Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bird press conference

billbradley

Default Bird press conference

Not sure if anyone watched, but it sounds like Larry is for sure staying.

He said Lance will for sure be on the summer league roster.

"Herbie" will not change his mind about going after RFA.

It sounds like Larry wants to stay but wants to see if Simon is ready to spend to get better IMO.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

billbradley

Default Re: Bird press conference

When asked about the 2000 team compared to now, Bird said Rose was the best player, hopes Lance can get there.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, it sounds to me he is going to stay on another year.

On kind of related note:

Kevin Pritchard ‏@nbakev
    Me: Call Larry Bird! Siri ---- Yea right!!!!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Yeah, it sounds like he's staying. And it doesn't sound like significant changes to starters, smaller moves to fortify bench.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How many Bird pressers/Lance love fests, will it take for Ashton Kutcher to jump out and ruin the gag?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How many Bird pressers/Lance love fests, will it take for Ashton Kutcher to jump out and ruin the gag?
    I bet Bird knows more than you.... there is a reason why we have kept Lance around.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wseward For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wseward View Post
    I bet Bird knows more than you.... there is a reason why we have kept Lance around.
    Lance has custody of some very special pictures.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

billbradley

Mike Wells ‏@MikeWellsNBA

Larry Bird definitely sounds like a person who plans to return as long as he and owner Herb Simon remain on the same page.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

Aside from sitting in the woods and Herb, it didn't sound like there is anything keeping Larry from coming back. I thought for sure he was finished.

It sounds like he wants to resign most of the players. He acknowledged that Barbosa didn't do much in the last few games but really likes him and what he brought to the lockerroom.

I also enjoyed the comments on Paul George and Danny. On Danny-"every time he dribbles more than three times I get nervous". Larry, I think you mis-spelled Dahntay, Paul George, and Lou. I'm actually hoping Danny dribbles more than three times on every possession. The longer he keeps the ball on the floor, the more likely he is to wind up with a good shot.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

"I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

I watched the presser and a few takeaways:

-- Bird is definitely staying as I got the feeling that he has worked too long and hard and does not want to walk away yet
    -- The Pacers core must get better. I think he is expecting big things from Paul, Hill, DC, Tyler, Lance and Jeff.
    -- Foster retiring hurt the Pacers and their toughness as he was missed during the playoffs
    -- Frank's success is due to him, but also the assistants that he surrounded himself with. I would expect that if and when Shaw leaves, the Pacers will bring in another well tenured assistant
    -- Bird noted that Lance has shown improvement and he and Jeff Pendergraph will both play summer league
    -- Bird expects Pendergraph to become a good role player and says that he is better than a lot of people realize
    -- When asked about a figure for Roy, Bird noted that he did not want to get into a specific number, but that the Pacers could offer Roy 5 years and that if he's not here, they will move on
    -- Kravitz asked him about Deron Williams and Bird noted that the team has to prepare for the future and not "blow all of our cap space in one year" as we have free agents the next few years (West, Tyler, DC, Paul etc.). Bird noted that this is a few year plan with cap space as they have worked hard to get here and they plan out 2-3 years
    -- Said he thought they would get a good player in the draft, but didn't rule out packing the pick with another player or trading for a veteran player. Perhaps DC and #26 for ???
    -- Mentioned the bench needs to get better as they somewhat disappointed him during the playoffs a little
    -- Said that they have to prepare for the draft and summer league over the next month and have a lot to do, but will be ready to go
    -- Noted that there were no problems this year and he was proud of his kids for doing a good job
    -- Herb does not allow him to get into bidding wars for restricted players as teams usually overpay (i.e. Gordon?)
    -- Mentioned that David West changed the whole culture of the team and locker room this year
    -- Commended Danny for his toughness, especially during Game 6 against Miami
    -- Talked about how much Barbosa added, minus the last few games against Miami, but Bird liked his game

Overall, pretty good info. I would expect the Pacers to look to sign their own guys in Hill, Roy, Lou, Fez (cheap), and maybe Barbosa. I think the interesting question will be what we do at the draft as I could see the Pacers making a deal to trade or package their pick for something.

19. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Smoothdave1 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Aside from sitting in the woods and Herb, it didn't sound like there is anything keeping Larry from coming back. I thought for sure he was finished.
    It seems pretty hypocritical of Larry for getting rid of Brandon Rush for the reasons he did, when all he cares about is sitting in the woods and herb.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    I watched the presser and a few takeaways:

-- Bird is definitely staying as I got the feeling that he has worked too long and hard and does not want to walk away yet
    Good. He should see this thing through now that they're finally close.

-- The Pacers core must get better. I think he is expecting big things from Paul, Hill, DC, Tyler, Lance and Jeff.
    In order for big things to happen, maybe only 2, or 3 at the most, of those players can be considered part of the core. Bird can't afford to continually rely on "his guys," simply because they are "his guys."

-- Foster retiring hurt the Pacers and their toughness as he was missed during the playoffs
    This was Bird's fault. He never should have re-signed him in the first place knowing about his back issues. Major blunder.

-- Frank's success is due to him, but also the assistants that he surrounded himself with. I would expect that if and when Shaw leaves, the Pacers will bring in another well tenured assistant
    I'm sure this is true, but losing Shaw will hurt no matter who they bring in. He deserves his shot to be a head coach in this league, but I'll be sad to see him go. He played a major part in this season's success.

-- Bird noted that Lance has shown improvement and he and Jeff Pendergraph will both play summer league
    I don't know how much benefit anyone can really get out of the summer league, but there is no reason not to send them both, nor is there any reason for the both of them to not want to go.

-- Bird expects Pendergraph to become a good role player and says that he is better than a lot of people realize
    If that is true, then why didn't he play when our backup power forward was struggling so much this season. Tyler was mostly awful, yet he never even got a look. If he couldn't get in last year, when can he get in?

-- When asked about a figure for Roy, Bird noted that he did not want to get into a specific number, but that the Pacers could offer Roy 5 years and that if he's not here, they will move on
    He doesn't need to get into a specific number. He only needs to discuss a specific three-letter word. MAX. Gotta pay it, Larry. Gotta pay it.

-- Kravitz asked him about Deron Williams and Bird noted that the team has to prepare for the future and not "blow all of our cap space in one year" as we have free agents the next few years (West, Tyler, DC, Paul etc.). Bird noted that this is a few year plan with cap space as they have worked hard to get here and they plan out 2-3 years
    I hope we don't avoid a potential franchise player because we have a few guys with expiring contracts in the next couple seasons. That seems pretty asinine to me.

-- Said he thought they would get a good player in the draft, but didn't rule out packing the pick with another player or trading for a veteran player. Perhaps DC and #26 for ???
    A good player can be had that late in the draft, but obviously when you're picking in the low 20's, trading out (or even just selling the pick) makes a lot of sense if you can find a willing buyer.

-- Mentioned the bench needs to get better as they somewhat disappointed him during the playoffs a little
    I hope that is just Larry being Larry, because if that's what he really believes we're in trouble. What a massive understatement.

-- Herb does not allow him to get into bidding wars for restricted players as teams usually overpay (i.e. Gordon?)
    I completely understand being wary of overpaying, but to just simply handcuff your decision maker by taking away any option of being a player in restricted free agency makes no sense. If 29 other teams participate, why shouldn't we?

-- Mentioned that David West changed the whole culture of the team and locker room this year
    Absolutely. The best free agent acquisition of the year. I can't wait to see what he looks like with a full off-season to get back fully healthy and ready to go next season. Nobody knows better than me that ACL reconstruction takes at least a full year to get back to 100%.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    When asked about the 2000 team compared to now, Bird said Rose was the best player, hopes Lance can get there.
    Jalen was the best player my ***. Jalen hurt us as much, if not more than he helped us. And if Bird is going to operate under the philosophy that we can win titles by being content and passive in free agency or via trades, then he's not who we need in the front office.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

That sounds to me that the Pacers will offer Roy a 5 year non-max deal, say 5 year $60-65m, as opposed to the 4 year $58m max he can get from another team. Would Roy go for the security of an extra year?

So does that mean we can put the whole notion of Eric Gordon somehow coming here to rest now?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    That sounds to me that the Pacers will offer Roy a 5 year non-max deal, say 5 year $60-65m, as opposed to the 4 year $58m max he can get from another team.
    If that's the case, we'll be looking for a new center this offseason.

While I'm not stoked to pay Roy more than $14 million a year, you've got to do it.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

I don't think Bird signing Foster to a contract was a major blunder. The blunder was not having a backup plan for if/when he went down with back issues.

It's not like Foster took the roster spot, or money, that was needed else where.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

That sounds to me that the Pacers will offer Roy a 5 year non-max deal, say 5 year $60-65m, as opposed to the 4 year $58m max he can get from another team. Would Roy go for the security of an extra year?
    I'd be totally fine with a 5 year deal for $60-65m, and I think that would be pretty much fair for both sides.

That said, if Roy signs a max offer sheet, Bird has to match it. I don't really see how he has an option there.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I don't think Bird signing Foster to a contract was a major blunder. The blunder was not having a backup plan for if/when he went down with back issues.

It's not like Foster took the roster spot, or money, that was needed else where.
    He took a roster spot and money that could have been used else where. Foster's back keeping him from playing was not a surprise. The plan should have been to use the resources that were poured into Foster, into someone who could stay on the court.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would think that Bird's main focus is to improve our 8 man rotation. Get it from a 10 man rotation during the season to a clear-cut 8 man for the playoffs. Right now, we don't really have that.

I would think that we bring back Hill and Hibbert.

PG - Hill/Collison
    SG - George/Stephenson
    SF - Granger/Jones
    PF - West/Hansborough
    C - Hibbert/Pendergraph

I think in looking at this, we have Collison, who would clearly be in that rotation. Beyond that, most likely Hansborough. I would think we should look into a deal surrounding Hansborough and our first for a guy like Bargnani. When you can split minutes three ways in the front court, it really helps your rotation. Bargnani would light it up in our second unit with Collison and if we go get an upgrade at the combo forward who can defend with the likes of Jones. Bring back Fesenko for beef. Possibly Amundson too if he doesn't go for that much. Just some ideas.

Love that Bird wants to give it one more year. It makes a lot of sense. He and Morway have a plan in place that should be seen all the way through. If he leaves, blowing this thing up or spending all of our money in one spot I think leaves the rotation a lot more shaky than we would hope.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Banned

I really like Bird the person but he sounds to me like he is to in love with his own players to make anything happen(Lance, Tyler, DC, Hill, Pendergraph, Danny) now it looks like he wants to show the world that Pendergraph is better than people think.

I also don't understand his obsession in having the best bench ever, why not try to have the best starters possible and worry about the bench later?

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    I would think that Bird's main focus is to improve our 8 man rotation. Get it from a 10 man rotation during the season to a clear-cut 8 man for the playoffs. Right now, we don't really have that.
    This is key. I think it was something that was overlooked from the start. Depth is great for the regular season, (and especially the crazy 66 game schedule they played this year) but talent is much more important when it really counts.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Banned

This is key. I think it was something that was overlooked from the start. Depth is great for the regular season, (and especially the crazy 66 game schedule they played this year) but talent is much more important when it really counts.
    Not doubt, depth is nice an all but at the end of the day you want your starters to play against Lebron/Wade when they are playing 40+ minutes.

So does that mean we can put the whole notion of Eric Gordon somehow coming here to rest now?
    No. It just means we can't be the team that makes him an offer and causes NO to consider sign-n-trade as an option. Once any other team does that, NO would obviously choose between matching for themselves or looking for more interested parties for a sign-in-trade. It stands to reason that any team with cap space and desirable players in their prime or earlier would be contacted. The Pacers fit that description.

It means that the Pacers would have to in essence match whatever that highest bid was. It was probably a pipe dream, anyway, though to think that the Pacers could walk the tightrope of making Eric an enticing offer that was to some extent a discount but also too rich for NO's budget.

It may lessen the chances of Eric being a Pacer a little bit, but a sign-n-trade is the most likely scenario IMO, and this doesn't limit our ability to do that. We just have no control over setting the price.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

He took a roster spot and money that could have been used else where. Foster's back keeping him from playing was not a surprise. The plan should have been to use the resources that were poured into Foster, into someone who could stay on the court.
    He didn't do either. They had both cap space and open roster spots. Signing Fez in the middle of the season should make that pretty clear.

43. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post: