Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 49 of 49

Thread: Larry Bird wins Executive Of The Year

  1. #26
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: Larry Bird wins Executive Of The Year

    This has been SUCH a great season.....

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    billbradley
    Guest

    Default Re: Larry Bird wins Executive Of The Year

    Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This has been SUCH a great season.....
    Two Pacer HoFers

    Hibby an All Star

    Vogel in the COY running

    Bird Exec of the year

    5th in the NBA

    Competitive Eastern semis with the Heat...

  4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:


  5. #28
    Member Johanvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    3,097

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird wins Executive Of The Year

    Congrats to Larry.Well deserved and what Chad Ford said about another model of rebuilding a franchise, is absolutely spot on!

  6. #29
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird wins Executive Of The Year

    He's earned it all. Congrats!

  7. #30
    Member RamBo_Lamar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,266
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird wins Executive Of The Year

    Mr. Bird, congratulations on your very well deserved Executive Of The Year award.
    And if you are contemplating walking away after this season as some in the media
    have reported, I hope you know we would all love to have you back for an encore.

  8. #31
    The Nite Owl LA_Confidential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    1,424

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird wins Executive Of The Year

    And to think that were in prime position to be MAJOR PLAYERS in this summers free agent and trade markets speaks volumes. It's not farfetched to think that Bird could win EOY back to back. This season has been above and beyond anyone's expectations and I'm glad to say that the Pacers are BACK!

  9. #32
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,629

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird wins Executive Of The Year

    Full voting:



    Ujiri getting a single 3rd place vote is stupid.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  11. #33
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,566

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird wins Executive Of The Year

    Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Two Pacer HoFers

    Hibby an All Star

    Vogel in the COY running

    Bird Exec of the year

    5th in the NBA

    Competitive Eastern semis with the Heat...

    When the miserable 09-10 season ended, who would have ever imagined that all of this fantastic stuff would be happening a mere two years later? I was always optimistic that Bird could make some things happen once he finally had cap space, but never would I have dreamed that we would have the 5th best record in the entire league for the 11-12 season.

    You don't have that sort of drastic improvement unless you have a great executive. What Bird has done in the last 24 months is just incredible. Paul, DC, Hill, and West are major contributors to our team right now and none of them were on the roster two years ago. Barbosa and Lou have also been solid additions.

    Well deserved award for Bird. Glad he's getting some major national recognition for the great thing he has done here.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 05-16-2012 at 03:17 PM.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  13. #34

    Default Re: Larry Bird wins Executive Of The Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @Pacers: Larry Bird is the only person to win all three awards – MVP, Coach and Executive of the Year. #LarryLegend

    BAMF.
    I don't think anyone else has ever won both COY and MVP, so he was already unique.

    Lenny Wilkins was the best player to become a good coach before Larry, and he never won an MVP. Of course Russell was a player-coach in his last year (but not COY). Magic Johnson was technically a coach, and a bad one, for awhile.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  14. #35
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    29,147

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird wins Executive Of The Year

    Why in the **** did Pat Riley get a first place vote?

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  15. #36
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,615

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird wins Executive Of The Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Full voting:



    Ujiri getting a single 3rd place vote is stupid.
    Otis Smith getting a 3rd place vote is even more stupid.

    Congrats Larry Legend! He has done a hell of a job. Looking at where we were, to where we are now, its pretty incredible. Three time MVP, Coach of the Year, Executive of the Year. And some people still question him. This just in, Larry Legend knows basketball!

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  17. #37
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    25
    Posts
    7,449
    Mood

    Default Re: Larry Bird wins Executive Of The Year

    Exclusive reaction from Bird:


  18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:


  19. #38
    Undefeated
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carmel
    Age
    36
    Posts
    674

    Default Re: Larry Bird wins Executive Of The Year

    Hell yeah! Bird is a legend (and the only one to collect all three.)
    Danger Zone

  20. #39
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,613

    Default Re: Larry Bird wins Executive Of The Year

    Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Two Pacer HoFers

    Hibby an All Star

    Vogel in the COY running

    Bird Exec of the year

    5th in the NBA

    Competitive Eastern semis with the Heat...
    It's a great list. And Paul George in the dunk contest (and maybe on an all-defensive team).

    Plus George Hill returns home and the Pacers won a "bidding war" for a top level free agent (which a bunch of whiny Hoosiers said could never happen).



    Bird has made a lot of mistakes (or TPTB) but this year he used the cap space perfectly on West and Barbosa, he turned Rush into a great post defender like Lou which helped out plenty and became a fan favorite, and he turned the draft pick into George Hill.

