Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Indiana Fever Thread

Default Re: 2012 Indiana Fever Thread

Indy Star says Katie Douglas is day-to-day with a sprained ankle.
    link

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow, Congrats to the Fever. I really hope Catch finally gets a ring, but its going to be a struggle with Katie, nevermind without her.

That said, the fact that Larkins was limping bothers me more. She's been great (and a surprise) with rebounding, and the Fever will need that.

My suggestion would be for the Fever to play incredibly physical. Slow the game down, ugly it up..and beat up the Lynx players. (Okay, you can't beat up Rebecca Brunson, but Maya Moore and Augustine don't like the contact...and if they don't play well, the Fever have a chance.)

January also, likely needs to have the best three games of her life.
    Yeah. I'm not sure that it bothers me more, but Larkins less than 100% is definitely a concern. She has been great, they need her toughness, she's a great compliment to Tamika just in terms of grittiness. Rebounds are like gold in a physical series, especially the O boards she snags. I'm going to assume it wasn't too bad since she came back out on the court. Larkins has been taking a beating all season and seems to weather it pretty well.

January will need to have a great series. I think she's capable. She was great in the Atlanta series and really good in the second half of the clincher against the Sun. But she's somewhat inconsistent. It seems like she's been taking little jumps toward a higher level if play, much like the season where it was all derailed when she tore her ACL. I wonder how much that is on her mind still. Didn't look like she was thinking about it when she hurled herself into the bench. It certainly would make things interesting if the second half was the beginning of that moment when she takes the next step.

Horrible luck with Katie though, she was playing SO well this postseason. Day to day isn't exactly positive but it's not the worst thing that could have happened either. Here's hoping she got some really good treatment.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Yea, it tough because the Lynx are just so good. You've got a top 2 point guard in the world, top 5 (probably top 3, honestly) shooting guard, top 3 small forward, top 5 (probably top 3 again) PF, and the best bench in the league. And people think Miami, LA, and OKC are stacked.

That said, Minny has looked vulnerable in it's first two series. January could make Whalen's life tough, both as a defender and as a scorer (particularly since Lindsay is injured), and Indiana has it's two best defenders (hopefully W/ Katie) able to guard Maya and Seimone. So the Fever may actually match up better with Minny than CT did. But it'll still be tough.

Mood

The Fever are off to a good start in game 1 of the WNBA Finals. It's 25-20 Indiana at the end of the 1st quarter. Defense needs to tighten up a bit, but the offensive ball movement looks pretty good. All of the starters have scored.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lookin good so far....gotta keep it up though. Semone Augustus is on a mission.
    Fire up that tank and drive it to the draft

Mood

43-40 Indiana at the half, which is amazing considering how we're getting out rebounded. The rebounding gap has to narrow in the second half.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Keep your foot on their neck ladies. This would be huge to steal one on their floor to open the series.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

After laying down a game like this, Larkins should just strut into Minnesota's locker room, stare them all down, and steal all their lunch money. That's how badly she beat their *** tonight.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

That was one hell of a win. Aside from a portion of the third quarter, the Fever had this game locked down. 1-0, on the road, without Douglas. Very fine start indeed.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to obnoxiousmodesty For This Useful Post:

Mood

Wow. Really impressive. Larkins is awesome. So tough.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

The Fever just played a team that was 18-1 at home this season, and trailed 58-56 after three. They had been up by 10 earlier in the game, and the crowd was going nuts. So what do they do? Outscore them 20-12 in the fourth and walk out with the win.

That's what champions are made of.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

Coach acts like they're stupid for not thinking they'd be able to win.

Sports Logo

Remarkable team win tonight. All the players that we needed to step up in Katie's absence did just that. But we can't get comfortable and let up. We have room for improvement, particularly on the boards. We gave them too many second and third chances. Tamika also struggled with her shot a bit tonight.

We need the same intensity on Wednesday. If we can grab both in Minny? We'd crush their spirits coming into Game 3 in Indy. But we can expect their best punch in Game 2 with their backs against the wall. That said, I have no doubt that this team will weather the punches and deliver their own.

Indy, this is a team to be proud of. When they come home for Game 3 on Friday, that place needs to be packed! Wish I could be there!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kuq_e_Zi91 For This Useful Post:

Not a fan of the fever. But I am proud of them. And its always nice to see a local team win. Good to see Indiana basketball is solid all around.

Really proud of them to steal game 1 on the road. Is this a best of 5 series?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    Not a fan of the fever. But I am proud of them. And its always nice to see a local team win. Good to see Indiana basketball is solid all around.

Really proud of them to steal game 1 on the road. Is this a best of 5 series?
    Yep

Well unless it interferes with a Cards game I will definitely try to watch Game 2.

I wish Game 3 was Saturday instead of Friday. I won't be able to watch Friday and football sectionals may cut into the attendance.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    I wish Game 3 was Saturday instead of Friday. I won't be able to watch Friday and football sectionals may cut into the attendance.
    Yeah, my wife's band has a gig and I have to run sound for it. Hate to miss the game, especially since we already paid for our tickets.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Say what anyone wants about Maya and Seimone and how good they are, but when **** hit the fan in the 4th last night, the player making the most plays out of all the superstars was Catch.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Watching last night's game, you could tell which team came in more disciplined and composed. There have been a few instances where the Fever have complained to the officials but nothing like what the Lynx and Sun have done the last two games. Constantly whining and crying for fouls when they can't score and wanting other violations when they can't get a stop, and their crowds were every bit as whiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Say what anyone wants about Maya and Seimone and how good they are, but when **** hit the fan in the 4th last night, the player making the most plays out of all the superstars was Catch.
    I honestly think Minnesota is so used to not being tested, that they struggle when they are. And it's often Whalen who saves their butts. Had the Storm passed the ball to a wide open Bird instead of a well defended Jackson, it's likely Minnesota would have already been eliminated. Minnesota does not handle gritty, mentally tough, and physically tough, teams well.

I still think though, Minnesota is so talented that this will be a hard series. Still, only one team (Phoenix Mercury vs. Detroit Shock) in WNBA history has gone on to win a WNBA championship after losing the first game of the Finals series. So history is in the Fever's favor.
    Last edited by Sookie; 10-16-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Catch looks like a player who doesn't know how many more chances she is going to have. It's the last thing she needs on her resume. She adds this to everything she has done and IMO she is without a doubt a top 5 women's player and in the conversation for GOAT. Minny is gonna have to really dig deep to beat her I think, especially if Katie can come back and make an impact.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Catch looks like a player who doesn't know how many more chances she is going to have. It's the last thing she needs on her resume. She adds this to everything she has done and IMO she is without a doubt a top 5 women's player and in the conversation for GOAT. Minny is gonna have to really dig deep to beat her I think, especially if Katie can come back and make an impact.
    When she retires, I think they need to name the Defensive Player of the Year award after her. Regardless of whether she ever wins a championship, she'll be considered the best defensive player ever, imo.

The Women's game is a little funny though. It's not like the Men's where really, what's measured is NBA championships, in terms of success. College, international, and the WNBA (and perhaps in that order) are a part of that conversation, currently. Also, women's basketball history is pretty young, but the talent has grown considerably. So people will still list Cooper as top 5 all time, perhaps #1, even though I don't think she'd be nearly as dominant in today's WNBA. But she's still the first superstar the WNBA has ever had. And personally, in terms of GOAT, I think it'll be hard for a player to top Taurasi's ridiculous resume. Still, Tamika is in the conversation, but I'd put her at about the same level of Sue Bird. You could make a case, but it would be unlikely for people to agree with you.
    Last edited by Sookie; 10-16-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Mood

They should definitely name the DPOY award after Tamika, I think there's no question she's the greatest defensive player we've seen in the WNBA. She can guard 2-4 very well and in a pinch she can guard the 1 and 5 as well. She played some great defense on Tina Charles and Kara Lawson in some pivotal possessions in Connecticut. Teams try to swing the ball away from whatever side of the court Tamika is on, it's crazy.

She probably won't be known as the GOAT, partly because defense is undervalued and there are a handful of players with better offensive games - though I think she has certainly earned the right to be in the conversation and has to be in any respectable top 5.

She's my personal GOAT, no doubt about that.

Game 2 should be very interesting. I expect Minnesota to come out with great intensity. It's not a must-win for the Fever, but they need to match that intensity (or come close) and hang with them at least, just to emphasize to the Lynx that this is what the series is going to be like.

Reports are that Katie is progressing better than expected in the past day or so (the day after her injury her whole leg was swollen - she couldn't get a shoe on, let alone tape it up and go play). Might be ready to suit up for Game 3 in Indy.

Mood

Spotted this quote from Augustus today: http://www.wnba.com/games/20121017/INDMIN/gameinfo.html

"I'm hoping we won't lose two in a row,'' Augustus said. ``We've been good at that point, bouncing back in tough-game situations, and this is the perfect example, the perfect time for us to be able to bounce back and go to Indiana and steal one on the road or steal two on the road and pull this championship out."

If I'm her coach I'm a little worried about this mentality, and I'd be telling her to get her head wrapped around the next game, tonight, and nowhere else. You don't dwell on a loss and you also don't project wins two or three games down the line either. She seems to be doing both simultaneously!

Talking about stealing two on the road to clinch a championship when you're down 0-1 after losing at home? I guess you could say it's just confidence, but in the context of the media story line about how Minnesota is supposed to stomp Indiana...I wonder if the Fever feel a bit disrespected after reading that (if they did). I think I would. How can you be talking about becoming a champion when you have yet to win a game in the championship series? It just rubs me the wrong way.

Game on!