Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 132

Thread: Superstar favoritism is hardly ever more blatant

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Anderson
    Posts
    1,147
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Superstar favoritism is hardly ever more blatant

    I would suggest voicing your opinion to the league

    http://www.nba.com/email_us/contact_us.html

    Be sure to choose officiating as subject matter.

    It might not make any difference, but it cant hurt.

    Here's what I sent "Will Dwayne Wade be suspended for the non basketball shoulder tackle against Darren Coliison? I ask because Jason Smith was suspended 2 games for identical foul on Blake Griffin? I assume seeing as they were identical, that Wade will be punished in the same fashion, and not receive special treatment."

  2. #102
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,820

    Default Re: Superstar favoritism is hardly ever more blatant

    For the record the Jazz vs Spurs were not on NBA tv at all

  3. #103
    Member Marlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    28
    Posts
    891

    Default Re: Superstar favoritism is hardly ever more blatant

    Quote Originally Posted by Handoverfist View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How many pounds does Wade have on DC like 70? That could of been pretty ugly if Darren landed awkwardly.
    They're listed at 160 and 220. It really is ridiculous.

  4. #104
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,475

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Superstar favoritism is hardly ever more blatant

    I still disagree that the hit was less severe. Griffin got up and shot free throws just like DC did, but just took longer to get up. DC's hit was more dangerous in that he could have hit the support where griffin, who I truly feel went loose and rolled with the hit was not in danger of hitting anything. As was noted, Wade had a bigger head of steam and actually chased DC down where Smith made his hit after admitting he couldn't get a better angle on the ball. Did Wade apologize after the game like Smith did? No he was crying about the so called celebration. I guess the rest of the team should have confronted Wade like the Clippers did Smith and made a bigger deal of it. The officials and league dropped the ball on this one.

    http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012...sct=nba_t12_a4
    Last edited by SycamoreKen; 05-16-2012 at 08:04 PM.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:


  6. #105
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Superstar favoritism is hardly ever more blatant

    It's been physical and we drew a lot more fouls in game 2.

  7. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Anderson
    Posts
    1,147
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Superstar favoritism is hardly ever more blatant

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For the record the Jazz vs Spurs were not on NBA tv at all
    Where is this record book people keep referring to?

  8. #107
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,275
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Superstar favoritism is hardly ever more blatant

    I understand the NBA is a business. However, the Dwyane Wade body-check of Darren Collison in Tuesday's playoff game could not go unnoticed. Wade needs to be suspended, just like Jason Smith after his hit on Blake Griffin. For now the NBA is getting money from the "BIG 3", but when more general fans of the league start to get upset at superstar calls the money flowing into your league will cease, Mr. Stern. Best regards, a disgruntled fan, Jason Wyrick.
    Not the best letter but a general call to action from a 30 second type-up.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  9. #108

    Default Re: Superstar favoritism is hardly ever more blatant

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    One of the NBA's pampered little princes (Dwyane Wade) does this to another scrub/nobody (Darren Collison):
    [...]

    I'm just a Pacers fan who happens [...]
    collison is not really a scrub/nobody and it hurts to read that you would even phrase it like that.

    mainly as a dc fan, people like you are the reason I find it hard to root for the pacers. i know your views dont represent everybody's but with so many stupid posters/trolls (vnz81, etc) its hard for me to wish them a full 100pct on beating a team I am starting to despise. I guess at the end of the day I can still like the pacers, but hate the fans and the city (never been but you guys are pathetic, fill up the seats).
    Last edited by Pacer.; 05-16-2012 at 08:56 PM.

  10. #109
    John Ringo ApNeDtRiEeW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kokomo
    Age
    27
    Posts
    358

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Superstar favoritism is hardly ever more blatant

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    collison is not really a scrub/nobody and it hurts to read that you would even phrase it like that.

    mainly as a dc fan, people like you are the reason I find it hard to root for the pacers. i know your views dont represent everybody's but with so many stupid posters/trolls (vnz81, etc) its hard for me to wish them a full 100pct on beating a team I am starting to despise. I guess at the end of the day I can still like the pacers, but hate the fans and the city (never been but you guys are pathetic, fill up the seats).
    he was taking the viewpoint of how the NBA views collison, not his own opinion.

    dang dude

  11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ApNeDtRiEeW For This Useful Post:


  12. #110
    Member Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    887

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Superstar favoritism is hardly ever more blatant

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    collison is not really a scrub/nobody and it hurts to read that you would even phrase it like that.

    mainly as a dc fan, people like you are the reason I find it hard to root for the pacers. i know your views dont represent everybody's but with so many stupid posters/trolls (vnz81, etc) its hard for me to wish them a full 100pct on beating a team I am starting to despise. I guess at the end of the day I can still like the pacers, but hate the fans and the city (never been but you guys are pathetic, fill up the seats).
    Wow, how about that for taking someone out of context. Tell us how you really feel.

  13. #111
    Member MTM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Brentwood, TN
    Posts
    694

    Default Re: Superstar favoritism is hardly ever more blatant

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Somebody needs to open an investigation into the NBA.
    I recommend you read Tim Donaghy's book for insights into what causes a group of officials to emphasize one thing over another. Despite his lack of credibility about himself, I was inclined to believe most of what he wrote about his fellow officials and the NBA product. The officials and the league are very aware on a game by game basis what the best promotional option is.

  14. #112
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,509
    Mood

    Default Re: Superstar favoritism is hardly ever more blatant

    I'm not all for complete retaliation, but I would like to see Wade earn his trip to the line when he drives this next game. If they are gonna give him every touch foul out there might as well get worth out of the foul. If what he did to DC happen in the 80's, there would have been retaliation aka like the elbow that Karl Malone places to Isiah Thomas' head. I am not saying to that degree, but he needs to know we are not his whipping post and we will not be bullied or intimidated.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:


  16. #113
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Superstar favoritism is hardly ever more blatant

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    collison is not really a scrub/nobody and it hurts to read that you would even phrase it like that.

    mainly as a dc fan, people like you are the reason I find it hard to root for the pacers. i know your views dont represent everybody's but with so many stupid posters/trolls (vnz81, etc) its hard for me to wish them a full 100pct on beating a team I am starting to despise. I guess at the end of the day I can still like the pacers, but hate the fans and the city (never been but you guys are pathetic, fill up the seats).
    Mouth .... meet foot.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:


  18. #114
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Superstar favoritism is hardly ever more blatant

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    collison is not really a scrub/nobody and it hurts to read that you would even phrase it like that.

    mainly as a dc fan, people like you are the reason I find it hard to root for the pacers. i know your views dont represent everybody's but with so many stupid posters/trolls (vnz81, etc) its hard for me to wish them a full 100pct on beating a team I am starting to despise. I guess at the end of the day I can still like the pacers, but hate the fans and the city (never been but you guys are pathetic, fill up the seats).
    Wait, I'm stupid??


  19. #115
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,450

    Default Re: Superstar favoritism is hardly ever more blatant

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You know why? Because the NBA and its networks don't cover the small markets with the non star players. This Pacers team has been damn good all season long. Even coming off a hard fought series with the #1 seeded Bulls in the playoffs, we didn't get any games on ESPN or TNT. What the hell is that about? I have a friend who is a Heat fan and halfway through game 1 he told me, "I'm a Heat fan, but I must say...this is the first time I've seen the Pacers play this year, and they are a real solid team" And this is a guy who watches the NBA on a regular basis, not some bandwagon Heat fan.

    The NBA has an incredible amount of bias coverage, more than the other big leagues. Much more. And it hurts them when we see a team like the Bulls lose their best player and lose in the first round to the 76ers. There is no good reason that the Spurs, the #1 team in the west, one that has the Coach of the Year, that has the best PF of all time, and has had great success over the past decade plus, don't have the hype and coverage that the Heat and Lakers get. They shoot themselves in the foot with this idea that only star players will get them ratings.
    Spot on! The NBA has been their own worst enemy. They have forced fed the superstar marketing and coverage for so long that the general public seems to have either a love or hate relationship with the NBA.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  20. #116

    Default Re: Superstar favoritism is hardly ever more blatant

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wait, I'm stupid??

    I don't totally blame him for what he said because he's got a point. During the regular season there's a ton of great stuff on this board and I come here all the time. For some reason during the playoffs it's turned into an ESPN.com comments section and it's a chore to look through the pages of homers and idiots trying to find the good stuff.

  21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  22. #117
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,130

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't totally blame him for what he said because he's got a point. During the regular season there's a ton of great stuff on this board and I come here all the time. For some reason during the playoffs it's turned into an ESPN.com comments section and it's a chore to look through the pages of homers and idiots trying to find the good stuff.
    I agree... To a point. Emotions get amped up and people are saying some really irrational things without thinking.

    That said... The guy you're referring to is a prime example.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  24. #118

    Default Re: Superstar favoritism is hardly ever more blatant

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree... To a point. Emotions get amped up and people are saying some really irrational things without thinking.

    That said... The guy you're referring to is a prime example.
    I agree, a guy with twenty posts who denounces the board and prays for the Pacers to lose probably isn't the best person to be backing up, BUT there was some sliver of truth to what he was saying.

  25. #119

    Default Re: Superstar favoritism is hardly ever more blatant

    I will not argue this further. because ultimately,

    it
    d o e s not

    m A tt 33 r.

    -------

    But onto reality, wades hit was vicious and the thug attitude that accompanies this play with no sense of sympathy is another classic example of disgusting behavior. Good sportsmanship is always nice to see and I dont mind wades play in the intensity of the moment but to almost promote it and be proud of it really shows what a piece of **** he is and why basketball is frowned upon by some of the general public.

    I will apologize to you pacer fans, you all seem like decent enough people and I hope you really do make some noise and pull this off (but it will be hard) and I certainly will think its because of all the hard work I've watched from the pacers this season and not the fact that the heat suck.

  26. #120
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,130

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Superstar favoritism is hardly ever more blatant

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree, a guy with twenty posts who denounces the board and prays for the Pacers to lose probably isn't the best person to be backing up, BUT there was some sliver of truth to what he was saying.
    It's the playoffs. People say a lot of things during playoff runs that they look back in retrospect and slap themselves on the forehead. I generally just look past it, unless it's something I also have a strong opinion about.

    I'm still paying for things I said on here almost 9 years ago.

  27. #121
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Superstar favoritism is hardly ever more blatant

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How do you explain the Spurs then. People over the years have sampled them and have decided they don't want to watch the Spurs. (the lowest rated series in the first round of the playoffs this year? Spurs vs Jazz)

    And yet the Thunder get some of the highest ratings in the nBA nationally.

    People watch who they want to watch.
    Good to know marketing (or lack thre of) has zero impact on consumers at all

  28. #122
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,955

    Default Re: Superstar favoritism is hardly ever more blatant

    From the NBA Misunderstood Rules page.
    http://www.nba.com/features/misunder...es_051128.html

    A flagrant foul 2 is unnecessary and excessive contact. This usually has a swinging motion, hard contact, and a follow through.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:


  30. #123
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,810

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Superstar favoritism is hardly ever more blatant

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    TV ratings don't lie. Lakers get big ratings when their games start at 10:45 on a Monday night. Why? because people want to watch them.

    Here are the TV ratings for the first round.
    http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012...trend-for-tnt/

    Mavs vs Thunder
    Lakers vs Nugs
    Heat vs Knicks

    were by far the highest rated series . Honestly the fact that Mavs vs Thunder were very highyl rated should give us some hope that fans are willing to watch teams other than the Lakers, Heat and Celtics.
    For one thing, 10:45 EDT is actually prime time for two full timezones (PDT and MDT). 7:30 PM EDT on Wednesday night is barely prime time for ONE time zone. You should be more impressed that an Eastern Conference team gets high ratings because people actually have to make an effort to watch.

    But all of that is beside the point. You are using the way things are now and claiming that is the only way they can ever be, and that no marketing is needed because the networks will always put the games on that are the games that have already been on.

    My point is that marketing is meant to grow your audience, and that NBA marketing as a whole has been lazy. It is easy to gropw the superstar following casual audience until your superstar goes away and then the audience goes in the toilet. Superstar-focused audience is volatile and by definition only pays for/supports/attends a fraction of your overall product. Putting effort into marketing teams IN ADDITION to superstars will grow a more stable audience, will bring people to the table when your playoff matchups are less than what would be currently defined as marquee, and (I believe) will convert casual fans to dedicated fans.

    Let me ask this - starting in January, if for every commercial featuring flashes of Kobe/DRose/LBJ/DWade/Pierce there was a corresponding commercial that focused on a single team that was doing very well and that team was on an accessible TV station (even playing the Every Week team that week), don't you think that would increase interest and audience if/when the lesser known team gets to the upper levels of the playoffs? The commercials would be easy to do - heck, we have guys who can knock them out overnight from a single game - and pretty cheap. For instance, suppose the Lakers are playing the Nuggets. Instead the usual "Lakers Lakers Lakers" commercials (why do that? Lakers people KNOW the Lakers are playing. The media is all over the Lakers angle. Why spend the money promoting an aspect others are doing for you?), run commercials with Nuggets highlights and the tag "Denver Nuggets. Rising stars. Playing the Lakers, on <date>". Won't that raise awareness of the Nuggets? Then, maybe once or twice a season, do the same thing for both teams in the upper half of the standings who are having a non-superstar matchup.

    None of this is ridiculously off the wall, none of it damages the current market for superstars and big market teams. What I don't understand is why anyone would refuse to believe that expanding the NBA brand into places where people AREN'T just watching for the superstars is a Bad Thing.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  32. #124
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,219

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Superstar favoritism is hardly ever more blatant

    I hope some of you guys put your resumes in at the NBA office. They could use some more good little soldiers.

  33. #125
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,820

    Default Re: Superstar favoritism is hardly ever more blatant

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope some of you guys put your resumes in at the NBA office. They could use some more good little soldiers.

    They send me a paycheck every two weeks. Salary is pretty low, but it is easy work.

  34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Superstar Calls
    By Steagles in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-29-2012, 10:35 AM
  2. Mike Wells: Carlisle showed favoritism
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-07-2006, 11:56 PM
  3. JO is no superstar
    By Crusher in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-02-2006, 10:50 PM
  4. Blatant Disrespect
    By LAPacer in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 11:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •