Thread: espn writer caught plagiarizing an article based on posts from Spurs message board

Default espn writer caught plagiarizing an article based on posts from Spurs message board

espn.com in their insider section had a Spurs-Clippers series preview article posted on their web site, since taken down, "written" by former college coach and former NBA assistant coach and interam head coach for the Celtics in 2004, John Carrol

Trouble is, he clearly plagiarized the article from posts in "SpursTalk"

http://deadspin.com/5910612/former-n...espncom-column

So be on your guard, in case Kravitz has a very long "odd thoughts" column!
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: espn writer caught plagiarizing an article based on posts from Spurs message board

You know the funny thing is, there is better commentary here than I could ever find on the television. The buddy buddy I want to suck on stars nuts thing makes it harder being a Spurs or Pacers fan, because there is no flashiness. Our great players get no national respect. It's really disappointing. This type of blatant plagiarism occurs way more than we realize, because of a few words getting changed, IMO. Congratulations to the Spurs poster who got plagiarized. Nice work.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

Default Re: espn writer caught plagiarizing an article based on posts from Spurs message board

I like how he changed some of the fluff words but kept the meat of the article just the same. Reminds me of writing papers in high school when I'd copy stuff out of a book but use slightly different words so that it wasn't really word for word plagiarism.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ndcoltsnpacers For This Useful Post:

streets ahead

I appreciate how he manipulated some of the fluff words but left the bulk of the piece just the same. I am reminded of working on assignments in the school between junior high and college when I would re-write stuff out of a text but use marginally different terms as to avoid word for word appropriation.
    This is the darkest timeline.

7. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ndcoltsnpacers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like how he changed some of the fluff words but kept the meat of the article just the same. Reminds me of writing papers in high school when I'd copy stuff out of a book but use slightly different words so that it wasn't really word for word plagiarism.
    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    I appreciate how he manipulated some of the fluff words but left the bulk of the piece just the same. I am reminded of working on assignments in the school between junior high and college when I would re-write stuff out of a text but use marginally different terms as to avoid word for word appropriation.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    Nicely done.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There is now Mountain Dew on my monitor. Damn you all!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post: