Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offending Indy

Default Offending Indy

[B]Offending Indy[/B]
    Posted By: JMV jmv@1070thefan.com
    http://www.1070thefan.com/jmv/ ·
    5/10/2012 11:28:00 AM

This seems like a damn good time for Pacers fans to feel offended, even if there's nothing to be offended about. As we await the start of the best of seven Eastern Conference Semifinals between the heavily favored Heat and the upstart Pacers. The time feels right for this fan base to get upset about something, anything. My point is this: Our town, area, fan nation... However you want to describe it, historically is at its' best/loudest/emotional when they're pissed about something.

Look back to the 90's with the perceived lack of national respect for the Pacers. The conspiracy theories that hatched with the large vs. small market debate, the "hicks vs. Knicks" rally cry motivated fans to a feverish level. How about the Colts/Manning era when there was always a feeling of disrespect, a chip on the fans shoulder, even knowing their quarterback was face of the NFL, Colts fans felt disrespected by the Brady/Manning debate. The loathing and flat-out hatred that pushed fans regarding the Colts/Pats rivalry has always seemed a motivational factor for fans in Indiana.

Simply put, professional fans in Indy have always been at their supporting best when they're pissed. There is no doubt that Pacers coach Frank Vogel will take every opportunity to find bulletin board material to motivate his underdog team, but my feeling is the fan base also needs a chip on its shoulder. A "mad as hell, and won't take it anymore" attitude is necessary. So I appeal to LeBron, D-Wade, a broadcaster, writer, the Heat pa nimrod, Marc Anthony, J-Lo, Gloria Estefan, Ozzie Guillen, Crockett & Tubbs, 'The Golden Girls', (well Betty White anyway) Will Smith, a 40 year old -fake tanning-James jersey wearing-showered in Drakkar smelling-sunglasses indoors rockin, dbag fan at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. Say something, anything. The fans here need a fuse and I will help light it.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Offending Indy

Haha wow. At the start of the last paragraph he had me thinking I see why you became a DJ... Nothing wrong with that.. But then he hits us with this little gem:

[QUOTE=, a 40 year old -fake tanning-James jersey wearing-showered in Drakkar smelling-sunglasses indoors rockin, dbag fan at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. Say something, anything. The fans here need a fuse and I will help light it.[/QUOTE]

So true! Its stupid how many of those fools will try to rep that here. And i am NOT knocking on we the fan base when I say that. It's just a fact. And I AM mad about it.

While I've never been one to sneer at the use of the ol' bulletin board routine, at the highest level of basketball it just seems a bit weak.. To me. I don't exactly see don Nelson doing this with the Warriors and Baron Davis and co. some years ago. But in the scenario we have before us here right now in these playoffs.. Do it. Find every snide article you can: you suck, they're too good.. Its Lebron James, you have no superstar, you're too young. Let that remind you what you're REALLY playing for.. Respect.

And I think Coach Frank will. And on a semi-related note. When I do see that lebron James wearing, tanned up dbag at BFL.. Better not say because come to think of it, I think its a crime. Go Pacers! ******* it feels good.
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacers4Life For This Useful Post:

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=7914717

This article is a good start. This pissed me off enough for 2 playoffs.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:

I sent JMV this one, from Shaun Powell on NBA.com:

And so this series will be about the no-stars vs. the All-Stars, the Heartland against South Beach, generic hoops matched with name-brand ball, all of which favor the Heat.

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/feature...iew/index.html
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Yeah that quote pissed me off the most.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah that quote pissed me off the most.
    Yeah, especially since we have a current All-Star and two former All-Stars in our starting line-up. But really it was the "generic" ball vs. "name brand," ball that got under my skin the most.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Mood

Well he did a good job to get us pissed!
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:

"Who's the better coach?
    Erik Spoelstra and Frank Vogel are young coaches who one day could be recognized as being among the best of the bunch. Right now, they're growing into their roles and getting more comfortable with their players. The big difference is only one has the burden of winning now. Spoelstra has everything to lose in this series, where an elimination could cost him his job."

Uh, answer your own question, moron. Or are you dodging your own question, because Vogel is the runaway best coach? Is that inconvenient to your narrative?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

**** I'm still mad about Duhon dancing in game one!

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to focused444 For This Useful Post:

I have a walmart LeBron jersey that someone left here. I'm not gonna get a spray tan though. I guess I could go to the beach and get a regular tan.

Mood

I generally get offended when I dwell on who we are, versus who they are, and how they, along with all other outsiders, view us and 'our place' in the NBA. Hint: It's over in the corner, out of the way, where we don't bother anyone.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

RT
    @GoodmanCBS

: Now all that stands in the way from a Celtics-Heat Eastern Conference finals is the 76ers -- well, and the Pacers, I guess

There ya go.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Don't know whether this has been posted or where to post it so I'll put it here. It's not offending Indiana, somebody is actually congratulating us...
    Last edited by PGisthefuture; 05-11-2012 at 12:58 AM.

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:

I'll be offended if we can't get the home crowd in the lower bowl some gold shirts for a "gold-out"! Let's go!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

I'll be double offended if the lower bowl gets shirts and I don't!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

I'm sorry, i just don't put much faith in this city....we are gonna have a majority of bandwagon Heat fans in the building, just like the regular season.

Indiana has the standard midwest inferiority complex...why should I root for my home team when the other team has those guys on it! Well never be as good as those guys!
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Who cares about all this. I just care about the games. Pacers win that is all I care about.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I'm sorry, i just don't put much faith in this city....we are gonna have a majority of bandwagon Heat fans in the building, just like the regular season.
    This is what we will see. At least with the Chicago fans, we knew a number of them were actually from the Chicago area, and were here to support THEIR home area team. Most of them anyway (At least I think so).

With the Heat, it will be more of the band-wagoners and wannabes and 14 year-olds who don't know any better than to think wearing a James or Wade jersey makes them cool. Saddest part is most of those people will be from the Indy area.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Who cares about all this. I just care about the games. Pacers win that is all I care about.
    Well to a certain extent i agree with you. Pacer's winning is what is most important. However, this team is poised for a great run of successful seasons over the next 5-8 years. Successful teams do not stay in markets that do not support them attendance wise. If we have a bunch of Heat fans at BLFH during the 2nd round of the playoffs, well at some point he is gonna get fed up with it.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

billbradley

Indiana Pacers take preemptive strike against Miami Heat
    Don King must be the Pacers’ new director of public relations.

A less-than-exciting, second-round series for the Heat took a turn toward slightly interesting Wednesday and Thursday when the Pacers’ All-Star center and then the team’s coach tossed a few verbal jabs Miami’s way. King, the master boxing promoter, would be impressed.

First, Indiana center Roy Hibbert fired off a shot at the Heat when he set in motion the team-vs.-collection-of-superstars narrative. Then, as if that wasn’t enough pregame trash talk for one second-round series, Pacers coach Frank Vogel took it a step further when he said Thursday that the Heat’s defense is a flop machine.

“They are the biggest flopping team in the NBA,” Vogel said.

Vogel, who finished third in voting this season for the NBA’s Coach of the Year Award, is no doubt preparing league officials for what’s sure to be a physical series. For his part, Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said Wednesday that he expects the series to be “played in a cage.” The Heat, which was tied for fourth in the league this season in charges drawn per game (2.3), absorbed seven offensive fouls in its first-round win over the Knicks.

Although wingmen Dwyane Wade, LeBron James and Danny Granger will headline the Eastern Conference semifinals matchup, the series could hinge on the battle inside the paint. That’s where the Pacers command a height advantage with Hibbert at center and David West at power forward.

Hibbert inserted himself into the pre-series conversation shortly after the Pacers dispatched the Orlando Magic in the first round. No doubt riding high on a profound sense of accomplishment, Hibbert took a thinly veiled dig at the Heat on Wednesday. Basically, Hibbert thinks the Pacers are a from-scratch, ground-up organization whereas the Heat’s success was built overnight.

“We didn’t do this the easy way,” Hibbert told the Indianapolis Star. “It took time. But Larry Bird and David Morway drafted well. We got [David] West. We got George Hill, Leandro [Barbosa] and Lou [Amundson] for almost nothing. We didn’t do this by signing a couple of superstars.”

The Heat, of course, became an instant contender last season after re-signing Wade and bringing in James and Chris Bosh. This is the Pacers’ first appearance in the Eastern Conference semifinals since losing to the Pistons in 2005.

James complimented the Pacers’ “team-oriented game” Wednesday and said he expects the series “to be fun.” Compared with the Knicks, Wade said the Pacers “are a better team.”

“It will be a tougher series for us,” Wade said. “Indiana plays a lot more in the post. That’s a very good team. … Most teams try to play physical against us. We expect it to be just as physical.”

Although the Heat made quick work of the Knicks, Miami actually lost the rebounding battle in the first four games of its first-round series. Establishing a presence inside will fall to Bosh and the Heat’s collection of marginal centers. They didn’t play a role against the Knicks, but centers Ronny Turiaf and Dexter Pittman could be called into service against the Pacers.

“We know what they bring,” Bosh said. “They can shoot the ball, they have guys that can really play inside and they have great rebounders. We just have to play our game and make sure we control the boards the best we can.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/05/1...#storylink=cpy

34. The Following User Says Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

However, there's no question that the Heat would have toasted the Knicks even had New York's roster been intact. At the same time, the probability of the Pacers beating the gritty Magic had Dwight Howard been healthy is iffy.

The down-and-dirty truth of this series is that the only way Miami can lose is if they defeat themselves. The too-frequent lack of concentration and lack of respect for their opponents of the moment (especially on the road) are the Heat's biggest weaknesses.

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/feature...acers-preview/
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Well to a certain extent i agree with you. Pacer's winning is what is most important. However, this team is poised for a great run of successful seasons over the next 5-8 years. Successful teams do not stay in markets that do not support them attendance wise. If we have a bunch of Heat fans at BLFH during the 2nd round of the playoffs, well at some point he is gonna get fed up with it.

Let me clarify my point. I do care about whether there are Heat fans in our Fieldhouse. I don't like that.

What I don't care about is "respect from the national media"

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

We've got nothing to lose. Haven't we seen this before? Remember Reggie torching the Knicks with all of those 3's back in the 90s? How about Reggie taking Jordan two straight games in the playoffs and proving the critics wrong. When I was at the Magic game there wasn't a buzz outside and perhaps there will be a ton of HEAT fans there. However our inside players are better than theirs. I believe we can really make this a series. We just need to do one thing. BELIEVE

LETS GO PACERS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    I like the Pacers' confidence but if you're going to give Miami bulletin board material, they sure as hell better back it up. The Pacers will look like fools if they get blown out on Sunday.

I'm sure a lot of this is the Miami Herald trying to turn nothing into something. But I would have preferred if the Pacers kept quiet, spouted the usual cliches, kept allowing the media to sleep on them and then surprise everybody with a victory on Sunday. Don't give Miami something to prove, Pacers. The last thing you need is a more motivated Miami squad.
    Last edited by Aw Heck; 05-11-2012 at 11:01 AM.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

billbradley

PTI, ESPN radio, etc. almost every media outlet I listened to or watched yesterday covering the Pacers series said the Pacers are tapping at a sleeping giant.

I didn't even see it as trash talk, but they think it is.