Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 5/2/2012 NBA Playoffs, First Round - Game Thread #3: Pacers Vs. Magic

streets ahead

Default 5/2/2012 NBA Playoffs, First Round - Game Thread #3: Pacers Vs. Magic

DESTROY THE DISNEYS!
    Not a Redickulous Thought...

-VS-

Game Time Start: 7:30 PM EST
    Where: Amway Center, Orlando, FL
    Officials: D. Crawford, B. Adams, B. Spooner, M. Lindsay

Media Notes: Indiana Notes, Orlando Notes
    Television: NBATV, FSI
    Local Radio: WIBC 93.1 FM
    NBA Feeds:

REMINDER: Per PD policy, please do not share a link to, describe how to search for, request a link to, or request a PM about streaming video of a NBA game that is not coming directly through the NBA. Not even in a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge, know-what-I-mean" round-about sort of way. Thank you

Series & Season Records:
    43-25
    Away: 19-14
    38-30
    Home: 21-12
    Upcoming Games:
    May 5
    May 8
    May 11
    May 13
    at
    vs
    NBATV
    at
    vs
    2:00 pm
    7:30 pm
    If Necessary
    If Necessary

Projected Starting Lineup:
    C
    PF
    SF
    SG
    PG
    HIBBERT
    WEST
    GRANGER
    GEORGE
    HILL
    Projected Starting Lineup:
    C
    PF
    SF
    SG
    PG
    DAVIS
    ANDERSON
    TURKOGLU
    RICHARDSON
    NELSON

Pacers
    Leandro Barbosa, sprained ankle, probable
    Darren Collison, sore groin, probable

Magic
    Glen Davis, sprained ankle, probable
    Dwight Howard, herniated disc, out

Eight Points, Nine Seconds Preview Review:
    Jared Wade: Countermoves, Chin Checks and the Lessons of Chessboxing

The onslaught reached force in the third quarter, when — for the first time — this series
    felt like the mismatch that most experts had predicted. The Pacers did jump out on the
    Magic early as well in game two last night, busing out the gates to quickly build a 20-10
    lead, but like in Game One, that early scoring flurry was soon erased, and Indiana once
    again looked like a team that was going to allow Orlando to dictate the tempo.

Way more troubling than that initial recovery, however, was the fact that their opponent,
    led by the vertically challenged Glen Davis, was punishing the Pacers front court. It
    became Big Baby’s game; Indiana was just along for the ride.

In the NBA, much is made about energy levels, aggressiveness and imposing physicality.
    Sometimes this is just cliched rubbish spun by hack writers who spent more of the game
    feverishly writing a post-game report pre-buzzer than truly paying attention. After all, it
    is really easy to just throw out overarching generalities (“TMac was never great; he
    couldn’t make it to the second round”) and be accurate without being correct.

But in this case, it’s the only way to explain what actually happened. The Magic, in the
    second quarter, wanted it more.

After falling down early, the Magic simply decided to be tougher than the Pacers. It led
    to them being able to do whatever they wanted. Jameer Nelson dribbled around freely,
    Davis was the largest presence on the court. Even NBA nobodies Chris Duhon and Earl
    Clark were making Indiana’s look like the ones who are fringe pros at best. And it
    wasn’t even so much that Orlando was running any great sets or converting buckets
    at an impressive rate. But they were able to get enough second-chance points to
    supersede the fact that the offensive execution was subpar. It was clear why: the
    Pacers were intimidated and became indecisive, passive and reactionary. Every Pacer
    fan watching must have been thinking the same thing: “Indiana isn’t making the
    second round.” It was that one-sided from an aggression standpoint.

Then a funny thing happened...CONTINUE READING AT 8p9s

Magic Basketball
    Orlando searching for answers on offense

By now you’ve heard. The third quarter of last night’s game between the Pacers and
    Magic seems to have been the series turning point for Indiana. Down a bucket at the
    half, the Pacers came out in the third and cold-cocked the Magic to the tune of a 30-13
    quarter that provided the final margin of victory.

The question going forward is exactly what to make of that run. Was it an outlier or a
    harbinger? Was it a case of regression - the Pacers just starting to perform how we
    figured they always would - or was it a case of the Pacers playing exceptionally?

To my eye, there were four reasons the Pacers came alive in the third: 1.) they
    mauled the Magic on the glass, 2.) they converted at the line, 3.) they snuffed out
    most of Orlando’s initial actions on pick-and-rolls, and 4.) George Hill began once
    more to resemble a professional basketball player. Of these, we’ll ignore Hill’s
    resurfacing, for the simple reason that I have no idea whether he will again net 16
    points on 8 shots, as he had at the end of last night’s third quarter.

I’ll focus first on the fouls and the rebounding, because they’re really two sides of
    the same coin. I hate to point this out, but the Pacers only shot 28 free throws last
    night, which is a totally reasonable figure for a team playing with the sort of
    interior advantage the Pacers have. Even though, at times, during the third quarter
    it seemed there was a whistle on every play, the Magic really can’t argue with a
    28-19 free throw disparity in favor of Indiana given the stylistic and personnel
    differences. The rebounding? Stay with me, because this is where things get grim.

Look, the Pacers are going to outrebound the Magic. Even in Game 1, Indiana was
    +5 on the boards. The Pacers are a strong rebounding outfit no matter how you
    slice it — a top-five team in raw per-game rebounding and in offensive rebound
    percentage. However, they simply bludgeoned Orlando on the offensive glass last
    night, corralling 37.5 percent of their own misses. While this seems like a shocking
    figure, nearly 8 percentage points above Indiana’s season average, when you
    consider the fact that Indiana’s offensive rebound percentage in the Magic’s Game
    1 win was 30.6 percent, it’s hard to come to the conclusion the Magic will remedy
    this situation...CONTINUE READING AT MAGIC BASKETBALL

140 Characters of (Non-PD) Coverage
    Pacers
    Mike Wells @MikeWellsNBA
    Jared Wade @8pts9secs
    Tim Donahue @TimDonahue8p9s
    Tom Lewis @indycornrows
    Ian Levy @HickoryHigh
    Magic
    Orlando Sentinel @joshuabrobbins
    Magic Basketball @erivera7
    Orlando Pinstripe Post @BQRMagic

Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 05-02-2012 at 07:45 PM.
    This is the darkest timeline.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 5/2/2012 NBA Playoffs, First Round - Game Thread #3: Pacers Vs. Magic

Play with the same focus and intensity that we showed in Game 2's 3rd quarter and the rest will take care of itself.

Personally though the biggest boon will be Frank never going to the platoon substitutions in the first place, our starters always jump out to an early lead, and we switch out 3 or 4 guys at once and kill all of our momentum. Perhaps this time around we can dominate from start to finish with a substitution pattern that allows us to maintain momentum better.

Or Danny Granger could play remotely close to the level he played Post ASB and nothing else will likely matter for the purposes of winning this series. In alot of ways the captain is the Belleweather, we look like an elite team when he scores the ball efficiently and at a high rate.

Default Re: 5/2/2012 NBA Playoffs, First Round - Game Thread #3: Pacers Vs. Magic

Hey, is this game on FSI? On my Xfinity listings it has the Cubs game........

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hey, is this game on FSI? On my Xfinity listings it has the Cubs game........
    Shows pacers game for me... Brighthouse.

billbradley

Duhon dancing...

please destroy this team

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I really hope that Vogel at least dresses Fesenko. I would at least like to know that the option is there to go to him if we start getting pushed around the paint.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Put the hammer down!

Quote Originally Posted by Coupe View Post
    Shows pacers game for me... Brighthouse.
    Yeah, Comcast sucks they are showing the Cubs game.

I think this game decides how this is gonna go for the rest of the series. Who ever wins tonight the other team has a crazy amount of pressure them to win game 4.

All of the must-win game talk in January and Feb doesn't seem to make much sense now.

The Pacers really have to hit 3s at a good clip at some point, it's be nice if it was tonight.

A win here is huge. Puts us in a great position to take the series.

I'm expecting Orlando to come out hot. Need to weather the storm and be poised for our trademark 3rd quarter run.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We've got this.

Why does the thanks stat show up below our names? Not sure I like that. It's whatevs though.

Go Pacers!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TOP For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I really hope that Vogel at least dresses Fesenko. I would at least like to know that the option is there to go to him if we start getting pushed around the paint.
    Yes. Oh please, this.

I think that Frank has realized the problems in our second unit. Bad shooting will fix itself but our back up bigs will not suddenly get taller and longer than Clark. At least, dress Fesenko and consider him as an option.

That said, just pound it inside and let's hope that we're able to pull this off.

I don't think that I'll post as many emotes in this thread as for some reason the new software does not react when I'm trying to put emotes in my posts and frankly I don't want to write e all night long just so it shows it (since I cannot click on it).

But that's irrelevant. Take the W and I'll be happy.

Leggooooooooooooo!!!

Mood

LMAO! this was just posted by the Pacers on twitter
    The Pacers training staff is taking injury prevention to a whole new level

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Coupe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Yes. Oh please, this.

I think that Frank has realized the problems in our second unit. Bad shooting will fix itself but our back up bigs will not suddenly get taller and longer than Clark. At least, dress Fesenko and consider him as an option.

That said, just pound it inside and let's hope that we're able to pull this off.

I don't think that I'll post as many emotes in this thread as for some reason the new software does not react when I'm trying to put emotes in my posts and frankly I don't want to write e all night long just so it shows it (since I cannot click on it).

But that's irrelevant. Take the W and I'll be happy.

Leggooooooooooooo!!!
    If Hansbrough or Amundson isn't doing the job inside the paint....then at least put in Pendegraph to see if it makes any difference. We have a big frontcourt and don't understand why we don't use some of it.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Rofl

I think we really need to win 3 of the next 5 games if we want to advance to the next round. That's just one man's opinion.

10 minutes

Mood

WEALL
    WEGOT

how touching...lol

LETS DO THIS!! GO PACERS!!

Mood

I logged onto my Linux distro so i could refresh faster, what a nerd. 3.6Ghz quad core and 8 gig of ram on linux.. 'overkill'

Winning in the playoffs is 85% inspiration and 2% perspiration, or whatever.

Saw this:

Josh Robbins ‏ @JoshuaBRobbins
    The #Pacers chose to begin the game on the opposite end of the court than visiting teams usually choose. A mindgame?
    I didn't realize teams had a choice.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to RandyWrinkles For This Useful Post:

10% Luck
    20% Skill
    15% concentrated power of will
    5% pleasure
    50% fame
    and 100% reason to remember the name

GO PACERS!

Quote Originally Posted by AG77 View Post
    Saw this:

I didn't realize teams had a choice.

Pacers always choose the opposite side, and other people always think it's mindgames.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post: