Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Bird press conference

Banned

Default Re: Bird press conference

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dakich just said on his radio show that he has heard Bird will not be returning.
    I like that Bird is leaving because I think that we need a new voice and somebody that's not in love with his players but at the same time I don't like hearing that he is leaving because Simon is not willing to spend money, call me crazy but if a billionaire doesn't want to spend money on his own team a poor guy like me doesn't feel like spending money on the billionaire's team.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I disagree with the highlighted part, I don't believe that attendance would have been lower that what already is(was).
    plus lets say we tank the next two seasons (not gonna happen I know but just hypothetical)

Next year there are 2 game changing prospects Noel and Shabazz Muhammad. Lets say we lose the lottery we get one of the 2 or lets say we get the 3rd pick or lower and we get a talent like Cody Zeller. The next season we tank again and get Jabari Parker. The season ticket base will double as soon as Jabari plays a game. IMO the best way to sell tickets is to get a franchise changing player lets say OKC had the Pacers not the Thunder you think the season ticket holder base would be as strong?? IMO not a chance. Now lets say the Pacers have the Thunder roster with Kevin Durant we would sell out damn near every game because we would have a guy who sells tickets and a team that has the upside to win it all plus the merchandise would be though the roof.

We are one player away from a championship level team. But that player is unattainable unless Deron Williams or Eric Gordon comes here (not gonna happen IMO Deron will go to a better market and EJ is a RFA)

I mean look at NOLA when CP3 was there that team wasn't necessarily championship level but they had a guy who sold tickets in CP3 and getting a championship level team was attainable if there FO was better when CP3 was there.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like that Bird is leaving because I think that we need a new voice and somebody that's not in love with his players but at the same time I don't like hearing that he is leaving because Simon is not willing to spend money, call me crazy but if a billionaire doesn't want to spend money on his own team a poor guy like me doesn't feel like spending money on the billionaire's team.
    Hint: Every GM is in love with the players he brought in, especially the ones they drafted.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I'm going to try and wait until we hear something official, but Dakich saying it does make me a lot more nervous than Peter Vescey or whoever it was saying it a couple months ago. If Dakich is right, then what else could it be besides the money? Bird seemed so optimistic about staying last week.

Hopefully Dakich is wrong.
    What did DD say?

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    What did DD say?
    I didn't hear it. I am referring to what MackeyRose said in post 163 and what billbradley said in post 164. Both of these are on page 7.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Cross Portland and ( possibly ) Orlando off the list as a possible destination for Morway:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...med_Blazers_GM

The Portland Trail Blazers have named Neil Olshey as the team's general manager.

"Neil is someone we've had on our radar for quite a while," said Larry Miller. "Over the past two seasons he has demonstrated success in constructing a roster, managing salary cap and evaluating player talent. We feel very fortunate to have him in Portland and are thrilled about what this means for the future."

Olshey had been working on a month-to-month agreement with the Clippers and had recently reached a tentative agreement on a new deal.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...#ixzz1wwdK6baD

http://www.cbssports.com/general/blo...h-the-clippers

The Orlando Magic's GM position remains vacant, with former Hornets GM Jeff Bower believed to be the favorite. Orlando is on track to have a GM in place with 7-10 days to spare before the June 28 draft, a person familiar with the process said.

Bower, Pacers exec David Morway, Olshey and Sixers exec Tony DiLeo had interviewed for the Portland job,
    which had been held down on an interim basis by Chad Buchanan since former GM Rich Cho was fired in May 2011 after less than a year on the job. Sources familiar with the process said Olshey almost didn't get an interview. Blazers advisor Bert Kolde, owner Paul Allen's right-hand man, arranged Olshey's interview. Clearly, Kolde's role in the process was important, since it was improbable at best that team president Larry Miller would hire a GM with the same agent as dethroned Portland executives Kevin Pritchard and Tom Penn.
    All I want is for some continuity in the Front Office if Bird leaves to ensure stability and a familiar chain of command within the Front Office....I'm hoping that the guy is Morway.
    Last edited by CableKC; 06-05-2012 at 02:31 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Hint: Every GM is in love with the players he brought in, especially the ones they drafted.
    I'm talking about love into a point were he get's offered a great deal for either one of his players and he would turn it down, I believe he turns good deals down because he over values his players.

And I don't believe that every GM is like him, just look at the Clippers, they traded a nice guy in EJ to NO for CP3, I believe that if Larry was in that same position he keeps EJ.

Note: please don't get all upset, I'm just giving my opinion and I don't want to hear about the "Larry Bird hater" BS, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    Maybe Bird was pressuring Simon? Now if Bird walks after winning EoY it's because Simon won't spend.
    Yea, this says more to me than anything.

He's willing to let the Executive of the Year walk because he doesn't want to spend.

Here is one thing I thought everyone knew about Larry Bird: He knows basketball.

We are talking about the only guy to ever be named MVP, Coach of the Year, and Executive of the Year. The guy knows his basketball and has had tremendous success on every level and your telling me that the owner isn't going to listen to him? Weak. I don't know what else to say about it. Bird knows what it will take for us to succeed and it sounds like Simon doesn't wanna hear about it.

I'm a business minded person, and while I obviously can't speak for the financial situation of the Pacers or the Simon's I can tell you one thing - you have to spend money to make money. You put Deron Williams on this Pacers team, I honestly thing we would have one of the higher attendance records in the NBA next year. Hell, Steve Nash might still be able to pull that - but regardless, its going to make a lot more money for the team than we made this year(second lowest attendance?). This is business 101, and while I'm aware Simon knows how to run a business, it sounds like he doesn't know how to run an NBA team.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I'm talking about love into a point were he get's offered a great deal for either one of his players and he would turn it down, I believe he turns good deals down because he over values his players.

And I don't believe that every GM is like him, just look at the Clippers, they traded a nice guy in EJ to NO for CP3, I believe that if Larry was in that same position he keeps EJ.

Note: please don't get all upset, I'm just giving my opinion and I don't want to hear abo the "Larry Bird hater" BS, thank you.
    For this specific example.....despite how much I think that Bird over values his Players....I think that if he was in the shoes of the guy running the Clippers FO...that he'd easily trade CP3 for EJ. We're talking about one of the top PGs in the league that can fundamentally change the direction and momentum of a Team....I don't think that Bird is that stupid. Now, if it was Lance for CP3....well, all bets are off

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Note: please don't get all upset, I'm just giving my opinion and I don't want to hear about the "Larry Bird hater" BS, thank you.
    Do you have any evidence that this has ever happened? Examples? Bird sticks by his guys, but if they let him down I don't think he has any problem trading them. He drafted Rush. Rush was one of his guys. He shipped him right on out of town. He hasn't forced our coaches to play Lance, even though it's pretty clear that Bird thinks very highly of him. I don't really know where this came from, but I don't think Bird is any different than any other league executive in this regard.

There is just way too much assuming here.

I believe every other GM in the NBA turned down trading their 15th man for LeBron James, so I wouldn't want anyone else. I think Larry would trade Pendergraph for James.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    For this specific example.....despite how much I think that Bird over values his Players....I think that if he was in the shoes of the guy running the Clippers FO...that he'd easily trade CP3 for EJ. We're talking about one of the top PGs in the league....I don't think that Bird is that stupid. Now, if it was Lance for CP3....well, all bets are off
    I can tell you that I would like to know what Boston was asking from us for Rondo, we had an opportunity(according to rumors) and we couldn't get a deal done.

The Clippers didn't want to make the deal swapping EJ for CP3, because of Eric Bledsoe at the beginning...

What offers are you talking about specifically? I'm not going after you for being a "Bird hater", I'm just curious. Saying he gets offered a great deal but turns it down because he is biased toward "his guys" is a pretty bold statement and I'm curious as to what you are specifically referring to.

Rush was one of "his guys" and was traded. Hibbert is "his guy", but no one wants him gone obviously. I know you don't like Granger, but I don't think Granger would bring in anything that great in a trade. PG is a Bird guy, but no one wants him gone. And don't you actually like Hansbrough?

I can tell you that I would like to know what Boston was asking from us for Rondo, we had an opportunity(according to rumors) and we couldn't get a deal done.

I don't believe for a second that Rondo was available for anyone other than CP3. I don't think we ever had an opportunity to begin with. Bill Simmons thinks that a lot of the Rondo rumors were planted by other teams in an effort to upset Rondo and I think that's a believable theory.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 06-05-2012 at 02:45 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Banned

Do you have any evidence that this has ever happened? Examples? Bird sticks by his guys, but if they let him down I don't think he has any problem trading them. He drafted Rush. Rush was one of his guys. He shipped him right on out of town. He hasn't forced our coaches to play Lance, even though it's pretty clear that Bird thinks very highly of him. I don't really know where this came from, but I don't think Bird is any different than any other league executive in this regard.
    One example is that according to rumors Boston wanted a pick plus Tyler for Ray Allen and we turned the deal down, I think it had to do more with him keeping Tyler than the pick and I am a Tyler Hansbrough fan but I don't think you turn that deal down.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    The Clippers didn't want to make the deal swapping EJ for CP3, because of Eric Bledsoe at the beginning...
    Bledsoe+ pick+ Aminu + Kaman + EJ, not just Bledsoe.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I don't believe for a second that Rondo was available for anyone other than CP3. I don't think we ever had an opportunity to begin with. Bill Simmons thinks that a lot of the Rondo rumors were planted by other teams in an effort to upset Rondo and I think that's a believable theory.
    I think that's plausible but I guess we would never know.

One example is that according to rumors Boston wanted a pick plus Tyler for Ray Allen and we turned the deal down, I think it had to do more with him keeping Tyler than the pick and I am a Tyler Hansbrough fan but I don't think you turn that deal down.
    When was this? This year? Last year? I don't remember hearing that rumor.

Also, you assume that it had to do more with Tyler than the pick. That is not something that will be (or can be) confirmed. Even if the rumor were true, Bird could have decided that he didn't want to blow his wad on Allen's salary. He could have decided that Allen was not a good fit for our roster because he would have forced Paul George to the bench. He might not have liked the fact that he had to give up a pick for an aging player who frankly wouldn't have changed our outlook in the near term that much. There are plenty of plausible explanations besides the one you decided on.

Sports Logo

I know that we have no real clue as to what really happened....but how do we know that it was Bird that overvalued his Players....as opposed to a more reasonable assumption that the likely cost would have been more than what the Pacers were willing to pay ( given that we are talking about a difference Maker like Rondo )?

I totally agree that Players like Granger maybe overvalued by Bird and we may have lost out on some deals that would have gotten us some good value....but in the case of Rondo....I can totally see that the asking price for a Player like Rondo was probably high and therefore more of a reason why any deal fell through.

So your willing to let the Executive of the Year go based on a rumor?

Interesting.

Also, I would turn down that trade too. Ray Allen has a season or two left, has shown a lot of signs of slowing down this year, and makes a lot of money. At this point, trading a first round pick and our only backup PF, helps us very little now, and hurts us in the future. Not to mention it would have moved Paul George to the bench.

Bledsoe+ pick+ Aminu + Kaman + EJ, not just Bledsoe.
    And they traded pick+aminu+kaman+EJ. They weren't willing to do the deal with Bledsoe, but were willing to do the deal without him. Therefore, he was straw that broke the camel's back.

Sports Logo

When was this? This year? Last year? I don't remember hearing that rumor.

Also, you assume that it had to do more with Tyler than the pick. That is not something that will be (or can be) confirmed. Even if the rumor were true, Bird could have decided that he didn't want to blow his wad on Allen's salary. He could have decided that Allen was not a good fit for our roster because he would have forced Paul George to the bench. He might not have liked the fact that he had to give up a pick for an aging player who frankly wouldn't have changed our outlook in the near term that much. There are plenty of plausible explanations besides the one you decided on.
    http://www.celticsblog.com/2012/3/9/...llen-to-pacers

"Here's the thing," Bird said. "When Danny and I talked about trading for Ray, he wanted Tyler Hansbrough and a first-round pick. If that's the value he's putting on Ray Allen, he ain't getting it. That tells me he's in no hurry to trade him. "All that talk about Danny blowing it up, about not making the same mistakes as Red, is fine. "But now that it's his turn to pull the trigger, it's a helluva lot harder than it looks."

29. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    So your willing to let the Executive of the Year go based on a rumor?

Interesting.

Also, I would turn down that trade too. Ray Allen has a season or two left, has shown a lot of signs of slowing down this year, and makes a lot of money. At this point, trading a first round pick and our only backup PF, helps us very little now, and hurts us in the future. Not to mention it would have moved Paul George to the bench.
    wasn't a rumor Bird spoke on the topic

http://tracking.si.com/2012/03/09/re...gh-draft-pick/

“Here’s the thing,” Bird said. “When Danny (Ainge) and I talked about trading for Ray, he wanted Tyler Hansbrough and a first-round pick. If that’s the value he’s putting on Ray Allen, he ain’t getting it. That tells me he’s in no hurry to trade him.”
    I understand not trading for Ray he wouldnt of put us over the hump so you really cant fault Bird for not doing it renting Ray Allen isnt worth a 1st.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

That's true, but a good GM knows when it's time to quit being stubborn and refusing to admit they made a mistake and move on. Some just have thicker skin and less ego than others.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post: