Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Anime/Manga thread...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

Even though I know what's going to happen, Dianond no Ace is still awesome week after week. Fantastic production values.

It captures the tension and euphoria of actual sports better than any series I've ever seen.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Even though I know what's going to happen, Dianond no Ace is still awesome week after week. Fantastic production values.

It captures the tension and euphoria of actual sports better than any series I've ever seen.
    I need to start watching it again. I love it as a show but I stopped watching anime during the summer and I still haven't get back to some of them.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    I need to start watching it again. I love it as a show but I stopped watching anime during the summer and I still haven't get back to some of them.
    The fall semifinal match just wrapped up. It's a good week to catch up.

This week's episode featured the best pure moment of the first year, IMO.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

The fall semifinal match just wrapped up. It's a good week to catch up.

This week's episode featured the best pure moment of the first year, IMO.
    Great. I'll try to catch up

Panopticon

ERASED

One of the best TV shows I've ever seen, of any genre ever. I've got no words. It's fantastic.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Been some time. Seen some anime.

Tokyo Ghoul season 1 - like it more than I thought. It was hard making it past the first 3-5 episodes though.

Erased - Really good murder mystery. Wish the time travel was fleshed out. It was largely forgotten about.

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash - I loved this show. The colors are amazing, looks like a painting. This is a trapped in another world/virtual world type anime but with real consequences. It's a pretty slow paced show, but the story and character development were really good. Can't wait for season 2!!

After you've finished more darker anime like Erased and Grimgar, give yourself a pick me up with

Konosuba!! - One hell of a comedy show. Megumin gets my award for best character of 2016. What a delightful show. Another in the "stuck in a video game" genre. Well worth it though.
    First time in a long time, I've been happy with the team that was constructed, and now they struggle. I blame the coach.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Spring 2016 is the strongest anime season I've seen in at least 3 years. I'm stunned at the sudden increase in quality.

Here we go....

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress

An original anime created by the studio that adapted Attack on Titan.

This is cinematic eye candy. Solid plot for your standard steampunk zombie apocalypse, but the action is first-rate. This show never allows you time to catch your breath, and everything moves very fluidly. This is Attack on Titan on steroids, and I'm loving every second of it so far. Also: Vampires vs. Zombies! I rest my case.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

My Hero Academia

In the same way Avatar: the Last Airbender transcended anime for an American audience, My Hero Academia transcends the American comic book for a Japanese audience. This is everything American comics are supposed to stand for, and it's written beautifully. In a world where 99.9% of the world population has developed at least a minor ability (they refer to them as "quirks"), one boy is born completely normal. He aspires to become a professional "hero" someday, a dream that goes nowhere until he meets the world's strongest hero, and things take a drastic turn...

This is one half a satirical deconstruction of American comics, and one half love letter. The characterization is amazing. The writing is incredible, and while you may not agree with the decisions each character makes throughout this one, at the very least you understand them. Much of the cast's personality seems inspired from american comic book characters, but the various abilities and designs are very much unique.

At the very heart of this story is something American comic shows seem to have lost in their cynicism, which is the simple concept of heroism and what it really means to be a hero. It proves that you can still have heroism without becoming campy. I love this show and I hope I see more of it for years to come.
    Last edited by Kstat; 05-24-2016 at 01:20 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Re; Zero

A guy without warning or explanation gets transported to a fantastical medieval world where he's not allowed to die. What could possibly make this dramatic? In a word....everything.

This series takes the smash hit Erased and turns it on its head. The main character is essentially powerless, aside from the fact if he dies, time resets back to a previous checkpoint in time where he's safe. Unfortunately, that doesn't change the fact that before death he feels the same pain and suffering, and remembers everything when he reawakens. This is a brutal, brutal show. It's also ironically a more grounded take on how difficult survival would be in such a foreign world where the slightest misstep could cost you your life. Screw up, get killed, do things differently the nest go around only to get killed in a completely different way. Still, the cast is interesting and the main character sells the entire show. Being stuck in an endless loop of death makes you root for him to succeed, because you can see the toll it takes on him mentally. This would be my favorite show in 5 of the past 8 seasons. As it things currently stand, it's #3 this season.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Kiznaivers

Oddly titled anime from the studio that brought you Kill La Kill.

An interesting social experiment. a small group of total strangers are forced to undergo a game where they are all connected through physical pain. Where one member sustains an injury, they all share the pain. As they grow closer, they start to share strong emotions as well. This one starts slow but in typical Studio Trigger fashion it really takes off 4-5 episodes in. Once again they've created a very unique show that takes a strong look at society as a whole, and how we relate to each other. I applaud them for this one. So far this risky venture looks like it's paying off.
    Last edited by Kstat; 05-24-2016 at 01:22 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Bungo Stray Dogs

Another fantastic show. I'm exhausted. A young boy with an odd ability joins a super powered detective agency. Set in a 1920's New York style setting, the characters are all based off of famous Japanese authors, and the story is paced very much like a light novel. It gives the show a unique slow but smoothly paced feel that gives you the feeling that you're watching a show more clever than it probably really is. Still, this is a stylish anime that combines humor, mystery and action in a way that has rarely been tried before, but nonetheless works flawlessly.
    Last edited by Kstat; 05-24-2016 at 04:02 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Re Zero

Pretty good so far. Seen 8 episodes and now I have to wait for the rest to come out! Why did I start this so early?!

My Hero Academia
    3 episodes in. Decent so far, but not a real good start. Hopefully it picks up.
    First time in a long time, I've been happy with the team that was constructed, and now they struggle. I blame the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Re Zero

Pretty good so far. Seen 8 episodes and now I have to wait for the rest to come out! Why did I start this so early?!

My Hero Academia
    3 episodes in. Decent so far, but not a real good start. Hopefully it picks up.
    The manga takes a while to get momentum but it hasn't slowed down since. The anime should start taking off next episode.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not a huge anime fan (besides DBZ and Kenshin) but does anyone know of any sites to watch Mandarin dubbed versions of popular anime? Like a Death Note or something with a decent storyline (or a basketball anime). Trying to brush up on my listening skills via shows, and most Chinese tv series are historical dramas, and they don't always use modern slang of course.

Edit: English subs would be nice, but are not required. Thanks!
    Last edited by Ichi; 06-08-2016 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichi View Post
    Not a huge anime fan (besides DBZ and Kenshin) but does anyone know of any sites to watch Mandarin dubbed versions of popular anime? Like a Death Note or something with a decent storyline (or a basketball anime). Trying to brush up on my listening skills via shows, and most Chinese tv series are historical dramas, and they don't always use modern slang of course.

Edit: English subs would be nice, but are not required. Thanks!
    A lot of anime is banned in China, so good luck with that...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A lot of anime is banned in China, so good luck with that...
    Eh, found a few websites. Also, Chinese firewall is not very hard to work around, people watch what they want for the most part, at least younger people with any tech knowledge.

Sports Logo

So much anime in my que! Finally caved and got a subscription with Crunchyroll. I thought about Funimation, so I'll watch what's in my que and will likely switch over to Funimaton in a few months.

My Hero Academia was so great. Can't wait for season 2. Will season 2 also be 13 episodes or will it be a full season?

All caught up on One Piece. Just about caught up with Ace of Diamonds...have about 5 episodes left. Really like AoD!

Been watching Kiznaiver as well - 6 episodes in. It's ok. All it has going for it is character development right now. The premise is pretty cool, but not digging most of the characters to be honest, pretty one dimensional and not much depth to them. The premise kinda reminded me of Sense8, the Netflix original series. I liked that show too, though the orgy scene was really messed up.

Sports Logo

So, I caught up with Diamond no Ace and finished it. I also caught up and finished Fairy Tail and the second season of Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo Returns (I haven't finished the first season, though). And I also watched My Hero Academia and it was indeed great Ace Attorney, Capcom's amazing visual novel, also got an anime and I'm planning to watch it soon. In the meantime I started Mirai Nikki and I'm about halfway through.

I've heard that Nanatsu No Taizai (Seven Deadly Sins) is supposed to have a second season this summer. The same goes for Arslan Senki. It's going to be an interesting anime season

Panopticon

Sports Logo

Finished Kiznaivers. What a disappointment. Thought they were doing something interesting/cool, and the whole point was to form bonds. You can do that without kiznaiving people. It was so interesting, but those last 2 episodes were so awful. Complete letdown.

Sports Logo

Twin Star Exorcists. 6 episodes in. First episode was good. It's been bad to *****ing awful since. Really hope it picks up soon. The action sequences have been hot garbage. The girl's familiar is one of the most annoying characters ever created. What's the point of that thing? It's not funny at all, just annoying.

Twin Star Exorcists. 6 episodes in. First episode was good. It's been bad to *****ing awful since. Really hope it picks up soon. The action sequences have been hot garbage. The girl's familiar is one of the most annoying characters ever created. What's the point of that thing? It's not funny at all, just annoying.
    Only reason I keep up with this is the manga. So I know for a fact it gets much better. Don't care at all for the art style but the story gets better the further you go.

It reminds me of Bleach now but actually good. I agree the beginning is a mess by they have 52 episodes to play with.

Sports Logo

Only reason I keep up with this is the manga. So I know for a fact it gets much better. Don't care at all for the art style but the story gets better the further you go.

It reminds me of Bleach now but actually good. I agree the beginning is a mess by they have 52 episodes to play with.
    Just finished ep 8 and finally something good happened. Things are starting to get way more interesting, so I'm glad for that. Just wish the action sequences were better. I'm sure the storytelling is the focal point, so that's why the fighting gets so little attention.

Just finished ep 8 and finally something good happened. Things are starting to get way more interesting, so I'm glad for that. Just wish the action sequences were better. I'm sure the storytelling is the focal point, so that's why the fighting gets so little attention.
    The fighting really ramps up later on. This is nothing.

Sports Logo

So much in my queue right now. Waiting for a lot of sequels and new anime to finish their seasons so I can binge. Hero Academia, Berserk, Attack on Titan, etc.

Finished:
    Rage of Bahamut: Genesis - I honestly hated the voice of Favaro, but it was a pretty engaging series despite that. The ending was ok, which is pretty good for anime. Seems most anime series I watch the endings almost always end up being terrible.

The World Only God Knows - About a kid that plays dating sim games and ends up having to charm girls in real life. I think it was pretty funny and had a lot of charm to it. Just trying to expand my anime tastes paste action heavy series like One Piece and Naruto.

New Series:
    Akashic Records of Bastar(d) Magic - Please get past the 1st episode which is so terribly bad. I also hate the fan service outfit for the females, but the story so far is pretty good. I'm interested to see more.

Re-watch:
    When I can't decide on watching something new, I've been re-watching Death Note. Love this show. I have 0 hope for the Live Action to be good as the main character looks like an emo goth kid. Meh. I'm only watching an episode a week, so I'm drawing this out again and savoring each episode.

Please don't watch:
    Eromanga Sensei - Watched an episode not knowing what this is about. Feels like a somewhat safe loli anime. I stopped watching of course. I'd say most guys are perverts, and I don't mind a little fan service, but this is with children. I feel dirty having watched it.

Next up will probably be Blue Exorcist. I have about 20 to 30 shows in my queue though. I really loved Your Lie in April for the music, so I'm also thinking about Sound! Euphonium. Has anyone watched it?

Sports Logo

Also finished Shin Sekai Yori (From the New World) - A short series of 25 total episodes.
    http://www.crunchyroll.com/shin-seka...-the-new-world

Man, this show started out with some mystery and really pulled me in from the 1st episode. Then it kinda devolved into a generic story. I still liked the show overall, and recommend it. Just felt it could have been so much better.