Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Bird press conference

Default Re: Bird press conference

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was told by someone who would know how much Boomer makes and it is no where near $1M. It is on a per game basis and then he gets extra to go to schools, birthday parties, league functions..........in a really really busy year he might make close to $100,000. probably averages around $70K most years.
    Guys, I already apologized and retracted the claim last night, like an hour or two after I first posted it... again, sorry... I WAS told this in 2005 by a few different people, I'm not making it up (why would I intentionally make a jackass out of myself? ) but obviously the info is very much wrong. It's a little embarrassing but really I don't need more people refuting it over and over again when I already corrected myself and apologized... thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    The folks you spoke to were yankin' your chain. A member of his family has quoted a number to me that was significantly, significantly, significantly lower. Hopefully the overuse of the word "significantly" might provide you with an idea of just how much 1M overstates the salary.
    Thanks for pointing this out, clearly I was way off, live and learn .

Good thing I'm the only one here who has ever been wrong about something....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out, clearly I was way off, live and learn .

Good thing I'm the only one here who has ever been wrong about something....

My only question: Why did you not immediately call "bull ****!!!!" on that when someone said it?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Wait... Boomer makes 1 mil per year?????
    How could a guy in a costume, meaning you could replace him at any time with nobody knowing the difference, make that kind of jack? I fully understand it is a physically demanding job but it's not like it's a job many people couldn't do with training and dedication.
    Supply and demand.

I either met the Wizards mascot, or someone in my family did, way back when I was in high school (way back 12 years ago )

The young man was a gymnist/dancer, and working for the Wizards took up a lot of his time.

A lot more goes into the job, and it is a lot harder then people think it is IMO.

Also, random sidenote but a kid who I went to school with did cheer leading and mascot stuff. Just found out he has been in 4 commercials in Mexico/the US and made it to the final round of the power rangers casting.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    Maybe we can get Foster to be Boomer?
    What would be great is if during a game he runs out of nowhere and clothes-lines someone getting into the paint for a dunk.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I was told by someone who would know how much Boomer makes and it is no where near $1M. It is on a per game basis and then he gets extra to go to schools, birthday parties, league functions..........in a really really busy year he might make close to $100,000. probably averages around $70K most years.
    $70K for jumping on trampolines and shooting t-shirts at the crowd! Man...if I only knew how to to cart-wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by pogi View Post
    $70K for jumping on trampolines and shooting t-shirts at the crowd! Man...if I only knew how to to cart-wheels.
    No No No.... It's 5K yr for shooting t shirts into the crowd, jumping on trampolines, corp event meet and greets, etc..... The rest is for lowering on/off the catwalk.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Bird sure gives a good press conference.

How anyone can question where the franchise is headed, after listening to this press conference, is simply not paying attention.

He's a shrewd guy. Of course he wants to consider a 3 year deal, given that he's fresh off EOY status! His value is higher than it will likely ever be. He should be angling for a raise, and fortunately for him, he has the performance behind him to back it up.

I also found it fascinating to hear him talk about RFAs... it's clear that the real motivation behind not chasing them relates to overpaying players. It would be interesting to see the data on RFAs that ended up signing onto another team correlated to their "real value".

I've always enjoyed this website:

http://www.totalplayervalue.com

This site gets to using stats as a way of assessing player value. Relevant to our team:

http://www.totalplayervalue.com/most...12-reg-season/

This ranks Hibbert as being worth 12.2mil/year based on his performance this year, and surprisingly, Paul George as worth 10.6mil/year.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Per David Aldridge:

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/features/david_aldridge/06/04/morning-tip-who-might-go-where/index.html

Season complete. Will Larry Bird stay or go? I'm told either way, Donnie Walsh -- who's pulled out of the GM search in Orlando, according to a source -- won't be coming back for a reunion, feeling the Pacers have a strong enough front office in place for a seamless succession.
    From your lips to God's ears, David.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    Per David Aldridge:

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/features/david_aldridge/06/04/morning-tip-who-might-go-where/index.html

From your lips to God's ears, David.
    A Seemless Succession, doesn't that suggest that he speculates that if there was a new guy running the show that he would be promoted from within? as in Morway?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    A Seemless Succession, doesn't that suggest that he speculates that if there was a new guy running the show that he would be promoted from within? as in Morway?
    Yep, Morway and/or Pritchard.

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    Yep, Morway and/or Pritchard.
    This would be my sincere hope.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Dakich just said on his radio show that he has heard Bird will not be returning.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

billbradley

I just heard it too. He said something like "from as good of a source you could have."

And Kravitz speculated that you couldn't blame Simon for not wanting to spend.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by wseward View Post
    I bet Bird knows more than you.... there is a reason why we have kept Lance around.
    I am not a Lance lover. In fact, I don't much like him. But even I can see that he could be developed, he has abiltiy. He isn't a PG but he can play the other spot. He has a lot to work on. Hopefully this year he can prove he is worth the effort. And why not? He isn't part of the rotation anyway so it hurts little to have him on the bench.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    I just heard it too. He said something like "from as good of a source you could have."

And Kravitz speculated that you couldn't blame Simon for not wanting to spend.
    If Simon wont spend than I am done spending. Was a season ticket holder for many of the ****** "rebuilding"(terrible rebuilding method BTW) years. Last year was the first season in some time I didn't at least go to 20 games. If Simon doesn't spend I will watch from home and not go to one game.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    If Simon wont spend than I am done spending. Was a season ticket holder for many of the ****** "rebuilding"(terrible rebuilding method BTW) years. Last year was the first season in some time I didn't at least go to 20 games. If Simon doesn't spend I will watch from home and not go to one game.
    Good for you. The best way to get an owner to spend money he doesn't have is to prevent him from getting any money. THAT will teach him a lesson.

