Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 5/8/2012 NBA Playoffs, First Round - Game Thread #5: Pacers Vs. Magic

streets ahead

Default 5/8/2012 NBA Playoffs, First Round - Game Thread #5: Pacers Vs. Magic

DESTROY THE DISNEYS!
    Not a Redickulous Thought...

-VS-

Game Time Start: 7:00 PM EST
    Where: The Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, IN
    Officials: M. McCutchen, M. Davis, D. Guthrie, D. Collins

Media Notes: Indiana Notes, Orlando Notes
    Television: NBATV, FSI
    Local Radio: WIBC 93.1 FM
    NBA Feeds:

REMINDER: Per PD policy, please do not share a link to, describe how to search for, request a link to, or request a PM about streaming video of a NBA game that is not coming directly through the NBA. Not even in a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge, know-what-I-mean" round-about sort of way. Thank you

Series & Season Records:
    44-25
    Home: 25-11
    38-31
    Away: 17-18
    Upcoming Games:
    May 11
    May 13
    at
    vs
    If Necessary
    If Necessary

Projected Starting Lineup:
    C
    PF
    SF
    SG
    PG
    HIBBERT
    WEST
    GRANGER
    GEORGE
    HILL
    Projected Starting Lineup:
    C
    PF
    SF
    SG
    PG
    DAVIS
    ANDERSON
    TURKOGLU
    RICHARDSON
    NELSON

Pacers
    Leandro Barbosa, sprained ankle, probable
    Darren Collison, sore groin, probable

Magic
    Glen Davis, sprained ankle, probable
    Dwight Howard, herniated disc, out

Eight Points, Nine Seconds Preview Review:
    Jared Wade: Defensive Collapse in Game 4 Nearly Costs Win

The Pacers certainly made Game Four interesting. They did win, however, so let’s start
    with the good: going back to the regular season, they won their 7th straight road game
    and now head home with a 3-1 series lead on the Magic. It would take a collapse over
    the next three games that even Indiana seems incapable of to not advance to the next
    round. And if we look just at Game Four, the team showed an ability to step up on key
    possessions. They made plays when they needed to make plays.

Now, the bad: everything else that happened in the fourth quarter.

With just 8:14 remaining in regulation, the Pacers led 82-63. Then Indiana, particularly
    its interior defense, decided to take the rest of the quarter off, allowing the Magic to
    end the game on a 26-7 run that extended the contest into overtime. This wasn’t
    exactly the Grizzlies letting the Clippers come back from down 21 points with 12
    minutes to play — it was, mathematically, worse. Moreover, the Magic don’t employ
    Chris Paul or Blake Griffin.

How in the world could this happen?

With a total defensive breakdown. And perhaps a questionable coaching decision.

The run began with two Jameer Nelson/Glen Davis pick-and-rolls that were defended
    equally poorly. On the first, David West (weakly) moved over to stall Nelson’s ball
    penetration and make no real attempt to recover as Jameer made an easy bounce
    pass to a rolling Davis. No other Pacer reacted either and Baby got the easy dunk.
    On the second, Nelson found no resistance and drove all the way to the hoop for an
    uncontested layup.

They switched it up after that, instead letting JJ Redick handle the ball in an end-line
    out of bounds play. Davis set the screen, Leandro Barbosa and Roy Hiibbert acted
    entirely indifferent to JJ’s drive and the former Dukie finished at the rim. Orlando
    wisely went with this two-man game again soon and while Hibbert played the action
    better, Leandro was again caught in no man’s land and nearly stumbled as he
    fruitlessly flailed at Big Baby as he walked his way to an easy dunk.

Indiana’s once-19-point lead was down to 11 with just over 6 minutes to play.

This was when coach Frank Vogel went small...CONTINUE READING AT 8p9s

Magic Basketball Review:
    Recap

With 8:14 left in the fourth quarter, the Orlando Magic were down by 19 points with the
    score at 82-63 in favor of the Indiana Pacers.

The Pacers, just like in Games 2 and 3, used a strong third quarter surge (outscoring
    the Magic by 10 points in the period) to increase their lead to double-digits heading into
    the fourth quarter. And early on in the period, it seemed like Indiana was going to blow
    Orlando out of the water and put them out of their misery.

Staring at a 19-point deficit and also a 3-1 series deficit, things were looking bleak for
    the Magic. But instead of rolling over, head coach Stan Van Gundy — ever the fighter —
    didn’t give up. Coming out of an official timeout, Van Gundy made an adjustment that
    sparked a 26-7 run to end the fourth quarter, culminating in Nelson getting a chance to
    win the game on Orlando’s final possession in regulation.

What adjustment was that?

With Ryan Anderson continuing to get bottled up by the Pacers in Game 4, just like in
    the first three games of the series, Van Gundy went small and rolled the dice with a 5-
    man unit of Nelson-Redick-J. Richardson-Turkoglu-Davis. It’s a lineup that played a
    total of one minute together in the regular season.

So you can forgive head coach Frank Vogel for not being prepared and expecting that
    lineup to take the floor for the Magic.

That small-ball unit for Orlando rolled off 14 consecutive points, to cut their deficit to
    five points with the score at 82-77, before Indiana responded a basket of their own. At
    that point, the Magic — echoing the fighting spirit of Van Gundy — made it clear that
    they weren’t going...CONTINUE READING AT MAGIC BASKETBALL

Hickory-High Review:
    DREW: Picking On Player Ratings

Kyle Soppe also writes about the NBA for Pickin’ Splinters. Follow him on Twitter.

There are a slew of basketball analysts out there, and if you’re so inclined, you can find
    a respectable personality predicting almost every single outcome. I try to limit myself,
    listening to a consistent chorus of voices that I have particular respect for. The numbers
    side of me loves John Hollinger, while my heart likes listening to Michael Wilbon and
    Chris Broussard. I’ve been lucky enough to meet a close friend, Drew Shaner, who has
    the rare combination of appealing to both. He’s a friend that I would place my absolute
    trust in if my basketball fan-hood was on the line. I’d like to introduce you to a numbers-
    based rating system, developed by Mr. Shaner, that helps rank the remaining playoff
    teams.

“Defensive Rating and Experience Wins”, DREW for short, helps the common basketball
    fan determine the most likely winner of each series, and finally, the NBA title. This
    system may not appeal to everyone, but my experiences rooting alongside Drew give
    me a lot of faith in his method.

The first step to crowning a champion is rating each player on each teamss starting five
    on a scale from 1-10. Drew used a simple grading system: a perfect 10 for MVP
    candidates, 8-9 for all stars, and onward down. This system rewards balanced teams
    that have five viable threats, you know, the type of team that tends to succeed in the
    summer months.

Drew’s ratings per player in the 2012 postseason, from best to worst.

Eastern Conference:

Boston Celtics (38) –
    Rajon Rondo (9), Paul Pierce (9), Kevin Garnett (8), Avery Bradley (6), Brandon Bass (6)

Miami Heat (38) –
    LeBron James (10), Dwyane Wade (9), Chris Bosh (8), Udonis Haslem (6), Mario Chalmers (5)

New York Knicks (37) –
    Carmelo Anthony (9), Amare Stoudemire (8), Tyson Chandler (8), Baron Davis (6), Landry Fields (6)

Indiana Pacers (35) –
    Danny Granger (8), Paul George (7), David West (7), Roy Hibbert (7), Darren Collison (6)

Chicago Bulls (34) –
    Luol Deng (8), Joakim Noah (8), Carlos Boozer (7), Richard Hamilton (6), C.J. Watson (5)

Atlanta Hawks (33) –
    Josh Smith (8), Joe Johnson (8), Jeff Teague (7), Kirk Hinrich (6), Jason Collins (4)

Orlando Magic (32) –
    Hedo Turkoglu (7), Ryan Anderson (7), Glen Davis (6), Jason Richardson (6), Jameer Nelson (6)

Philadelphia 76ers (32) –
    Andre Iguodala (8), Jrue Holiday (7), Elton Brand (6), Evan Turner (6), Lavoy Allen (5)

After calculating the team score for each roster, Drew factors in coaching and
    defensive tenacity. With the worst player being ranked 4, he made +/- 3 points
    maximum for “intangibles”, as it’s hard to quantify intangibles as being more
    valuable than any specific player.

The Bulls (“huge credit to Thibs and their lock down defense”) were the only team
    in the East to max out on intangible credit, boosting their total score to 37.

The Celtics and 76ers both gained 2 points, while the Hawks, Magic, Heat, and
    Pacers all gained 1 point.

The Knicks lack of aggression on the defensive end (no bonus points for dominating
    fire extinguishers) and a fill-in head coach left them as the only playoff team with
    a negative intangible score.

Updated standings...CONTINUE READING AT HICKORY-HIGH

140 Characters of (Non-PD) Coverage
    Pacers
    Mike Wells @MikeWellsNBA
    Jared Wade @8pts9secs
    Tim Donahue @TimDonahue8p9s
    Tom Lewis @indycornrows
    Ian Levy @HickoryHigh
    Magic
    Orlando Sentinel @joshuabrobbins
    Magic Basketball @erivera7
    Orlando Pinstripe Post @BQRMagic

This is the darkest timeline.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 5/8/2012 NBA Playoffs, First Round - Game Thread #5: Pacers Vs. Magic

If we win this one, as far as I'm concerned, all is forgiven from game 1. Let's get it done in front of the home crowd!

Sports Logo

Default Re: 5/8/2012 NBA Playoffs, First Round - Game Thread #5: Pacers Vs. Magic

I seriously hope that the only thing that the frontcourt and GH/DC was doing over the last 2 days was working on their 'Pick and Roll' defense. Seriously, they were killing us with this throughout the entire series.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

immortal shaman rat king Ratking's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

Frank Vogel's pre-game speech: "Alright guys, I know I've been talking about stomping throats all season, but tonight we face the Mother Of All Throats. Roy, I want you to drop-kick the throat. Paul, spinning heel kick the throat. Danny, stomp the throat without traveling. David, I don't even need to tell you. Once this throat is stomped, it will not draw breath again."
    We got a new weapon this time around: a Lance forged on the Isle de Coney, built for piercing trolls and false kings alike! Prince Paul rides with this Lance at hand, from the West fortress on Mt. Hibb. He shall pierce the demon heart of your misguided Cavalier, and he shall claim his crown.

~War cry of the Ratking (2013 ECF)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ratking For This Useful Post:

Start your engines, cause mickey mouse is goin' fishin'!

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to The Sleeze For This Useful Post:

On the radio today up here in Lafayette they were promoting one of the local bars carrying the game and wanted everyone to show up in blue and gold. They are having specials just for tonight. This is the first time in a loooong time that I have heard anything like this in Lafayette. They never talk about the Pacers up here on the radio, let alone promote viewing the game at a sports bar.......Pacer Fever is spreading.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Sleeze For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ratking View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Frank Vogel's pre-game speech: "Alright guys, I know I've been talking about stomping throats all season, but tonight we face the Mother Of All Throats. Roy, I want you to drop-kick the throat. Paul, spinning heel kick the throat. Danny, stomp the throat without traveling. David, I don't even need to tell you. Once this throat is stomped, it will not draw breath again."
    Gregg Williams, is that you? So, after your banishment from the NFL, you decided to change sports, and are hiding out on an NBA board?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheDavisBrothers For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    On the radio today up here in Lafayette they were promoting one of the local bars carrying the game and wanted everyone to show up in blue and gold. They are having specials just for tonight. This is the first time in a loooong time that I have heard anything like this in Lafayette. They never talk about the Pacers up here on the radio, let alone promote viewing the game at a sports bar.......Pacer Fever is spreading.
    I somehow never realized that you live in Lafayette. I won't be able to tonight, but if this bar keeps showing games through the second round, we should meet up for one or two. What bar is it?
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    Gregg Williams, is that you? So, after your banishment from the NFL, you decided to change sports, and are hiding out on an NBA board?
    Had it been Gregg Williams, it would've been more like "Once this throat is stomped, I'll pay you all an extra $50. $100 if you 'accidentally' stomp SVG's neck too."
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TOP For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    I somehow never realized that you live in Lafayette. I won't be able to tonight, but if this bar keeps showing games through the second round, we should meet up for one or two. What bar is it?
    End Zone, on the south side off 350 (Veteran's)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to The Sleeze For This Useful Post:

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Can't wait!!!
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Mood

awesome, I live pretty close to 350, on Beck Lane
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Ratking View Post
    Deep throat speech, dude.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Disney now knows where you live, and is going to **** you up. A ha.

Mood

end this **** tonight!!!!!!!!!

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Going to my first playoff game ever tonight!
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    Have fun.

And make some noooooooise!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mood

ROBERT MATHIS ‏ @RobertMathis98
    Me & my dawgz @GaryBrackett58 @Tweez41 & @JPowers25 hitting the game 2nite to see @Hoya2aPacer & the #PACERS slam the door on the magic!

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Coupe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    I was at game 2, def one of the funnest and best experiences of my life !

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Coupe For This Useful Post:

Let's close this thing out!
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Coupe View Post
    ROBERT MATHIS ‏ @RobertMathis98
    Me & my dawgz @GaryBrackett58 @Tweez41 & @JPowers25
    hitting the game 2nite to see @Hoya2aPacer & the #PACERS slam the door on the magic!
    I have no clue who these people are.

Are they on the Colts or something?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I have no clue who these people are.

Are they on the Colts or something?
    Yep. Mathis, Gary Brackett (now former Colt), Antoine Bethea, and Jerraud Powers
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Lololol Chris, Cro, and Brooke came back from Orlando very tan.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post: