Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Golden State targeting Danny Granger and other small forwards

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They would have to give me Curry + Pick or Curry, pick and Thompson for Danny (and DC in the second case) for me to even pick up the phone.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Default Re: Golden State targeting Danny Granger and other small forwards

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_The_Dude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Granger brings us 17-18ppg, defense, a shooting threat, a little rebounding, and toughness. If we're trading him we need to bring somebody back that gives us more than that, or it needs to at least be a move that puts us into position to get a better player than him. Anything else is a lateral move -- and we're not in position to make lateral moves, we need to make moves that will put us in championship contention.

Somebody else said it in this thread and I will agree. Paul George would be gone before Danny... And I don't see George being gone either.
    I agree with that. Say next year Ok can't pay Harden, they might do a trade for PG. I would do that right now, but maybe not by the end of next year.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    Just Monta or some of the other comparisons aswell?
    Oh please. We don't want to get "anyone" started. Two years ago, it was Murphy. Last year it was DunJr and Rush. We cleared them all off so the heir apparent to the "let's choose a new scapegoat" has been Granger this season, at least for "some people".

Hell, if we got rid of Granger, are we to be shocked if "some people" then shift their negative attention to Paul George? "Some people" just have to have a player to b!tch about and pick apart.

Personally, I like some players better than others and prefer certain players over others depending on game situations, but I can honestly say that I am very pleased that I am finally able to say that all players are "likeable".

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    #7 for Granger? I think that's an easy pass. Here are the past #7's. I think Danny is above that average...and I'm not a big Granger fan. I am open to trading a known and younger asset for Granger...but not a chance.

Bismack Biyombo
    Greg Monroe
    Stephen Curry
    Eric Gordon

Corey Brewer
    Randy Foye
    Charlie Villanueva
    3 of those guys are clearly better than Granger. I'd say it's about 50-50 whether you find a better player than Granger at 7. My initial thought is, I wouldn't do it unless Bradley Beal drops to 7.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

I would do T-Hans+Granger for 7th pick + Lee... Then I would pick Dion Waiters and never look back.

Dion Waiters is the ultimate sleeper in this class. He is everything we don't have on offense. Attacks the rim with confidence, great ball handler, can play spot minutes at the 1, excellent passer, and a tremendous athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    3 of those guys are clearly better than Granger. I'd say it's about 50-50 whether you find a better player than Granger at 7. My initial thought is, I wouldn't do it unless Bradley Beal drops to 7.
    Seriously? On Paper sure, all of them are young and offer alot of value going forward, but they have to actually play the games.

I believe the quotes coming out of Golden State last year were that Curry could permanently damage his ankle and ruin his career if he didn't rest it. So who knows if that guy is healthy or not going forward. Somebody get the man new shoes so his ankle doesn't fall off.

Eric Gordon- sure I'd love to have him, but again injury issues...

Monroe is going to be a beast but lets be real he isn't even the conversation for the Pacers.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Seriously? On Paper sure, all of them are young and offer alot of value going forward, but they have to actually play the games.

I believe the quotes coming out of Golden State last year were that Curry could permanently damage his ankle and ruin his career if he didn't rest it. So who knows if that guy is healthy or not going forward. Somebody get the man new shoes so his ankle doesn't fall off.

Eric Gordon- sure I'd love to have him, but again injury issues...

Monroe is going to be a beast but lets be real he isn't even the conversation for the Pacers.
    The point is that finding a better player than Granger with the 7th pick is anything but impossible. In fact, it's about 50-50. If BlueNGold would have added one year to his list, it would have been exactly 50-50. Luol Deng was taken there in 2004.

As for the three I'd highlighted, if any one of those players were offered for Granger straight up, even in spite of their injury issues, it would be an absolute no brainer.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Oh please. We don't want to get "anyone" started. Two years ago, it was Murphy. Last year it was DunJr and Rush. We cleared them all off so the heir apparent to the "let's choose a new scapegoat" has been Granger this season, at least for "some people".

Hell, if we got rid of Granger, are we to be shocked if "some people" then shift their negative attention to Paul George? "Some people" just have to have a player to b!tch about and pick apart.

Personally, I like some players better than others and prefer certain players over others depending on game situations, but I can honestly say that I am very pleased that I am finally able to say that all players are "likeable".

Well said. Some people always have to have someone to be angry with. This team is heading in the right direction and there is no need to trade a veteran for an unproven pick. I think Larry's philosophy of drafting 3-4 year college players from winning programs is starting to pay dividends. The biggest complaint most of us have had with PG is his maturity. He was a 2 year college guy. I think we can get a decent bench player with our current pick, re-sign our core and add a veteran FA to help us take the next step. I've said it many times - this team reminds me of the early 90's Pacers and that team was built through the draft (often unpopular but wise picks - Steve Alford instead of Reggie?) and being patient with young players.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

13. The Following User Says Thank You to fwpacerfan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    They would have to give me Curry + Pick or Curry, pick and Thompson for Danny (and DC in the second case) for me to even pick up the phone.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    Who is this Danny super hero that you are referring to? lol
    Why so SERIOUS

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Picks 6-8, the past 10 NBA Drafts:

#6. Dajuan Wagner
    #7. Nene
    #8. Chris Wilcox

#6. Cris Kaman
    #7. Kirk Hinrich
    #8. T.J. Ford

#6. Josh Childress
    #7. Luol Deng
    #8. Rafael Araujo

#6. Martell Webster
    #7. Charlie Villanueva
    #8. Channing Frye

#6. Brandon Roy
    #7. Randy Foye
    #8. Rudy Gay

#6. Yi Jianlian
    #7. Corey Brewer
    #8. Brandan Wright

#6. Danilo Gallinari
    #7. Eric Gordon
    #8. Joe Alexander

#6. Johnny Flynn
    #7. Stephen Curry
    #8. Jordan Hill

#6. Ekpe Udoh
    #7. Greg Monroe
    #8. Al-Farouq Aminu

#6. Jan Vesley
    #7. Bismack Biyombo
    #8. Brandon Knight

There's been a few very good players selected in this range over the past decade, and one great player, Brandon Roy, but, for the most part, that's a underwhelming list of names.

Using that list as a predictor, I'd say there's about a...

• 07% chance #7 lands a player noticeably better than Danny Granger.
    • 22% chance #7 lands a player roughly the same quality as Danny Granger.
    • 71% chance #7 lands a player significantly worse than Danny Granger.

Danny for #7 doesn't seem worth it to me, especially knowing that this time team, as currently constructed, made serious progress this past season. If we could get a team to observe Danny's contract, meaning we ended up with both #7 and an additional $10-11M in capspace, then I might consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Even if you are correct about whats needed to win a championship. This is not the year to trade Danny, it would be the year his contract is an expiring. Anyone really think Danny is going to regress so much in 2 years that he will cease to be the best player on this team? I don't.
    i'm against any Danny trades that aren't clear upgrades. But if there's such a trade, you trade him yesterday.

It makes no sense whatsoever to wait for his contract to become an expiring. If Danny was on a bad contract, that's one thing. But he's on a decent deal and you aren't going to get more for him in 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    It's usually forgotten......but the Warriors already amnestied Charlie Bell...they can't amnesty Biedrins anymore.
    ohh well. I guess they wouldn't be the Warriors if they didn't waste their amnesty on a cheap expiring, while their roster was full of bad or long and risky contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    #7 for Granger? I think that's an easy pass. Here are the past #7's. I think Danny is above that average...and I'm not a big Granger fan. I am open to trading a known and younger asset for Granger...but not a chance.

Bismack Biyombo
    Greg Monroe
    Stephen Curry
    Eric Gordon
    Corey Brewer
    Randy Foye
    Charlie Villanueva
    I'm not necessarily in favor of trading Danny for #7, but I don't think the main reason for abstaining should rest on how the players picked at that position in that past have fared thus far. That has nothing to do with the player you'd pick this year. And how that player pans out has little to do with his draft positioning, or the draft record of the past GM's picking at that position.
    Last edited by QuickRelease; 06-01-2012 at 11:27 AM.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to QuickRelease For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Picks 6-8, the past 10 NBA Drafts:

#6. Dajuan Wagner
    #7. Nene
    #8. Chris Wilcox

#6. Cris Kaman
    #7. Kirk Hinrich
    #8. T.J. Ford

#6. Josh Childress
    #7. Luol Deng
    #8. Rafael Araujo

#6. Martell Webster
    #7. Charlie Villanueva
    #8. Channing Frye

#6. Brandon Roy
    #7. Randy Foye
    #8. Rudy Gay

#6. Yi Jianlian
    #7. Corey Brewer
    #8. Brandan Wright

#6. Danilo Gallinari
    #7. Eric Gordon
    #8. Joe Alexander

#6. Johnny Flynn
    #7. Stephen Curry
    #8. Jordan Hill

#6. Ekpe Udoh
    #7. Greg Monroe
    #8. Al-Farouq Aminu

#6. Jan Vesley
    #7. Bismack Biyombo
    #8. Brandon Knight

There's been a few very good players selected in this range over the past decade, and one great player, Brandon Roy, but, for the most part, that's a underwhelming list of names.

Using that list as a predictor, I'd say there's about a...

• 07% chance #7 lands a player noticeably better than Danny Granger.
    • 22% chance #7 lands a player roughly the same quality as Danny Granger.
    • 71% chance #7 lands a player significantly worse than Danny Granger.

Danny for #7 doesn't seem worth it to me, especially knowing that this time team, as currently constructed, made serious progress this past season. If we could get a team to observe Danny's contract, meaning we ended up with both #7 and an additional $10-11M in capspace, then I might consider it.
    Sooooooooooooooooooooo your saying there is a chance , lol but in all honesty people that are taken at those spots are all about potential, most didn't even play 2 or more years of college basketball, so you know there will be a lot of bust and guys that are mediocre, but the thing is picking later in the draft you significantly drop in potential, some guys may have higher floors but typically do not carry the same potential, and this league is all about finding the next big thing so this will happen forever.

I think this years draft is set up similar to the previous ones, you have guys like Drummond, PJIII, Lamb, Waiters, all similar situation, high potential, but very small chance they will reach it, it all comes down to do you feel like gambling or not.
    Why so SERIOUS

if you judge pick value by other teams' failures, you could also make a good case that Danny is better than the average no.2 pick since ~1995.
    But it's hardly relevant.
    The question is --- what does the draft look like, do you trust your staff (Bird&co) in the draft, what can you do with the extra cap savings.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    The question is --- what does the draft look like, do you trust your staff (Bird&co) in the draft, what can you do with the extra cap savings.
    This. Some guy drafted at the 7 spot years ago that didn't pan out has no effect on this year's draftees.

This doesn't mean I want to trade Danny for the 7 pick, it just points out the flaw in using past drafts as any indicator of future success.
    Last edited by The Sleeze; 06-01-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Comments in here regarding Granger are exactly why I generalize this board.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    if you judge pick value by other teams' failures, you could also make a good case that Danny is better than the average no.2 pick since ~1995.
    But it's hardly relevant.
    The question is --- what does the draft look like, do you trust your staff (Bird&co) in the draft, do you trust your staff (Bird&co) to decide if this is a good idea or not and what can you do with the extra cap savings.
    fixed. sorta.

everyone loves the draft. and falls in love with potential. my guess is Bird laughs and hangs up the phone for most if not all of the suggested trades.

Anyone is available for the right price. But player hate is not a good reason to change a player unless all your fans hate him, ie Jamaal. Pacers are not in need of different players, they are in need of players that make a difference. In other words, not players that may or may not be better. Not a bunch of not quite as good player for Danny, but players that are a lot better. Players that make the Pacers a much better team, not players that make it a different team.

Most times making a trade just to make a trade is a bad idea. This is one of those times.

i dont wanna trade danny..

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:

now that i think about it....... i wouldn't mind getting Klay Thompson. thompson curry 7th for danny and dc

Curry/Hill
    Thompson/Hill
    Paul George/Draft Pick
    David West/Hans
    Hibbert/Lou or free agent

i actually like that ALOT
    Last edited by PacerPenguins; 06-01-2012 at 01:23 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:

I love this board. All these change for the sake of change posts that get thrown around here. Lateral moves are lateral moves, there's no point. So many posters here imagine themselves some sort of NBA GM in waiting, with grand ideas of how to pull off the championship-winning trade that noone else thought of. In reality you just want to see your favorite NBA players from other teams on the Pacers, whether its actually good for the franchise or not. And get rid of whichever scapegoat you are currently blaming for not being able to gloat about your favorite team being NBA champions. Larry Bird is an NBA legend and a paid, professional GM that has taken this team from a sub.-500 team lost in no man's land to the 5th best record in the NBA. You're just some guy on an internet message board. I think I'll pick Bird's plan over all these hair-brained schemes.

Like it or not, the current core players are gonna be here for the forseeable future. This is the direction Bird has decided to go, and its working. There's no point in doing a total 180 right now by trading major core players. Might as well get on board with the plan, and quit wishing for the Pacers to be some other team with some other team's players. Its not gonna happen.

33. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ThunderMakeR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_The_Dude View Post
    Granger brings us 17-18ppg, defense, a shooting threat, a little rebounding, and toughness. If we're trading him we need to bring somebody back that gives us more than that, or it needs to at least be a move that puts us into position to get a better player than him. Anything else is a lateral move -- and we're not in position to make lateral moves, we need to make moves that will put us in championship contention.

Somebody else said it in this thread and I will agree. Paul George would be gone before Danny... And I don't see George being gone either.
    And he's doing that in a TEAM-oriented offense and defense.

People keep forgetting what type of team we have. Granger fits what the team needs from the SF spot at $13M and $14M for the next two years. Also, it's nice to know that people are still stuck on wanting to shift Paul George to the 3.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2760/danny-granger
    http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/4251/paul-george

Up above, this was production that we got from Granger and George in a lockout shorten season, and Vogel to YET have a TRUE offseason. The ONLY players that I'm concern about trying is Hansbrough and Collison.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by fwpacerfan View Post

Well said. Some people always have to have someone to be angry with. This team is heading in the right direction and there is no need to trade a veteran for an unproven pick. I think Larry's philosophy of drafting 3-4 year college players from winning programs is starting to pay dividends. The biggest complaint most of us have had with PG is his maturity. He was a 2 year college guy. I think we can get a decent bench player with our current pick, re-sign our core and add a veteran FA to help us take the next step. I've said it many times - this team reminds me of the early 90's Pacers and that team was built through the draft (often unpopular but wise picks - Steve Alford instead of Reggie?) and being patient with young players.
    I can't agree more...

I'm so glad none of the people here run the team... Way to many people wanting to make lateral moves with some of our core pieces, when at this stage you only make a trade that will immediately improve our team (not wait 2-3 years to see if a draft pick pans out, or take one step back and be in the same place 2-3 years - we are small market, we can't afford to gamble).

We had the 5th best record in the NBA... To improve you have to make patient and smart moves (or for example, we would have Nene at the max, and less flexibility). Build on top of what we have... with the new CBA it will be hard for these Superstar teams to put players around their stars. I'm sure Bird and his staff understands the CBA better than anyone here, and how to navigate to build our team.

Reading the board lately, you would have thought we missed the playoffs and are in dire need of wholesale changes to the team, while in reality we are just adding 2-3 pieces that fit better and improve our TEAM (FA, draft, trading role players that benefit both teams b/c they fit the systems better, ect) from being legit contenders.
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

36. The Following User Says Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    I love this board. All these change for the sake of change posts that get thrown around here. Lateral moves are lateral moves, there's no point. So many posters here imagine themselves some sort of NBA GM in waiting, with grand ideas of how to pull off the championship-winning trade that noone else thought of. In reality you just want to see your favorite NBA players from other teams on the Pacers, whether its actually good for the franchise or not. And get rid of whichever scapegoat you are currently blaming for not being able to gloat about your favorite team being NBA champions. Larry Bird is an NBA legend and a paid, professional GM that has taken this team from a sub.-500 team lost in no man's land to the 5th best record in the NBA. You're just some guy on an internet message board. I think I'll pick Bird's plan over all these hair-brained schemes.

Like it or not, the current core players are gonna be here for the forseeable future. This is the direction Bird has decided to go, and its working. There's no point in doing a total 180 right now by trading major core players. Might as well get on board with the plan, and quit wishing for the Pacers to be some other team with some other team's players. Its not gonna happen.
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post
    Reading the board lately, you would have thought we missed the playoffs and are in dire need of wholesale changes to the team, while in reality we are just adding 2-3 pieces that fit better and improve our TEAM (FA, draft, trading role players that benefit both teams b/c they fit the systems better, ect) from being legit contenders.
    Thank you....

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post: