Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hopefully a centering thought

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Hopefully a centering thought

There is a pretty good chance we lose game 6, let's just be honest, two of the 5 best players in the NBA have flipped a switch and it is going to be tough for us to counter. There are a lot of emotions flowing around this board right now, but this thread has one purpose, to try and re-orient everyone back to the median.

My simple question is this, even if we lose game 6, is there anyone on this board that can say they are unhappy with what the Pacers did this season?

I mean at the start of the year we were talking about maybe moving up to the 6th seed and if we got really lucky sneaking into the 5 seed. Instead, we finished the 3rd seed, the 5th best overall record in the NBA. The 4th best road record. Anyway you slice it, this was a vast and unexpected improvement over last season.

At the start of the year, most were going to be happy with a truly .500 season, or maybe finishing 2-4 games over .500. Instead, we finished 18 games over .500.

In the middle of the year, when we struggled and slipped to 17-12, many of us expected the collapse to begin. Instead, the team rallied, adjusted and finished the season on a 25-12 run.

Soft? No heart? This team? This team that has exceeded EVERY SINGLE PERSON'S expectations for this season? Especially their harshest critics? No, they are not soft, they don't lack heart, maybe last night they did, but on the season? They've taught us all what it meant to enjoy Pacers basketball again. They may not have championship level talent, they may be a year of growth and one more player away from truly competing, but they reminded us that Pacers basketball is fun. Just like the IU team did this year, and that is why both teams will always have a special place in my heart. In the end, both squads got beaten by the overwhelming favorite (assuming Miami finishes us off), but both teams had also made it known that they weren't going anywhere.

At the very least, they will have taken the vaunted Miami Heat to at least 6 games, they will have been the first Eastern Conference team to beat Miami on their home court in the playoffs. Some will say that the only reason any of this series happened is because the Heat lost Bosh, and that may be true, but it is also true that Miami chose to build their squad that way, and that injuries are a part of the game. The Heat are vulnerable to an injury to the big 3 in the same way we are vulnerable to the fact that we just aren't as good as Lebron and Wade, personally I think our problem is easier to fix. Miami can't suddenly find more cap space to bring in a big 4. (Not to say we will be better than Miami next year, but I think we will be improved, and better prepared for the battle and the playoffs.)

So when the clock reads all zeroes on Thursday night, win or lose, you can be damned sure my butt will be up out of my seat giving this particular team the standing ovation they deserve. They've earned that much. And I don't want us to get so wrapped up in the Heat flipping the switch and ground pounding us the last two games that we miss that.

Because we don't get to come back here guys, come October/November of next year, it is different. The Pacers will wear a bullseye on their backs most nights they go out on the court. This underdog, nobody respects us rally cry we've had all year, it's going to go away. There will be expectations, heck, some people may pick us to win the division with Rose's injury. We don't get to come back to this point, so if Thursday is the last night we get to enjoy THIS team, this particular team that has truly lead a renaissance of Pacers basketball in Indianapolis this season, because next year they will change, we need to savor and enjoy it.

We don't get to come back here, we don't get a do over. We don't get to feel the elation of watching this team slowly prove to all of this that they are honest to goodness good at basketball, and truly our only hope against the Heat on Thursday and God willing on Saturday in Miami, may be if the players realize this too.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 05-23-2012 at 10:33 AM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

2. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Hopefully a centering thought

That is all true, but I know in my case, I don't really consider the type of things you are discussing until after the Pacers are eliminated. Sort of like in the middle of an intense fight are you thinking about what you are going to have for dinner tomorrow? No

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That is all true, but I know in my case, I don't really consider the type of things you are discussing until after the Pacers are eliminated. Sort of like in the middle of an intense fight are you thinking about what you are going to have for dinner tomorrow? No
    Maybe true, my post could have waited til the Pacers were eliminated, but I truly believe this team deserves to feel our appreciation on Thursday night. Win or lose.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

The "centering" thought I have is that Vogel started to respond correctly to the Battier attack and how Miami was defending the post in general in the 2nd half. It was just too late by then.

So I think we will see better post offense in game 6, especially from the "center".

The crowd will be lively and the team will definitely feel appreciated, but not as appreciated as they'll feel in game 1 of the ECF.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Maybe true, my post could have waited til the Pacers were eliminated, but I truly believe this team deserves to feel our appreciation on Thursday night. Win or lose.
    if we lose - they will think the applause is for the Heat instead and get more sad than they really are and be like "it was all the ketchup cheering without any mustard"

This team certainly exceeded my expectations for this season. And I think that even when/if the Pacers lose this series, they did a lot to bring the fans back. They caught the casual fans' attention in a good way. I'm proud of the team. I just hope they can build from this.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aw Heck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've always thought that a successful campaign this year was getting into the second round. Anything was playing on house money. That being said, let's give those dirty Miami *******s everything we got!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

I am not ready to accept losing game 6, so I am not able to consider any centering thoughts or big picture reviews of this whole season.

I will feel a lot better about this whole season if I see some toughness (mental toughness and physical toughness that DOES NOT include any cheap shots) tomorrow night.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

I read a quote somewhere by Hibbert saying that he wasn't ready to go fishin' yet - I certainly hope that everyone else feels this way and comes out and gives it all they have.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Thank you for this, Joe.

I was ashamed of many of the Pacer "die-hards" last night. Comments I heard/read:

"Wish I hadn't wasted my money on Game 6"
    "This team doesn't even deserve to be here"
    "What a joke. No heart."
    "(Fill in any players name) sucks! Can we please get (nash/gordon/deron/howard/melo)" (This one is especially funny, as not a one of those players made it out of the first round)
    "No wonder no one goes to games/attendance sucks"

Absolutely shameful. 1 terrible loss does not a season make. This team still has a shot to advance to the ECF, however realistic that shot is. They've put themselves in a position to force a game 7 by winning at home. They've played hard, made the fans proud, gone toe-to-toe with anyone in their path.

I for one will be loud and proud Thursday. If the game ends up in a loss, I'll be standing and cheering the team as they go off the court. These guys have given me the most enjoyable season in over 7 years, and I for one am incredibly proud of them.

Go Pacers! All the bandwagoners? Good ****ing riddance.
    Last edited by Derek2k3; 05-23-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: spelling

19. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    if we lose - they will think the applause is for the Heat instead and get more sad than they really are and be like "it was all the ketchup cheering without any mustard"
    Only if they refuse to look up into the crowd at all while they head to the tunnel.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    I was ashamed of many of the Pacer "die-hards" last night. Comments I heard/read:

"Wish I hadn't wasted my money on Game 6"
    "This team doesn't even deserve to be hear"
    "What a joke. No heart."
    "(Fill in any players name) sucks! Can we please get (nash/gordon/deron/howard/melo)" (This one is especially funny, as not a one of those players made it out of the first round)
    "No wonder no one goes to games/attendance sucks"
    I have been a supporter of this team through thick and thin (and a lot more thin than thick). While I understand one game does not a season make, I absolutely reserve the right to rant and emote when my team goes out and soils its britches while excreting poo all over the court while on national TV.

After the game is the time for "calm" reflection and thought, but immediately after? Don't take my emotions out of a loss any more than you'd take my emotions out of a win - definitely don't tell me I can be proud of an excellent game but that I can't rage when it is an execrable game.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    At the very least, they will have taken the vaunted Miami Heat to at least 6 games, they will have been the first Eastern Conference team to beat Miami on their home court in the playoffs. Some will say that the only reason any of this series happened is because the Heat lost Bosh, and that may be true . . .
    And we lost Jeff Foster.

So when the clock reads all zeroes on Thursday night, win or lose, you can be damned sure my butt will be up out of my seat giving this particular team the standing ovation they deserve.
    As someone has already said, people will think it is for Miami if we lose. Area 55 needs to stand and chant Pacers, Pacers, Pacers, and drown out any interviews given to James and Wade.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 05-23-2012 at 02:47 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I have been a supporter of this team through thick and thin (and a lot more thin than thick). While I understand one game does not a season make, I absolutely reserve the right to rant and emote when my team goes out and soils its britches while excreting poo all over the court while on national TV.

After the game is the time for "calm" reflection and thought, but immediately after? Don't take my emotions out of a loss any more than you'd take my emotions out of a win - definitely don't tell me I can be proud of an excellent game but that I can't rage when it is an execrable game.
    Oh, I don't mean to come off like I don't htink you shouldn't be furious/enraged/pissed, I'm just saying don't take it so far as to make some of the comments I quoted in my post.

Be mad, but don't be a jackass, as my dad used to say. You can get frustrated/angry without making a fool out of yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Oh, I don't mean to come off like I don't htink you shouldn't be furious/enraged/pissed, I'm just saying don't take it so far as to make some of the comments I quoted in my post.

Be mad, but don't be a jackass, as my dad used to say. You can get frustrated/angry without making a fool out of yourself.
    Other than the "go get another player" quote, I don't think any of those other statements is a particularly foolish comment given Game 5. Hyperbolic, particularly the "wasted money" one, but not out of line with how the team played at all.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

27. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Other than the "go get another player" quote, I don't think any of those other statements is a particularly foolish comment given Game 5. Hyperbolic, particularly the "wasted money" one, but not out of line with how the team played at all.

Foolish is a pretty subjective term to try and agree on. Especially if your starting points are at two different places.

After seeing so much from this board in the last 24 hours, I think a lot of the fans who'll be at the game are treating this like a funeral (or maybe they're selling their tickets...almost 4000 left on StubHub). It's not a done-deal. We haven't lost the series. I think once the game gets underway, the crowd will be into it. The season has already been so much more than I expected, and this series has been down-right nasty. I think there's probably a rivalry brewing that will last years to come. I don't even want to think that the season could be over tomorrow. If we can force a Game 7, it's anybody's to win.

IMO playoff games are different from regular season games. I tend to look at regular season games as a means to an end. (The end being the playoffs) I feel the whole regular season is about getting ready for the playoffs. First you have to make it in, then get the best position in the playoffs as you can. You have to play well during the regular season, develope chemistry, a system of play. You must go through close games, close wins, close losses, come from behinds, road, home, bad refs calls.....everything in the regular season is about getting ready for the playoffs. So in the regular season I look for development and growth, but I don't fixate on any one game. You play and move on.

The playoffs are like final exams. OK lets see what you learned from playing 82 games, from practice, training camps, film sessions all that.

So my reaction to a playoff game is quite different from a regular season. Playoffs, I won't say well we'll get better next game, or we just had a bad night, or give them a chance. I expect a finished product in the playoffs. This is our team as is - show me what you have.

After this season the playoffs will enter into my thinking of what the Pacers need to do to get better more so than the regular season.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 05-23-2012 at 03:41 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Foolish is a pretty subjective term to try and agree on. Especially if your starting points are at two different places.
    Well, I do come from the position of having said or tweeted (or both) most of them
    BillS

Well, I do come from the position of having said or tweeted (or both) most of them
    Exactly. You don't deem your overreaction foolish. He does.

You have the right to react the way you want to.
    He has the right to label your reaction the way he wants to.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    The playoffs are like final exams.
    It's kind of the opposite actually. Most kids want to get their exams out of the way in the beginning of the week and get wasted while everyone else is still studying.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

I don't think I can stomach watching the NBA anymore even if that includes the Pacers. That is how low I feel about this crappy league. I hope David Stern and his crew get the F out. The NBA is becoming no better than fake wrestling. The Pacers will never win anything in this league and it's not all the Pacers fault.

For now, Like Bluto says, it over until we say its over....

I'll revisit this thread when its over.

OK, now I am ready for some centering thoughts

Proud of our team and hope we learned and grew

I hope we become a better passing team. Our main weakness was exposed.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

The Pacers had a very very good season and I am very proud of our team.

That being said, SP is absolutely correct. I think our team as constructed pretty much has the talent we need, except we need one really good passer (preferably a PG) and one really good three point shooter. Neither player necessarily has to be perennial All-Star caliber, they just need to be really good at the above.