Thread: Pacers: Most motivated team in 2012 playoffs?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pacers: Most motivated team in 2012 playoffs?

I was thinking about this last night, we have to have the most motivated, hungry team. Look at the other teams:

Lakers- Kobe, Gasol, Bynum
    Clippers- Griifin, CP3
    Heat- Queen James, Dwhine
    Celtics- Big 3
    Philly- Turner (number 2 pick ET, Iggy top 10 pick)
    Spurs- Duncan, Parker, Ginobli
    Thunder- Durant Westbrook, Harden (all top 5 picks)

Pacers

D West- "only good because CP3 made him look good"
    Hibbert- "17th pick, too slow, bad footwork"
    Granger- "17th pick, Stephen Graham was more desireable"
    George Hill- "Iupuiupui?, huh?
    Darren Collison- "19th pick in the worst class ever"
    Paul George- "who again is he?"
    Tyler Hansbrough- "great college player; too slow for the pros"
    Lou Amundson- "Undrafted "
    Dhantay Jones- "Journeyman"
    AJ Price- "Afterthought 2nd round pick"

I keep hearing how you need stars to win in this league, which to some degree is true. It seems like the Pacers have built this team around guys that are talented, but have been disrespected in the past who play with a chip on their shoulder. Win or lose this year they have been an absolute pleasure to watch and no way would I trade them for any of these mega stars. As I said on the other thread these other teams are winning with high talent, we are winning with high character. I couldn't be prouder to wear the blue and gold knowing these overlooked, underappreciated guys represent it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I certainly believe so. David West looked like the hungriest of them all on Sunday, Paul George on Tuesday and Roy last night.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers: Most motivated team in 2012 playoffs?

Ya I was saying this after we won in Miami.. My friend got mad at me because he is a Heat fan.. He was like "what you really think Miami doesn't want it? Cmon bro!" I was like no, everyone wants it.. But Indy wants it more. They are hungry, just watch them play!

I can't see us losing this series the way we are playing.. Hopefully we will realize winning by 20 is very rare against a great team like that and that the next game is going to be extremely hard to win. Come ready to play! Ignore the fact that you just whooped them because they won't ignore their under-performing game. It will be fresh in their minds all weekend.

Players who love to play the game and that work hard
    Players who were overlooked by others, for some reason

Players with physical toughness
    & mental toughness
    & a lunchpail attitude
    & that deal with adversity
    & that don’t make excuses
    & that are not prima donnas
    & that have confidence but don’t beat you over the head with it

A well-built roster
    A deep team
    A team with solid leadership
    A team with a great many good players in place of a couple of superstars

Great coaching with respect to preparation
    Great coaching with respect to in-game adjustments
    Coaches that demand player accountability

This may not go over well in Indianapolis and I am sure that I will be blasted for even articulating the thought, but one can say that the Pacers as an organization have fully adopted the NFL concept termed “The Patriot Way”
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think people realize how good this team is, motivation aside. They are GOOD. They do all the things that you like to see a team do in the playoffs: top-flight defense in both the paint AND on the perimeter and even transition; good rebounding, decent half-court offense, a pick-your-poison balance on offense, decent transition offense, can hit 3s, and most importantly --- they have a top-flight coaching staff. Vogel is under-rated, and Shaw is not under-rated at all, everyone knows what he is; he's just flat-out good. This Pacer team might be the best adjusting team in the league right now. That's why we dominate in the 3rd.

The ingredients are here for us to do something.

Think about if you were another team, how would you game-plan for the Pacers? Stop Granger? Okay? The other 6 guys will kill you. Stop Granger and Hibbert? Okay, West and the George's will kill you. Vice versa? And then you think you stop their starters --- Collison and Barbosa and Hansbrough come in off the bench and start running you ragged with drives to the rim. You see what I mean? There are no superstars on this team, but you can't stop the entire offense. Someone will be left open. It's not a pretty offense, but it's a relentless/balanced offense. How bout if you game-plan to score on this defense? The only advantage anyone has is at PG. Granger/George might be the best wing defensive tandem in these play-offs. Hibbert is the last true paint force left in the playoffs (assuming the Lakers are gone). It's a defense that almost every team looks at and says "dammit, so what the hell are we gonna do??" There's not many teams that can say that. Look at Miami... focus on Wade/LeBron, if you have the perimeter defenders (which we do), and you can bet that the rest of the team just won't cut it. Look at Boston --- PG on Allen, Granger on Pierce, Hibbert/West on KG, and with the leftover free to roam, and the only real advantage they have is Rondo... but Rondo's game is based on setting up the other big 3, and those guys are gonna be defended well. Boston, as much as their fans already wanna write in their Finals invite, will have some serious issues against this team.

I'll be honest... sure, we could lose this series still, sure we could maybe lose later on, anything could happen, but.... the only team that truly scares me (in context to this team's abilities), is the Spurs. I know what this Pacer team is now. OKC is a great team against most teams, but we absolutely KILLED them in our only match-up and frankly I see OKC having major issues against our defense/rebounding. They won't be jacking up 100+ pts/game agaisnt this D and that will affect them big-time. I thought Indy was better than Miami when everyone voted for Miami to win the series, and I'd vote the same way against OKC.... on the highlight reel Miami/OKC absolutely kill Indy, but on the court, I don't see either team really beating Indy. And that goes for Boston too.

It's San Antonio. That team is the only team that plays on par and even better overall ball than Indy, although I might give the defensive edge to Indy whereas I might give the offensive edge to SA.... but in both cases, they have the best coaching staffs in the league.

That would be a fantastic Finals matchup from a purist basketball perspective, if not a ratings perspective.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 05-18-2012 at 11:20 AM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

The Spurs and Thunder strike me as being very motivated too.

And if what's up for discussion is which team is the *hungriest*, well, the Spurs do have Boris Diaw...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pingu For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Players who love to play the game and that work hard
    Players who were overlooked by others, for some reason

Players with physical toughness
    & mental toughness
    & a lunchpail attitude
    & that deal with adversity
    & that don’t make excuses
    & that are not prima donnas
    & that have confidence but don’t beat you over the head with it

A well-built roster
    A deep team
    A team with solid leadership
    A team with a great many good players in place of a couple of superstars

Great coaching with respect to preparation
    Great coaching with respect to in-game adjustments
    Coaches that demand player accountability

This may not go over well in Indianapolis and I am sure that I will be blasted for even articulating the thought, but one can say that the Pacers as an organization have fully adopted the NFL concept termed “The Patriot Way”
    I don't like the Patriot comparison at all. We didn't have to cheat to win

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    I don't like the Patriot comparison at all. We didn't have to cheat to win
    Hey, I knew you wouldn't. But every attribute I listed is are the core of both organizations, like it or not.

If you prefer, just say that the Pacers are being built very differently than the Colts were. Not that the Colts didn't value many of those things also, but some certainly do not apply (depth, non-superstar focus, and good coaching, to name a few)
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo

It used to be you became a star when you won in the playoffs, if that has any bearing any more there will be lots of stars on the Pacer roster after this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    It used to be you became a star when you won in the playoffs, if that has any bearing any more there will be lots of stars on the Pacer roster after this series.

OK, I compare this to our 1994 team. After Reggie 25 point 4th quarter in game #5 at Madison Square Garden, he became a star player. This Pacers team doesn't have a player that is going to do that.

Roy is not going to become a star player because big men rarely become stars. David West isn't flashy enough and his stats are that impressive. Granger is the most likely, but he's been our third most important player in the playoffs.

So I don't see it happening even if we win a championship

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    OK, I compare this to our 1994 team. After Reggie 25 point 4th quarter in game #5 at Madison Square Garden, he became a star player. This Pacers team doesn't have a player that is going to do that.

Roy is not going to become a star player because big men rarely become stars. David West isn't flashy enough and his stats are that impressive. Granger is the most likely, but he's been our third most important player in the playoffs.

So I don't see it happening even if we win a championship
    Paul George is a 25 point game away from going nuclear on the national scale. I know it's not likely but if the team starts rolling down hill early against the Heat Sunday and Paul gets a break away dunk or two...watch out.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods