Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Bird press conference

Default Re: Bird press conference

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This off-season could really do in Miami. If they make it through a long Finals appearance, there is USA Basketball as well. The short season that will end late, and goes right into Olympics and then starts on time next year will really impact their health IMO. They could be looking at either having multiple nagging injuries to their superstars or come out of the gates really slow and have to work harder to get through the playoffs next year.
    i like your thinking. it does make quite a bit of sense.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wseward View Post
    I bet Bird knows more than you.... there is a reason why we have kept JOB around.
    Yes, the logic is infallible. JOB, Tyler, Lance...it's always just a matter of time till you all see. Diener, Watson, KRush...just hang in there.

Bobby Knight syndrome - people love a guy so much that even his mistakes are part of a plan you just don't understand. IU fans used to say that he had them lose on purpose just to teach them lessons...oh, except for the undefeated team. I guess that team taught him the errors of his ways.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 05-30-2012 at 06:25 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Resigning Jeff WAS a mistake. He didn't do anything to earn the money, as far as I know.

It was, however, a very tiny mistake since it carried no clear consequences or impact, either positively or negatively, toward the product on the floor. We still had money to sign others, we still had roster spots, and it is certainly not clear that we were relying on Jeff to any extent. It was a risk that didn't pan out. Small risk / possible significant reward / actual non-event.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I'm of the other belief it was a grevious mistake/blunder/error.
    Grevious??? Really??

grevious

1 - causing or characterized by severe pain, suffering, or sorrow
    grievous wound
    2 - oppressive, onerous
    3 - serious, grave

Sigh.

One more time.

We only paid him $3 million, he wasn't taking anyone else's roster spot, we had roster spots and $ left over after signing him that we didn't use, and his impact on the cap was basically nonexistent - up until we signed Fez and Barbosa we weren't even at the minimum salary number even WITH his salary. Those are all facts.

We had quite a bit of $$ to go and sign another backup big even AFTER we signed Foster. We chose not to, until we got Fez at least. Lou Amundson ended up getting most of the minutes Foster would have gotten.

If your argument is that the front office screwed up by not having another better backup big other than Lou / Pendergraph / Fez in case Foster couldn't play, then fine, I don't necessarily agree but I can see the logic.

But saying that Jeff's $3-million salary that didn't even put us over the league minimum salary limit was somehow the reason we didn't end up with Kaman or some other great center is just factually wrong.

It's non-issue, seriously. Can we please move on?

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Yes, the logic is infallible. JOB, Tyler, Lance...it's always just a matter of time till you all see. Diener, Watson, KRush...just hang in there.

Bobby Knight syndrome - people love a guy so much that even his mistakes are part of a plan you just don't understand. IU fans used to say that he had them lose on purpose just to teach them lessons...oh, except for the undefeated team. I guess that team taught him the errors of his ways.
    I think both of the extremes are ridiculous. It seems like there is a group that thinks he can do no wrong, and another group that wants to "nail" him for everything. Of all the things to focus on this season, people are getting bent out of shape about Jeff Foster??? Really???

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by P_George View Post

When you have a terrific bench, your starters can rest. When your starters rest, they play better. It's not a hard concept. Every team in the league tries to improve their bench because it improves your entire team.

THANK YOU!!!

Common sense and understanding.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    And here is your answer.

It is going to be easier to fix the bench than the starters. Thus you close the the gap.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    He took a roster spot and money that could have been used else where. Foster's back keeping him from playing was not a surprise. The plan should have been to use the resources that were poured into Foster, into someone who could stay on the court.
    We had cap space, and roster spots we didn't even use. How was Foster a mitigating factor in any way?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

I suppose they thought they would get more out of Foster. I also suppose they thought they would get more out of Granger, Collison, Hill, Hibbert, West, Lance, Paul, etc.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

Wait, are you actually insinuating that you think you know more than Bird?

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Foster couldnt stop leBron nor Wade and he dam sure cant be described as a pur point guard or instant offense off the bench

If Bird didnt offer 5 million to Foster believe me he would have had no problem getting close to that elsewhere
    Sittin on top of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I'm glad you don't feel like Mr Bird should be scrutinized by others who feel the re-signing of Foster was a mistake. I'm of the other belief it was a grevious mistake/blunder/error. I stated so at the time too.

YES, Foster was sorely, pun intended, missed in the playoffs. I would have loved to have had Foster available for the playoffs. I'd liked to have had a TRUE b/u Center to have b/u Foster all season long and for the playoffs as well. But alas, Mr. Bird didn't feel it was necessary as Lou, and a injured Pendergraph could handle the position of being Foster's b/u. I never quite understood the logic of having an injured player to b/u an injured player, but apparently Mr. Bird didn't see that as a problem.

As far as Foster having suitors, I'm sure any possible suitor is quite pleased they didn't pay for the services Foster gave the Pacers.

As for being a Monday Morning Qtrback, some saw what this was from the git go same as the 12.6 mil 2 year re-signing of Foster who played a whopping 16-17 games the 1st year, 09-010, of that new contract. Nothing like compounding one's mistake with doing the same mistake again. Makes me wonder if Foster hadn't retired if Bird wouldn't have gone for a hat trick.

As I stated in my previous post in this thread, with all honesty, I'm looking forward to seeing what Bird will do this off season. Hopefully, he will pluck another gem like DWest for the coming season. No one is looking more forward to next season than I am!!!
    You do realize Jeff Foster made just 3 million this season. Just exactly who were we going to get that was worth anything with that kind of money? Please enlighten me. Rest assured, you weren't going to get a frontcourt differencemaker like Foster.

Rather than basing your opinions on other people's interpretations of the press conference, I highly suggest you all watch it for yourselves. I just did, and I'm glad I did.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/bird-sounds-man-work-do

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

JJ Varea was the one guy killing Miami in the pick and roll, Varea and Terry(a free agent by the way).
    Well the numbers show that the Mavs starters are pretty much the ones that won the championship, that's my point, if our starters are better we don't need to worry about what our bench is doing, yeah is nice to have it all but as the Mavs show you only need one or two players to help you(Varea,Terry) not a whole unit of bench players as Larry Bird and many of you guys here think.
    Who's Varea? I think you mean Barea.

On topic now, Hibbert, Hill and George don't get better? Our starting five was getting it done against Miami and I believe they will get better with experience and age, so why not add another reliable bench peice to strengthen the 8 man rotation come playoff time next year. I like their chemistry, which shouldn't be under-valued. I want Williams as much as the next guy, but the brass is not interested in spending on the luxury tax to keep guys like George in particular. To sign Hibbert and Williams would put us in that category next year already.

Plus, Williams is a locker room killer. I'm not sure why I believe that, I just sense it.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

How much we really learn from this presser?

Isn't so much of this bluffs and positioning? If Bird really plans to trade a piece or two, doesn't he want to appear like he loves every player and has no plan for trades—to keep their value up?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan View Post
    I was specifically told in 2005 by multiple ppl at PS&E that Boomer made that much. You'd be amazed how much some of the mascots make. It's a really tough and intense job when you think about it, not anyone can do it.
    there is no way

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

Why doesn't Herb let Larry bid for RFA i dont understand i almost guarantee someone will offer Hibbert something ?

i dont understand

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

J7F

Yes he was a good locker room precense when he was in the locker room.....

And thanks god your are not our GM or you would expend crazy money on "mentors"...
    Actually, I'm thinking cdash far more wishes he were the site Admin right now as opposed to being the Pacers GM. But, I suppose that if you asked him for his personal preference, he would tell you that choosing between the two would be quite difficult.

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Am I the only one that heard what Bird said about the salary cap? Everyone on here is saying that Bird is definitely not going after D Will.

At the 6:10 mark in the video when talking about the salary cap Bird says," It's not like you want to spend it all at once, now if that one player comes up and you want to go after him, then yeah, we'll go after him."

That one player to me would be Deron Williams. It doesn't mean we'll get him but it also doesn't mean we won't try.
    Last edited by The Sleeze; 05-30-2012 at 10:17 PM.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Sleeze For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    Am I the only one that heard what Bird said about the salary cap? Everyone on hear is saying that Bird is definitely not going after D Will.

At the 6:10 mark in the video when talking about the salary cap Bird says," It's not like you want to spend it all at once, now if that one player comes up and you want to go after him, then yeah, we'll go after him."

That one player to me would be Deron Williams. It doesn't mean we'll get him but it also doesn't mean we won't try.
    I have not doubt that we are going to try, maybe they are going to do the same thing they did to try to get Nene but at the end of the day he is not going to come here.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Actually, I'm thinking cdash far more wishes he were the site Admin right now as opposed to being the Pacers GM. But, I suppose that if you asked him for his personal preference, he would tell you that choosing between the two would be quite difficult.
    I don't want either job

As usual, vnzla completely morphed what I was saying to fit his own narrative. $3 million isn't a crazy amount of money in the grand scheme of NBA salaries. It was a one year deal for a guy who has meant a lot to the franchise. I don't mean to go around signing all the milk drinking old farts to absurd contracts, but I believe there is a lot to be said for veteran leadership. You need a couple of guys like that on your team, especially if you have a relatively inexperienced bunch.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan View Post
    I was specifically told in 2005 by multiple ppl at PS&E that Boomer made that much. You'd be amazed how much some of the mascots make. It's a really tough and intense job when you think about it, not anyone can do it.
    The folks you spoke to were yankin' your chain. A member of his family has quoted a number to me that was significantly, significantly, significantly lower. Hopefully the overuse of the word "significantly" might provide you with an idea of just how much 1M overstates the salary.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

I have not doubt that we are going to try, maybe they are going to do the same thing they did to try to get Nene but at the end of the day he is not going to come here.

We actually need to hope he goes to Dallas if he doesn't come here, because that will give us a shot at Nash. I'm convinced that Nash will go to Dallas if that gig is open.

What happens if we dont get Nash or Deron?

we are gonna be screwed

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    What happens if we dont get Nash or Deron?

we are gonna be screwed
    We would go and get Andre Miller.