Thread: NFL 2012 Forecast by USA Today

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default NFL 2012 Forecast by USA Today

I paid $5 to buy this today to see where our Colts would be listed. The forecast was made after the 2012 draft. No big surprise to me (but probably to several here who think the Colts will win six games or even get to .500) the Colts were listed in the Power Poll as team number 32, dead last. I did note that Jacksonville is listed as 31.

I noted that they predict that Garcon will have his first 1000 yard season in Washington with RGIII chucking him the ball. Washington was listed at 25 but other writeups indicated that they would not be overly suprised to see Washington threaten the Giants for the top spot in that division.

Denver is listed as number 11 and the top team in their conference.

The Giants are number one, Packers at two, and New England at three. San Francisco is at four, Houston at five, Philly at six, Ravens at seven, New Orleans at eight, Detroit at nine and Atlanta at ten.

Interesting reading as always. The experts seem to think it will be a difficult change for the Colts to go 3-4 and the personel they have don't fit that system well.......

Lord help our Colts.......

Default Re: NFL 2012 Forecast by USA Today

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I paid $5 to buy this today to see where our Colts would be listed. The forecast was made after the 2012 draft. No big surprise to me (but probably to several here who think the Colts will win six games or even get to .500) the Colts were listed in the Power Poll as team number 32, dead last. I did note that Jacksonville is listed as 31.

I noted that they predict that Garcon will have his first 1000 yard season in Washington with RGIII chucking him the ball. Washington was listed at 25 but other writeups indicated that they would not be overly suprised to see Washington threaten the Giants for the top spot in that division.

Denver is listed as number 11 and the top team in their conference.

The Giants are number one, Packers at two, and New England at three. San Francisco is at four, Houston at five, Philly at six, Ravens at seven, New Orleans at eight, Detroit at nine and Atlanta at ten.

Interesting reading as always. The experts seem to think it will be a difficult change for the Colts to go 3-4 and the personel they have don't fit that system well.......

Lord help our Colts.......
    So the USA today that predicted that the 49ers would come in last in their division last year is now the arbiter of truth? If Denver is the highest ranked team in the AFC at 11 then the AFC is the weakest conference in the history of mankind...Garcon is not a great receiver...he just isn't. Flashy? Highlight guy? Yes of course but when it comes to plays mad between the hashes he is just ok. His hands are below average, (Don't show his highlight reel catches because you can show just as many easy catches he just drops)...I would much rather have a guy like Wayne even for the years he has left than Garcon. I would really like to see you for once recognize opposite opinions instead of scouring for ones that do. I don't think the Colts are going to be very good this year, they just won't but it may end up paying big dividends in the future.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dgreenwell3 For This Useful Post:

Well we all know USA Today is never wrong in their predictions of the quality of the teams a full four months before the season ever begins. USA Today has a great reputation for its in-depth football discussion and analysis.

Here is my "expert" opinion: The Colts will win 5-6 games in 2012, will sign some free agents in the off-season with the cap space they have and that, combined with the growth that young guys like Luck and Flener will have over the course of the next year, will put the Colts in solid position to win the division in 2013. Houston is the only good team in the division, but I'm not going to fret about them owning the division for the next 5 years after one 10-6 season.

RGIII has to play in the tough NFC East which contains three easily better teams in the Cowboys, Giants, and Eagles. As I've said before, the Redskins have a very tough schedule next year. I will not be surprised at all if the Colts actually win more games.

The NFC is the better conference right now. There are only two wildcard spots to be had and I think you have to immediately concede that the Lions will take one of them every year in the near future (and if they were to actually win the division then it will be GB who gets a wildcard spot). Also, Chicago will be a major playoff contender in future years if they can stay healthy. Let's not forget how solid they were last year before Cutler and other guys went down. If say the Giants win the NFC East, then Dallas and Philly will be contending for wildcards. Atlanta will do, assuming that NO wins the division (I still think they will because of Brees).

Washington has a HUGE mountain to climb if they are going to make the playoffs anytime soon.

Banned
    Mood

Since you disagree with USA Today about Garcon~ (I think they have it just about right), here is the entire mention:

Pierre Garcon` Washington Redskins

Moving to a new team with a rookie starting quarterback wouldn't seem to be recipe for success, but Garcon` will be the undisputed man in Washington. And if you peek at Mike Shanahan's track record, you'll notice the top two receivers and the No. 1 tight end hog all of the action in his offense. As the Redskins' primary target last season, journeyman Jabar Gaffney posted better stats (68 catches, 947 yards, five TDs) than Reggie Wayne, Michael Crabtree and Santonio Holmes. And Garcon is a major upgrade over Gaffney.
    Robert Grffin III is a perfect fit for the offense that helped Elway win two Super Bowls and made a 4,000-yard passer out of Jake Plummer. Who cares how many picks he throws in year one? He'll lift Garcon` to his first 1,000-yard season and 10 touchdowns are a possibility.

Banned
    Mood

How about a little something to back up your predictions for the Colts? Every publication I have seen this year predicts 0 to 2 wins this year and most would think the Colts will struggle to win 6 games over the next three years. That is not necessarily a bad thing and teams that choose to completely rebuild often take years to do it. I think the Colts have a bigger mountain to climb to get to six wins in an year in the near future than Washington has to make the playoffs. I am anxious to see what NO does. USA Today also thinks they will still be very good and they rate them slightly ahead of the Falcons........ Those teams that rise from nowhere to suddenly make the playoffs have some talent on the teams ala the 49ers. The Colts have Luck, no offensive line, and defensive personel that do not fit a 3-4. This team may give up 30 points per game. I certainly think they will rank dead last on defense. That is lot for Luck to overcome and he just won't be able to do it if he does have a decent you. I think a decent year would be 20-24 TDs and 20 INTs......... Lord Help our Colts......

I doubt many of these "experts" watched the majority of Colts game last year. Well I think I watched 14 of them and we had a chance at winning several of the ones we lost, particularly at the beginning of the season, but we just couldn't close them out because we happened to have the two worst QB's in the league in Collins and Painter.

As things were, we had a chance at good winning against Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Tampa, KC, and Carolina. Those were all very close games that we could have won. As time went on, the team began to get mentally depressed with the losing and thus we started to get blown out a lot before finally getting a couple of wins in December. But early on, we had chances to win games but just couldn't get enough offense because we had such putrid QB's. Luck, even as a struggling rookie, is likely to be much better than Painter or Collins ever were last year. Put a rookie Luck on that team last year and we likely have several more wins. I mean, he couldn't be any worse than those two bums were. So that's one reason I think we have a chance at winning 5-6. But that's not to say that I'll be surprised if we only win 3 games. During Manning's rookie season, we actually had a chance to win several more games IIRC and were actually leading some of them late, but we were a young team who couldn't close out.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/schedule.../ind/year/2011

Also, we have an extremely easy home schedule. I've mentioned this several times. Just look at it, the only really tough game is Green Bay.

2013 is the big year. By then, this years' rookies will have had a year of experience and we can hopefully add some free agents in the off-season. If we don't make a legit push at winning the division in 2013 then I will be a bit disappointed.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 05-20-2012 at 02:41 PM.

It's simple - don't feed the trolls.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dammit all I ask is that if you do decide to respond to the troll that you do so without quoting it. Is that too much to ask?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

You are looking through rose colored glasses. Painter and Collins were not good but Denver got to the playoffs with a QB whose passing stats were not much better than Painter's. I doubt that a rookie QB would have meant any more wins. My own guess is that the Colts will not win 10 games over the next three seasons. They are not as good right now as they were last year and you add a rookie QB to that mix and they will be fortunate to win one game. However, put me down for paying for a nice dinner for you if you are right about winning five or six games next year. I just don't see anyone outside of a few Indy fans who believe that. I think they might win that many games in 2014, not 2013. I know the hecklers are calling me a troll but I remind you that I posted what a major service thought and I assure you they saw all 16 games as did I. One is not a troll when merely reporting what is being written around the country. Now, you may not like what they had to say but I have no see any evidence of any service or an expert outside of Indiana predicting any kind of success for the next three years. There are more than a few of those experts who think the Colts will have the number one pick in the draft for three years in a row. I doubt that but I think two years in a row is just about a cinch.........

They are not as good right now as they were last year and you add a rookie QB to that mix and they will be fortunate to win one game. However, put me down for paying for a nice dinner for you if you are right about winning five or six games next year.

St. Elmo?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I will be shocked (and almost willing to buy every colts fan who posts here at PD a dinner at Mortons) if the Redskins won 8 games.

This team has a lot of work left to do, not to mention a rookie QB

Banned
    Mood

You bet....

Banned
    Mood

I think they will do at least that well and perhaps better. If RGIII has Cam Newton type impact, they will do better than that.......

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    I will be shocked (and almost willing to buy every colts fan who posts here at PD a dinner at Mortons) if the Redskins won 8 games.

That's my point as well. I think Orakpo is a lot like freeney/Mathis btw, so I figure the transformation of those two won't be as hard as some make it out to be...I think Garcon isn't a bad two but add in his frequency of dropped passes, lack of blocking Skills for and just in general IQ lacking plays, I wouldn't be shocked if his year doesn't match his salary.
    I am a Rams fan so tbh, I don't have a dog in this fight...Just calling it as my college football playing experience taught me to call it.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dgreenwell3 For This Useful Post:

I think they will do at least that well and perhaps better. If RGIII has Cam Newton type impact, they will do better than that.......
    How many games did the panthers win this year? In a division where they played a just terrible Bucs team twice? 6-10. Newton had better targets, a better line and better backs. I would give the Skins defense an edge for sure.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Dgreenwell3 For This Useful Post:

You bet....

I said almost

Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    How many games did the panthers win this year? In a division where they played a just terrible Bucs team twice? 6-10. Newton had better targets, a better line and better backs. I would give the Skins defense an edge for sure.
    I agree. The Skins O-line was underrated last year before injuries, but they dont have a great core of receivers (though we have added a lot of guys, just not a big guy that I have been overly impressed with. I am hoping Garcon turns into that guy). We have a RB by committee, which Shannahan has shown can work (hell it did while our line was healthy last year)

I think this team could end up at .500, but I would be shocked to see them in the playoffs.

I would love it, but I would be shocked

I agree. The Skins O-line was underrated last year before injuries, but they dont have a great core of receivers (though we have added a lot of guys, just not a big guy that I have been overly impressed with. I am hoping Garcon turns into that guy). We have a RB by committee, which Shannahan has shown can work (hell it did while our line was healthy last year)

I think this team could end up at .500, but I would be shocked to see them in the playoffs.

I would love it, but I would be shocked
    Yeah I feel you...Tbh, hoping for a rough year for the Skins purely because I want another top 10 pick...maybe flank Sam Bradford in great receivers next year!
    This whole Luck vs. RG3 pissing contest is ridiculous. RG3 is a great talent, so is Luck...just because one is great doesn't mean the other one has to suck...

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Dgreenwell3 For This Useful Post:

Mood

I think once pre-season starts I will have a good idea of how we will do this year, this will allow me to see basic weaknesses and strengths of the team, and project how long the weaknesses will take to improve or if they ever will. Also I will get a chance to see depth, and how the coordinator will go about using the groups we have out there.
    Why so SERIOUS

I would like my steak medium-well, thanks. Baked potato also.