Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Anime/Manga thread...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

So...the fall 2013 anime class is shaping up to be the deepest I've seen in a while.

Arpeggio of Blue Steel, Ace of Diamond, Galilei Donna, where do I even start? Not to mention long awaited comebacks of Kuroko no Basket and Haijime No Ippo. Nothing here on AoT's level, but the depth is extraordinary.

Arpeggio is just barely my favorite of this bunch, but that seems to change by the week. The most recent episode...just brilliant in so many ways.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Ok, so I finally gave in and watched the Hunter X Hunter reboot... I will say this: it's surprisingly brutal for your standard Shonen fare. The characterization isn't anything special (the main character is downright bland), but the arcs and the circumstances themselves are some of the best you'll ever see in a long-running show like this one.

The arcs are less defined by character development, and more by survival. Very early on, it's made clear that anyone outside of the initial main cast is fair game. It's a fantasy/adventure story, but there are real life and death consequences to every decision than Gon and Killia have to live with.

I also appreciate for once that teenagers can't become as powerful as adults three times their age overnight, prodigies or not.

I highly recommend this series. Though it lacks the style of Bleach or the endearing characters of One Piece, it's easily the smartest of the epics.
    Last edited by Kstat; 01-12-2014 at 12:43 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Attack on Titan season 1 is on Netflix.

Anyone see this anime yet? Any good? sounds interesting.

http://kotaku.com/i-cant-decide-if-s...err-1503049913
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Attack on Titan season 1 is on Netflix.

Anyone see this anime yet? Any good? sounds interesting.

http://kotaku.com/i-cant-decide-if-s...err-1503049913
    It's one of those show that tries to be different, to varying degrees of success. You either love it or you hate it. I hated it, but can see why someone else would love it.

Very uninspiring Winter 2014 season, BTW. Wizard Barristers is the only thing I've shown even remote interest in.

I'm more interested in the rest of Ace of Diamond, Hajime no Ippo and Kuroko no Basket than I am any of the new stuff. Who knew sports anime would be so dominant this year?

Also, I want to make special note of Log Horizon, another show that debuted last season that started terribly to the point I gave up on it early, but has since rebounded to become a much better show than I anticipated. I strongly suggest trying it out and giving it a good 10 episodes.

Blade of the Phantom Master on Netflix.

Eh, decent animation. They made the lead completely unlikeable though. Ending boss fight was very anti-climatic.

It's a movie, but seemed like it might be part of a series. Maybe that's the reason it didn't resonate so well with me, felt like a lot of stuff was missing.

Now really free Lance!

Anyone see Steins;Gate yet? I just read that it's pretty good. Seems a little like Death Note, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Gonna have to find it and watch it.

Now really free Lance!

Anyone see Steins;Gate yet? I just read that it's pretty good. Seems a little like Death Note, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Gonna have to find it and watch it.
    I liked it initially, but it just never seemed to go anywhere.

Killer soundtrack, though. The OP is on my car playlist.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Also, I want to make special note of Log Horizon, another show that debuted last season that started terribly to the point I gave up on it early, but has since rebounded to become a much better show than I anticipated. I strongly suggest trying it out and giving it a good 10 episodes.
    I saw it and I liked it a lot. I'm a fan of RPG-themed anime and so it was quite easy to be drawn by Log Horizon. Good show overall and I'm hoping for a 2nd season. I'm also hoping for a 3rd Kuroko no Basket season. Great anime as well.

PS: I also watched Noragami from the winter season. Good show overall. I'd like to see more than 12 episodes out of it.

PS II: I spent most of the winter season watching Eyeshield 21. I absolutely loved it. Komusubi and Kurita are soooooooooooo amazing. Too bad that the anime stopped before the Kanto Tournament Finals.

PS III: Fairy Tail 2014 has begun. Happy is back

I haven't seen Steins;Gate yet but I've heard good words about it.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

I'm still sad that Bleach isn't very popular anymore. I still love it and prefer it over Naruto, which has turned into one giant crap. At least the final battle is commencing. Just hate when something starts off so great and then turns to crap by the end of it. Kind of reminds of of Inuyasha...felt it went downhill completely by the end.

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo

I'm still sad that Bleach isn't very popular anymore. I still love it and prefer it over Naruto, which has turned into one giant crap. At least the final battle is commencing. Just hate when something starts off so great and then turns to crap by the end of it. Kind of reminds of of Inuyasha...felt it went downhill completely by the end.
    I think that Bleach is still considered one of the Big 3. It just isn't very popular anymore because the anime stopped. A lot of people who watch anime do not read mangas and thus series that are cut abruptly and only remain in manga form tend to lose popularity.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

With all due respect I think Bleach sucks. It's the same tropes used over and over.

Naruto has gotten overcomplicated but the writing is much better than Bleach.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Started watching Monster after I read Del Toro will be involved with the tv series.

Very slow to start, but is pretty interesting.

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    With all due respect I think Bleach sucks. It's the same tropes used over and over.

Naruto has gotten overcomplicated but the writing is much better than Bleach.
    I'll disagree with you on the writing. Naruto's writing is Dragonball Z bad. The lead character is an idiot. And has the same re-hashed, bad childhood deal over and over. We get it already, every child has to overcome tragedy and gets stronger because of it. Good lord.

Both have their warts, but at least Bleach entertains me with some cool battles. And the anime had some pretty sweet music too.

Now really free Lance!

Bleach has more style, Naruto used to have more substance. Both of them seem like they ran out of original ideas long ago.

Naruto used to be about ninjas. Now it seems to be about magic with absolutely nothing related to ninjas whatsoever. Bleach used to be about shinigami and hollows. Now it's about who's sword has more power.

In the end, one piece outlasted them both. Still going extremely strong and fresh after 15 years.
    Last edited by Kstat; 04-19-2014 at 11:11 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Last season was awesome. Ace of Diamond was fun, and it's still going. The latest Haijime no Ippo installment was fantastic. Kuroko no Basket was as stylish and addictive as ever, and Hunter X Hunter manages to be slow paced and entertaining at the same time. That's not to mention Log Horizion. which will get another season in just 6 months!

On top of that, Ace of Diamond looks like its going to be an ongoing series.

Sports anime is making a huge comeback.

On to the new season, not as deep as the last but two that I've got my eye on:

Brynhildr of the Darkness

Having read the manga, I was happy when I heard this was going to be adapted. Very gritty, dark take on the magic warfare genre. Takes an overplayed idea and puts an original spin on it, similar to what Madoka did for the magical girl cliche.

Even the OP grabs your attention.

Haikyuu

Highschool volleyball, and yet I was hooked immediately. This is basically like taking Shaq and Kobe and turning them into volleyball players. Both main characters take it so seriously it borders on parody, and yet they can't stand each other.
    Last edited by Kstat; 04-19-2014 at 11:27 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I was planning to watch Haikyuu anyway but I didn't know anything about Brynhildr (which seems very interesting) so thanks, Kstat.

About Ace of Diamond now. How fun is it? Is it like Eyeshield 21 in terms of comedy?

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

I didn't care for eye shield, believe it or not. It's more grounded in reality, ala Slam dunk.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

So, I started Haikyuu. It's still early but it's very promising.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Kuroko's Basketball

Solid first episode. Looking forward to watching more. Time to get some sleep though.

Now really free Lance!

Kuroko's Basketball

Solid first episode. Looking forward to watching more. Time to get some sleep though.
    It's dragonball Z with basketballs. As long as you watch it in that frame of mind, it is awesome. What it lacks in substance it more than makes up for in style.

Just don't expect to see realistic basketball. That's more Slam Dunk's territory. And if you haven't seen/read it, and you're a basketball fan there is something wrong with you.

On a side note, I thought the Slam Dunk anime was good, albeit it was ended abruptly. When I went and read the manga (which extends the story another 1/3) I nearly cried. It's the best piece of basketball fiction ever written.
    Last edited by Kstat; 05-01-2014 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    It's dragonball Z with basketballs. As long as you watch it in that frame of mind, it is awesome. What it lacks in substance it more than makes up for in style.

Just don't expect to see realistic basketball. That's more Slam Dunk's territory. And if you haven't seen/read it, and you're a basketball fan there is something wrong with you.

On a side note, I thought the Slam Dunk anime was good, albeit it was ended abruptly. When I went and read the manga (which extends the story another 1/3) I nearly cried. It's the best piece of basketball fiction ever written.
    I didn't know about Slam Dunk. Normally I stick with fighting type manga and anime. I'm just now starting to branch out to other stuff.

Now really free Lance!

I didn't know about Slam Dunk. Normally I stick with fighting type manga and anime. I'm just now starting to branch out to other stuff.
    There are NBA references galore in it. It blends highschool, college and pro basketball themes into one amazing story. Bill Simmons would have a field day devoting an entire week to it on Grantland just breaking down all the references, subtext and what-ifs.
    Last edited by Kstat; 05-01-2014 at 07:39 AM.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Phi Brain

About a high schooler who solves puzzles.

I really enjoyed the first episode.

Now really free Lance!

Past episode 4 for Phi Brain. Liking it more than Kuroko's Basketball. Need to watch a few more episodes of Monster to see if that one is worth continuing to watch.

Now really free Lance!

Alright, been on an anime sabbatical the last 4 yrs or so. What are the must see anime that I must watch that came out these last 4 years? Gonna go on a binge soon.

Also K, are you going to Otakon this year?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.