Thread: Most Embarrassing Thing in All of Sports

Default Most Embarrassing Thing in All of Sports

What is it? *You don't have to say every sport*

I just had some free time and felt like typing my opinion:

In basketball-being rejected by the rim is the most embarrassing thing you can do as a basketball player in the NBA. You're paid millions of dollars to do anything and you can't make the easiest shot of them all. (That, missing free throws or airballing a shot)

In football-being a quarterback and pulling your arm forward to pass, and letting the ball slip out behind your back. Granted, it rarely happens, but he looks like a darned fool when his primary job is to throw the ball forward and it goes behind his head and he's looking all around for it and by the time he finds the fumble, he is being tackled while the defensive tackle is returning the ball to the endzone. :P

In baseball-a guy looks like a complete idiot when he throws the ball into the stands, thinking it's the 3rd out, when it really was only the 1st or 2nd...It happened this past year to somebody and he was all smiles and laughing at the fans as he threw the ball up there and then turned around toward his teammates and was like,"What? What do you mean--Oh ****!" or something like that...You could tell he was surprised/embarrassed to find out. It's embarrassing for the guy when he shows the whole world that he didn't even know how many outs there were.

In hockey-getting beat down in a fist-fight when you were the guy that started it has got to be the most embarrassing. You thought you could take him and you end up getting your face smashed in in front of millions of viewers around the country. Plus, you've got to go have stitches in your face. Feel the pain!

Default Re: Most Embarrassing Thing in All of Sports

As a team, scoring two points in the 4th quarter.

Those are all pretty embaressing but the hockey one is sorta borderline. Some guys are there to start fights with a specific opposing player with no regard to who "wins". It's to get the guy other guy in trouble or hurt right? Of course this doesn't happen as often as it once did. Where did all the good old fashioned goons go?

Another baseball one would pulling a Bill Buckner.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Premature celebrations, hands down in my opinion. High stepping in football only to fumble or get tackled short of the goal line. Jacking the dunk after acting like a fool. :
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Hmmm... this sorta fits the topic. It happened a while back on an televised NFL game. It was when the Raiders had moved to LA for a while.

Veteran QB and then backup Vince Evans was being sent into the game for the Raiders. Ahmad Rashaad (sp?) was one of the announcers. It was probably late in the game and the game already decided one way or the other.

I will have to paraphrase the announcers here.

The camera focuses on Vince who is hustling out on the field to join the team.

Announcer "... Former Chicago Bears QB Vince Evans, now with the Raiders, is being sent into the game"

Ahmad "... We remember Vince from the Bears... Long time Bears quarterback. Vince is an athlete. As a matter of fact, even at this point in his career the Raiders were telling me Vince is one of the best athletes on the team and...."

At this point Ahmad breaks out laughing.... Why? Because as the camera was following Vince and as Ahmad was talking about his athleticism, Vince tripped over his own two feet and took a tumble!

It was great. I don't think Ahmad even commented on the tumble. He just stopped mid sentence and laughed.

I wish I had it on tape...

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I can't remember who did it, but it was in college football a couple of years ago. In my opinion, it is hands down the most embarassing thing you can do. This team dunked the coach with a water jug only to lose the game on a last second miracle play. I would not want to be at that practice the next day.

Mood

I can't remember who did it, but it was in college football a couple of years ago. In my opinion, it is hands down the most embarassing thing you can do. This team dunked the coach with a water jug only to lose the game on a last second miracle play. I would not want to be at that practice the next day.
    Kentucky vs LSU...

I still give my friend **** over that because he is a big UK fan..

There is of course the sports video of the two high school football players who intentionally headbutt on the sidelines. What better way to show your coolness?

Well, perhaps it is best if BOTH players have a helmet on when they do it!

Yip, one player didn't have a helmet on when they headbutted!

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

The Redskins player head butting the wall back in 97...

Early celebration: the Cal/Stanford game where that band member got creamed.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

While channel surfing, I recently saw an interview with a former IU swimmer, commenting on Doc Councilman's death.

Doc appparently used to tell them that once the race starts, you don't stop for anything. You give it your all, win or lose, and as far as he's concerned, you're a winner. The old pep speech kind of thing.

Well, this particular swimmer, in his very first competitive meet for IU, dives off the blocks, only to quickly discover that he had not tied his Speedos. Remembering the words of Doc, he kept swimming the full 200M. He was told by his girlfriend afterwards that the crowd particularly liked the turns.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Premature celebrations, hands down in my opinion. High stepping in football only to fumble or get tackled short of the goal line. Jacking the dunk after acting like a fool. :

Taking a bow in the United Center when the Bulls have the last possession. ed:

You know, that clip of Reggie's three-pointer and bow made some NBA commercials. I think there should be a rule that if you don't win the game, your highlights cannot be shown.

*EDIT - the fans up here like to remind him of that episode, too.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you