    Now to be fair Rush is a pretty good player still so it's not like Lou was free, and Leonard is outright awesome so that deal is a wash in terms of "price", but both have been exactly what the team needed in terms of personality and culture (of winning, aggression, confidence), as did West/Barbosa.

    Bringing in or getting in Shaw was a strong move as well.


    Whatever was going on with JOB, and whatever was going on with the value of McRoberts, at least those things are moving to the past.


    Really the most impressive thing is what they've done with drafts, or how they've lucked out maybe. Danny falls to 17, Roy goes at 17 (though even I wondered about his agility for the NBA), George doesn't "fall" but does slot perfectly to the Pacers due to low profile Frezno St, K Leonard also "falls" to the Pacers which gives them the buying power to get Hill for him. Price was a great 2nd round value, simply by the minutes he's already given the team.





    For the 3rd time the Pacers have made a strong team, a top 5 NBA record team, without tanking. For me 3 times is enough to disprove the myth that the only way to become great is to get really bad.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 05-16-2012 at 05:19 PM.

  21. #40
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,613

    Default Re: Larry Bird wins Executive Of The Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why in the **** did Pat Riley get a first place vote?
    He didn't trade Lebron for Jeremy Lin? He didn't package Wade and Bosh for Howard? There were all sorts of terrible moves he was smart enough to avoid. His genius was knowing what NOT to do. Most people would have panicked and blown it all up after losing in the Finals.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  23. #41

    Default Re: Larry Bird wins Executive Of The Year

    Some interesting quotes from ESPN's story about Bird getting Executive of the year:

    "We had to change the culture," Bird said. "I thought Jimmy O'Brien really helped us in that aspect. He came in here and knew exactly what we had to do. We had to not only change the culture, but we had to take it slow and get some players we thought we could build around."
    And he spoke even more about the franchise's inability to chase max level players:

    "I knew it was going to be tough, and it's still tough," he said. "We don't drive revenues like the big-market teams. We can't go after $17 million players. We've got to go a different way, and we've got to do it a piece at a time."
    IMO, that pretty much ends whatever might of been left of the Deron dream.

    Here's the link on that story:

    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/79...executive-year

  24. #42

    Default Re: Larry Bird wins Executive Of The Year

    Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was going to say Justin Tyme.... but both work.



    I've cut Bird so much slack this year it's unbelieveable. I've never been bashful saying what I thought were Bird blunders, but at the same time I've NEVER had a problem giving Bird his due either.

    When I saw Bird was Exec of the Year my 1st thought was "that's a no brainer!" HE DESERVED IT! Congrats Mr. Bird.

  25. #43

    Default Re: Larry Bird wins Executive Of The Year

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Otis Smith getting a 3rd place vote is even more stupid.

    My exact thought.

  26. #44
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird wins Executive Of The Year

    It's amazing how we go from being a below .500 playoff team to a contender in a year.

    Heck, we were 18 games under .500 2 years ago.

  27. #45
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Greenfield, IN
    Posts
    3,221
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird wins Executive Of The Year

    He's Larry Legend for a reason. The ONE, the ONLY.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Attending the University of Louisville in August!
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  28. #46
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,629

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird wins Executive Of The Year

    Generally I like advanced statistics, they can be useful.

    But just, wow. Apparently Larry's a moron and this was a travesty.

  29. #47
    Member Stuckey7370's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Princeton, IN
    Posts
    510

    Default Re: Larry Bird wins Executive Of The Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Generally I like advanced statistics, they can be useful.

    But just, wow. Apparently Larry's a moron and this was a travesty.
    The Pacers waived Jeff Pendergraph? Noooooo, who is going to be our human victory cigar now?

  30. #48
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,716

    Default Re: Larry Bird wins Executive Of The Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Generally I like advanced statistics, they can be useful.

    But just, wow. Apparently Larry's a moron and this was a travesty.
    What's this regarding? I feel like I missed something.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  31. #49
    Member Stuckey7370's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Princeton, IN
    Posts
    510

    Default Re: Larry Bird wins Executive Of The Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's this regarding? I feel like I missed something.
    "But just, wow" is a link

Similar Threads

  1. Heat president Riley wins Executive of the Year [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-04-2011, 06:00 PM
  2. Larry Bird = Winning, 3 Year Plan a Success
    By Midcoasted in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 04-07-2011, 04:20 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-24-2010, 03:10 PM
  4. lil' Colangelo wins Executive of the Year
    By Kegboy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 09:27 PM
  5. Jerry West: Your Executive of the Year
    By kerosene in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 04:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •