Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 5/20/2012 NBA Playoffs, Second Round - Game Thread #4: Pacers Vs. Heat

streets ahead

Default 5/20/2012 NBA Playoffs, Second Round - Game Thread #4: Pacers Vs. Heat

WITNESS THIS!

-VS-

Game Time Start: 3:30 PM EST
    Where: The Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, IN
    Officials: M. McCutchen, M. Callahan, B. Kennedy, D. Guthrie

Media Notes: Indiana Notes, Miami Notes
    Television:
    Local Radio: WIBC 93.1 FM
    NBA Feeds:

REMINDER: Per PD policy, please do not share a link to, describe how to search for, request a link to, or request a PM about streaming video of a NBA game that is not coming directly through the NBA. Not even in a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge, know-what-I-mean" round-about sort of way. Thank you

Series & Season Records:

6-2
    Home: 3-1

5-3
    Away: 1-2
    Upcoming Games:
    May 22
    May 24
    May 26
    at
    vs
    at

If Necessary

If Necessary

Projected Starting Lineup:
    C
    PF
    SF
    SG
    PG
    HIBBERT
    WEST
    GRANGER
    GEORGE
    HILL
    Projected Starting Lineup:
    C
    PF
    SF
    SG
    PG
    TURIAF
    HASLEM
    JAMES
    WADE
    CHALMERS

Pacers
    None to report

Heat
    Chris Bosh - Lower Abdominal Strain (out indefinitely)

Eight Points, Nine Seconds Review:
    Jared Wade: Defending the Heat’s Pick-and-Roll and Flummoxing Dwyane Wade

I’m not sure when the pick-and-roll was invented, but it was probably about three weeks
    after James Naismith hung a peach basket on a pole. It is among the most basic
    offensive actions a team can run and it has been a staple play of virtually every NBA
    team since the days of Bob Cousy. The reason: if run properly, it inevitably creates an
    advantage, at least temporarily, for the offense.

There are many ways to defend the pick-and-roll. None of them work. Again, the offense
    always gets an advantage and while different defensive strategies can limit that edge in
    various ways, vulnerabilities remain. So the goal for the two defenders involved in the
    play is to react to the screen and then recover quickly enough to ensure that both
    offensive players are corralled into areas where they can do the least damage.

In recent years, the prevailing defensive philosophy used against the pick-and-roll has
    been to blitz the ball handler and force him to give the ball up. I can’t say exactly when
    or why this became the norm, but it probably has to do with players like LeBron James,
    Dwayne Wade, Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook being so adept at going by big men
    in zero second flat and splitting any soft double teams. Players in the 1980s weren’t
    doing it like they can.

Regardless of why, things done changed.

Tom Thibodeau is the leader of the new school. As an assistant in Boston and now as a
    head coach in Chicago, he has implemented this “swarm the pick-and-roll” strategy to
    help his teams play some of the best defense the sport has ever seen. It is the anti-
    thesis of passively reacting to what the offensive team wants to accomplish in the pick-
    and-roll. The defense becomes the aggressor, swarming the man with the ball and
    rotating help defenders to stop the roll man from catching a pass and scoring at the rim.

Throughout the first three games on their series against the Heat, the Pacers have not
    been doing this. They have instead done the exact opposite.

As the ball-handler (usually LeBron or Wade and sometimes Mario Chalmers) comes off
    the screen, the big man does not run at him hard. He is barely even showing at all
    actually. He is just hanging back and maintaining a pool-cue-length distance in between
    himself and the guy with the ball.

This accomplishes two things that fundamentally alter how the rest of the play will likely
    transpire. First, it makes it much harder for the ball-handler — no matter how fast and
    crafty he is as a penetrator — from getting all the way to the rim. The big man hanging
    back is essentially adopting a free safety mentality in which he won’t allow anyone to get
    past him. Of course, the penetrator can just try to go over or around, but especially when
    the defender is Roy Hibbert … good luck with that. He is 7’2″ and has been in a shot-
    blocking zone for weeks now.

The other key difference with this strategy...CONTINUE READING AT 8p9s

Heat Index Preview:
    3-on-3 preview: Heat-Pacers, Game 4

In another installment of the Heat Index's 3-on-3 series, our writers give their takes
    on the storylines before Game 4 of the Eastern Conference semifinals (ABC, 3:30 ET).

1. Fact or Fiction: LeBron is right, Game 4 is a must-win for the Heat.

Tom Haberstroh: Fiction. The "must-win" meme is the worst thing to happen in
    sports analysis since the basketball adaptation of the "closer" term. That may be a bit
    strong, but our casual acceptance that a non-elimination game is a "must-win" has
    gotten a bit out of control. If the Heat lose Sunday, they still have potentially two
    games remaining at home. This isn't do-or-die. Yet.

Michael Wallace: Fiction. I know the point LeBron was trying to make, but I think
    in a literal fashion, when it comes to this situation, it's not true. Elimination games are
    must-win games. Neither team's season would end based on the outcome of Game 4. I
    actually believe this game is bigger for the Pacers' psyche. The Heat can't go in thinking
    this series is over if they don't win Sunday. Even if they're down 3-1, there's still a
    game in Miami on Tuesday. Which means there's still a chance to start a rally.

Brian Windhorst: Fact. I think it is rather obvious that getting down 3-1 without
    Chris Bosh and with the Pacers getting more confident by the minute is not a recipe for
    victory. The difference between 3-1 and 2-2 obviously is vast, especially because it
    would give the Heat back the home-court advantage. The Heat players have a lot on the
    line here: reputations and futures and legacies. Way more than the Pacers.

2. Fact or Fiction: D-Wade came off worse than Spoelstra in Game 3.

Haberstroh: Fact. And that's a remarkable achievement by Wade considering that
    Heat fans were calling for Spoelstra's pink slip after the Pacers went up 7-0 during the
    Dexter Pittman Experiment of Game 3. And then sprinkle in the fact that Spoelstra had a
    heated argument with the team's most beloved star. And still, there's no question that
    Wade came off worse in Game 3. That's how awful Wade was in Thursday's game.

Wallace: Fact. I asked Dwyane on Saturday if he felt he made a mistake by
    showing his frustrations in such a public fashion during that timeout blowup with
    Spoelstra. He said it was just the byproduct of a heated discussion during an intense
    time in the game. At the end of the day, I truly believe Dwyane was much madder with
    himself than anyone on that Heat bench. His body just wasn't cooperating. He lashed
    out. He looked bad doing it. Everyone insists it's behind them now.

Windhorst: Fact. Spoelstra's Dexter Pittman experience and revolving door of
    subs was not exactly awe-inspiring. But Wade came off as petulant because of the way
    he was playing, especially his hard-to-explain effort level. Combined with his inexcusable
    flagrant foul in Game 2, Wade's attitude so far in this series has been has been poor.
    Including snapping at his coach at a crucial part of the game.

3. Fact or Fiction: The Heat should still be favored in this series.

Haberstroh: Fiction. In light of the Wade injury stuff, I've moved from toss-up to
    slight nod to the Pacers. I still think the Heat have a good chance of turning this around
    and beating the Pacers, but I don't find it to be a likely scenario anymore. Not with Bosh
    out. Not with Wade playing on one leg. I don't think this is an X's-and-O's problem as
    much as it is a physical one. Does Wade still have the burst in his step to be himself?
    I'm not sure. If he doesn't, it becomes a 1.5-on-8 ordeal.

Wallace: Fiction. Call me crazy, but I consider it a 50-50 series right now. Yes,
    the Pacers have a 2-1 series lead. But I've seen the Heat rally from a 2-0 deficit in the
    Finals to beat Dallas in 2006. And I've seen Miami hold a 2-1 series lead over the Mavs
    last season in the Finals and squander it. I've always said the Heat seem to respond to
    adversity far better than prosperity. But without Chris Bosh available and with Wade
    ailing a bit, nothing less than their A-game will beat Indy.

Windhorst: Fact. If they split in Indiana, which is still possible, then they will
    have done exactly what was expected of them and they will have control of the series.
    Because this is still within reach, they are not yet desperate. They lose Game 4, of
    course, then they become a heavy underdog. In short, it's a big game.

NBA Playbook Review:
    John Bennett: A Look at Roy Hibbert's Career Night

Hardwood Paroxysm Review:
    Eric Maroun: How Indiana Got Its Swagger Back

So that happened, huh?

I’d like to congratulate the Indiana Pacers on stealing a road playoff game against
    one of the best home teams in the NBA. It wasn’t pretty by any means and it seemed
    like both teams were giving the game away throughout the final couple minutes.
    However, a win is a win in the playoffs and even the poor play by Indiana down the
    stretch doesn’t change the fact that the series is now evened up at one game apiece.

Prior to Game3 of the Pacers-Heat series, my friend John who came to the game
    with me asked who I thought would win. My political answer was either Indiana close
    or Miami big. I simply did not see Miami winning a close game on the road, and I
    certainlycould not fathom a reality where Indiana blew out the Heat. A little over
    three hours after John asked me for my prediction, the Pacers had routed the Heat
    94-75, and all of the sudden they find themselves up 2-1 in this series.

Some random thoughts from the game:

• Coming from someone who wrote an article months ago calling out the entire
      city of Indianapolis for not showing up to games and finishing with the fifth
      worst attendance in the NBA, the crowd last night absolutely brought it. The
      18,165 fans in attendance clad in yellow “Gold Swagger” shirts served as the
      poster child for the image the country should have when they think of Indiana
      as a basketball state. From the very beginning, it was apparent to everyone,
      fans and beat writers included, that this was going to be a playoff atmosphere.
    • Roy Hibbert was an absolute monster. When Dexter Pittman was announced
      as a starter, the gentleman sitting next to me, decked out in a white and black
      LeBron jersey, declared the game was over and Hibbert was going to have a
      big game. While the decision to start Pittman, a guy who had exactly zero
      meaningful playoff minutes logged in his career coming into last night, was
      curious, to declare even facetiously that the game was over before it started
      was laughable. Three minutes later, the Pittman experiment was over, Indiana
      was up 11-2, and I had stopped laughing. Hibbert’s final line ended up
      resembling everything that Pacers fans could possibly want from their All-Star
      center: 19 points, 18 rebounds, 5 blocks, and most likely one massive pay day
      coming his way in the near future.
    • Where do I even possibly begin with Dwyane Wade? The jokes have already
      been made that he’s in the spirit of the Indianapolis 500 by bringing the
      Brickyard to Banker’s Life Fieldhouse last night and how it was actually Miami
      fans, not Indiana fans, who now wish he had been suspended for Game 3. But
      there is something far more serious going on than his woeful five point, six
      turnover, 2-13 from the field performance. Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star
      tweeted at halftime that Wade might be sick while Brian Windhorst reports that
      Wade is being bothered by a lower leg issue that plagued him towards the end
      of the regular season. Whatever the issue is, it needs to get resolved as soon
      as possible because LeBron James simply cannot carry this team on his back
      at this point...READ MORE AT HARDWOOD PAROXYSM

140 Characters of (Non-PD) Coverage

Pacers
    Mike Wells @MikeWellsNBA
    Jared Wade @8pts9secs
    Tim Donahue @TimDonahue8p9s
    Tom Lewis @indycornrows
    Ian Levy @HickoryHigh

Heat
    Brian Windhorst @windhorstESPN
    Tom Haberstroh @tomhaberstroh
    Peninsula is Mightier @DavidDwork
    This is the darkest timeline.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Default Re: 5/20/2012 NBA Playoffs, Second Round - Game Thread #4: Pacers Vs. Heat

2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Yay I made it alive. I only left 22 hours ago!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    "Danny Granger is one of the top players in the league. To move Danny, you better get a lot back." - Larry Bird

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 5/20/2012 NBA Playoffs, Second Round - Game Thread #4: Pacers Vs. Heat

Please Pacers, please, beat the morons!
    Thank you Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yay I made it alive. I only left 22 hours ago!

Now that's passion. Very admirable, cgg.

By the way, who are they going to surprise us with at center today? Eddy Curry?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

OHHH how I would love for this team to go down to south beach up 3-1. Can't let Chalmers get off like in game 3. Go Pacers!
    Help us Paul George......you're our only hope

Sports Logo

anyone at the Fan Jam outside of the Fieldhouse?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Smith View Post
    OHHH how I would love for this team to go down to south beach up 3-1. Can't let Chalmers get off like in game 3. Go Pacers!
    i can live with chalmers going crazy as long as wade and lebron suck.

GO PACERSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    anyone at the Fan Jam outside of the Fieldhouse?
    I'm wandering around aimlessly and not completely aware of my surroundings

"Danny Granger is one of the top players in the league. To move Danny, you better get a lot back." - Larry Bird

Sports Logo

cgg, are you at the fan jam thing outside the fieldhouse? Look for me...I'm in the line leading up to that Pacers van. I'm the asian dude with the Miller Jersey
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Leggoooooooooooooooooo

Today's officials for the Pacers vs. Heat:

Monty McCutchen (Lead Official)

Mike Callahan

Bill Kennedy
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Let's get this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Today's officials for the Pacers vs. Heat:

Monty McCutchen (Lead Official)

Mike Callahan

Bill Kennedy
    What's the scouting report on those three?

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by maragin View Post
    What's the scouting report on those three?
    Kennedy was great in those Police Academy films.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

This is going to be the toughest game of the year. Everyone in the league has been calling the Heat "soft as a baby's ***". I hope the Pacers aren't thinking that and aren't as overconfident as everyone else is. This game is more about how mentally tough the Pacers really are, because the Lebron and Wade are going to bring it.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Ira Winderman‏@IraHeatBeat

Dwyane Wade out early, more than two hours before tip-off, taking and making shots, and not just comfort bank attempts.

immortal shaman rat king Ratking's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

ABC NBA Countdown showed Lebron in locker room reading Hunger Games, lol. Looking for desperate last minute advice from Katness Everdine about fighting for your life against all odds. Love it.

In all seriousness though, I'm expecting this to be a real tough game.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Ratking For This Useful Post:

Are we going gold swagger style again tonight?
    Proud owner of 'Dutch Pacers'

Quote Originally Posted by DEEman View Post
    Are we going gold swagger style again tonight?
    They are doing different colored rally towels I think.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Mood

They just played the Lebron quote on ABC saying that the Pacers have to hype themselves up. Please keep this fool from winning a Title.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic P View Post
    Ira Winderman‏@IraHeatBeat

Dwyane Wade out early, more than two hours before tip-off, taking and making shots, and not just comfort bank attempts.
    Did he ask Paul George to come out and guard him for those shots?

If not, I'll take my chances.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

ABC just showed Juwan Howard invading the Pacers shootaround confronting Lance Stephenson.....WTF?
    Help us Paul George......you're our only hope

RLeWorm

anybody else see the video of howard and stephenson? funny stuff

32. The Following User Says Thank You to RLeWorm For This Useful Post:

In honor of Rally Towel day (MAN I WISH I COULD BE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

My lucky 2004 Playoff game (Vs Wade & Heat, which we won!) Pacers Rally Towel.