Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Bird press conference

Mood

Default Re: Bird press conference

If there is a disagreement over how much to spend, I'd love to know what Simon's self-imposed cap is.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At the time I posted mostly on RealGM. I was strongly pushing for us to trade Dunleavy - and while this is a teams fan base(not GM), about 80% of Raptor fans were willing to trade Bargnani and a 1st for Dunleavy. Again, just a fan base, but he did have value.
    You've made your point that he has value to a fan base, not a front office. The difference between the two is like night and day.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    Especially when the guy telling you to take the 70% pay cut is worth 1.8 Billion.
    http://www.forbes.com/profile/herbert-simon/
    What does that have to do with running a business?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

RWB

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    If this is really true, then I predict in time we'll learn that this is a Bird/Simon salary issue. Bird wants to get paid, Simon wants to reduce his pay. Heard this explicitly from people from within PS&E.
    Thats usually how it works, turn around a franchise become the EOY and then you are forced to take a pay cut. If this is true it really speaks to how disconnected Herb truly is. No wonder their malls are losing money hand over fist.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MiaDragon For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    If there is a disagreement over how much to spend, I'd love to know what Simon's self-imposed cap is.
    I think Bird has mentioned keeping the payroll at the $65m level. That's about $5m short of the luxury tax line. Surprised me because the Pacers in previous years had no problem spending up to the tax line.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    No matter how much you care about money, being asked to take a 70% paycut is going to **** you off.
    If this is true it is a smack in the face of Bird and the fans. If our owner is not willing to reward or the very least continue to pay Bird after winning EOY it shows that he is not in it to win it that much.

I do not care how much disinterest you have in money nobody is going to take that drastic of a cut in pay after being named top of their field that year.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MiaDragon View Post
    Thats usually how it works, turn around a franchise become the EOY and then you are forced to take a pay cut. If this is true it really speaks to how disconnected Herb truly is. No wonder their malls are losing money hand over fist.
    His malls are losing money because the overheads of running such large buildings make them less competitive in the internet age of commerce. That is why. It's a dying form of business that will probably never go completely out of business in larger areas. There are so many malls in this country that are wayyyyyy too big for their population base at this point. The high unemployment doesn't help anything either.

The biggest thing Herb needs to consider is the long-term viability of those large buildings. Do you convert them to corporate space? Do you convert them to large warehouses for grocery stores or internet businesses? He won't be able to maintain a growth pattern in the mall business, but if he plays his cards right by repurposing his properties he has a chance to withstand the downturn and reinvigorate his asset structure.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

Kind of an interesting link on some folks who work in the office part of the NBA.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/NBA-Reviews-E2908.htm
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    I do not care how much disinterest you have in money nobody is going to take that drastic of a cut in pay after being named top of their field that year.
    In this economy I'm not so sure. Actually that's a lot of money.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Bird has career earnings of ?? millions of dollars and isn't supposed to care about 3 million but Simon has 1.8 billion and he is?

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    His malls are losing money because the overheads of running such large buildings make them less competitive in the internet age of commerce. That is why. It's a dying form of business that will probably never go completely out of business in larger areas. There are so many malls in this country that are wayyyyyy too big for their population base at this point. The high unemployment doesn't help anything either.

The biggest thing Herb needs to consider is the long-term viability of those large buildings. Do you convert them to corporate space? Do you convert them to large warehouses for grocery stores or internet businesses? He won't be able to maintain a growth pattern in the mall business, but if he plays his cards right by repurposing his properties he has a chance to withstand the downturn and reinvigorate his asset structure.

Some of the rules and regulations passed down by Simon Malls are beyond ridiculous. They effectively handcuff the individual malls from making them self more marketable and profitable. I'm not going to get into specifics but the next time you are in one of their malls take a look at what stores/restaurants are there and who is not. It goes well beyond the current economic climate and increasing internet sales.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MiaDragon View Post
    Some of the rules and regulations passed down by Simon Malls are beyond ridiculous. They effectively handcuff the individual malls from making them self more marketable and profitable. I'm not going to get into specifics but the next time you are in one of their malls take a look at what stores/restaurants are there and who is not. It goes well beyond the current economic climate and increasing internet sales.
    Absolutely. Every company has "alliances of ideology" that prevent them from being run better.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Are ANY NBA teams or major sports franchises profitable though? I ask that honestly. Most if not all sports franchise owners appear to be moguls of one kind or another; they have made hundreds of millions of dollars at least doing other things and any sports franchise they own is viewed as more of an expensive toy than a business.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Are ANY NBA teams or major sports franchises profitable though? I ask that honestly. Most if not all sports franchise owners appear to be moguls of one kind or another; they have made hundreds of millions of dollars at least doing other things and any sports franchise they own is viewed as more of an expensive toy than a business.
    Lakers come to mind. Probably Boston, Chicago and for now, Miami. Other than that, I believe the model is to break even.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I've heard Simon wants Bird to move down from 5m a year to under 1.5m. I dont think Bird really cares about his own salary though(i mean he doesnt strike me as a big spender who cares about money) I think it is more about spending on the team.
    at this rate boomer will out-earn bird by the 2013-4 season...

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

When the guy your giving the pay cut to just won Exec of the Year and turned your business around, and you run him off with a huge salary cut that's not good business.

Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    Lakers come to mind. Probably Boston, Chicago and for now, Miami. Other than that, I believe the model is to break even.
    or make the books to look like you only broke even......

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiaDragon For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    When the guy your giving the pay cut to just won Exec of the Year and turned your business around, and you run him off with a huge salary cut that's not good business.
    But that wasn't the comment. The comment was that cutting Bird's salary wasn't right because Simon is a billionaire. Whether you agree with cutting the salary or not (and the levels of speculation based on nothingness around here are astounding), how much a business owner is worth should have nothing to do with the validity or lack of same regarding business decisions. He became a billionaire by making good decisions, not by running businesses based on his ability to lose billions of dollars and still be ok.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

But that wasn't the comment. The comment was that cutting Bird's salary wasn't right because Simon is a billionaire. Whether you agree with cutting the salary or not (and the levels of speculation based on nothingness around here are astounding), how much a business owner is worth should have nothing to do with the validity or lack of same regarding business decisions. He became a billionaire by making good decisions, not by running businesses based on his ability to lose billions of dollars and still be ok.
    I never said cutting Bird's salary was wrong just because Simon is a billionaire, that's just how you interpreted it. How much a business owner is worth definitely plays a role in business decisions because ultimately the more money he has the more he can invest in the business. And on your speculation comment, this whole board is based on speculation and opinions and would be rather dull if it was just factual news stories posted.