Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bball's 2012 Indy 500 Pics and Comments

Default Re: Bball's 2012 Indy 500 Pics and Comments

It's confusing. We need the missing piece of the puzzle "why?"
    Maybe it starts falling in place with that info. I don't know what they expect of him or what someone is wanting to do differently.

Clearly Bump Day was lacking.... And if race day attendance wasn't down, it certainly wasn't up either. You have Turbogate and you have the Loti situation forcing Honda and Chevy to go above their original plans because of Lotus. You did have the scenario of drivers/teams unable to get a (competitive) engine, yet only 33 cars qualifying. TGBB finally got booted away from any important places but surely nobody is angry over that? Beaux seems to actually want to enforce qualifying rules and has changed how racing rules are utilized. While there's a lack of ovals, I'm not sure how many race teams care. There was the turbo boost thing for qualifying that seemed a little gimmicky, especially since it seemed to be short notice and a last minute fix for the possibility that the cars might have trouble making 220MPH for qualifying. Aero packages are SUPPOSED to be on tap for next season... but originally supposed to be on tap for this year and some owners balked. I suppose there could be some backlash over Wheldon's death and the Vegas race still (Some didn't think they should race there... and few liked the promotion trying to get some outside driver to challenge Indycar's best there (that ended up being the ticket to Wheldon being there).

All of that is WAG's to pour into the pot. Not sure if anything is even close.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ulsive-revolt/

"It doesn’t matter if it was Michael Andretti making the calls or that Mario wants a change; this movement was started by John Barnes and Tony George, with a silent endorsement from Kevin Kalkhoven, based on everything I’ve heard or been told. Roger Penske was calling for the hangman a few weeks ago but evidently has changed his mind."

I can't say what I really want to. I would result in a permaban...
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know if the Andrettis are as centric as Miller says. For one, Mario's beef with Randy is because he wanted the Vegas race to continue.... Sorry, but Mario, you are LITERALLY the only guy on Earth who wanted that race to continue.

And if Michael wants Randy gone so bad, then why is he promoting two races?

Michael Andretti ‏@michaelandretti
    Very disappointed in Robin Miller reporting things before knowing the truth! There is no lynch mob! #sensationalism
    Expand

“@RichardNew: @EDawg409 @michaelandretti Too bad Michael isn't sharing the truth with us...The truth is I'm not leading any lynching!

“@Indycar_MN: @michaelandretti so do you think @RBINDYCAR is doing a great job?” He has a very tough job!
    Last edited by Sandman21; 05-30-2012 at 06:47 PM.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Mario's beef with Randy is because he wanted the Vegas race to continue
    Do you mean annually or he wanted racing to resume after the wreck was cleaned up at last year's event?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

"But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you mean annually or he wanted racing to resume after the wreck was cleaned up at last year's event?
    The way I understand it, after cleaning up the wreckage.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The way I understand it, after cleaning up the wreckage.
    Yeah... I heard Robin Miller with JMV talking about it and confirmed Mario wanted them to go back to racing.

Let me just say I understand Mario's point and it could create a precedent that probably didn't need to be created. The caveat is the race wasn't fully embraced by everyone in the first place and there were some serious concerns about racing on the LV track with the pack racing and number of cars. So depending on your POV, it could be argued that the Wheldon accident proved a point that Indycar had been dodging bullets and playing Russion Roulette with the pack racing on the 1.5mi high banks, with Vegas being one of the worst with it's banking and car count. And from that it could be said the race wasn't stopped so much as a tribute to Wheldon but because RB decided racing on this track was just too dangerous. Not that they'd probably ever say that in public due to legal ramifications or just PR reasons of admitting a mistake of this magnitude.

But then you have the other side of the issue- Somebody WILL be killed on a race track again eventually. Will you now stop that race too? If you don't how will you explain that decision versus the Vegas decision?

------

-John Wooden