Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 209

Thread: The Anime/Manga thread...

  1. #151
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,300

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

    Quote Originally Posted by khaos01207 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a friend who wants me to watch Naruto (for some reason I never watched it) I have heard mixed feeling about the series though... Thoughts?
    It's a fun and thoughtful series. I can't say that you won't like it, because you will...and you will also hate the way it coughs and weezes to the finish line and pretty much ruins any dramatic tension that it spent twelve years building up. But those first 12 years...really a fun ride. Can't take that away.

    Naruto is like a longer version of Bleach that way. The author clearly had a long term plan but somewhere along the line realized he had no plan for an ending and started making stuff up on the fly.

    If you do decide to watch it (very, very big task) save yourself some time and skip the filler arcs. They're both notoriously terrible and equally boring. I don't care if they're ten episodes or 76 (seriously, in Naruto there is actually 76 straight episodes of pointless filler spanning 1 1/2 years). Skip right past them, do not even acknowledge they exist. They do not affect the story one bit, so you won't miss anything important.

    Here's a guide. A bit outdated, but it gets you started.

    http://www.narutohq.com/naruto-shippuden-fillers.php
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-08-2014 at 05:37 AM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  2. #152
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,300

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Started of so epically. I think he drug it out too long. It's almost over, but it's just constant power ups just cause. I'm only reading it now cause it's almost over and I feel like I need to finish it. The anime also suffers from "filler" episodes that aren't that good. Just tragic, this had the makings of something great.

    Then again, Naruto suffers what most manga/anime suffers from. Great beginnings and the rest can't live up to that greatness it started out at. It's just downhill from the beginning. There are very few manga/anime, imo, that don't suffer from that. Cowboy Bebop, Death Note and Full Metal. Can't think of anything else outside of those.

    I feel like I'm in the minority, but I still love Bleach! It's coming to an end too. It's on it's final arc.
    One Piece seems to be the lone exception here. Hunter X hunter also seems to have cheated its own decline by taking very long breaks and giving things time to sink in before continuing with the next major story arc.

    FMA died a painful death because it sped past the manga and did its own thing, much like Rurouni Kenshin. FMA: brotherhood is a thing of beauty simply because it does not stray off the path.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  3. #153
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,453

    Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Death Note didn't really finish strong. Once a certain person dies halfway through it loses its edge frankly. The first 22 eps or so are great
    I was about to mention that, but still enjoyed the rest. It may have suffered cause the character that died was well liked. I was ok with that. The ending was a bit of a letdown due to the main characters reaction and seemed to act way out of character. I still enjoyed it though cause it didn't drag and add a ton of unnecessary filler.

    Japanese are so good at drawing you into something, but just have a problem delivering a satisfying middle and end.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  4. #154
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,453

    Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One Piece seems to be the lone exception here. Hunter X hunter also seems to have cheated its own decline by taking very long breaks and giving things time to sink in before continuing with the next major story arc.

    FMA died a painful death because it sped past the manga and did its own thing, much like Rurouni Kenshin. FMA: brotherhood is a thing of beauty simply because it does not stray off the path.
    I actually enjoyed both FMA series, but Brotherhood is superior since it sticks to the manga.

    I keep meaning to start One Piece, but I just hate the artwork so much that it keeps me from starting it. I'm about to start Hunter X Hunter though.

    I should catch up on History's Strongest Disciple and Fairy Tale. Not the greatest manga, but something to read. Fairy Tale feels like a poor mans Naruto.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  5. #155
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,453

    Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

    Kstat - did you read the latest Naruto from this week?

    Spoiler Spoiler:
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  6. #156
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,300

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I actually enjoyed both FMA series, but Brotherhood is superior since it sticks to the manga.

    I keep meaning to start One Piece, but I just hate the artwork so much that it keeps me from starting it. I'm about to start Hunter X Hunter though.

    I should catch up on History's Strongest Disciple and Fairy Tale. Not the greatest manga, but something to read. Fairy Tale feels like a poor mans Naruto.
    I cannot stand the artwork in One Piece. Thing is, the story is so damn good I don't even notice it anymore.

    Fairy Tail is not in any way like Naruto. It's not any more original, mind you, but the cast is superior, even though the story is rather gutless with some exceptions. Its very stylish, which makes the generic plotlines easier to digest.

