Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 free agent centers, who gets paid?

Default Re: 4 free agent centers, who gets paid?

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dunno, since McGee has arrived in Denver he has played very well. The last 2 games vs the Lakers were very good.
    I might be wrong on McGee and I am still up in the air a little on him. He has looked good in a couple of the LA games but he really looks lost at times.
    There is a reason that he doesn't even start, and often gets his playing time cut under Karl.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Roy has been my favorite Pacer since he did his first interview after we drafted him. With that said, however, I am scared to death of the contract he will likely get this off-season. Anything beyond the 10m a year range and I'm not sure I would be comfortable bringing him back. I guess I may be the only one, but I thought Roy was pretty bad in the Magic series. Everyone keeps talking about how great his defense was but I just can't agree. Sure he blocked several shots (the most overrated stat in basketball imo) but Big Baby still took him to school. I hope whoever is manning the front office next year keeps their options for a sign and trade open if it looks like Roy's contract is going ot get out of hand.

I am just worried if we are not very careful re-signing our guys this year, we run a very real risk of becoming the Atlanta Hawks. While there are certainly worse positions to be in, I don't think it's where anyone really wants to be.

Now hopefully Roy will put up 20 and 10 every game against the Heat as we win the series, at which point we can comfortably say "pay the man."

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Someone has already pointed it out, but I'm going to repeat it. As a 0-6 year veteran, the absolute MAX that Roy's salary can start at, offered by ANY team is about 12.9 million per season. That number is 25% of the current cap, which by rule is the most any one player can take up. If the cap goes up, that number will also go up, but it WON'T go up to 15 million. There are exceptions to that rule, but Roy does not qualify for them.

So to be clear, NO TEAM CAN OFFER ROY $15 MILLION PER SEASON...

The following is lifted directly from Larry Coon's NBA Salary Cap FAQ at www.cbafaq.com

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Here are the league-wide maximum salaries. Note that there are exceptions to the maximum salary (see question number 17).

Years in NBA1 Defined maximum salary 2011-12
    0 - 6 25% of cap2 $12,922,194
    7 - 9 30% of cap2 $15,506,632
    10+ 35% of cap2 $18,091,071

A free agent's maximum salary in the first year of a new contract is never less than 105% of his salary in the last year of his previous contract. For example, a ten-year veteran free agent who most recently earned $20 million has a maximum salary of at least $21 million, even if that is above the league-wide maximum. A free agent does not need to remain with the same team in order to receive 105% of his previous salary, although the team that signs him is subject to the same salary cap restrictions as with any other free agent.

A first round draft pick who completed all four years of his rookie scale contract, or a second round draft pick or an undrafted player who has four years of service, is eligible to receive a higher maximum salary if he meets certain criteria (see question number 17).

Named to the All-NBA First, Second or Third team at least twice
    Voted as a starter in the All-Star game at least twice
    Named the NBA Most Valuable Player at least once
    Last edited by travmil; 05-10-2012 at 07:44 AM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

I will be interested to see what Roy commands. Contact negotiations say whether a player is about the name on the front of the jersey or on the back of the jersey.

McGee is certainly adding the most to his value right now. A few more games like that, and I won't be surprised if some team throws a max or close at him. * cough * Celtics * cough *

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

thanx again to travmil for doing the copy/paste on larry coons nba cba faq. if you want to discuss salary cap, it is a must read. otherwise you end up looking like a dope. been there, done that, have the t-shirt.

couple of half-thought out points. sorry this is a little unorganized.

the 25% max salary is really 22% of the 100% cap and the 100% salary cap number is not really 100%. most teams use the luxury tax level number as their 'true' cap number. right now, the salary cap number is about $58M and the luxury tax number is ~$70M. that means the 'true' cap is about 120% of the actual cap. plus with the cliff provisions, teams can exceed the luxury tax number by $4M or so with out too much pain. which makes the practical cap about 125% of the cap.

all of the above means a team can have up to 4 25%-max contracts and still have plenty of money left over to pay the rest of the roster. funny thing about playoff teams, most of them spend all their $58M-cap money on their top 5 players. or will if those players are still on their rookie contracts.

Lets take a look at the pacers for example. Danny will make $13M and $14M next couple of years. Extend that for two years and you get $15M and $16M. David makes $10M next year. IF he continues to play well, he will make about $12M, $13M and $14M when the pacers resign him. Roy should make $12, $13M, $14M and $15M when he resigns. Paul is still on his rookie contract. Next year $2.5M, then $3.3M. But when he resigns, he will make say $13M and $14M. That means the pacers have extra money to spend for the first couple of years, but are still going to need cap space in two years.

Once roy, danny, david and paul's contracts mature, the pacers will be spending almost all of their cap space on the 4 top guys. Without signing george hill at all. I'm guessing George Hill will be resigned for $6M or $7M. Say $7M, $7.5M, $8M and $8.5M. In a couple of years, the pacers will be bumping up against the luxury tax level without paying for the rest of the team. Unless DC, Tyler, Lance et al are replaced with guys making a minimum salary, the Pacers will be over the luxury tax level. Let me be clear. the team will be roy, danny, david, paul, hill and 8 D-leaguers.

The good news in all this is every team will be having the same kind of problems. And it could be worse. Teams like the Lakers and Heat will be losing guys and not replacing them. Odds are the lakers will be losing a guy every year. The Heat have lots of good role players that will have to take minimum salarys to stay.

Bottom line: a 25%-max contract is not really 25%. It is really 20% [about] of the luxury tax level. A team can carry 4 max salary guys. But not more than that. If the Pacers think the Roy, David, Danny and Paul team, then they can keep them without any real problems. If they want to add a guy, DWill for example, they have to trade/cut one of the other guys to pay for him. And the Pacers need to be real sure George Hill is the 5th guy they want. Because in signing him, they will not be able to affort mid-level, BiAnnual or any other non-minimum salary guys.

Quote Originally Posted by dgranger17 View Post
    The issue then becomes, do you really want almost half of your cap tied up in Granger and Hibbert?
    Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    Cap is 58M, 25% is 14.5M.
    Max should be 5yr/83.4M or 4yr/64.5M with 7.5% raises for resigning own FA, or 79M/61.9M with 4.5% raises from a competing offer.
    YR1 14.5
    YR2 15.6
    YR3 16.7
    YR4 17.8
    YR5 18.9
    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    I will be interested to see what Roy commands. Contact negotiations say whether a player is about the name on the front of the jersey or on the back of the jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Someone has already pointed it out, but I'm going to repeat it. As a 0-6 year veteran, the absolute MAX that Roy's salary can start at, offered by ANY team is about 12.9 million per season. That number is 25% of the current cap, which by rule is the most any one player can take up. If the cap goes up, that number will also go up, but it WON'T go up to 15 million. There are exceptions to that rule, but Roy does not qualify for them.

So to be clear, NO TEAM CAN OFFER ROY $15 MILLION PER SEASON...

The following is lifted directly from Larry Coon's NBA Salary Cap FAQ at www.cbafaq.com

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Here are the league-wide maximum salaries. Note that there are exceptions to the maximum salary (see question number 17).

Years in NBA1 Defined maximum salary 2011-12
    0 - 6 25% of cap2 $12,922,194
    7 - 9 30% of cap2 $15,506,632
    10+ 35% of cap2 $18,091,071

A free agent's maximum salary in the first year of a new contract is never less than 105% of his salary in the last year of his previous contract. For example, a ten-year veteran free agent who most recently earned $20 million has a maximum salary of at least $21 million, even if that is above the league-wide maximum. A free agent does not need to remain with the same team in order to receive 105% of his previous salary, although the team that signs him is subject to the same salary cap restrictions as with any other free agent.

A first round draft pick who completed all four years of his rookie scale contract, or a second round draft pick or an undrafted player who has four years of service, is eligible to receive a higher maximum salary if he meets certain criteria (see question number 17).

Named to the All-NBA First, Second or Third team at least twice
    Voted as a starter in the All-Star game at least twice
    Named the NBA Most Valuable Player at least once
    Olblu read this...

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dgranger17 View Post
    The issue then becomes, do you really want almost half of your cap tied up in Granger and Hibbert?
    While I'd like to keep them both, if I had to choose I'd choose Roy. Skilled wings aren't as rare as big centers who can stay on their feet and avoid fouls.

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    all of the above means a team can have up to 4 25%-max contracts and still have plenty of money left over to pay the rest of the roster. funny thing about playoff teams, most of them spend all their $58M-cap money on their top 5 players. or will if those players are still on their rookie contracts.
    This assumes you don't want to be able to add pieces except via trades. Once you are over the cap you can't get a Free Agent of any kind (and I think you need to have cap space to sign your draft pick, I could be wrong on that).

We have a window where the cap holds for our players is below what their actual signed cap impact will be. I think we need to be sure we do any FA work before we actually ink contracts with our own guys. Hopefully we are allowed to communicate something to them (I know it is problematic to make any kind of verbal agreement involving numbers, I just hope we can say that we aren't dissing them we just want to do things in the right order to help the team).
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Sports Logo

Okay...so whatever the MAX that Hibbert can get....I am going to assume that he will command something close to that #.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Okay...so whatever the MAX that Hibbert can get....I am going to assume that he will command something close to that #.
    Yes I agree. The point is that no team is going to be able to swoop in and make an offer the Pacers wouldn't immediately match.

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hibbert, Kaman, West rotation at the 4-5 with supplemental from Hansbrough and Amundson.

McGee is the most talented? I know he might of been overrated mainly due to his injury problems but I don't think there'd be a single GM in the NBA that would take McGee over Lopez. Now that McGee actually has a good coach though, I could see him develop his game more so I see what you're saying in a sense.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    . . . This assumes you don't want to be able to add pieces except via trades. Once you are over the cap you can't get a Free Agent of any kind (and I think you need to have cap space to sign your draft pick, I could be wrong on that).

We have a window where the cap holds for our players is below what their actual signed cap impact will be. I think we need to be sure we do any FA work before we actually ink contracts with our own guys. Hopefully we are allowed to communicate something to them (I know it is problematic to make any kind of verbal agreement involving numbers, I just hope we can say that we aren't dissing them we just want to do things in the right order to help the team).
    short term yes, long term no. the next couple of years, because paul is still on his rookie contract, the pacers can add a piece without subracting a piece. that is true. but when paul is off his rookie contract, the pacers will be at the luxury tax level. so then they will either go over the luxury tax level, something they don't do, or not resign paul george.

the math is pretty clear. you can keep 4 1/2 25%max contracts. if you want to keep 5 guys, then you can only use min-vets contracts for the rest. that makes adding a player, DWill for example, effectively a trade. to add someone, you have to get rid of someone. add someone expensive, get rid of someone expensive. it is pretty cut and dried.

edit: the pacers can add a short term vet, andre miller, steve nash for example, with no problems. since paul is on a rookie contract, they can use his money to pay for the new guy. but past 2 years, the big contracts will overlap and either the pacers go over the luxury tax level or not resign one of their big contracts.
    Last edited by xIndyFan; 05-10-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    Hibbert, Kaman, West rotation at the 4-5 with supplemental from Hansbrough and Amundson.
    if kaman can play the 4 effectively, lou and tyler don't matter. 'cause they ain't gonna play.

if he cannot, they the pacers have no reason to sign him.

He wants to be here and we want him here. Like Danny he seems to understand what his contract could do to hinder this team. He wants to be here and win. I am betting it comes out about 5 years at 50 million.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kaman is not coming to the Pacers. Maybe if they could have gotten him at the trade deadline, but now it makes no sense. I doubt he would want to sign with the Pacers to be a backup to Hibbert. He is not quick enough to play the 4. Personally, based on the salary cap info above, I'd be ok with resigning Roy. I do not think he will get a max offer, if we can get him to a contract around 9-12 million I would be satisfied with that.

This is the one flaw to Bird's way of building the team. Only so much money to go around yet we have so many valuable pieces. Subtract one piece and things start to crumble. Remember how the bench was playing pre-Barbosa. The chances of him coming back if we resign Hill and Hibbert are slim. I don't know if we can resign Hill and have DC be happy at the same time. Both are going to want to be starters next year.

@Pacers24Colts12

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I'm hoping for more of 10 million per year type of contract over 5 years but expecting more like 12 - 13 million per year over 4 or 5. What really worries me is we become like the Hawks and are just stuck in the 3 - 6 range over the next couple of years and no way to make an improvement because of cap situations. With the people who are reported to be on the outs in our front office I really don't expect any sort of crafty trades to be made to get us to where we want to be. I think we're one piece away from getting over the proverbial hump, if that article about Deron Williams wanting to win has any substance/merit to it we're definitely in the better position considering our cap situation now and the fact that we got further than the mavs in the playoffs but, I still think it's going to take a solid showing against the heat for anyone to really tip our hats to us and give us any sort of credit. It'd be a really nice bargaining chip on our end if we could stretch the Heat out to 6 or 7 games and go and tell Deron we were THIS close to taking it to the heat all we need is one more guy and we think you could be that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersCenter View Post
    Kaman is not coming to the Pacers. Maybe if they could have gotten him at the trade deadline, but now it makes no sense. I doubt he would want to sign with the Pacers to be a backup to Hibbert. He is not quick enough to play the 4. Personally, based on the salary cap info above, I'd be ok with resigning Roy. I do not think he will get a max offer, if we can get him to a contract around 9-12 million I would be satisfied with that.

This is the one flaw to Bird's way of building the team. Only so much money to go around yet we have so many valuable pieces. Subtract one piece and things start to crumble. Remember how the bench was playing pre-Barbosa. The chances of him coming back if we resign Hill and Hibbert are slim. I don't know if we can resign Hill and have DC be happy at the same time. Both are going to want to be starters next year.
    The discusion about Kaman has been beat to death. Yes, Kaman can and has played the 4 effectively and did so for a lot of last season. If we could bring him in as the combo 4/5 we should do it and give him around 30 min. per game. We don't have any player in the logjam that can't be moved for another asset and Kaman would be a huge upgrade. I doubt if this happens though since I think he's really going to be paid, but he if he could be had for 10 mil then we should be all over it. We could add Kaman and Nash then sign Roy and still be under the LT.
    As far as Barbosa, I like having him but we could do better with our cap space. He was brought in as a rental and keeping him should not be a first priority.
    I'm not the least bit worried about losing Hibbert, he's not going to get a max offer elsewhere and even if he does we'll match.
    I'm fine with losing just about anyone else on this team other then Granger and George if it mean a major upgrade at the pg.

If the cap is 58M, and his max salary is 25% of that, then explain how his max salary is 12.9M?

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    If the cap is 58M, and his max salary is 25% of that, then explain how his max salary is 12.9M?
    the best way to explain it is give you this link. it is larry coon's NBA CBA FAQ. it does a great job of explaining the in's and out's of the NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement.

the short answer is they take out some/all benefits before calculating the 100% of cap to base the max salaries on.

here is the larry coon faq explaination

They use a different cap calculation to determine the maximum salaries, which is based on 42.14% of projected BRI rather than 44.74%. For this reason, the maximum salaries are not actually 25%, 30% or 35% of the cap, and instead are a slightly lower amount. For example, even though the salary cap for 2011-12 is $58.044 million and 25% of this amount is $14.511 million, the 0-6 year maximum salary is actually $12,922,194.

McGee looked like his old self out there last night and that wasn't good. 20 minutes, 2 points and 5 fouls.
    I've watched him for several games since the trade and even though he's still young, that doesn't excuse everything. The excuse that centers take longer to develop doesn't cut it, he should be farther along after 4 years in the league. It's a shame with the gifts he has and I hope he figures it out but I can see why Karl has put him in the starting lineup yet. The guy has shown real flashes but I hate seeing a player paid an 8 figure salary based soley on potential. I'm sure he'll start at some point for the Nuggets next year if they keep him, but when's the last time a bench player netted a contract in excess of 10 mil?
    I came across piece quoting Karl about McGee.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci...%3A+Nuggets%29

LOS ANGELES — Each dunk — so vicious and delicious — made the Staples Center shush, except for one blare of bellowing bravado coming from Section 210: "We're going back to Denver, bay-bee!"
    Pamela McGee, the loquacious mother of Denver Nuggets center JaVale McGee, stood and cheered often Tuesday night. After all, her son scored 21 points and had 14 rebounds as Denver won to force tonight's Game 6 at the Pepsi Center against the Lakers, who lead the first-round playoff series 3-2.
    "Anytime he had a dunk," Pamela said Wednesday, "they were all like, 'Who are you?' "
    After the final buzzer, JaVale corralled the game ball and heaved it toward Section 210.
    "It was like Peyton Manning. It
    was right on target," McGee said of the ball his mom caught. "I had to really put a spiral on it." Meet the McGees, the Mile High City's favorite new Denverites. There's proud Pamela, a former basketball star and coach who was seated (occasionally) under a Pepsi Center basket at Games 3 and 4, getting major TV time high-fiving every hand she could. And there's JaVale, the raw, 7-foot, über-athletic 24-year-old skywalker, acquired in a trade for fan favorite Nene back in March.
    Going into the playoffs, not many folks saw McGee being a key factor coming off the bench. But he's become a major factor.
    In the Nuggets' Game 3 victory, he had 16 points and 15 boards. And, with Denver facing elimination Tuesday, holy moly, McGee was a game-changer, outplaying all-star big men Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol with his unorthodox game of hook shots, finger rolls, up-and-under moves and dunks off alley-oop passes from Andre Miller.
    "He's really blossoming in this series," the Lakers' Kobe Bryant said. "He seems to be coming into his own. He's showing a lot of versatility and skill around the basket. Defensively as well, he's changing shots."
    McGee's sudden ascension has caught the eye of fans nationwide, who have made Twitter atwitter. After two mundane games in L.A. to start the series, McGee has played like an all-star in two of the past three games, reminding Nuggets assistant coach Melvin Hunt of a former player. Back in 2007, Hunt was on the Cleveland Cavaliers staff when an unknown guard named Daniel "Boobie" Gibson erupted in the conference finals against Detroit with 21 points in Game 4 and 31 points in Game 6, including 19 fourth-quarter points in the series-clinching game.
    "People were saying he was coming out of nowhere," Hunt said. "That's the comparison that comes to mind right away. His shooting, rebounding the basketball ... it was special."
    McGee plays basketball like the court is a trampoline. On seemingly every possession, he's leaping for either a block, rebound or dunk. He has a 7-foot-6 wingspan and, as Hunt explained, his fingers are so long that they remind him of the character Inspector Gadget saying, "Go, go Gadget fingers!"
    "I don't think I've ever coached a guy like this," said Nuggets coach George Karl, who got his first NBA head coaching job in 1984. "He has the kind of moves of a 6-6 player. The guy he kind of reminds me of a little bit is (1970s star) Connie Hawkins. There's this long, unfolding one-handed stuff. He's got a long way to go to become Connie Hawkins."
    McGee is unpolished. Sometimes, he'll swat a shot into the stands. Other times, he'll swing and miss. And then other times, he'll be called for goaltending a shot that had no shot. But, he's a presence in the paint. Even Bryant missed a couple of layups Tuesday because he was focused on those Gadget fingers.
    In this series, McGee has averaged 3.2 blocks per game. To put that in perspective, only one NBA player had a higher average in the regular season.
    "There are not a lot of people like him in the world," Hunt said. "I mean, seriously. You can throw it up there, and he's so long, he can get to it. He's had six-block games, and also, just the number of shots that he alters, he's just a different kind of player. And when you have a guy who's unique, you got to give him opportunities."
    Opportunities. That was the plan when Denver acquired McGee from Washington. The Nuggets' front office knew McGee had an abundance of athleticism, but he developed bad habits playing for a poor team.
    "Our intent was to get JaVale for the future, not just for three months," Nuggets executive Masai Ujiri said.
    Asked Wednesday whether McGee, a restricted free agent this summer, is a player he wants to lock down for the future, Ujiri said, "One hundred percent."
    So, will Pamela McGee be at the Pepsi Center tonight?
    "Is water wet?" she said.

Read more: Sky's the limit for Denver Nuggets' JaVale McGee - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci...#ixzz1uZ3HpLGT
    Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

http://basketball.realgm.com/blog/22...e_JaVale_McGee

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    The discusion about Kaman has been beat to death. Yes, Kaman can and has played the 4 effectively and did so for a lot of last season. If we could bring him in as the combo 4/5 we should do it and give him around 30 min. per game. We don't have any player in the logjam that can't be moved for another asset and Kaman would be a huge upgrade. I doubt if this happens though since I think he's really going to be paid, but he if he could be had for 10 mil then we should be all over it. We could add Kaman and Nash then sign Roy and still be under the LT.
    As far as Barbosa, I like having him but we could do better with our cap space. He was brought in as a rental and keeping him should not be a first priority.
    I'm not the least bit worried about losing Hibbert, he's not going to get a max offer elsewhere and even if he does we'll match.
    I'm fine with losing just about anyone else on this team other then Granger and George if it mean a major upgrade at the pg.
    he can play it offensively since he has some Gasol-ish range. But defensively I don't like him and Hibbert one bit. Kaman-Emeka makes a bit more sense on that end (but I didn't like it either tbh).

The more i think about it, Roy is gonna end up getting that 13mil max deal. Centers are always overpaid, and Roy's team just won a playoff series with his commitment to defense. Houston is gonna offer him the max, Boston would probably offer him the max as well. Bird will match, and that will mean no chance at Deron Williams. Goran Dragic will be the next point guard for the Pacers. George hill will go back to being the sixth man. DC will be traded on draft night.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

The more i think about it, Roy is gonna end up getting that 13mil max deal. Centers are always overpaid, and Roy's team just won a playoff series with his commitment to defense. Houston is gonna offer him the max, Boston would probably offer him the max as well. Bird will match, and that will mean no chance at Deron Williams. Goran Dragic will be the next point guard for the Pacers. George hill will go back to being the sixth man. DC will be traded on draft night.

Even in that worse case scenerio we still have a shot at Williams or Nash. All Bird has to do is jump on one of these guys first and get them to sign. We have the cap room to do this up until the point where we pay Hibbert. Hibbert knows that he's going to stay here no matter what offer he signs for elsewhere. If he cares about having a better team to play for then he won't sign that offer until Bird takes care of business in free agency. The money is all going to be the same for Hibbert so he doesn't need to be in a hurry this summer. This is how I see it playing out.

more likely the pacers sign one of the veteran PG's for a short term contract. Pacers still have to extend/resign David West at the end of next season. Plus Paul George the year after that. That gives them some short term flexibility to sign someone, but in order to have cap space down the road, any new guys need to be short term signing of a year or 2.

v81 said the pacer will sign andre miller. not sure he is the guy, But some one like him would be logical. This summer there are several veteran PG's available. Look for one of them. Nash, Billups, Miller or Kidd are all guys that fit that description.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    Even in that worse case scenerio we still have a shot at Williams or Nash. All Bird has to do is jump on one of these guys first and get them to sign. We have the cap room to do this up until the point where we pay Hibbert. Hibbert knows that he's going to stay here no matter what offer he signs for elsewhere. If he cares about having a better team to play for then he won't sign that offer until Bird takes care of business in free agency. The money is all going to be the same for Hibbert so he doesn't need to be in a hurry this summer. This is how I see it playing out.