Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NFL.com on the Colts Draft

Default Re: NFL.com on the Colts Draft

Lost in this discussion is any discussion on the odds that Manning is ever 100% again and what the injuries and surgeries might've done to his game. Also, connected to that and factoring in his age, how many more years does Manning have left?

I wonder what the Broncos would've done if they had the 1st pick this season while Manning was available on the open market? Would they still have signed Manning or would they have chosen Luck?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Manning was 100% long before Irsay decided to let him go. He was throwing with zip and velocity in December according to Bill Polian. All of his receivers that worked with him said he was as good as ever. Stokely has been working with him in Denver and he sees the same QB he saw here in Indy. The Broncos might have signed Manning and taken Luck but I doubt it. They feel like they are ready to win right now so a rookie QB isn't what they wanted. They got a good prospect to develop in the second round who might turn out to be the best QB in the entire draft five years from now. I think Peyton has four good years left and probably more than that. This injury is completely healed and he is in no greater danger than any other NFL player of injuring that again. By the time summer workouts start, Peyton will be just like always. He hasn't taken a lot of hard hits in his career compared to other QBs. I think he plays for as long as he feels like playing....

thanks, Archie

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The meter is pegged again..... The Colts did resign Mathis although I do not know why. If they had not resigned Reggie Wayne, they could have resigned either Tamme or Garcon`
    So you concede that they couldn't resign both Tamme and Garcon?

You didn't even realize that Brackett doesn't save you squat this year so I think your plan is based in fantasy and not reality.

Do you even know how the Colts got the money to sign Mathis, Wayne and all the new additions via FA? I'll give you a hint.. IT had very little to do with letting go of Clark, Saturday, Addai or Brackett.

Manning was 100% long before Irsay decided to let him go.

That's not true at all. Even Manning himself admitted that he still wasn't 100% when he signed with Denver.

Has he made significant strides in his recovery? Definitely. Is he going to play in 2012? Clearly. But was he 100% when the Colts released him, as you say? Absolutely not.

Look at Manning's comments after he signed with Denver:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...now/53674436/1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manning still isn't 100% but is encouraged by the progress of his rehab and maintains that he could play if there were a game on Sunday. He is hopeful that he will line up with starters for the first Broncos minicamp in early May.

"There's no question I have work to do," Manning said. "I'm not where I want to be. I want to be where I was before I was injured. I know that I need the training staff and the weight staff here to get me where I need to be."
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 05-07-2012 at 09:43 AM.

Banned
    Mood

Peyton didn't say much for a long time. I was quoting Polian and the receivers he was throwing to. They said he was all the way back in December as did some folks at Duke University. Peyton would never say anything else other than he was recovering. He isn't about to say that he was ready in December but everyone who was watching and catching his passes say that he was. I choose to believe them since Peyton would never say anything that might cause controversy......

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Another point easily refuted by cats?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Peyton didn't say much for a long time. I was quoting Polian and the receivers he was throwing to. They said he was all the way back in December as did some folks at Duke University. Peyton would never say anything else other than he was recovering. He isn't about to say that he was ready in December but everyone who was watching and catching his passes say that he was. I choose to believe them since Peyton would never say anything that might cause controversy......

They said positive things about him, but whoever said he was "all the way back"? I don't recall anyone making such a definitive statement, though they were certainly saying positive things.

Polian's comments:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...t-a-high-level
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

"It's marked (improvement) from where he was back in September," Polian said. "He threw it accurately, he threw it with a good, tight spiral, and he threw it with velocity.

"Generally, he looked like a pretty confident quarterback out there."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those are certainly positive statements from Polian, but they in no way shape or form say that he was 100%. I'm not trying to get into splitting hairs here, but there is no feasible way that the guy could have been 100% when he was throwing in December. He hadn't played in a game since January 2011 and was laid up for most of that 11 month span because of the injury and surgeries, leaving him unable to throw or workout. If you aren't throwing or lifting weights then there is no feasible way you can keep the massive arm strength that he had when he was playing. It doesn't take a doctor to figure that out. And that's not even mentioning the nerve that had to regenerate.

I think Peyton is going to have a very good year this year and I'm glad that he has recovered from this injury. But he most certainly was not 100% when the Colts released him. He was quiet during most of this, but his comments on the day he signed with Denver show that he still had a bit of a way to go.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 05-07-2012 at 07:53 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

The other day Peyton was quoted as saying he felt he would be ready for the season. That made me wonder how literally we should take that... Did he mean that this would be a normal summer for him - camp, preseason games, season... Or did he mean camp and preseason could/would be limited but he thinks he'll be ready for the season?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Ol Blu is going to be puking crow for years from eating so much. Andrew Luck and the Colts are going to unstoppable this year. This team should win the South and be considered contenders again with the level of talent we have.

The Colts are for real again this year. There is going to be some extreme payback for last year. And to top it off we have the easiest schedule in the NFL.

I haven't been this excited in years.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    Ol Blu is going to be puking crow for years from eating so much. Andrew Luck and the Colts are going to unstoppable this year. This team should win the South and be considered contenders again with the level of talent we have.

The Colts are for real again this year. There is going to be some extreme payback for last year. And to top it off we have the easiest schedule in the NFL.

your serious?

I'd like that just as much as any other Colts fan but realistically that's just not going to happen. We have a rookie QB and incase you forgot we were 2-14 last year with many of the same players this year. Sure we picked up some good rookies including Luck but if you think the Colts will win the AFC South and be contenders again this upcoming season than you are sadly mistaken. We have alot of work to do.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post

I'm very optimistic about the future, but I think this is expecting too much. I think Luck will have a great career, but he will almost certainly struggle some this year. Let's not forget that Peyton threw 28 interceptions in his rookie season. He also threw 26 touchdowns, so you could clearly see the flashes of brilliance. I think that is what we will get from Luck. He will probably have some games where he throws up 3 or 4 touchdowns, but then he will probably also have some 3 or 4 interception games. That is what you expect from a rookie QB like him.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/schedule...anapolis-colts

I definitely think we can snag some wins at home as we have an extremely easy home schedule. Green Bay is the only tough team we have at Lucas. Minny, Jax, Cleve, Miami, Buff, Tenn, Houston are all winnable games. Our road schedule is brutal though: Chicago, NYJ, Tenn, Jax, NE, Det, Hou, KC.

I don't think a young team like us will be contending for the division with a road schedule like that, though I would obviously love it if they surprised me. If we can get 5-6 wins then I would consider it to be a very successful season, all things considered.

What excites me is thinking about where this team could be in a year from now. We will have cap room in 2013, more draft picks, and our young guys will have had a year of experience under their belt. I fully expect our team to contend for the division in 2013.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

If what you suggested happened, you are wrong about my reaction.... I would be celebrating and buying drinks for the whole bar and telling everyone that I was so wrong about the Colts, Luck and management..... I'll start saving up for that party right now......

Hahahaha. You got exposed for spewing B.S. Pathetic. This backtracking only makes you look foolish, which you demonstrate every time you post.

Peyton wasn't ready in December- he could only throw the ball 20-25 yards and his passes were wobbly. Sports Illustrated reported this. You clearly have plenty of spare time. Look it up.
    Last edited by hoosierguy; 05-13-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Indianapolis Colts
    Picks: QB Andrew Luck, TE Coby Fleener, TE Dwayne Allen, WR T.Y. Hilton, DT Josh Chapman, RB Vick Ballard, WR LaVon Brazill, G Justin Anderson, LB Tim Fugger, QB Chandler Harnish.
    Grade: B
    Analysis: The Colts took the safer of the two quarterbacks at the top of the draft in Luck, getting a guy who has more understanding of the pro game. That said, it's a fair bet that Griffin will be the better player over the length of their respective careers. Luck will probably never be a bad player and will likely be a 10-year starter in the league. Fleener and Allen were strong picks in the second and third rounds, particularly in a year when top tight ends weren't that available (there were only 14 tight ends at the NFL scouting combine in February). Hilton is a great speed guy, but he's really skinny and could get hammered by average cornerbacks until he learns how to get away from press coverage.

I think this review of Luck reflects my own view that has been hammered here. I don't think Luck will be a star in the NFL but may be a serviceable QB in the Kerry Collins mode. I do think Griffin will be the better player over the length of their career....
    This analysis sounds eerily similar to the Manning/Leaf comparisons for the 1997 draft. I don't get all the RG3 hype. He would rather be a celebrity than an NFL QB. I'm so glad we got Andrew Luck

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Mood

I think this review of Luck reflects my own view that has been hammered here. I don't think Luck will be a star in the NFL but may be a serviceable QB in the Kerry Collins mode. I do think Griffin will be the better player over the length of their career....
    For the sake of this Colts forum, I hope you're really really really really really really wrong about Luck (I know that's quite a bit of "really" but I wanted to hammer my point here...). Peyton Manning was (and still is) great obviously, and I completely understand why you would want to keep one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play football (I wanted to keep him too), but at some point I'd like to read more about the current state of the team instead of reading about how we should of kept every player from the Manning era... because it would totally be obnoxious to see I-told-you-so threads about Luck for the span of his (and RG3's) career. I guess my point is, we get it, you don't think Luck is going to be good.