Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grantland article about the Pacers popularity

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Grantland article about the Pacers popularity

If the Pacers leave the state I'll be behind them by maybe 6 months max, even if I don't move to the same location they move to.

They are a major reason I stay because in many other ways the state has nothing to offer me.

1) Up until 2000, Indiana was *crazy* about the Pacers. I don't know what this guy was getting at by saying that Indiana never really supported them "fully". That's some incorrect information, right there. Anyone that went to MSA during the Reggie playoff years knows that it was the loudest arena in the league.
    The playoff years also include years like 90-91-92 and you could walk up and get seats for a playoff game. I've told the story before about the night Dale ended his rookie hold-out and suited up. We went down 30 minutes before tipoff and bought 4 seats together about 17 rows up for $7 each (box office). They used the curtains almost all the time.

Yes the curtains could be removed for the playoffs, but there was more green than gold when the Pacers played the Celtics. The fans that were "always with them" didn't show up anymore than the Harbaugh fans showed up the year after the AFC CG vs the Steelers.

98-99-2000 was like Manning finally getting the Colts to sold-out season ticket level which only took about 10 years of winning (="I guess maybe they don't totally suck now")

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Colts have an 87% renewal rate for their season tickets. I think that's pretty damn good considering that we just went 2-14 and lost one of the greatest players in NFL history. You also have to assume that x% of people are going to cancel for reasons that have nothing to do with the team (lost job, health, moving, etc).

Yes, it took Manning's arrival to build a large fan base, but you can't expect a new team wearing gear from another city to *immediately* turn people into diehard fans. Especially when Indy was full of people who were fans of teams like the Bears and Bengals (also Packers, Steelers, Cowboys..the national teams). The Colts had to rely almost exclusively on central Indiana (which is much smaller than most markets) because you will never get the northern part of the state to convert (Bears Country), nor will you ever get the area right near Cincy to convert (Bengals country). Thankfully they have converted the area near Louisville.

Building a fan base in a small market takes time.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 05-09-2012 at 02:20 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

RWB

Mood

Fans are starting to come back. With this series win, I expect the attendance to be MUCH better next year. After all that happened, I think the Pacers are having to start semi-fresh with the fan base. Sure there are us diehards, but most of the city abandoned the Pacers due to the off court stuff and then the Colts becoming good at the same time. Looking at the list by percentage, I don't think those are horrible numbers.

Another thing to factor in, how many weekend games did we have this year? It didn't seem like hardly any. That plays a big factor for a lot of people with kids (atleast it does for me).

The Fieldhouse will turn into the place to be again.

@Pacers24Colts12

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Indiana's people are so knowledgeable when it comes to basketball,that half of the attendance could be head coaches in Greece and in Europe.
    Yeah, we Europeans don't know anything about basketball
    Haha that reminds me of an episode from The Office where Michael Scott is working in a call center and talks to an Indian-born colleague who tells him he was a surgeon back home. Michael is wondering what kind of profession he would have in India and says something along the lines "I would probably be president".

The article on grantland is really good by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    They used the curtains almost all the time.
    I must be getting senile because I really don't remember the curtains being used starting with the Rifleman and Reggie years? Absolutely during the terrible reign under Irvine with Clark and Herbie being our stars. Now for the playoffs they did use those green tarps around the tunnels that were supposed to keep players from being spat on, but if they were there as an excuse for not selling out I could buy that.
    Last edited by RWB; 05-09-2012 at 02:07 PM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If the Pacers leave the state I'll be behind them by maybe 6 months max, even if I don't move to the same location they move to.

They are a major reason I stay because in many other ways the state has nothing to offer me.
    You stay in Indiana solely because of the Pacers???
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Dunno about Seth, but they are one of the reasons I moved back. Well, that and hating Atlanta with the passion of a thousand white hot suns.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Maybe I'm just a jerk, but I didn't appreciate all the derogatory remarks about Indiana in the opening paragraph.

I don't believe the curtains were used after 1985. Pacers averaged less than 5000 per game in 1984. Once attendance got back above 8000 or so the curtains were not needed.

Gross, did anyone read the comments and see this guy's drivel?

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
    The reason we don't support the Pacers, is because so many of us actually played the game competitively at some level. This means the most important thing to us is winning. It is not good enough for a basketball fan from Indiana to support a team that considers a succesful season a 2nd round play off appearance. If we felt like we actually had a chance to win a championship, we would sell Banker's Life out every night. I think Eric Gordon would be enough. He is not intimidated by the league's "superstars", would not back down from them in the playoffs like the pathetic Danny Granger is about to show us against the Heat, and would convince not only his team mates, but the city, the team is good enough to beat anyone.
    followed up with this bit of profound insight:

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
    Two of the more liberal cities in the NBA where they teach their kids winning and losing don't matter as long as you "have fun, and try hard" Portland and San Fransisco, keep their two franchises in the top 10 in attendance every year despite not making the play offs......maybe we should be more like them and just support the team bc they try hard, and have good attitudes, even though they have no chance at a title......hmmm no, if we accepted losing like that we'd probably be speaking German or Japanese today, and soccer would be our national sport.
    Maybe the Pacers SHOULD move...

Almost every Mark Titus article at some point includes the following quote paraphrased: "Indiana sucks really bad, glad I have an ESPN column so I can write about how bad Indiana sucks. Aren't I cool?"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

It's a significant factor. For my degree this state is a disaster, which is why I went to Houston in the first place.

It doesn't take many trips to places like Austin, Minny, Seattle, San Fran, San Antonio, Phoenix, etc to realize there a lot great ways to be living your life outside of this state. I always hope to see Indy change to be more progressive and interesting, and to a degree it has. But it's still behind culturally speaking, and landscape/weather is WAY behind.

Atlanta wouldn't be a choice though, so I get why Bill bailed out. ATL and HOU are so annoyingly big. Indy's ease of use is a big plus.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

I'm sort of in the same boat. I bought a place north of Sacramento, but I'm also keeping my house here. I plan to stay in Indy during NBA season to watch the Pacers, then head to Cali the other portions. I will probably stay away during Dec-Feb as well. Pacers are a pretty big part of my life.

It doesn't take many trips to places like Austin, Minny, Seattle, San Fran, San Antonio, Phoenix, etc to realize there a lot great ways to be living your life outside of this state. I always hope to see Indy change to be more progressive and interesting, and to a degree it has. But it's still behind culturally speaking, and landscape/weather is WAY behind.
    You named 3 of my favorite 5 cities in the US. Austin, San Fran and Seattle. Boston and Columbia SC round it out. Indy is up there by default, although it really is a great city when you factor everything in.