Banned

Default Re: Bird press conference

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ....or Lowry, or Dragic
    Lowry is not a free agent.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

But do these guys really put us over the top from pretenders to contenders i think the only two that do are Nash and Deron

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    What happens if we dont get Nash or Deron?

we are gonna be screwed
    I think they would stand pat. Maybe take a flier on a point guard like Teague or Machado in the draft.

My feeling from listening to Bird's presser is that he thinks we weren't too far off this year, and that with our younger guys continuing to improve (namely, Paul George), we don't necessarily have to make huge upgrades anywhere. If we improve the bench and have a rock solid 8 man rotation we could contend. That's the general feeling I get, anyway.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I don't mean to go around signing all the milk drinking old farts to absurd contracts
    Hey, I found out that my old farts were due to milk drinking! Forever linked!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to QuickRelease For This Useful Post:

Wait... Boomer makes 1 mil per year?????
    How could a guy in a costume, meaning you could replace him at any time with nobody knowing the difference, make that kind of jack? I fully understand it is a physically demanding job but it's not like it's a job many people couldn't do with training and dedication.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    How much we really learn from this presser?

Isn't so much of this bluffs and positioning? If Bird really plans to trade a piece or two, doesn't he want to appear like he loves every player and has no plan for trades—to keep their value up?
    I don't really think so; everyone has their opinions on these players already, and unless a GM is just publicly throwing a player under the proverbial bus, what he says in the press isn't likely to change much of anything IMO.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    Am I the only one that heard what Bird said about the salary cap? Everyone on here is saying that Bird is definitely not going after D Will.

At the 6:10 mark in the video when talking about the salary cap Bird says," It's not like you want to spend it all at once, now if that one player comes up and you want to go after him, then yeah, we'll go after him."

That one player to me would be Deron Williams. It doesn't mean we'll get him but it also doesn't mean we won't try.
    Good catch and thanks to Hicks for posting the link to the conference.
    When I hear it coming from Bird his potential plans sound much more promising. He in no way says that we're only going after bench players.
    At one point he says that Herb knows where the teams weaknesses are the same as he does, and we're going to address that.
    That also seems to indicate that the pg position will be addressed. My gut still tells me he's going after Deron or Nash and the bench will be better by adding a starter and moving Hill or DC to the bench full time.
    Just because Bird brings up the challenges that the team faces like signing our own free agents and existing in a small market, it doesn't mean that he's only going to stand pat and bring in a mediocre bench player in free agency.
    After listening to the conference there is know one else that I'd want to run this team. He'll make the right move this summer and I think he'll do it quickly.
    Last edited by Pacerized; 05-31-2012 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Wait... Boomer makes 1 mil per year?????
    How could a guy in a costume, meaning you could replace him at any time with nobody knowing the difference, make that kind of jack? I fully understand it is a physically demanding job but it's not like it's a job many people couldn't do with training and dedication.
    LOL seriously, I could say that about almost any job.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

About 80 percent of the NBA teams, including the Orlando Magic, hire full-time employees to play mascots, with the starting annual salary in the $40,000-$45,000 range, Raymond said. About half of the teams in the other major sports leagues hire full-time workers, and half pay their mascots on a per-game basis, with payment in the $100-$200 per-game range, he added.
    http://www.sptimes.com/2006/11/20/Bu...in_cheer.shtml

I seen on the half time broadcast, this year that boomer does like several hundred appearances throughout the year in addition to the 41 home games. Not that great of a job, when you factor in all the training time he has to put into keep in shape. Then all the random appearances throughout the year, and the game night. He is probably underpaid, or his schedule is such that any additional earning potential is greatly hampered. Nearly impossible to hold a 2nd job with that kind of schedule.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    The folks you spoke to were yankin' your chain. A member of his family has quoted a number to me that was significantly, significantly, significantly lower. Hopefully the overuse of the word "significantly" might provide you with an idea of just how much 1M overstates the salary.
    http://www.ehow.com/info_8087046_salary-mascot.html

Yup, I'll eat some crow - the above article says salaries start about $45k to $50k a year.

The people "yanking my chain" were people high enough on the food chain to know though, and they had no motive to lie to me (or so I thought). And I was definitely told that, I still remember it because I was surprised to hear it. Weird. Sorry about that.

Luckily it meant almost nothing in the point I was trying to make, which was that just because Foster couldn't play the whole season doesn't mean he wasn't bringing value to the team in other ways.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Listening to the press conference is a lot different than reading what people were saying about it.

"Herb's going to spend the money. He's excited about our team. He knows as well as everyone where our weaknesses are, and we're going to try to strengthen it."

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I seen on the half time broadcast, this year that boomer does like several hundred appearances throughout the year in addition to the 41 home games. Not that great of a job, when you factor in all the training time he has to put into keep in shape. Then all the random appearances throughout the year, and the game night. He is probably underpaid, or his schedule is such that any additional earning potential is greatly hampered. Nearly impossible to hold a 2nd job with that kind of schedule.

Why would you need a second job when you are making a mil a year? Who wouldn't work 16 hours a day for that?(at least for a few years)

21. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Regardless of whether the Pacers were under the cap or right at the minimum payment line the money paid Foster wasn't printed at Kinkos. Herb Simon had to get those funds from somewhere.

The number that matters in this debate is the number we don't know- Herb's budget for player salaries. Just because the Pacers technically could've spent more if they'd wanted to under CBA rules doesn't mean they would when looking at their own bottom line.

My point being- You can debate whether or not he was worth his salary or worth the gamble on one hand, but you can't justify it on the other hand by saying we had more cap space anyway. ...Because we're talking real money and not Monopoly money.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Regardless of whether the Pacers were under the cap or right at the minimum payment line the money paid Foster wasn't printed at Kinkos. Herb Simon had to get those funds from somewhere.

The number that matters in this debate is the number we don't know- Herb's budget for player salaries. Just because the Pacers technically could've spent more if they'd wanted to under CBA rules doesn't mean they would when looking at their own bottom line.

My point being- You can debate whether or not he was worth his salary or worth the gamble on one hand, but you can't justify it on the other hand by saying we had more cap space anyway. ...Because we're talking real money and not Monopoly money.
    Simon said during the off season that he's willing to spend up to the tax line.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think they would stand pat. Maybe take a flier on a point guard like Teague or Machado in the draft.

My feeling from listening to Bird's presser is that he thinks we weren't too far off this year, and that with our younger guys continuing to improve (namely, Paul George), we don't necessarily have to make huge upgrades anywhere. If we improve the bench and have a rock solid 8 man rotation we could contend. That's the general feeling I get, anyway.
    agree he has flaws but to me they are easily correctable. His only going left is one I think he can fix if he fixes it his game will really take off at the next level. Sneaky good athlete (when in shape like his senior year) and IMO will be a good defender he is only 6"1 but he plays bigger has a nice wingspan. Watching his growth from junior year to senior year was incredible he showed he has work ethic and playing for Brazil really lite a fire under him. I just hope he looks bad in workouts and people in the FO are as high on him as I am. He IMO is just what we need.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Forget Foster. The Pacers are paying a furry a $1 mil to bounce around like an idiot. Foster was a bargain.

Great move by Bird.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Maybe we can get Foster to be Boomer?

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That was my feeling as well. But I don't think we were nearly as close as Bird appeared to. Yes, we won a series. But it took a bunch of injuries to high profile guys for that to happen. We semi-threatened the Heat after they lost Bosh but as soon as they figured out how to deal with that, and frankly take us remotely seriously, they took us to the woodshed.

I don't see the huge leap coming from Paul George that most do and that Bird has put his chips on.

I think Roy Hibbert will get better but not enough to be a true franchise player. He's probably near his peak right now.

Danny Granger has been steadily regressing for three seasons. I don't see any reason to expect him to improve.

David West is exactly the type of leader we've needed but he's unquestionably on the downside of his career. I think he'll be better next year simply because of further healing in his knees but not enough to push us over the top.

George Hill is a good combo guard but if you're starting him, you're not a real contender.

Darren Collison is an okay combo guard in a point guard's body.

You all know how I feel about Tyler Hansbrough.

Bird still seems to be in love with Lance Stephenson, which is frightening for a few reasons in my opinion. Sure the off court risks are there but outside of that I don't see at all the talent that Bird says he sees. I still think he's just ****ing with us on that but the joke has gotten tiresome.

If that is the 8-man core that we need to keep growing, we've got a second round ceiling. It's going to take a big move. It may even take a few big moves. But I know that sitting tight isn't the way to go. I think Bird knows that too. I always take everything he says in press conferences with a truckload of salt simply because I know his personality. I think he'll swing for the fences. We may strike out, but I'd rather give it the chance to get over the wall rather than being content with a bloop single. I assume Bird feels the same way.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

billbradley

Kravitz: Larry Bird will ask Herb Simon to raise Pacers' payroll
    This much we know: Hibbert and Hill, the two restricted free agents, are coming back. Unless somebody makes Hibbert an insane offer of more than $14 million per season, the Pacers will match and can give him a five-year deal when others can only offer four. Same with Hill, at lesser numbers.

The rest of the nucleus is set.

If there are going to be moves, they figure to be moves that don't warrant big headlines. Williams isn't coming. Steve Nash is a long shot, especially given his age and defensive deficiencies.

Expect more trades, like the one-sided deals that brought Leandro Barbosa to town. Expect some smaller free agent acquisitions, unless something spectacular crosses Bird's desk and turns into a sign-and-trade.

Bird's biggest focus will be the bench.
    The good news is, the Pacers are finally embarking on a summer when the calling cry is something other than "blow it up and start over again." They're starting to build something special here, with a terrific young coach in Frank Vogel and some promising young players who can't help but get better.

The question is how Bird and the Pacers will take that next big step so they'll still be playing basketball in June.
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...=mod|nextstory

32. The Following User Says Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    Maybe we can get Foster to be Boomer?
    I thought Bird was Boomer?1 He DOES make $1M per year, you know...

1refers to the old "Boomer for Adults" description for Larry Bird.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Forget Foster. The Pacers are paying a furry a $1 mil to bounce around like an idiot. Foster was a bargain.

Great move by Bird.
    A bargain if you ask me, he is always there to entertain our players, I bet him and Lance practice their dances together, great job Larry ......
    Last edited by vnzla81; 05-31-2012 at 08:04 PM.

I was told by someone who would know how much Boomer makes and it is no where near $1M. It is on a per game basis and then he gets extra to go to schools, birthday parties, league functions..........in a really really busy year he might make close to $100,000. probably averages around $70K most years.

I'm not as suicidal after finally watching the press conference. Should have watched it immediately. Derr.

Seems like it's Herb who is the one suggesting Bird can't go after Deron. Either way, still a little pissed. If there isn't more talent brought in, this team will be stuck at almost good enough. ^_^
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%