Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I think Anthony "The Brow" Davis is overrated....

Default I think Anthony "The Brow" Davis is overrated....

Anyone with me? I think he's a stud defensive player and rebounder, but his offensive game is limited.

I don't think he's a superstar in the making. I think he can be a star, just not a superstar unless he dramatically improves his offensive game. I think another player or players will end up better players from this class at the end of their rookie contracts.
    "In 49 states it's just basketball ... but this is Indiana."

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rousea24 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: I think Anthony "The Brow" Davis is overrated....

The unibrow is a tell-tale sign of lycanthropy. Watch for strange throat-biting incidents on Bourbon Street during the 2012-2013 Season

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IndyHoya For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If he plays point guard in the NBA, he can drive and post up all day, but he wont be. So, I think that he will be a mediocre player at best.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

A guy who was such a "late bloomer" and was a growth spurt away from playing PG at Cleveland St to playing PF at Kentucky seems to beg for a lot of questions. My hunches are often wrong though.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's got a lot of Tyrus Thomas to his game, I'll say that much. Excellent length and athleticism, allowing him to be an elite college-level defender and rebounder, but his lack of an offensive game coupled with his anemic frame is worrisome.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he ended up more, say, Kenyon Martin than Kevin Garnett.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Huh, I see him as Josh Smith at worst if he doesn't really improve his offensive game much, and maybe like a Kevin Garnett (early career type) player if he gets his offense in gear, though I didn't watch a ton of college basketball.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Mood

Sports Logo

I actually think he'll be a superstar at some point, because he's a good player, with enough potential and work ethic to become such. However, I think that, in the short-term, he will NOT be the best player out of the 2012 Draft. I think Perry Jones III and Austin Rivers (projected by DX at 12 and 13 respectively) will surprise a lot of people.

Davis, Thomas Robinson, Kidd-Gilchrist, and Bradley Beal (if selected 1-4) will ultimately be disappointments for their teams next year, at least in their first year. Andre Drummond, if picked at 5, is my prediction for the player who will out-shine others if picked by a team who will start him and use him positively. And, as I stated, I think Jones III will show out heavily and be a viable contender for ROY. However, if the Bucks end up picking Jones at 12, I will crap. I hate the Bucks, and I want the Pacers to pick up Jones in the draft anyway.

I feel that, if Bird wants to really pull some strings this offseason, we should trade up for the Hornets' #10 pick, and a sign-and-trade for either Gordon or Kaman, for Collison and Hansbrough. Use the pick to get PJ3 (there's our 3-4-5 swing forward we need), and then use the last of our money (after putting a down payment on Hibbert) to get either Nash or Williams. Be sure to play PJ3 often, much unlike Pendergraph and Fesenko, and watch as he develops.

Profit.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Mood

Sports Logo

Also, these DraftExpress projections are all pre-measurement and pre-workout, so expect Rivers and Jones to jump way up the list when their speed, vertical, and athleticism start coming into play.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

From Wikipedia, for what it's worth:

"Davis verbally committed to Kentucky on August 13, 2010 amid a pay for play scandal,[13][16] choosing it over his other finalists, which were DePaul, Ohio State, and Syracuse.[17] He had officially visited DePaul and Ohio State.[16] On August 24, 2010, he became the number one rated player in the national class of 2011 at Scout.com.[18] The pay-for-play scandal had played out very publicly in the press. Before Davis committed to Kentucky, the Chicago Sun-Times reported that his father, Anthony Davis, Sr. asked Kentucky for $200,000 for a commitment from his son.[19] The report was initially released on Wednesday August 4, 2010 by Sun-Times reporter Michael O'Brien.[20] Citing "a reliable source," he posted the following text "rumors/sources that have Davis choosing Kentucky are also alleging that the commitment cost $200,000." before it was edited to say "rumors that Davis' commitment is for sale have surfaced since he cut his list of schools down about a month ago." and then removed later that day from the Sun-Times' high school sports website following a threat from a University of Kentucky lawyer.[20] A Lexington, Kentucky, law firm, sent a letter under the signature of attorney Stephen L. Barker, that expressed a "formal demand that you (O'Brien and the Sun-Times) withdraw the publication from any source from which it has been published, and issue an immediate statement that you know of no credible evidence indicating that there is any truth to the 'rumors' referred to in your article."[20] Baker's letter also threatened potential "punitive damages for your malicious and willful actions."[20] Anthony Davis Sr., declined to speak to the Chicago Tribune on August 4 regarding the allegation, although he denied the allegations to the Sun-Times stating "We haven't asked anyone for anything, and no one has offered us anything," on July 30 before the story broke.[20]
    The article was reposted on the Sun-Times' website and included in the print edition on Friday August 6 where O'Brien wrote "sources from three separate universities told the Sun-Times that Davis Sr. asked for money in return for his son's commitment, with the amounts ranging from $125,000 to $150,000."[21][22][23] The University of Kentucky and the Davis family both threatened to sue the Sun-Times over the article,[21][24] however, no lawsuits were filed by Kentucky or the Davis family. The Davises and Kentucky claim the restated publication was false.[25] Illinois' one-year statute of limitations on libel cases expired before any lawsuits were filed.[4]"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Perhaps I didn't see him play enough, but I'm not seeing him as the impact player all the talking heads think he will be. Sure, he was a defensive beast at the college level, but he's not going to have a physical advantage in the pros like he did there. And his offensive game leaves much to be desired right now.

Then again, I wasn't that impressed by Duncan coming out of college, so what do I know?

I was suprised how well Cody Zellar played against him. IU is lucky Zellar is staying considering he was easily a top 10 pick. I think Davis is gonna be a pretty good pro, better than Marcus Camby (who they keep comparing him to). Bet he lasts a LOT of years in the league.

The PF version of Marcus Camby? Not exactly the kind of thing that sells out arenas across the country, but could still be a great asset.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Banned

I think he is going to be the next Tyson Chandler, not a bad player to have.

Quote Originally Posted by sam kaiserblade View Post
    I was suprised how well Cody Zellar played against him. IU is lucky Zellar is staying considering he was easily a top 10 pick. I think Davis is gonna be a pretty good pro, better than Marcus Camby (who they keep comparing him to). Bet he lasts a LOT of years in the league.
    Zeller is one of the smartest players you will ever watch. He knew exactly how to attack Davis, and how not to. When he puts some bulk on (which he already has, apparently), he is going to be a force. I think he's a top 3 pick next year. He has an outside shot at #1.

Davis is phenomenal. Remember that he was only a freshman, and will get much better. On defense, he can do it all. He can even guard the friggin perimeter. His offense is better than you think. He can finish around the rim and has a few post moves. His offense is already better than Hibbert. Davis is for real
    David "And One" West

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

I think Davis is worth the hype. He is a superb defensive player and rim protector. Guys like that are hard to find. He is so long and has such great timing that he will be a good NBA player based on that end of the court alone. I think he will bulk up some (he almost has to) and will continue to develop his low post game. He's still learning how to play in the post after being a guard up until about three years ago.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Zeller is one of the smartest players you will ever watch. He knew exactly how to attack Davis, and how not to. When he puts some bulk on (which he already has, apparently), he is going to be a force. I think he's a top 3 pick next year. He has an outside shot at #1.
    I'm looking forward to seeing Zeller expand his game out to the perimeter a bit. Once that happens, he's gonna be insane.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing Zeller expand his game out to the perimeter a bit. Once that happens, he's gonna be insane.
    Zeller isn't a perimeter player. He is the next Kevin Mchale. Footwork is elite
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I don't watch a lot of college ball, but with the lockout I started watching IU at the start of their season, and I agree he's the real deal. Don't know how high in the draft he'll be, but certainly a lottery pick. I'd be thrilled to have him if possible, but that doesn't seem at all likely.

Not terribly athletic, but enough so to get by, smart, skilled, hard working, decent size. I like him a lot.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I think he could something defensively we have never seen. I think he is a premier perimeter defender.

Zeller > Davis

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Wow, I am somewhat shocked by what seems to be the consensus on this board. Davis is being sold short on the offensive side of his game. Compared to Dwight Howard, he is light years ahead of where Howard was.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kent beckley For This Useful Post:

I see Marcus Camby as his ceiling. This isn't bad, unless of course you're drafted #1 and expected to turn around a struggling franchise.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to 2minutes twoa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post
    I feel that, if Bird wants to really pull some strings this offseason, we should trade up for the Hornets' #10 pick, and a sign-and-trade for either Gordon or Kaman, for Collison and Hansbrough. Use the pick to get PJ3 (there's our 3-4-5 swing forward we need), and then use the last of our money (after putting a down payment on Hibbert) to get either Nash or Williams. Be sure to play PJ3 often, much unlike Pendergraph and Fesenko, and watch as he develops.

Profit.
    Wait, let me get this straight? You think the Hornets are going to agree to sign and trade Eric Gordon here, for Hansbrough and Collison, then for the fun of it, they'll throw in the #10 pick because they're feeling nice? Huh? What? AND THEN you think we'll continue to have so much cap space that after signing Eric Gordon, and Hibbert that we can go out and get Nash too?

WTF.
    Last edited by xBulletproof; 05-30-2012 at 10:15 PM.

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think he is the second best prospect in the draft besides Kidd-Gilchrist whom I think will be a superstar. I do agree though that Anthony Davis is slightly overrated though.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeremy For This Useful Post: