Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joseph Addai signs with Patriots

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Joseph Addai signs with Patriots

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal..._joseph_addai/

The Patriots have agreed to a contract with former Colts running back Joseph Addai, according to a league source.

Terms were not disclosed.

Addai, 29, was one of three veteran running backs - also Ryan Grant and Tim Hightower - to visit the team recently. The Patriots need a veteran back to aid second-year players Stevan Ridley and Shane Vereen after BenJarvus Green-Ellis signed with the Bengals.

The Patriots also signed undrafted Mississippi running back Brandon Bolden.

Addai (5 feet 11 inches, 214 pounds) was the 30th overall pick in the 2006 draft out of LSU. He gained more than 1,000 yards in each of his first two seasons with the Colts before his effectiveness trailed off. Leg injuries limited him to 20 games over the past two seasons.

Addai averaged 3.7 yards per carry last season and he was released by the Colts. A very good receiver, Addai has 191 career catches.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Joseph Addai signs with Patriots

I saw some folks here who pointed out that Addai and Clark had not yet signed and this meant that they were not good players. New England doesn't make many mistakes on their signings. They picked up Gonzo and Joe. They are loaded at TE so Clark won't be going there. Have Bullit or Bracket signed with anyone yet?

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I saw some folks here who pointed out that Addai and Clark had not yet signed and this meant that they were not good players. New England doesn't make many mistakes on their signings. They picked up Gonzo and Joe. They are loaded at TE so Clark won't be going there. Have Bullit or Bracket signed with anyone yet?

Addai's poor production over recent years speaks for itself. And Gonzo was never any good to begin with. He hasn't done squat since 2008, and even then he wasn't particularly good.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

RWB

Banned
    Mood

Addai's production was not poor. When you add in his receiving yards, he was very productive and a great blocker protecting the QB on a blitz. The Colts do not have anyone of his ilk on the team now, certainly not Brown. New England will get lots of production from him. Gonzo was very good but injury prone. He should have some good years ahead of him if he can stay healthy.

Gosh I remember when Addai should have been the MVP in the winning Super Bowl. Ooops, that was Dom, my bad.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Addai's production was not poor. When you add in his receiving yards, he was very productive and a great blocker protecting the QB on a blitz. The Colts do not have anyone of his ilk on the team now, certainly not Brown. New England will get lots of production from him. Gonzo was very good but injury prone. He should have some good years ahead of him if he can stay healthy.
    How much Production? He hasn't had a season of over 500 yards rushing in what 2-3 years? He is a running back after all...They have a guy there in Vereen I like better than him already and I highly doubt with the current layout that Gonzo is on the active roster on the field come opening day...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    How much Production? He hasn't had a season of over 500 yards rushing in what 2-3 years? He is a running back after all...They have a guy there in Vereen I like better than him already and I highly doubt with the current layout that Gonzo is on the active roster on the field come opening day...
    I'm disappointed in you... Stop feeding the !

Banned
    Mood

He gained 495 yards in 8 games in 2010 with an average of 4.3 yards per carry.

He gained 433 yards in 12 games with a 3.7 yards per carry.

Add his receiving yards and you have a productive player who can block. Brown couldn't stop you or me from getting to the QB. You might be right about Gonzo but they have a couple of aging receivers and one of them didn't do much last year (Ocho). If they only use Addai in passing situations, he will be a good addition. One of the reporters from the Indy Star has a column today that says he would have brought Addai back over several players that did return...........

Banned
    Mood

So I am a troll for disagreeing with him? I think you are the troll for calling me names...... If you disagree with what I said, state why you disagree like your friend did. I still disagree with him about Addai but he may be right about Gonzo...... So, step up Mr. Troll and say something or keep your non opinion to yourself and quit calling people names.

Thanks to the moderators for cleaning up this post. I just get irritated when every time I have a difference of opinion with a poster, I am called a troll.......
    Last edited by OlBlu; 05-06-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Banned
    Mood

Here is the article from the Star today (Will your buddy suggest Chappell is also a troll?):

The Colts should have brought Joe Addai back; now heís a Patriot

4 hours ago | Written by Mike Chappell |
    2 Comments

Joseph Addai represented a versatile tool for Peyton Manning. (Matt Detrich/ The Star)

Joe Addai? A New England Patriot? Heís joined Anthony Gonzalez on the Dark Side?

I have to say Iím a bit disappointed, but not surprised.

Iím disappointed because I thought Addai was the one player GM Ryan Grigson and his personnel staff whacked in March in sweeping cost-cutting moves that should have been re-signed.

First, a disclaimer. I like Joe. Good guy. Stand-up guy in the locker room. The media lost a very good voice.

That aside, Addai would have been an ideal third-down option for quarterback Andrew Luck and coordinator Bruce Arians. He still can be an effective runner in spots, is an exceptional receiver out of the backfield and is an outstanding blocker in pass protection.

Addai isnít and really never was a 20-25 carry per game running back. And yes, he always seemed to be battling some type of injury. But he would have been a perfect situational player and likely only cost the veteranís minimum.

As for not being surprised that Addai landed in New England, same reason I had hoped he would return to Indy. Heís a perfect fit. Heís a younger Kevin Faulk. Two former LSU standouts, same style.

On third-and-7, quarterback Tom Brady can work out of the shotgun and have Addai to one side. Addai can pick up the blitz, take a handoff and move the chains or slip out of the backfield and catch that pass over the middle.

Peyton Manning always talked about the value of having Addai in the backfield. Now, Brady can pick up the dialogue.

Good for Joe.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They can have him. He can't hit the hole, is afraid to get hit, and isn't elusive. I applaud new management for getting rid of mediocre players at best. Yes, I am calling Dallas a mediocre player at best. He was a product of Peyton and if we can get real players to go along with Luck, even if he doesn't turn out to be awesome, but say, Stafford-level, we can still win.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

Addai is competing for the 4th RB spot (behind Ridley, Vereen, & Woodhead) with 3 fullbacks that also under contract. He would have to show some special teams ability to make the roster, but he provides injury insurance in training camp. 50-50 odds at best.

Gonzales has about a 10% chance to make it: Lloyd, Welker, Gaffney, Slater (ST captain) are locks, No less than 7 players are competing for at most other WR two roster spots: Gonzales, Branch, Edelman, Ochocinco, Donte Stallworth, youngsters Britt Davis and Jeremy Eberts. I assume that Brady's comfort level with Stallworth and especially Branch makes one of them likely. For the last spot, if it exists, I would assume ST ability is a must, meaning Ochocinco is gone and likely Gonzales, in favor of Edelman (main punt returner and KO returner last year), with the two youngsters being practice squad eligible if they pass waivers.

bottom line: very slim odds both of thee guys are Patriots, since the Pats have built crazy depth going into training camp.

One wild card: Since Gonzales was injured, he could be stashed away on the physically unable to perform list and join the roster mid-season if another WR is seriously injured.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

If the Patriots need a blocker for Brady then Addai should be OK for the games he manages to play in. I'm not sure the Pats will actually keep him thru the final cut because they don't seem to be like the Colts who held onto injury prone players just to prove a point and keep them counting against the cap.

Gonzo... I have no idea about. He never hardly played as a Colt. I'm not sure whether that was more due to injury or the arrogance the team operated with and whether they were making a point with him sidelined for some kind of punishment or just didn't want to admit he was a draft bust.

Based on their Colt production these last few years, the Pats can have these players.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

If he makes the team, Addai might work out with the Pats. He's a blocking and timing guy, and he doesn't fumble. I know it seems like he did, but he only had 7 fumbles in 6 full seasons. QB's like Peyton and Brady, who have good timing, quick releases, will make a guy like Addai look pretty good most of the time. The only problem I ever had with Addai is that he's not a break away guy who's a threat to score from anywhere on the field. If you were the defense, you never had to worry about Addai breaking a 40+ yard run.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    If he makes the team, Addai might work out with the Pats. He's a blocking and timing guy, and he doesn't fumble. I know it seems like he did, but he only had 7 fumbles in 6 full seasons. QB's like Peyton and Brady, who have good timing, quick releases, will make a guy like Addai look pretty good most of the time. The only problem I ever had with Addai is that he's not a break away guy who's a threat to score from anywhere on the field. If you were the defense, you never had to worry about Addai breaking a 40+ yard run.
    He is essentially Kevin Faulk...

Donald Brown averaged 4.8 yards a carry last year. That is more than Addai averaged in every season aside from his rookie one. Addai hasn't averaged 4 yards since 2007.

No one is denying that there was a time when Addai was a very productive player and we are all thankful to him for that. But his best years were a long time ago. He could block and add potentially add some value to the team, but the resident Patriots fan in this forum (Slick) is skeptical as to whether he can make the roster and I trust his opinion on all things Pats as he follows the team closely.

And Gonzo was never "very good". We had several "very good" (or great) offensive players over the Manning era (Harrison, Wayne, Stokley, Clark, even Garcon at times), but Gonzo was never one of them. And the last time you could say that Gonzo was even remotely good was 2008, which is a lifetime ago by NFL standards. Gonzo has done *nothing* in recent years. He has barely even played.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

my opinion is that Gonzales is insurance, for the very unlikely event that Wes Welker doesn't sign his franchise tender and is a holdout at the start of the season. But then Stallworth and Gaffney became available, so he is just a third round of insurance for a event that is unlikely in the first place.

I could be wrong and maybe there are still reasons why Gonzales was a first round pick that still exist today, but... has anyone seen it? He doesn't seem to have 1st round speed, hands, and definitely not durability. Did he also have a concussion issue, or am I mis-remembering?

Addai I just don't see it either, except for the receiving skills.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    my opinion is that Gonzales is insurance, for the very unlikely event that Wes Welker doesn't sign his franchise tender and is a holdout at the start of the season. But then Stallworth and Gaffney became available, so he is just a third round of insurance for a event that is unlikely in the first place.

I could be wrong and maybe there are still reasons why Gonzales was a first round pick that still exist today, but... has anyone seen it? He doesn't seem to have 1st round speed, hands, and definitely not durability. Did he also have a concussion issue, or am I mis-remembering?

Addai I just don't see it either, except for the receiving skills.

Gonzo had a concussion in 2008 but most of his injuries where his knees and hamstring related. The only thing he had going for him was his hands. His speed was average but he was a solid route runner.

He is basically worthless until he proves people wrong on the field and I highly doubt that happens at New England given their depth.

Losing JA killed us in one spot and that is pass protection. Given DB inconsistency and Carter's inability to hold onto the ball at all I was really surprised we did not address the RB spot.

Even with his production going down and injuries JA was still one of the best blocking backs in the league. If he can stay healthy he would be a great third down back for the Pats. He can block with the best of them and has great hands for a RB.

Also, it is hard to get on JA about his production given how **** poor our offensive line has been for years. It is hard to really get on DB and JA given the fact both dealt with guys in the backfield routinely and the lack of holes to actually hit.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

thanks, I forgot that he was such a good blocker.

Belichick actually values that very highly--Kevin Faulk is great at it, and arguably it kept him on the roster for a few extra years. This means Addai could compete with Woodhead (not a good blocker so far) for the 3rd down back role.

Banned
    Mood

Addai averaged 4.3 yds per carry in 2010. I think he will be the third down back for the Pats as some here have suggested. His ability to block and catch passes will earn him a spot on the team. You may be right about Gonzo......

None of us, including myself actually know if Addai is a good blocker. We are just spouting what the commentators say every game. Have you ever watched him and said WOW NICE BLOCK! I'm glad they let him go.
    DG for 3

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ColeTheMole View Post
    None of us, including myself actually know if Addai is a good blocker. We are just spouting what the commentators say every game. Have you ever watched him and said WOW NICE BLOCK! I'm glad they let him go.
    Uh yes, yes I have .....

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ColeTheMole View Post
    Yeah I actually do know the guy is a good blocker. There have been numerous times where JA stepped up and picked up a blitzing linebacker and gave Manning that split second to get the ball out. The guy knows his assignments and where he is needed in pass protection. I do not know how you can watch the game and not notice that he is good in pass protection.

We are still a pass first offense and I am worried how DB and Carter will hold up in pass protection.

Banned
    Mood

Have you ever watched a game. Addai picks up blitzes very well and products the QB. They run through and over Brown.... There is a vast difference and he will play a lot for New England. He is also a first class receiver....