he's my second favorite, but I'd have to consider him the second best ever (from what I've seen, 1994-2012).
    Last edited by LG33; 06-12-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    There is no right answer to this question because it is all a matter of personal opinion. Is there a length of time with the team? Does the teams overall record matter? Is there consideration given to players who took a step back to help improve the overall team? The questions could go on and on.

But knowing that this is for fun I’m going to go a slightly different direction. As with many of you I also am too young to have any memories of the ABA pacers other than grainy old videos that all of us have seen. So with that in mind I’ll go ahead and say that Reggie probably isn’t the best overall player, he might not have even been the second best. Big Mac & Mel were animals in their day but like Uncle Buck said there is simply no way to evaluate them.

So in the NBA if we concede that Reggie is the best I’m going to go with Billy Knight being the second best.

Yes, you can criticize his defense but believe me as a person who watched Reggie Millers career I can tell you that he often times was not considered on par with Gary Payton (that’s being very polite btw).

Billy was the first NBA all-star for the Pacers and when we merged with the NBA Billy was the second leading scorer in the NBA that season averaging 27 points and 8 rebounds a game. His head to head duels with George Gervin were legendary in both of the amount of points both would put up and the lack of defense both would play.

But if for no other reason for those of us who were to young to be ABA fans and this was way before the 94 rebirth of the franchise the one shining player who kept us from being totally a laughingstock around the league was Billy.
    Some folkes always overthink this sort of thing. OF COURSE it is all a matter of opinion. OF COURSE it is hard to define because there are a lot of variables. BUT THIS IS AN OPINION FORUM. So don't overthink it and opinion away! Live a little!

Yes. Old timers will remember that for a couple of years Billy Knight was a better than average player in the league. But the team was bloody awful most of those years and later in his career he was often the 3rd or 4th scorer on a really bad team. But he had longevity.

Mood

Best - Roger Brown
    2nd - Mel Daniels
    3rd - Reggie Miller
    (PS I have seen all of them play many game over their careers. Please don't dismiss players that you didn't see play.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:

All this thread does is make me wish I was born 15 years earlier so I would have been a teen when Mel, George and Rajah were playing.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

Billy was the first NBA all-star for the Pacers and when we merged with the NBA
    Don Buse was also an all-star our first year in the NBA. Buse and Knight actually both played in the same two all-star games together.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Don Buse was also an all-star our first year in the NBA. Buse and Knight actually both played in the same two all-star games together.
    Sure enough, Don Buse is actually a very underappreciated Pacer. Didn't he also lead the league in steals that year and was one of the assist leaders?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sure enough, Don Buse is actually a very underappreciated Pacer. Didn't he also lead the league in steals that year and was one of the assist leaders?
    Believe so. Think he was on some all-defensive teams as well, but I'd have to look that up. His name should probably go in that thread about Pacers people forgot about.

EDIT: Led the ABA in assists and steals in 75-76. Led the NBA in assists and steals in 76-77. 2 time 1st team all-defense in ABA. 4 time 1st team all-defense in NBA. Pretty crazy how a player with those accolades could barely get mentioned as an all-time great for your team.
    Last edited by croz24; 06-12-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Undefeated

How exactly are Mark Jackson and Danny Granger on this list?
    I was thinking JO clearly second with the above two and Smits fighting it out. Smits doesn't get the love he deserves, he'd be a top 3 center in the league now a days, just happened to be playing when center was stacked. To put it into comparison, Hibbert made the all star game this year on what would be considered one of Rik's worst years.
    Danger Zone

Mood

Roger didn't play for the stats, he could have averaged 30 a game had that been his interest. He played to win, whether that was defense, passing, decoy or making baskets. When it was necessary he could simply take over a game like no one else in the history of the Pacer franchise.

Mel Daniels once had a 50/30 game, McGinnis had a 59 pt game watched it on TV (CH4) Rajah was a player he had some awesome playoff games where he just dominated entire series. Those 3 are the best from the ABA. Reggie was so clutch throughout his 18 years he will always be the best. JO would have been the best had he spent more time here. So I guess my answer is JO... 10 years from now I hope we can talk about PG in the same question.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)