Thread: NFL bans four Saints: VILMA for year

Hybrid View

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default NFL bans four Saints: VILMA for year

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/78...s-bounty-roles

The NFL suspended four players Wednesday for their roles in the New Orleans Saints' bounty system, including linebacker Jonathan Vilma for the entire 2012 season.

In addition to Vilma, defensive tackle Anthony Hargrove (now with the Green Bay Packers) was suspended eight games, defensive Will Smith four games and linebacker Scott Fujita (now with the Cleveland Browns) three games.

All of the suspensions are without pay.

All four player suspensions will be appealed, according to NFL source who told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, "get ready for a massive multiple legal battle over this on several fronts."

The NFL Players Association released a statement Wednesday afternoon saying it still hasn't received "any detailed or specific evidence from the league of these specific players' involvement in an alleged pay-to-injure program."

"We have made it clear that punishment without evidence is not fair. We have spoken with our players and their representatives and we will vigorously protect and pursue all options on their behalf," the NFLPA said.

Default Re: NFL bans four Saints: VILMA for year

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/78...s-bounty-roles

The NFL suspended four players Wednesday for their roles in the New Orleans Saints' bounty system, including linebacker Jonathan Vilma for the entire 2012 season.

In addition to Vilma, defensive tackle Anthony Hargrove (now with the Green Bay Packers) was suspended eight games, defensive Will Smith four games and linebacker Scott Fujita (now with the Cleveland Browns) three games.

All of the suspensions are without pay.

All four player suspensions will be appealed, according to NFL source who told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, "get ready for a massive multiple legal battle over this on several fronts."

The NFL Players Association released a statement Wednesday afternoon saying it still hasn't received "any detailed or specific evidence from the league of these specific players' involvement in an alleged pay-to-injure program."

"We have made it clear that punishment without evidence is not fair. We have spoken with our players and their representatives and we will vigorously protect and pursue all options on their behalf," the NFLPA said.
    Hard to believe he is banned for an entire year. I think half the season would have been more appropriate given the short shelf-life of NFL careers in general (I know you could say this to the people Vilma injured, but football is a physical sport regardless).

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Hard to believe he is banned for an entire year. I think half the season would have been more appropriate given the short shelf-life of NFL careers in general (I know you could say this to the people Vilma injured, but football is a physical sport regardless).
    I'm glad to see it. Personally, I would like to see the head coaches and GMs banned for a full year also. I don't care whether they knew about it or no, they are directly responsible for oversight within their own programs.

Make a huge example out of transgressions like these and I'd be willing to bet it is not going to happen again. It would also serve too discourage any other serious violation as well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You do the crime, you pay the time.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ownagedood For This Useful Post:

What about the short shelf life of the guys like Favre when he offered 10,000 to any player who could knock Favre out of their playoff game??

It's one thing to follow orders, but to offer money to injure other players yourself is something else

IMO that is why he got the full year, and I have no problem with any of the suspensions

8. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Vilma should be gone for life.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

FWIW, from Extreme Skins

Quote Originally Posted by pherein View Post
    Brees, greer, and other players have asked the NFL for any evidence to support SP suspension, and that any payer was paid. They have never even responded to it, and only tried to contact 4 Saints players. The NFLPA instructed the 4 players not to talk to the NFL.

Vilma suspension is to harsh , as some have said:

New Orleans Saints, other players react to suspensions - New Orleans Saints Football NFL News - NOLA.com

Im very aware of what Godell is doing by covering the NFL's butt legally. But seeing as the Panthers, Bills, and others have admitted to the same player supported bounty program, after the Saints became a big deal. You would think the NFL, who knew this was going on as far as 2006 when they investigated GB, and found they had one in place, would not be so harsh.
    This has something to do with player safety and/or the legal ramifications of not finding a scapegoat to show they are Now actively pursuing pay for play, and player supported bounties .
    But this mostly is about goodell thinking he was lied to, and that the Saints as an organization ignored him .

Vilma released the following statement through a lawyer: Im pretty sure Vilma is going to sue in civil court. Where Godell will be forced to supply evidence.
    http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.T6GqYe3i-pE

Through the NFLPA, New Orleans Saints defensive end Will Smith released the following statement on his suspension today imposed by commissioner Roger Goodell. Smith is suspended without pay for the first four games of the 2012 regular season.
    "

Ed Werder was just on SportsCenter.

Sweet
    http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...ould_gain.html

NFLPA issues a statement on the New Orleans Saints punishments
    http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...ent_on_th.html

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What kills me is some of the reaction from the players. I saw Mathis tweet about it and I just shook my head.

These players were suspended not because they put some big hit on players. They were suspended because they were putting bounties out on players. Yet here is Mathis sounding like an idiot for saying "I disagree w/ suspending the players.if u don't do what coaches say then u get replaced by sum1 who will attempt a career assassination on U." Where does the evidence say the coaches forced Vilma and the rest to put up money on Kurt Warner and Brett Favre?