Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Anime/Manga thread...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

Samurai Champloo has quite possibly the best first episode of any anime ever, but gets progressively worse after the first ten episodes. It's right up there with Noir in the "episode 1 was the most memorable part of the series" category.

OP has poor art but it really isn't about the art style. It's got a much deeper story than you'd think at first glance. That's really what impressed me. The story structure is very well organized. There are well defined sagas, each saga broken into several well defined story arcs. They do a great job of never letting the story go stale. I found myself liking it despite the art style.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-05-2012 at 10:00 AM.

To expand on Kuroko no basket again after reading the latest chapter.....

It really is fascinating to see the writer's take on what would happen if a handful of teenagers with NBA potential were dropped into the fishbowl that is Japanese basketball.

In essence, a 16-year old Kobe or KG, special even among other young American phenoms, dropped into the Japanese basketball system, where the game is still far behind the rest of the world and everything revolves around team success.

It isn't out of the realm of possibility to say a 16-year old future NBA star in Japan would be able to demolish entire teams by himself, with little help. His effect on the game would far outclass what it would be here in America.

And what happens? You essentially get a microwaved superstar system. The top Japanese schools are so desperate to acquire them that they break their own rules and traditions to acquire them, and basically shove the kids that were already there aside to design the entire team philosophy around them.

The teams that don't acquire one of the six "generation of legends" phenoms are left out in the cold, and demolished by absurdly lopsided scores. While the story promotes the values of team play and camaraderie, it doesn't shy away from the hard truth: in the end, the superstar wins more often than not, and selfish play is not always necessarily a losing proposition.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-05-2012 at 10:24 AM.

I actually don't mind the rest of the Samurai Champloo series, but I do think it takes itself too serious and loses its charm. I think the sword fights in that series are some of the best in anime, and it's really fun to watch.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

The web novel Sword Art Online was finally animated recently. They put a lot of care and money into making it.

And if you haven't read the novel series itself, it is outstanding.

To follow up, watching sword arts online and accel world at the same time is really messing with my head. Its like reading chapter 1 and chapter 30 of the same book....

So finally Tobi was revealed in Naruto. Seems like most people guessed it. I even guessed it, but was secretly hoping I was wrong cause what I guessed was kinda lame.

It's still kinda lame, but I guess I'll have to read on to see if it starts to make more sense.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Worst kept secret ever.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

We all knew who Tobi was. Kinda hoped otherwise, but it was too obvious to be anybody else. Oh well.

In Bleach, Genryuusai is finally showing how badass he is. But that series needs to end.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I'm only following it to see it through. Bleach has sunk dramatically in my book, behind several series.
    Last edited by Kstat; 09-08-2012 at 12:16 AM.

Man, I still love Bleach. I don't see what's wrong with it. I do agree that it should end soon, but not because it's gotten old or boring. I just don't see what more needs to be done.

Naruto, IMO, has fallen off a damn cliff. Since the start of the war, all the battles seem to be going so fast. These are some of the most powerful ninjas and they are over in a blink. Just not digging that.

Also, I really miss seeing battles besides Naruto and Sasuke, like Neji, Shino and Kiba. That's why I really got into the series was cause there were so many characters. Naruto keeps getting more powerful, but they keep him just as stupid as ever. *sigh* Why does the main guy need to be so dumb and loud? He doesn't need to be a genius, but he's like a few points short of being retarded.

I do wonder what side Sasuke will ultimately pick. It seems the Kishi is forcing Sasuke to be bad, but it really doesn't seem to fit. I don't see Sasuke as a bad guy. Am I the only one that thinks Kishi just writes Sasuke to be bad just to be bad, even if it doesn't seem to fit with the character? With Madara showing up, it's only a matter of time before Sasuke enters....

Also, WTF is wrong with Kishi? He has a full page with Hinata confessing her love for Naruto and then nothing. Holy **** snacks that is freaking annoying. At least have Naruto acknowledge her. Good lord.

Now really free Lance!

Bleach has been old and boring since 2008. Its stunning dive in popularity can be traced directly back to the end of the Aizen saga, which had been building up for seven years and just fell flat on its face. The horribly written Xecution arc following it was the death blow. Bleach's popularity took a sharp nosedive, and kubo tite is lucky they didn't straight up cancel the series on him.

Naruto has been dragging on as well, but kishi hasn't had a "jump the shark" moment like kubo had where he just killed the popularity of his series. The obito thing could be that, but it's too early to tell.

Regarding hinata: that WAS her swan song. The whole confession thing was put out there to complete her development as a character. I'd think Naruto saving her life qualifies as an acknowledgement, but I doubt hinata has more than two lines the rest of the series. She is simply not a very popular character. Well, none of the young girls in Naruto are but sakura far exceeds her.

I would say that's why one piece managed to completely take over the manga world. It simply does not go stale. The plots are varied and rarely involve the same antagonists each time, and the supporting cast around Luffy is extremely strong. Both Naruto and bleach have fallen into the same traps of not developing the secondary characters well enough to stay afloat long term.
    Last edited by Kstat; 09-08-2012 at 04:30 PM.

This guy sums it up way better than I could:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bleach has been old and boring since 2008. Its stunning dive in popularity can be traced directly back to the end of the Aizen saga, which had been building up for seven years and just fell flat on its face. The horribly written Xecution arc following it was the death blow. Bleach's popularity took a sharp nosedive, and kubo tite is lucky they didn't straight up cancel the series on him.