You think maybe you want to see what the team is LIKE with a reasonable salary structure first? Or is the primary draw for you level of the payroll and not the product on the floor? Did you REALLY think the product on the floor this year was not worth supporting?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Good for you. The best way to get an owner to spend money he doesn't have is to prevent him from getting any money. THAT will teach him a lesson.

You think maybe you want to see what the team is LIKE with a reasonable salary structure first? Or is the primary draw for you level of the payroll and not the product on the floor? Did you REALLY think the product on the floor this year was not worth supporting?

We aren't going to get to a championship level team by not spending on free agents(unless we would of totally rebuilt like the Cavs did after Lebron left like NOLA after CP3 left OKC the Spurs and the list goes on and on) . If Bird is leaving after just the other day was stoked about coming back that is huge red flags that Simon isnt gonna do what it takes to put a championship level team on the floor. Not going after RFA is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Why would a owner limit his team with stupid rules. The product was better but we are kidding ourselves if we think the "core" we have can win a ring. That is the reason I wanted to rebuild the right way but Simon is content with putting a decent product on the floor that doesnt have a shot at a ring(if in fact it is true Bird is leaving)
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 06-05-2012 at 01:33 PM.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Not going after RFA is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Why would a owner limit his team with stupid rules.
    I agree. It's one of the strangest things I've ever heard in all of my years of following sports. Is there any other team in professional sports that imposes such a harsh self-inflicted rule on itself?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

We aren't going to get to a championship level team by not spending(unless we would of totally rebuilt like the Cavs did after Lebron left like NOLA after CP3 left and the list goes on and on) . If Bird is leaving after just the other day was stoked about coming back that is huge red flags that Simon isnt gonna do what it takes to put a championship level team on the floor. Not going after RFA is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Why would a owner limit his team with stupid rules. The product was better but we are kidding ourselves if we think the "core" we have can win a ring. That is the reason I wanted to rebuild the right way but Simon is content with putting a decent product on the floor that doesnt have a shot at a ring(if in fact it is true Bird is leaving)
    Maybe Simon needs to put a quality team on the floor for a few years that has a shot at making back some of his losses before he goes for broke (literally)?

The RFA "rule" isn't out of politeness, it is to avoid overspending, which this team cannot afford to do. No matter how much people think a particular player is an absolute win no matter how much he is paid, something can (and for this franchise often will) go wrong.

You know how I feel about the "right way" of rebuilding - to be so bad that you get a chance at that high draft pick for multiple years, meanwhile the attendance drops even further than we already saw it drop. By the time a player comes along who actually works out, it is too late for the franchise.

I make no bones about it - I'd rather see the team continually get to a high mid level and stay there than go for broke to get a championship where the risk is nothing less than losing the team to another city.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

28. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

What came first, the chicken or the egg? You can't build solid attendance in Indianapolis unless you have a team that competes for several years and one of the ways to build a better team is to spend money. If you aren't spending as much money as other teams in the league then you are constraining yourself.

I respect P4E's opinion, even if it's not what I myself will do next season. Indianapolis taxpayers are basically shareholders in the Pacers. Sure they don't have votes or anything like that, but they have spent millions on the arena and team. The city gave them a 33 million bailout two years ago. That pretty LED band that goes around the arena is because of taxpayer money. If you aren't happy with the way that the team you help fund through your taxpayer dollars is conducting itself then I can sympathize with not wanting to spend even more money on them.

If the Pacers were exclusively operated by Herb Simon's money then people really wouldn't have much of a right to complain. But it's our money too. Everyone who has ever paid a tax in Indy has helped fund the Pacers.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Banned

I really hope that the reason that Bird is not coming back is anything else but Simon not wanting to spend money I really do.

Banned

Maybe Simon needs to put a quality team on the floor for a few years that has a shot at making back some of his losses before he goes for broke (literally)?

The RFA "rule" isn't out of politeness, it is to avoid overspending, which this team cannot afford to do. No matter how much people think a particular player is an absolute win no matter how much he is paid, something can (and for this franchise often will) go wrong.

You know how I feel about the "right way" of rebuilding - to be so bad that you get a chance at that high draft pick for multiple years, meanwhile the attendance drops even further than we already saw it drop. By the time a player comes along who actually works out, it is too late for the franchise.

I make no bones about it - I'd rather see the team continually get to a high mid level and stay there than go for broke to get a championship where the risk is nothing less than losing the team to another city.
    I disagree with the highlighted part, I don't believe that attendance would have been lower that what already is(was).

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I really hope that the reason that Bird is not coming back is anything else but Simon not wanting to spend money I really do.

I'm going to try and wait until we hear something official, but Dakich saying it does make me a lot more nervous than Peter Vescey or whoever it was saying it a couple months ago. If Dakich is right, then what else could it be besides the money? Bird seemed so optimistic about staying last week.

Hopefully Dakich is wrong.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

billbradley

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    If Dakich is right, then what else could it be besides the money? Bird seemed so optimistic about staying last week.
    Maybe Bird was pressuring Simon? Now if Bird walks after winning EoY it's because Simon won't spend.