Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Anime/Manga thread...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The Anime/Manga thread...

For the first time...ever, A basketball anime that isn't terrible. Shoot, it's just a great basketball story in general, if you can deal with the anime style it's written in.

Normally I'd just post this in the anime thread, but since there's hoops involved...

Just picked this title up and can't put it down. It was obviously written by someone who really loves the game and I respect that.

That said...yeah, some of the "surprise tactics" used by Kuroko's team have been used in every American highschool gym for the last 50 years. Japan's still lagging behind the rest of the world in basketball, and the show actually teases itself in that regard.

Story-wise, it's exceptionally well-written. The main character being a pure point guard who's only great skills are floor awareness and court vision is something that's never been tried in American cinema. In %99 of them, it's the same old narrative of the superstar showing up to carry the team to victory. The main character of this show actually is useless on his own, but is great because he makes the teammates around him better. The basketball itself is pretty primitive, but it captures the spirit of the game flawlessly. There's something neat about celebrating that.
    Last edited by Kstat; 05-27-2012 at 09:03 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The Anime/Manga thread...

I figured since it's been years since the old Ranma 1/2 thread died off, I'd just go ahead and make this the new home for all anime/manga talk.

Aside from Kuroko no Basket, I just finished watching Guilty Crown, which Sony obviously poured a ton of money into, but apparently couldn't find writers worth a **** to build a better story around the breathtaking animation and sound/music.

Also...and it pains me to say this...but I've started reading Nazo no Kanojo X at the behest of my girlfriend, and i cannot put it down. The story is just amazing. I've never seen anything quite like it.
    Last edited by Kstat; 05-28-2012 at 12:18 PM.

The only anime I've watched in the past year and half was Getbackers, and that was just recently. I'm suffering anime withdrawal...tremors, diaphoresis, twitching. At least I've been keeping up with Naruto/Bleach manga.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

I only started to get back into it a few weeks ago.

I'll definitely give it a shot. I love Naruto and Bleach. Can't get into OnePiece or SoulEater.

I'm really digging Moribito, which is a short series Anime (26episodes I think). Almost done with it. It's pretty slow pace, but I've enjoyed it.

I'll need to check out Getbackers too.

/Cowboy Bebop is probably my favorite anime of all time (and I've never seen the last episode!)
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

Ongoing Manga I'm following:

Kuroko No Basket
    Nazo No Kanojo X
    Naruto
    Bleach
    History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
    Fairy Tail
    High School of the Dead

Manga I've completed:

Battle Royale
    Fullmetal Alchemist
    Soul Eater
    Ranma 1/2
    Maison Ikkoku
    Genshiken
    Death Note
    Rurouni Kenshin

Ongoing anime I'm following:

Fairy Tail
    Kuroko No Basket
    Kaze No Kanojo X
    Naruto

Anime I've completed:

Bleach
    Fullmetal Alchemist
    Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    Ranma 1/2
    Maison Ikkoku
    Genshiken
    Kujibiki Unbalance
    Full Metal Panic
    Vandread
    Guilty Cross
    Kaze no Stigma
    Chrono Crusade
    Spiral
    X
    Infinite Stratos
    Tenjho Tenge
    Code Geass
    Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Pumpkin Scissors
    Basilisk
    Azumanga Daioh
    Cowboy Bebop
    Trigun
    Excel Saga
    History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
    Gungrave
    Hellsing
    Love Hina
    Samurai Girls
    Kiddy Grade
    Rurouni Kenshin
    Witch Hunter Robin
    Slayers
    Scrapped Princess
    Blood-C
    Kore Wa No Zombie Desu Ka
    HighSchool of the Dead
    Afro Samurai
    Samurai 7
    FLCL
    Madoka
    Denetsu no Yusha no Denetsu
    Steins; Gate
    Samurai Champloo
    Gurren Lagen
    Basilisk
    Blood-C
    Black Blood Brothers
    Last edited by Kstat; 05-29-2012 at 03:02 PM.

I find more and more that the Japanese just can't end a manga/anime epically. They always get really weird (Blue Gender anyone) or just fizzle.

Avatar The Last Airbender, did a combo of anime art style and japanese mythology, and mixed it with American storytelling. What happened was the most episodes were excellent and then ended with a pure epic fight.

Blue Gender started out so cool and by the time I got to the end, I wondered why I was even watching this crap.

Death Note started out epic, but I found the ending to be pretty lacking too. It's still a great series though.

Full metal was awesome, but the ending was more of a fizzle to me. Even the movie after the end didn't set things right. I'm not sure how different Brotherhood is, but I haven't watched any of it yet. Full Metal is still a great.

Just have no idea how the endings just don't get the attention they deserve.

Naruto is already like that. If you're caught up in the manga, you'll see that there are major boss fights now and they are typically only lasting like 1 manga chapter. These are powerful ninjas and are getting beat so quickly. It really seems like Kishi just wants to be done with the series rather than crafting great battles. And it's pissing me off that they've totally ignored Hinata's confession for Naruto. Ahhhh!!

Love Bleach, no problems other than they skip over the stuff about Ichigo's dad. Glad the anime is NOT cancelled, rather the anime caught up too quickly with the manga and is on hiatus for awhile.
    Last edited by Sparhawk; 05-29-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Death Note started out epic, but I found the ending to be pretty lacking too. It's still a great series though.
    I thought Death Note's ending was spectacular. Did not watch the anime version though, so maybe they messed it up.

Full metal was awesome, but the ending was more of a fizzle to me. Even the movie after the end didn't set things right. I'm not sure how different Brotherhood is, but I haven't watched any of it yet. Full Metal is still a great.
    Fullmetal Alchemist died a slow painful death because they decided to create their own storyline instead of waiting for the Manga to finish. It was a horrible mistake and was rectified when FMA: Brotherhood re-booted the series.

Anime producers need to understand they they are supposed to be adapting a manga for TV. They are not supposed to crate their own story. If they could do that effectively, they would be writers and not producers.

Just have no idea how the endings just don't get the attention they deserve.
    Because %99 of anime suffers from either not staying true to the Manga they are based off of (See: FMA), or being canceled before the end of the Manga and being forced to cram in their own ending (See: Soul Eater) as a rushed substitute.

The book is the source material. If you want a better ending, go read the manga and you'll likely get one.
    Naruto is already like that. If you're caught up in the manga, you'll see that there are major boss fights now and they are typically only lasting like 1 manga chapter. These are powerful ninjas and are getting beat so quickly. It really seems like Kishi just wants to be done with the series rather than crafting great battles. And it's pissing me off that they've totally ignored Hinata's confession for Naruto. Ahhhh!!
    Naruto is driven by popularity. It's why they have character polls in Japan every year. Hinata has fallen off the map because, well, nobody likes her.
    Love Bleach, no problems other than they skip over the stuff about Ichigo's dad. Glad the anime is NOT cancelled, rather the anime caught up too quickly with the manga and is on hiatus for awhile.
    Bleach's popularity in Japan has completely tanked since 2009. It's no longer considered a must-read. While it's probably true that they will go back and animate the final manga arc after its conclusion, there's a reason for that. As of right now, the anime is canceled, and Kubo Tite has been given his orders to wrap the Bleach Manga up sooner rather than later. This was not his call.
    Last edited by Kstat; 05-29-2012 at 03:04 PM.

That's pretty strange odd about Bleach. It's pretty awesome if you ask me.

What are the most popular manga right now then? Bleach is sooooo much better than OnePiece, I have no clue how anyone can stand it. It has some of the worst art I've ever seen, like a 3rd grader draws it.

One piece is by far the most popular manga on earth. I dont care for it either but facts are facts. Naruto is second, but the gap is enormous. After that, it's a toss up between Blue Exorcist, Fairy Tail, and the series that has replaced Bleach as Shonen Jump's #3 series, Toriko.

Naruto sold roughly 7 million copies last year, making it the second-most popular manga series in the world. One Piece sold 38 million. That's more than the next seven series in the list combined.

FYI, Bleach came in 8th, down from 5th in 2010 and 3rd in 2009. This year, it likely won't even finish in the top 10.
    Last edited by Kstat; 05-29-2012 at 04:11 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    FMA: Brotherhood is a lot better than the original series. It followed the manga better, was better written, and had better combination of comedy and action. Much better show.

The problem with Naruto is that it's so big and there's so many storylines that they can't spend so much time on boss battles anymore. For Kishi, it's not about the individual battles as much as it is about the bigger picture, which is the war. If they focused on individual battles, it would take forever for them to finish the series.

I think Bleach is pretty awful honestly now. I think the manga should have ended awhile ago, it takes too long for things to get going in the series, and the storylines just are not as interesting anymore. It's kind of disappointing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    I thought Death Note's ending was spectacular. Did not watch the anime version though, so maybe they messed it up.
    The end of DN in the anime wasn't very good. Not sure if that's how the manga ended, but the DN anime series was very good until the early 20s episode....then it stopped being good. It was pretty disappointing.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree about Death Note, it's great for about 3/4 of it then the last part kind of sucks. I like Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop, Twelve Kingdoms, Berserk, Lucky Star, and Azumanga Daioh. There's a bunch more anime (I don't really do manga too much) that I like but those are some of my favorites.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Maybe they just ran out of time and rushed the ending? I thought it was one of the great endings I've ever read.

Go out and read the last volume if you haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Maybe they just ran out of time and rushed the ending? I thought it was one of the great endings I've ever read.

Go out and read the last volume if you haven't already.
    I know I've see the anime, but I don't think I've read the manga. I'll have to double check on that. If I haven't, I'll read the manga and see where the differences lie.

K, how was Otakon last year? Anything good this upcoming year?

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I've started watching Wakfu which is a French anime (weird I know) that also has a game out for it that kind of plays like Final Fantasy tactics, the show itself is kind of an fantasy/adventure type setting but the episodes are pretty entertaining and memorable so far. Also just started watching Darker than Black, that one I feel could go either way on whether I end up liking it or not in the long run.

Also totally agree about death note. that ending in the anime was so god awful it almost inspired my nerdiness to new heights and write my own fanfic ending it was really that disappointing.

I really liked Soul Eater one of my favorite all time anime, first time I saw Lord Death I was like THAT'S WHERE THAT PERSON ON PACERSDIGEST GOT THAT FROM!!...anyways, what kinds of anime do you guys like?

I thought Soul Eater had potential but the end was disappointing IMO. I think they could have done a lot more with those characters.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I thought Soul Eater had potential but the end was disappointing IMO. I think they could have done a lot more with those characters.
    I think the Manga is still ongoing for what that's worth and I agree the ending wasn't the best but I loved the characters and the story. Also the opening song by tommy heavenly6 is catchy as hell imo.

K, how was Otakon last year? Anything good this upcoming year?
    It was good. I'll have to skip it this year, though.

Moribito (anime)

Really liked this short series. It was slow pace, but the art was amazing and the fight scenes were pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    I really liked Soul Eater one of my favorite all time anime, first time I saw Lord Death I was like THAT'S WHERE THAT PERSON ON PACERSDIGEST GOT THAT FROM!!...anyways, what kinds of anime do you guys like?
    I'll watch anything so long as it's good. Hell, the two most recent manga I picked up are a basketball drama and a romantic comedy, both of which are way out of the box for my usual tastes.

on that note, here was the top ten most popular manga (by copies sold) in japan through june 1 2012.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...012-first-half

1 One Piece 13,833,116
    2 Naruto 3,081,822
    3 Hunter X Hunter 2,721,003
    4 Uchū Kyōdai (Space Brothers) 2,684,223
    5 Kimi ni Todoke 2,316,005
    6 Fairy Tail 2,271,497
    7 Bakuman. 1,986,502
    8 Kuroko no Basuke (Kuroko's Basketball) 1,969,727
    9 We Were There (Bokura ga Ita) 1,725,725
    10 Attack on Titan 1,715,41

Two landmark developments. Bleach has dropped out of the top ten for the first time ever, and a basketball manga has taken its place at #8.

I highly recommend picking the anime/manga up. They're only ten episodes in so far.
    Last edited by Kstat; 06-11-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    It was good. I'll have to skip it this year, though.
    Oh that's too bad...this is the first time you aren't going in a long while, isn't it?

I'll have to check out Kuroko no Basuke. I'm out of touch with what's been good over the past 2 years, so I've got a bit of research to do to catch up.

Oh that's too bad...this is the first time you aren't going in a long while, isn't it?

I'll have to check out Kuroko no Basuke. I'm out of touch with what's been good over the past 2 years, so I've got a bit of research to do to catch up.
    ten years.

I'm definitely doing another con next year, though. I'd like to check out anime expo one more time.

I actually took the time to read up on the last 13 years of one piece...I now understand why it's currently the undisputed king of manga in the world. To keep things fresh and insert cpnew and active ideas/themes for that long a time and still leave people wanting more....it's easy to see why bleach is on life support, and OP is just getting stronger.

Also....kuroko no basket. Wow this manga has a remarkable future.I hope the anime keeps pace. It's a love letter to American basketball through the eyes of a Japanese manga-ka and basketball fan. I'm really getting Into it, and I hope this manga keeps following kuroko and kagami through all three years at Seirin. It would also be really cool to see the generation of miracles end up in the NBA.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Just watched the first episode of D Grey Man and Samurai Champloo. Really digging both, but Champloo was simply awesome.

I really can't get into OP. The art is beyond horrible to me.