Naruto has been dragging on as well, but kishi hasn't had a "jump the shark" moment like kubo had where he just killed the popularity of his series. The obito thing could be that, but it's too early to tell.

Regarding hinata: that WAS her swan song. The whole confession thing was put out there to complete her development as a character. I'd think Naruto saving her life qualifies as an acknowledgement, but I doubt hinata has more than two lines the rest of the series. She is simply not a very popular character. Well, none of the young girls in Naruto are but sakura far exceeds her.

I would say that's why one piece managed to completely take over the manga world. It simply does not go stale. The plots are varied and rarely involve the same antagonists each time, and the supporting cast around Luffy is extremely strong. Both Naruto and bleach have fallen into the same traps of not developing the secondary characters well enough to stay afloat long term.
    Yeah, Aizen turned out to be just another typical bad guy and the end result was pretty bad. Didn't think it was that far different from most other anime, so I'm surprised it really killed it. I guess people are finally fed up of the same crap results.

Now really free Lance!

I'd recommend trying one piece. Yes the artwork is silly, but as a series it is a model of how to keep a long running manga fresh, without falling into the traps that befell Naruto and bleach. The story arcs are creative, evenly-paced, and written with textbook precision.

If you prefer something shorter, I'd recommend any of the series I've mentioned in this thread, but stay away from the sword art online manga. It is a brilliant and deep web novel and they adapted it pretty well into the anime, but the manga adaptation was totally botched.
    Last edited by Kstat; 09-09-2012 at 11:45 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Speaking of Sword Art Online, if you haven't gotten into the anime, the first ten episodes are now out as of today, and it makes for a great jumping-in point.

They've done a commendable job of adapting the novel and managing to keep most of the core mature elements that made it so great.
    Last edited by Kstat; 09-09-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Sports Logo

Thanks for the link, Suaveness

I recently picked up Kuroko no Basket and it's really good.

Sword Art Online was great as well. If you liked it, you may like Accel World.

Fairy Tail is probably my favorite.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I mostly watch anime in english since I don't know Japanesse much, but I really liked Baccano, it's a little crazy and series is short but I thought it was pretty bad ***, much gorier than you'd think as well. One of those I wasn't expecting much and it was really good.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Naruto keeps getting more powerful, but they keep him just as stupid as ever. *sigh* Why does the main guy need to be so dumb and loud? He doesn't need to be a genius, but he's like a few points short of being retarded.
    If you think that Naruto is stupid then you better not pick up Fairy Tail. Natsu will drive you through a wall

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    If you think that Naruto is stupid then you better not pick up Fairy Tail. Natsu will drive you through a wall
    It's not that it drives me nuts exactly. He gets more powerful, but that's about it. I guess I just want more character development.

Now really free Lance!

I'm reading Berserk. I'm on Chapter 9 vol 9.

It's pretty *****ed up for the most part. Gonna give it awhile longer for the background stuff, but can't say I'm digging it so far. It's just brutal to be brutal.

Now really free Lance!

Greatest anime of all time has to be slam dunk, it starts kinda slow, but stick with it and its comical and basketball gold.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pumpk35 View Post
    Greatest anime of all time has to be slam dunk, it starts kinda slow, but stick with it and its comical and basketball gold.
    I watched the first episode of Slam Dunk 2 weeks ago. The animation reaaaaally turned me off but I guess that's expected since the show is very old. I'll pick it up after I finish Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni (I'm currently at Kai and planning to watch the OVAs as well) and I'm sure that the animation will grow up on me. The comedy seemed good.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Meant best basketball anime* and yeah sounds about right. The comedy/determination combination later in the series is incredible.

FYI, kuroko no basket finished 2012 as the second most popular manga in the world after one piece.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

An update for everyone on what's caught my eye so far in 2013....

The Unlimited

God this anime has shot up the charts like a missile and I can see why.

Here's a little background info:

It's a spin-off (or continuation from a different POV if you want to look at it that way) of a series from three years ago called Zettai Karen Children.

The universe itself has a very, very heavy X-men influence, with mutant powers being replaced by psychic abilities (they're called espers), the conflict between the 5% of the human population that has them and the 95% that don't, and also the growing conflict between the espers that believe war with normal humans is inevitable and those that believe an apocalyptic future can be averted.

While the universe and setting are very much influenced by X-men, the story itself is very original. It does a great job setting itself apart with excellent writing.

without spoiling too much, The Unlimited is told from the point of view of the villains. It centers around Kyousuke Hyobu, who in pretty much every way is the Japanese Magneto, in both his ambitions and his power (he's psychokenetic, so everything is his "metal").

There is an insane amount of money poured into this. The music, the sound, the animation...it's all gorgeous. And the story gets you hooked immediately.

Also, there's something to be said for a series where neither of the main characters are really good or bad people. You're torn between rooting for and against them depending on the episode.

There's also the bonus of the three child protagonists from Zekkai Karen Children appearing several years older as teenagers, and having more control over their massive power. They aren't involved with the main plot and you don't need to see the first show to understand them, but dammit it made me want to see the original series as well.

This anime is worth the Crunchyroll subscription by itself. It's the Sword Art Online of 2013.
    Last edited by Kstat; 03-16-2013 at 02:57 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post: