Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Indiana Fever Thread

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default 2012 Indiana Fever Thread

A few things to discuss - another female athlete tears her ACL (Shyra Ely-Gash), Fever win their first pre-season game, first home pre-season is on Wednesday.

Go Fever!
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2012 Indiana Fever Thread

I missed the pre-season but have been watching the games. We look pretty good, handling an Atlanta team we've had issues with in the recent past.

Davenport looks improved around the basket, and that is much needed. Looks like Zellous worked on her shot a little - also much needed.

Tamika looks like Tamika, but maybe more offensively assertive. We're getting to the free throw line quite a bit - offense looks a little better than in years past.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Mood

Of course, we go on an epic offensive drought as soon as I posted that.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

3-0 not a bad start. Getting to the point where I can start watching again, so hopefully they stay strong.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

Mood

http://www.wnba.com/news/potw_052912.html

Catch Eastern Conference player of the week.

"
    Catchings paced the Fever in scoring (21.0 ppg), rebounds (7.3), defensive boards (6.0), steals (2.67), and minutes (31.3). In so doing, she also ranked among the Eastern Conference leaders in a variety of categories, including scoring (third), steals (fourth), and rebounding (tied for sixth)."

Liberty defense was a challenge for the Fever at times. The Dunn "stand around" offense may yet come back to bite us if we're not careful.
    BillS

Another swarming defense causes problems for our shaky offense. Anyone know what was up with Erin Phillips not playing - I missed any announcement and as usual the Star is behind.
    BillS

Erin is probably with the rest of the Australian National team. (I assume she's on it.) Lauren Jackson isn't even going to be with the Seattle Storm until after the Olympics.

Granted, that poor team doesn't have a prayer without Penny Taylor (tore her ACL overseas)..they'll actually be lucky to make the Gold Medal game. Sad for Jackson who never got an Olympic Gold Medal, and will be around 34 next olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Erin is probably with the rest of the Australian National team. (I assume she's on it.)
    Yes, she's on it (they said that at the STH party night) - I guess knowing Tamika is bouncing back and forth didn't help it occur to me that Erin would have to be away for longer stretches since you can't just bounce over to Oz.
    BillS

Sports Logo

Tough loss to the Mystics tonight. Probably the worst I've ever seen the Fever play.

They shot poorly and turned the ball over too much, and perhaps worst of all, they let it affect their defense. Even trailing the whole game, the win never felt out of reach, as they did make a late push, but it wasn't enough. The hole they dug themselves early was just too big. Very disappointing display of basketball tonight. No other way to put it.

Good news is we have a game tomorrow night, and after a loss like that to one of the worst teams in the league, a quick turnaround could be just what the doctor ordered to snap this losing streak.

Edit - I just remembered that after the game, Bobbit did an interview in front of the DC fans and she said, "The Fever let me go ... one team's trash is another team's treasure!" She certainly played like she had something to prove tonight.
    Last edited by Kuq_e_Zi91; 06-15-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Mood

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alanagla...-next-chapter/

Nice little write-up on Dunn's place in women's basketball history.

Phoenix got the #1 pick in the draft. Taurasi and Griner will be playing together. Wow.

Mood

I was so disgusted after the game 1 loss to Atlanta. Glad to see the Fever fight back in game 2 in Atlanta. January had a breakout game (I hope).

Phoenix getting the #1 pick - I'm sure anyone following the WNBA has heard the chatter about them tanking. The way it played out is kind of embarrassing for the league.

Oh well. Griner will be an impact player, no doubt about that. She has some skills but her main asset right now is being really, really, tall. I watched the second game in the LAS-SAS series. Candace Parker blocked a shot, triggering a fast break where she took the ball the length of the court, dribbled behind her back to evade a converging double-team, then dropped a dime to a teammate cutting to the basket. A few plays later she had a nifty up and under move on the block and a few plays after that she drained a three. I realized I don't think I'd trade that versatility, that excellence in all areas, for what Griner brings. Which is not to say I wouldn't love to have her on the Fever. It just seems that lots of people think Griner is just going to come in and dominate the league. I think she's stepping into a world with a lot more talent and basketball IQ than the NCAA on the whole. I don't think the W is hers on a silver platter.

Minnesota had a hiccup, but I expect they'll close out their series so that I can try and get tickets for the Sparks-Lynx Western Conference Finals series. Should be a really good one!

January (And Erin) were fantastic. Not sure who I want to win that series, I'll be honest. I like all the remaining Eastern Conference teams. Obviously I'm rooting for Connecticut, I'd love to see Catch get a well deserved ring, and Atlanta, I feel like has the best chance of keeping a series with Minny competitive. (And might be the best basketball the league could put on display.) Lindsey Harding has been incredible herself.

Phoenix getting the #1 pick. I think Taurasi was legitimately injured the first half of the season and wanted to be healthy for the Olympics. And obviously they had Taylor out with the ACL. Dupree and Houston needed surgery. The second half of the season, I think there was just no point in playing Taurasi. I would have made that decision too, especially with the potential rewards. I also think it's better for the WNBA that she's on a team like Phoenix. (Granted, I, as a Phoenix fan, would feel that way. :P)

Which leads to Griner. I have to disagree there. Sure, Griner isn't as versatile as Parker, but I don't really need my center to bring the ball up the floor. She's actually quite coordinated, she's expanded her range..and yea..she's really tall. I personally wouldn't trade her for anyone in the league. Not Catchings, not Taurasi, not Parker etc... I saw all I needed to know about Griner, when I watched Bria Hartley (Uconn All American) drive to the basket, look up, and then run back out to the perimeter where she decided she was just going to take three pointers that game. (And Griner ended up blocking her at some point. Bria was shooting a 3, Griner started at the free throw line.) She's just so much bigger than everyone else that it's hard to play against. And she's gotten SO much better since her freshman season.

Yea, I expect Minny to take the series. Hard for me to watch Bird though. She's the reason why I'm a basketball fan in the first place..and its rough to start to see the writing on the wall. She's getting older..getting more injury prone. One of the most clutch players I've ever seen, even when she's limping..But still kinda sad.
    Last edited by Sookie; 10-01-2012 at 07:51 PM.

We were out of town Friday, seems that was the right game to miss.

In general, the Fever are very susceptible to defensive pressure. If the outside jumpers aren't falling then they can be taken completely apart by denying them the paint, because they really have no one who can bull through defenders. They have finesse players who can often make awkward shots, but again, those aren't any kind of weapon to depend upon.
    BillS

Little birdie told me Area 55 and G2 Zone are going to be behind the Atlanta bench tonight. May god have mercy on their souls.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

January just took a pivotal offense foul with under 3 minutes left. Woo!

Larkins has 20 freaking rebounds and 16 points despite several Dream players trying to rip her arms off (foul on Larkins one of those times - hahaha). She should have been starting over Sutton-Brown awhile ago.

Sooo satisfying to beat Atlanta. They've had our number so often in the last couple of years.

Final: 75-64 Indiana. Would have been a lot more had we not turned it over so many times.
    Last edited by gummy; 10-02-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Sports Logo

Larkins has been unreal! She was a little rusty to start the season, which is understandable considering she had been out of the league for 2 years. She played in Turkey, but that's hardly the same thing. She put in some serious work during that Olympic break and she came back an absolute monster in the paint. She's making turnaround jumpers and post moves that she didn't have enough confidence to even attempt earlier in the season. What a find.

Tamika's will to win just makes you fall in love with her. She got hit across the face, bloodied and just kept coming back to frustrate the Dream. The emergence of the supporting cast lets her dial it up even more on the defensive end and on the boards. I definitely like the sound of 'The Tamika Catchings Defensive Player of the Year Award' that Chris and Debbie proposed. Well deserved.

Bring on the Sun. Looking forward to seeing how Larkins does against Charles.

Congrats to Indy! January and Larkins were great, January really had a fantastic series. Angel is...a blessing and a curse. She's got all the positives..and flaws..of a young Kobe Bryant. Except she's more emotional. haha.

Also, nice to see Frank there. I got a little excited when I saw him on the tv. :P

Now to watch the old ladies vs. team all star. (Honestly, if the Lynx lose they should be ashamed of themselves.)

Sports Logo

Congrats to Indy! January and Larkins were great, January really had a fantastic series. Angel is...a blessing and a curse. She's got all the positives..and flaws..of a young Kobe Bryant. Except she's more emotional. haha.

Also, nice to see Frank there. I got a little excited when I saw him on the tv. :P

Now to watch the old ladies vs. team all star. (Honestly, if the Lynx lose they should be ashamed of themselves.)
    Angel reminds me of LeBron the way she carries herself with a sense of entitlement, except she's got the short fuse of a Stephen Jackson. It's like the worst of both worlds. She's a good player, but her issues make me glad we don't have to deal with her.

Nice to see Danny and West were there as well!

Whalen's injury hurts, but the Lynx still have more than enough to get past the Storm. Still, can't help but root for Sue Bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post
    And Lance, and Paul George and George Hill....

Also giving Area 55 and G2 maracas behind the Atlanta bench is evil.... I LOVE IT!
    Last edited by Sandman21; 10-02-2012 at 09:54 PM.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post

Also giving Area 55 and G2 maracas behind the Atlanta bench is evil.... I LOVE IT!
    I hope Angel McPoutry enjoyed them.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post
    Angel reminds me of LeBron the way she carries herself with a sense of entitlement, except she's got the short fuse of a Stephen Jackson. It's like the worst of both worlds. She's a good player, but her issues make me glad we don't have to deal with her.

Whalen's injury hurts, but the Lynx still have more than enough to get past the Storm. Still, can't help but root for Sue Bird.
    Yea, she does have that. She's got a lot of not so great for your teammates to deal with personality traits. Funny though, I still like her.

Whalen's injury shouldn't be anything compared to the Storm's, with both Lauren and Sue injured.

Sue, yea I'm completely rooting for Sue.

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    I hope Angel McPoutry enjoyed them.
    As well as the ANNNGELLLLL calls MUHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Yea, she does have that. She's got a lot of not so great for your teammates to deal with personality traits. Funny though, I still like her.

Whalen's injury shouldn't be anything compared to the Storm's, with both Lauren and Sue injured.

Sue, yea I'm completely rooting for Sue.
    I like her too, despite it all - as long as she isn't playing the Fever.

Rooting for Sue and Seattle - could they actually take this?!?