Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Round 1 Game 3 2012 Playoffs

Default Odd Thoughts: Round 1 Game 3 2012 Playoffs

I know itís probably wrong of me but I will probably go to my grave blaming the game one loss on Danny Granger deciding to take a week off at the end of the season to ďrestĒ his knee. He had a killer month of April from the field and sitting out two games I think threw off his shooting rhythm. I have no proof mind you but thatís just my feeling.

Speaking of Danny I have a feeling that Orlando got saved by the bell so to speak when time basically ran out in the first quarter because Quentin Richardson was being a little to cute in his celebration to Danny being called for a travel and Danny did not take to kindly to his over exaggeration of the traveling motion. Danny is one of those very rare players that actually plays better, much better in fact, when he is mad. Donít believe me, just ask Kevin Love. The very next play down the Magic missed a shot and Danny jumped just a little higher than he had previously and was talking with Richardson as he was coming down the court. I have a feeling that had there been much more time Danny would have run off some shots, but as it was time expired and Danny calmed down at the half.

Look I get that Orlando has a right to be proud of their game one win and they can be proud that they competed for half of game 2, but at some point in time their celebrations become a little juvenile and well frankly Derrick Rose nor myself will ever forget Big Babyís high stepping dance after his fade away.

Also this series has just reaffirmed what I have always suspected, Ryan Anderson is a turd. I am sure that Satan and Saloon Door have a lot to do with this but as you can imagine I hate ďstretch fourís with the passion of a white hot son. In fact I hate even saying or typing it. I hate Steve Novak that most but a very close second is Anderson and as I have always suspected if you take away Dwight Howard who you have to double and triple team he canít create his own offense. I really enjoyed the fact that both Frank Vogel & Stan Van Gundy trashed him in their post game press conference. I just hope that the Magic reward him with a big fat contract that eats up their salary cap for years and then Howard splits on them.

While Iím being petty can I admit something? I hate that stupid announcer that the Magic have in their arena. I have hated him for over 20 years and having to listen to his stupid yelling of Shaquiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE OíNealllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll. I know itís wrong of me but I just want him to get a case of crabs from a toilet seat or something.

Have you noticed a trend here? Iím not really talking about our team or the game all that much. The reason is pretty simple; the boys took care of business.

Vogel has been superb in this series so far because he has mixed and matched and adjusted and re-adjusted. Van Gundy (who I donít like) has done a very admirable job trying to do anything to keep his team in this but for the past 6 quarters they have just simply been overmatched and the one real weapon they have (Davis) I think is starting to wear down from all of the min. he has played.
    Iím not sure really who was our best player tonight really. I know that the trend is to say that Hibbert was the best and he certainly had a good game but Danny was good and George Hill was very good as well.

Whatís funny is that even though Danny had decent stats and actually shot well from the field I still donít think that he had that great of a game.

Speaking of not having a good game and Iím still waiting on him to have a good game, Leandro Barbosa still is getting significant min. and still not really producing much. I mean 5 points from him in 23 min. is slightly less than I think most of us expected. Not sure if itís the ankle or the style of play but we are still waiting on his breakout game.

Not much really to talk about with this game so letís just get right to grades.

David West: C The Magic went way out of their way to make sure that David didnít have any easy looks at the basket. Unfortunately for them as Frank likes to say we have two horses (meaning Roy) and when they covered David the team just shifted to Roy and didnít miss a beat. David was still working down low though and got some rebounds and in general did a great job of being an active decoy all night long.

Danny Granger: A Hit his shots, grabbed some rebounds, defended his man. Pretty much what you would want from Danny. Even saying that though I still feel as though Danny has not turned it up to the next notch yet. He did have too many turnovers tonight but he also had the ball a lot. I think if nothing else people should really be happy with Danny being a willing passer (except whenever he is on a fast break which he is just generally horrid at) and while he isnít getting the assist he often is the pass that leads to the pass that is the assist.

Roy Hibbert: A Man in the middle. He saw Ryan Anderson and his eyes lit up. Also he put a little extra mustard on that dunk over Davis because I have a feeling he was a little tired of his antics on the floor. Didnít get a great number of blocks tonight but he has established himself as a defensive presence enough now that he is affecting several shots by the Magic.

Paul George: B+ Birthday boy gave us all a couple of presents tonight. He actually attacked the rim and got to the line. There are just so many times that I think he tries to hard to either shy away from contact or frankly be a little to cute with his scoop layups, but tonight he just went right at the rim and got to the line 7 times. Drawing fouls helps so much because not only do you get to the line but you make them one foul closer to being in the penalty and one of their players being sent to the bench in foul trouble. He once again had a very good overall rounded game.

George Hill: B+ Since game one his defense on Nelson has for the most part been outstanding. Heís pretty much kept in front of him and has taken away any type of airspace when he goes for a jumper. Itís just the nature of our offense that does not allow for a lot of assists so judging him based on those stats you would think he was a miserable failure but if you did you would be wrong. Very important cog in our machine.

Leandro Barbosa: C- Not really sure what to make of his play to be honest with you. Normally his defense is surprisingly good but so far in this series itís just been adequate and it was barely that tonight. Still canít hit a shot. Iím hoping he breaks out on Saturday.

Darren Collison: A- Good shooting night, decent defense and had yet another breakaway dunk. Really pretty much all you can ask from a backup point guard. Iíll say this, if he had been playing defense like this all season long he would not have had to worry about losing his starting point guard spot.

Tyler Hansbrough: B Nothing spectacular really, just good solid defense and he actually did grab some rebounds tonight. Limited play limited his production but when he was on the floor he did what you would hope he would do.

Lou Amundson: C Not really much to judge him on.

Ok, Iím not reviewing the players who played when the game was decided. Just assume that each of them did well enough to get passing grades and go from there.

Weíve done our job. We now have home court back and right now we have the momentum in this series. I just wish we played Friday instead of Saturday because I have a feeling that Davis in particular is fatigued but so are many of their players.

Frank has really impressed me by learning each game. He has limited the bench play and he is not letting them as a group not produce before he subs them out. I really like the fact that he isnít subbing in and out 3-4 players at a time.

Couple of days of rest and letís get right back on them and not give them any room to breath.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Round 1 Game 3 2012 Playoffs

Told you you were overreacting

On a more substantive note, my favorite part of Paul's game is his rebounding. Wow. He does not shy away from the glass. He's already one of the top two or three rebounding guards in the league. Having one of these around (like Romdo) just makes everything so much easier.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Speaking of not having a good game and I’m still waiting on him to have a good game, Leandro Barbosa still is getting significant min. and still not really producing much. I mean 5 points from him in 23 min. is slightly less than I think most of us expected. Not sure if it’s the ankle or the style of play but we are still waiting on his breakout game.
    I went and looked at Barbosa's playoff history, and every season there is a drop off in his shooting percentage in the playoffs compared to the regular season, and he has only shot better than .420 once in the post season. Right now this is his worst playoffs when it comes to shooting by .010, so it isn't far fetched that he improves, but if the pattern holds I wouldn't expect a big improvement over the course of the playoffs.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I, too, hate their announcer. I can still hear him from game 7 of the ECF when it seemed like they hit every three they shot.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Barbosa is cold right now. But he has the ability to heat up.

Dahntay can't do what Barbosa can potentially do. If we get to Miami, we're going to need some serious boosts. If Barbosa can get really hot for two or three games, it could make the difference.

ďPeople talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but heís really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.Ē óLarry Brown

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Different tenor to Odd Thoughts, I like it. I couldn't agree more on Novak, Anderson, and Saloon door.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought Novak was a wing?

I think giving David West a C is way too low. I'd give him an A-. I know he didn't shoot well at all, but his value last night was huge. Again and again the Pacers ran a pick and roll involving West and almost every time the Magic trapped him so West had to make passes out of the double and he made some really sweet passes. Just his presense on the floor last night was a difference maker. I felt his impact - his positive impact throughout the game and I was shocked to see his final stat line. He at the very least "helped" set the tone. Beyond all of that his play in the first two games allowed Roy to get going tonoight as the magic geared their whole defense to stopping West.

Yeah, I wish game #4 was Friday, the Magic are tired, the extra day before each of the poaaible three games will help the Magic a lot.

I'd give the pacers coaching staff and I do mean the whole coaching staff an A+ through 3 games.

The defensive game plan is perfect (doesn't mean the players always execute it perfectly). Stopping the threes, not just challenging the shoots, but running them off the threes, has been the perfect approach. Stay with the three point shooters - don't just challenge the shots, run them off the line, make them put it on the floor.

Defend with pick and roll with 2 players (it took the players a game or a game and a half to get this down), but the approach is perfect. Don't help off the three point shooters, don't trap the pick and roll, don't put your defense into help and recover mode. This is why Big Baby is having a good offensive series - He is going to get some open shots.

Funnel drivers into Roy - stay with the three point shooters, don't let Ryan Anderson get going. Let Roy clean up anything in the paint - sure this will allow Big Baby to get some open shots - but he won't beat us. The only way the magic can beat us is hitting 10-15 threes per game.

In a phrase the pacers plan is don't leave the three point shooters, don't worry if Big baby gets going, and if any of the magic players get into the lae, don't over-help - let roy block and or change the shot.

Perfect gameplan.

That is why I love the playoff format of playing a team in a series. if you only played one game and moved on to the next opponent, the ability to play a very different style of defense than they normally do would not be possible. Keep in mind if the pacers can win this series - the Pacers will have to completely change their defensive gameplan against the Heat. Much more help, early help, stopping the ball, making the heat take outside shots - exact opposite of defending the Magic
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 05-03-2012 at 08:34 AM.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

This series ends on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This series ends on Tuesday.

Yes if the pacers defense sticks to the gameplan and plays with the intensity needed.

I'd be shocked though if game #4 wasn't close. - Magic will play miuch better

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

It's hard to believe Game One was from the same series.

Have to say, if we continue to play well and end up winning the series against a veteran Magic team that gave us serious problems for a while, it would be much more beneficial for the players than pummeling a disjointed group of players in an uncompetitive sweep - which was what a lot of people were expecting from this series. The Pacers were actually outplayed by a very determined and well coached team at the start of the series, and were having a tough time coping with the expectations of being the favorites. They seem to have overcome this mental barrier and winning the series in this fashion would be huge for their growth as a team.

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

David West was the primary reason that everything else worked. His offensive presence created the space that allowed Roy and the rest of the Pacers to do what they do and get away with it against the tired Magic.

West is easily the MVP for the Pacers this series. George Hill has had a very good series and has taken what has been given to him.

The Magic will not simply roll over. They will adjust and likely try to pack the paint as much as possible defensively in hopes that our offense stagnates and that we shoot ourselves out of the game from the perimeter. They also are likely to increase the tempo to beat our defense down the floor just like the pre-smashmouth Pacers did, and hope that the response from the Pacers will be to run with them, too. If the Pacers fall for it, the series will be 2-2.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Itís just the nature of our offense that does not allow for a lot of assists so judging him based on those stats you would think he was a miserable failure but if you did you would be wrong.
    Thank you

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    It's hard to believe Game One was from the same series.
    Agreed. I don't want to say this one's over, but has there ever been a team who's won a series after losing by 30 points?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Barbosa is cold right now. But he has the ability to heat up.

Dahntay can't do what Barbosa can potentially do. If we get to Miami, we're going to need some serious boosts. If Barbosa can get really hot for two or three games, it could make the difference.
    This is one big thing people here don't understand, Barbosa has the potential to go for 30 points, even if he is not scoring he needs to be guarded while nobody really cares to guard DJ, not only that but Barbosa moves the ball around and the dropoff from DJ to Barbosa on D is not that big either.

Banned

By the way it looks like Peck hates a lot of things

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    By the way it looks like Peck hates a lot of things
    Peck is really Silky Johnson.

Attached Images Attached Images

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post

The Magic will not simply roll over. They will adjust and likely try to pack the paint as much as possible defensively in hopes that our offense stagnates and that we shoot ourselves out of the game from the perimeter. They also are likely to increase the tempo to beat our defense down the floor just like the pre-smashmouth Pacers did, and hope that the response from the Pacers will be to run with them, too. If the Pacers fall for it, the series will be 2-2.
    This series is over. They can't increase the tempo with the team they have, they can try but I don't think they want to do so against us. We can, will, and have outrun them so far anytime they have tried speeding up the tempo. Also notice last night that they had zero fast break points.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Agreed. I don't want to say this one's over, but has there ever been a team who's won a series after losing by 30 points?
    The first one that comes to mind is the 1985 Finals. Boston beat the Lakers 148-114 in game one, then the Lakers won four of the next five games.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    We won by 23 not 30. In the 2000 playoffs alone we lost by 21 to the 76ers in the semifinals and won the series and in the finals won by 33 in a game but lost the series to the Lakers...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Peck is really Silky Johnson.

Peck's a Time Hater?!

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Something I was thinking about and I think it has been brought up before but I can't remember the exact title of the thread, but at what point does this season become a success? I think as far as the regular season goes has been an overwhelming success not even the most optimistic of us would have dreamed we would have been the 3rd seed in the playoffs. However, I think a lot of us have raised expectations of what we want to accomplish this season along with the teams major improvement this year. I think a lot of us are tired of any sort of accomplishment we have gets swept under the rug and really want the team to be thought of as a team to be reckoned with to consider this year an overall success. I think we obviously need to continue to stomp on the Magic and close it out in 5 and then at least be competitive with the Heat, I like that series cause honestly all the expectations shift to them and we have nothing to lose and everything to gain in that series. I just hope we don't completely fold and get swept out in the second round, and hopefully the Knicks can win just ONE game so that the Heat aren't just sitting around in Miami waiting for us and getting all rested up.

I think it is much easier for DC to come in and play high intensity defense for 20 minutes versus playing 35 minutes as a starter and allowing the other team to game plan for him. I've always said his defense would never be a problem coming off the bench. As he gets more and more comfortable I can really see DC turning into a big time bench player. I'd always hoped he'd be our irrational confidence guy.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post: