Thread: Lap Band Surgery

Mood

Default Lap Band Surgery

Any of my other Pacer brethren out here had the lap band surgery? I went to a class tonight and am seriously considering the surgery to try to stem off the continual breaking down of my body due to being overweight. Any good or bad input?

Mood

Default Re: Lap Band Surgery

I met with my doctor briefly and he filled out the referral and they will fax over my medical records. I will meet with the dietician 4/17, and am hoping to get it done between may 9-30th.

Best of luck. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone that has had that procedure.
    My offseason FA wishlist:
    Sergio Rodriguez (backup pg)
    Thomas Robinson (backup pf)
    Andray Blatche (starting pf - replacing West)
    Corey Brewer (starting sg/sf - interchangeable w/ PG)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Is this procedure similar to a gastric bypass? If so a couple members of my family have gotten the procedure and they have come away rather happy afterwards.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

Mood

It is a little like gastric bypass, just not as extreme. In gastric bypass they actually section off a portion of the stomach and small intestines and reattach it to a small pouch they make with the rest of the stomach. You get much quicker results but there is the possibility of problems absorbing nutrients down the road and complications from surgery is much higher. The down time is like 6 weeks too.

With the lap band it is done laperscopically and they insert a small band that has these silicone things on the inside of the band that is filled with saline solution. They put the band around a portion of the stomach and suture it in place. The advantages is that it still incorporates the rest of the stomach and intestines and everything is absorbed right. It is also easy to adjust the band if you are not getting desired results by injecting more or less saline into the band. The downside is that you don't lose as much weight as gastric bypass but you lose 2-3 pounds a week for the first six months and about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds a week after that. Seeing that I have around 150 pounds to lose I like the idea of the lap band surgery since you are only down 3-5 days and no heavy lifting for 2 weeks. They had a guy who just recently have the surgery in Feb and he has lost 60 pounds. He said all he did was eat like he was supposed to and not really even exercise. He said the hardest part is no carbonated beverages or bread.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

Mood

It has been a ****** day now officially. On the way to the doctor's office I fell and face planted myself in the driveway and I hope I just sprained my good ankle really well, gave myself a bloody nose and have a sore as heck elbow. I went ahead and hopped to the doctor's office where I met with the dietician today and nearly cried when she weighed me. I weighed 370 and somehow in the past 5 years I have shrunk 2 inches. Before I started taking Seroquel three months ago I weighed in at 335. I meet with the doctor 4/28 and go to my first supervised weight loss class 5/7. I have set a goal to lose 7 pounds by my weight loss class. I keep telling myself it has to get better.

Only connection I have to the surgery is a co-worker who went that route. Seems positive for them as the weight loss has been significant and maintained. Definitely observe improvements in their health, attitude and general lifestyle.

Hoping for all the best and a positive outcome for you. I can attest with a couple of family members that persistent, excess weight can really impact ones overall physical health which then impacts the ability to lead a well rounded, active life.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

Mood

Met with the doctor one on one for the first time today and he believes that I am a good candidate for the surgery. Now I have to do a six month supervised weight loss program before so hopefully my VA weight loss program will suffice. I still need to see the internist, cardiologist and psychologist. After that I should be fully cleared for the surgery. If they take my records from the VA I am hoping to get the surgery in between summer and fall semesters now. If not then it might have to be put off until between fall and spring semesters. I don't think it will though. He said I could do it during fall break too because it will be recovered enough for school before we come back. We will see how it all plays out. I see the internist Monday for my visit and lab work.

Mood

My leg swelling from it being broken has gone down, but my appetite has gone down too. As a result I lost 14 pounds between 4/27 and now. Met with the internist today and have to do labs, drug test and cardiac ok before ok'd to get the surgery.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Any updates?

Mood

Been through five months of classes now and the final hoop to jump through is a psychological evaluation on the 4th and then setting everything up. Hopefully mid August so I can recover in time for school that starts on the 25th. I am getting excited as the time gets closer. Hopefully I can start the two weeks of liquid diet (protein shakes) on the 4th and have it done quickly.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

How much weight have you lost while going through this process Pre-surgery? You said you topped out at 370lbs? Seroquel is quite known for causing gain weight. I'm surprised your doctor has you on it while being obese. Not to assume anything, but if you are being treated for depression caused by your constant battle with weight gain, that drug is basically contributing to your depression by causing you to gain weight. Maybe your condition is more severe than just depression though.

I'd just caution you to follow the diet restrictions to the letter. I've known a co-worker's spouse who had either the lap band or the gastronial bypass. She did not take the diet seriously, continued to eat **** food. Eventually her stomach started leaking, the leaking acid eventually caused a hernia along with an infection. She had to have a valve inserted into her side so that they could redirect the leaking stomach acid out side the body. The area where the stomach acid lurches out periodically throughout the day, has to be dressed with bandages and gauze and cleaned out every day. The skin tissue around area is red and swollen from being exposed to acid and bile all the time. She just had another surgery last week to try and fix some of the issues, but the Doctors really don't have much they can do at this point, just hope that the body heals its self up inside. Its one hell of a horror story from what I understood. Her weight problem was caused by over eating and stress eating. She is also a shopaholic, racked up large amounts of debt from her spending and medical bills. Not sure she was actually a good candidate for that type of surgery based on her behavioral patterns.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Mood

That is a good point in that many of the medications that I take lead to weight gain as well. I am getting ready to drop one though so that might help. I take four different medications that list that as a possible side effect. We are hoping that as the weight goes down I can get off some of the medications. I was all the way up to 389 after breaking my leg but am down to 372 now. The Seroquel is pretty important for psychosis from PTSD that I developed after my second deployment. I am getting the least restrictive surgery in the lap band but I am going to definitely take the diet seriously. I haven't lost much weight pre-surgery, but for 2 weeks before the surgery I will be having nothing but protein shakes as meals to shrink the liver down so they can check to see if I have a hernia as well. During that process I should drop 20-30 pounds. Then afterward I do the shakes for another two weeks waiting to heal up well and should lose another 20 pounds then. After that I plan to take the diet very seriously along with trying to exercise more once the leg is fully healed. The surgery that I am getting is pretty non-invasive compared to gastric bypass. I will only be under 45 minutes to an hour and have to stay overnight at the hospital. I chose it because the complication rate is 2% compared to the gastric bypass has a 21% complication rate but you lose weight quicker with it. My sister-in-law had gastric bypass and she had complications. I have to take it seriously because I need to be more active not for just me but my family as well since I have a daughter that has a genetic disease in cystic fibrosis. I am in school now and am hoping to have lost significant weight by the time I graduate so integrating back into the working world will be easier as well. I think I will do ok because they provide such a good support system there and my family is motivated to help too. They said after the healing process I should drop between 8-10 pounds a month the first year, then 6-8 after that but they have had much better success with men in the second year because they tend to start exercising as well. When I was stationed in Germany I played Army baseball on the city team traveling around the country in the summer. I am hoping to do that in lose my weight in the first year at home with my diet and the treadmill and the second year get active again in sports. I was a gym rat in the Army and miss the competition. We have a group of guys here locally that meet weekly at a small church in the country and play ball every Thursday night. It is pretty fun but I cannot keep up with them now. Most of these guys played high school ball back when I was in school and it gets spirited but all in good fun.