    Fairy Tail is the best waste of time on Crunchyroll. I say that because the characterization is great so you can pretty much jump in anywhere and enjoy it not really having a full grasp of the plot.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-08-2014 at 08:53 AM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  7. #157
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,300

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kstat - did you read the latest Naruto from this week?

    Spoiler Spoiler:
    I read it because I've been reading it since 1999 and dammit I'm going to follow it to the end.

    Am I the least bit interested? hell no. This series is dead to me. It's almost a game each week to see which series has become a bigger joke, Naruto or Bleach.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-08-2014 at 08:55 AM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  8. #158
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,453

    Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I cannot stand the artwork in One Piece. Thing is, the story is so damn good I don't even notice it anymore.

    Fairy Tail is not in any way like Naruto. It's not any more original, mind you, but the cast is superior, even though the story is rather gutless with some exceptions. Its very stylish, which makes the generic plotlines easier to digest.

    Fairy Tail is the best waste of time on Crunchyroll. I say that because the characterization is great so you can pretty much jump in anywhere and enjoy it not really having a full grasp of the plot.
    How can you say they aren't similar? The lead characters are complete idiots, and his best friend is his main rival and who is a bit emo.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  9. #159
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,300

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How can you say they aren't similar? The lead characters are complete idiots, and his best friend is his main rival and who is a bit emo.
    You just described most shonen ever made.

    FYI, Natsu's main rival is not Gray. He doesn't really have one. And while Gray is moody, he's hardly off the deep end like Sasuke. Also, Natsu isn't really an idiot, either. He's just got extreme motion sickness (like all the other dragon slayers).

    And I get that Natsu is technically the main character, but Fairy Tail has always been about the very large cast. He's not really spotlighted like Naruto is.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  11. #160
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    20,711

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How can you say they aren't similar? The lead characters are complete idiots, and his best friend is his main rival and who is a bit emo.
    I'm with Kstat on this. Fairy Tail is not that similar to Naruto. The friendship that Natsu and Gray share is completely different from the one between Naruto and Sasuke. Natsu does act like an idiot most of the time but he's a lot closer to Luffy than he is to Naruto.

    In general, Fairy Tail feels significantly closer to One Piece than it does to Naruto.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  12. #161
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,453

    Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

    May or may not have been mentioned, but there are a bunch new Anime on Netflix. Sword Art, Hunter X Hunter and some others.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:


  14. #162
    Cardiac Colts khaos01207's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,932
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    May or may not have been mentioned, but there are a bunch new Anime on Netflix. Sword Art, Hunter X Hunter and some others.
    Indeed.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

  15. #163
    Cardiac Colts khaos01207's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,932
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

    Almost caught up on SnK manga...
    Started Naruto per friends suggestion, about 6 episodes in, pretty good so far.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

  16. #164
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,453

    Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

    Been watching Hunter X Hunter like a madman. Already on Season 2. Pretty good stuff.

    Not sure why, but Gon reminds me of Astro Boy for some reason. Just every time I look at him. haha

    I've also started to watch Death Note again. Also have Sword Art, Sidonia, Kill la Kill and Fate 0 on my watch list for Netflix.


    Did see that Amazon Prime has Naruto, Bleach and some other popular anime. Haven't been on there for awhile, so not sure if that's new or not. Didn't really look to see how many seasons they had.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  17. #165
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,300

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've also started to watch Death Note again. Also have Sword Art, Sidonia, Kill la Kill and Fate 0 on my watch list for Netflix.
    Death Note is something I'll never watch, because after reading the manga I have no desire to go on that journey again. I'm glad I did, but its one of those really good tragedies that you enjoy sitting through once, and only once.

    Fate Zero is the Michael Bay production of fighting anime. Gorgeous with great action but I just don't care at all for the story or characters. The entire Fate series is like that for me...but Zero is the best example of the bunch.

    Sidonia bored me to tears. Sad, because it's very artistic and the production values are high. It just lacks....energy, I guess? It's like someone tried to make a mech-themed Miyazaki anime, but without any of the charm.

    Kill la Kill is exploitative satire, but the good kind. I hated myself for watching it and yet I couldn't quit. I'm glad I stuck it out because they give you a good ending.

    As for Sword Art Online....damn if this show isn't schizophrenic. First arc was refreshingly original and emotionally gripping but disjointed and amateurish at times, the second arc was poorly written at best and reprehensible at its worst, but this third arc.....that's what I stuck around for (and the fourth, when we get to it).

    I love SAO season II. I already know what's coming, but they adapted the GGO storyline really, really well that I'm still blown away. One of this year's best anime.

    You don't see anime tacking something as serious as PTSD very often, as least not as well as SAO is doing it.

    On that note, Sinon is a fantastic character.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-31-2014 at 08:23 AM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  19. #166
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,300

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

    GGO is so damn good. Watching Sinon completely break herself down mentally over 20 minutes was both sad and very well executed.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  21. #167
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    20,711

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

    Diamond no Ace is great as well. They even featured a knuckleballer in their last two episodes. Made me so proud
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  22. #168
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,300

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

    Diamond no Ace is a bit like Kuroko no Basket where it has very little to do with real baseball, but it uses real baseball themes.

    It depicted the dual-sided nature of the Knuckleball as a martial art, which is both inaccurate and yet an extremely good analogy.
    Last edited by Kstat; 09-06-2014 at 07:16 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  23. #169
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    20,711

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Diamond no Ace is a bit like Kuroko no Basket where it has very little to do with real baseball, but it uses real baseball themes.

    It depicted the dual-sided nature of the Knuckleball as a martial art, which is both inaccurate and yet an extremely good analogy.
    I'd say that Diamond no Ace is a lot more realistic than Kuroko. Sure, Diamond can be a bit over the top as well at times (it is a shonen after all) but it's nowhere near Kuroko in that department.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  24. #170
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,453

    Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

    Wrapped up the Ants arc last night.

    Gon going completely off his rocker was surprising. Really liked how you can to like the bad guys too. A much different take on bad guys than you typically see. Still, I would have enjoyed more fights though. Just have to see where things go now that the King is dead.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  25. #171

    Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

    On Death Note; I'm about 9 episodes in and I'm losing my urge to keep watching. It is an awesome idea, but the main character is so insufferable that I can't stand it anymore. Should I struggle through? Does it get any better? I'm so tired of his brash, egotistical demeanor that it makes the storyline uninteresting to me.

    Also, is there any word on when we'll get more Attack on Titan? Last I checked it was getting a second season, but nothing seemed confirmed. I am itching for more AoT...

  26. #172
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,300

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

    Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On Death Note; I'm about 9 episodes in and I'm losing my urge to keep watching. It is an awesome idea, but the main character is so insufferable that I can't stand it anymore. Should I struggle through? Does it get any better? I'm so tired of his brash, egotistical demeanor that it makes the storyline uninteresting to me.
    Light is what he is: a brilliant but deluded sociopath given godlike powers. He's insufferable, but that's what he's supposed to be. You're supposed to both respect and hate him. Being drunk with power is only going to feed into his delusions, so if you can't stand it I suggest you get off the train.


    Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also, is there any word on when we'll get more Attack on Titan? Last I checked it was getting a second season, but nothing seemed confirmed. I am itching for more AoT...
    Not yet. I'm expecting they will order another season for summer or fall 2015. Sword Art Online took a similar break as well before they brought it back.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  28. #173
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,453

    Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

    Sword Art Online was superb. I really wish they would have expanded and shown more of the virtual world. Shown him progressing and leveling up and things like that. You never really knew where his level was at in comparison to others, but you did get the notion that his level was better than most others. It just seemed to have blown through things really quickly. Really enjoyed it though.

    I even like Sword Art Online II. Not quite the same level, but just really like the characters and story.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  29. #174

    Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Light is what he is: a brilliant but deluded sociopath given godlike powers. He's insufferable, but that's what he's supposed to be. You're supposed to both respect and hate him. Being drunk with power is only going to feed into his delusions, so if you can't stand it I suggest you get off the train.
    Hmm, I guess I'll take a break and perhaps come back later. Next up, Sword Art Online (since I just noticed it on netflix).

  30. #175
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,453

    Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

    Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hmm, I guess I'll take a break and perhaps come back later. Next up, Sword Art Online (since I just noticed it on netflix).
    Loved it.

    I watched the first episodes of Fate 0 and Kill la Kill, and neither one resonated with me. Kill la Kill felt like I was on drugs, and I've never done drugs. It kinda freaked me out.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

Similar Threads

  1. The anime thread (reborn in generic form after 15 months)
    By Kstat in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-18-2010, 08:59 PM
  2. Question for the Anime fans
    By Anthem in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 02:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •