Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 66

Thread: NFL.com on the Colts Draft

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default NFL.com on the Colts Draft

    Indianapolis Colts
    Picks: QB Andrew Luck, TE Coby Fleener, TE Dwayne Allen, WR T.Y. Hilton, DT Josh Chapman, RB Vick Ballard, WR LaVon Brazill, G Justin Anderson, LB Tim Fugger, QB Chandler Harnish.
    Grade: B
    Analysis: The Colts took the safer of the two quarterbacks at the top of the draft in Luck, getting a guy who has more understanding of the pro game. That said, it's a fair bet that Griffin will be the better player over the length of their respective careers. Luck will probably never be a bad player and will likely be a 10-year starter in the league. Fleener and Allen were strong picks in the second and third rounds, particularly in a year when top tight ends weren't that available (there were only 14 tight ends at the NFL scouting combine in February). Hilton is a great speed guy, but he's really skinny and could get hammered by average cornerbacks until he learns how to get away from press coverage.


    I think this review of Luck reflects my own view that has been hammered here. I don't think Luck will be a star in the NFL but may be a serviceable QB in the Kerry Collins mode. I do think Griffin will be the better player over the length of their career....

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NFL.com on the Colts Draft

    For balance, here is the SI rating of the Colts draft....

    Indianapolis Colts: I would like to have seen an earlier WR pick, but getting the electric T.Y. Hilton (92) and a pair of tight ends (Coby Fleener at 34 and Dwayne Allen at 64) gives Andrew Luck some nice weapons — and provides the Colts a nice offensive base. Don’t sleep on RB Vick Ballard (170). Grade: A-minus

  3. #3
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,860

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NFL.com on the Colts Draft

    We definitely went in looking to get Luck as many toys as we could. Next year will have to be about shoring up the defense.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,295

    Default Re: NFL.com on the Colts Draft

    When do teams have to trim their roster? Do we know of any potential players that will get cut that would be a good pickup for the Colts? They have first dibs, so that's nice.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  6. #5
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,295

    Default Re: NFL.com on the Colts Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We definitely went in looking to get Luck as many toys as we could. Next year will have to be about shoring up the defense.
    I'm looking forward to seeing who are the top S, CB and DT/NT in next year's draft. I'm familiar with some of the S, but not CB or DT/NT.

    S:
    Interested in seeing if Ray Ray Armstrong bounces back. TJ McDonald, Robert Lester.
    I'm sure we can get one of those in the 2nd round.

    I'm bullish for Monti Te'o, LB, from Notre Dame.

    Right now, I'm looking forward to see how Luck progresses during the season as well asFleener, Allen, TY and Chapman.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  7. #6
    Member Coupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    indynap
    Posts
    1,106
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NFL.com on the Colts Draft

    Trimming after preseason games start.

  8. #7

    Default Re: NFL.com on the Colts Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm looking forward to seeing who are the top S, CB and DT/NT in next year's draft. I'm familiar with some of the S, but not CB or DT/NT.

    S:
    Interested in seeing if Ray Ray Armstrong bounces back. TJ McDonald, Robert Lester.
    I'm sure we can get one of those in the 2nd round.

    I'm bullish for Monti Te'o, LB, from Notre Dame.

    Right now, I'm looking forward to see how Luck progresses during the season as well asFleener, Allen, TY and Chapman.
    More than likely they will pick the best player available. If they truly want to get better faster they would take a stud RB. Offensive players (other than QB's) almost always make an impact quicker than defensive players do. If they can take a stud WR or RB in rd one next year that would be awesome because they will have a ton of money under the cap to go get some veteran defensive help.

    Quick positive scenerio: If next years FA class can net us something similar to 1999 we could be in the playoffs next year! (Bratzke, Bennett, and Cota) - along with an impact player in Rd 1 would put us back in contention!

  9. #8
    Member Merz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,087
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NFL.com on the Colts Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    I think this review of Luck reflects my own view that has been hammered here. I don't think Luck will be a star in the NFL but may be a serviceable QB in the Kerry Collins mode. I do think Griffin will be the better player over the length of their career....
    It's funny you say that. The same things were said about Peyton Manning (not that that means anything for Luck). Many of the "experts" said Manning was safer but Leaf had the greater upside for later in his career. Manning wasn't being called the next Marino, he was being called the next...Kosar...Bernie Kosar. Manning was projected by some as just being a serviceable 10 year starter.

    As for Luck only being a Collins type, I must disagree. I don't see his floor as being any worse than what Matt Ryan currently is, which is certainly better than Kerry Collins has ever been.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Merz For This Useful Post:


  11. #9

    Default Re: NFL.com on the Colts Draft

    I'm sure lots of writers are only too happy to say Luck will be average or mediocre just to be contrarians. At this point no one knows jack and saying Luck will be great or **** is just jaw exercise. Give it up OlBlu until there is some evidence one way or the other meaning a game stat.

  12. #10
    Member Jrod Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor
    Posts
    170

    Default Re: NFL.com on the Colts Draft

    Funny that this person rated the colts draft based on the fact that he thinks that RG3 will be better then Luck.

    Luck was the obvious choice, albeit that doesn't mean that he will be the better pro. You can't grade a draft like that.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jrod Jones For This Useful Post:


  14. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NFL.com on the Colts Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure lots of writers are only too happy to say Luck will be average or mediocre just to be contrarians. At this point no one knows jack and saying Luck will be great or **** is just jaw exercise. Give it up OlBlu until there is some evidence one way or the other meaning a game stat.
    I think you are right about this but when you have a contrarian belief (like mine about Luck), you state it early and clearly. Then later, you either admit you were wrong or you point out that you tried to tell everyone a mistake was being made. I am done with that subject for now. As you say, lets see what he has got........

  15. #12
    Dood. Ownagedood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Franklin
    Age
    24
    Posts
    2,638

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NFL.com on the Colts Draft

    The knock on our draft is we didn't take RGIII? Really? Please, get your biased opinion on future performances outta here. Luck is the obvious choice. I think 90% of the teams would have picked Luck over RGIII if they had the first pick. He's more so a sure thing and altho not as exciting to watch as RGIII, he's going to be the real deal at the professional level.

    Draft grade for me is an A-... Too many offensive picks for my taste.

  16. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The knock on our draft is we didn't take RGIII? Really? Please, get your biased opinion on future performances outta here. Luck is the obvious choice. I think 90% of the teams would have picked Luck over RGIII if they had the first pick. He's more so a sure thing and altho not as exciting to watch as RGIII, he's going to be the real deal at the professional level.

    Draft grade for me is an A-... Too many offensive picks for my taste.
    The other ten percent would have traded back lol

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dgreenwell3 For This Useful Post:


  18. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NFL.com on the Colts Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The knock on our draft is we didn't take RGIII? Really? Please, get your biased opinion on future performances outta here. Luck is the obvious choice. I think 90% of the teams would have picked Luck over RGIII if they had the first pick. He's more so a sure thing and altho not as exciting to watch as RGIII, he's going to be the real deal at the professional level.

    Draft grade for me is an A-... Too many offensive picks for my taste.
    No, my problem with the draft is that we were drafting a QB number one at all. I thought we should have kept Manning and made a deal for the most overhyped player to ever come out of college football and fix the team up in all areas for many years. That was my choice. I would have resigned some of the stars and the Colts would be a contender to at least win the division this year..... You could have picked a QB prospect to develop behind Peyton and still had an enormous hall.... My opinion is (and it is only an opinion) that we will be losers for years while Peyton will have a chance at getting the SB with Denver.... If you read the first post in this thread you will see that some experts expect RGIII to be the real superstar, not Luck. I agree with them and I agree Luck was the safe pick and no one can be crucified for taking him. I think he will be a decent QB for a long time but no star that can lift the team around him. RGIII does have that star quality from what I have seen. So, as the previous poster said, what is done is done, so lets see what we have and how it works out. I said my piece and if I am wrong I will admit it. Will you admit it was a big mistake if Luck falls on his *** or the Colts lose for five or six years? I doubt it........

  19. #15

    Default Re: NFL.com on the Colts Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, my problem with the draft is that we were drafting a QB number one at all. I thought we should have kept Manning and made a deal for the most overhyped player to ever come out of college football and fix the team up in all areas for many years. That was my choice. I would have resigned some of the stars and the Colts would be a contender to at least win the division this year..... You could have picked a QB prospect to develop behind Peyton and still had an enormous hall.... My opinion is (and it is only an opinion) that we will be losers for years while Peyton will have a chance at getting the SB with Denver.... If you read the first post in this thread you will see that some experts expect RGIII to be the real superstar, not Luck. I agree with them and I agree Luck was the safe pick and no one can be crucified for taking him. I think he will be a decent QB for a long time but no star that can lift the team around him. RGIII does have that star quality from what I have seen. So, as the previous poster said, what is done is done, so lets see what we have and how it works out. I said my piece and if I am wrong I will admit it. Will you admit it was a big mistake if Luck falls on his *** or the Colts lose for five or six years? I doubt it........
    Will you if they win? It's hard to believe someones supposed "Great ability to predict" when they have been on here for what? Six months? You don't have a great record or reputation on this site so why don't you just try and realize why there aren't people rushing to be like, "Olblu you are so right, why don't people believe you?" Theres a dose of reality.

  20. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NFL.com on the Colts Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Will you if they win? It's hard to believe someones supposed "Great ability to predict" when they have been on here for what? Six months? You don't have a great record or reputation on this site so why don't you just try and realize why there aren't people rushing to be like, "Olblu you are so right, why don't people believe you?" Theres a dose of reality.
    I have been posting on blogs for many years. I certainly will admit to being wrong if they do winner sooner that I have suggested. I have said what I had to say and now it is time to get behind these guys and see who is right. It will be at least a three year process or do you have them winning the Super Bowl before then?

  21. #17

    Default Re: NFL.com on the Colts Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, my problem with the draft is that we were drafting a QB number one at all. I thought we should have kept Manning and made a deal for the most overhyped player to ever come out of college football and fix the team up in all areas for many years. That was my choice. I would have resigned some of the stars and the Colts would be a contender to at least win the division this year..... You could have picked a QB prospect to develop behind Peyton and still had an enormous hall.... My opinion is (and it is only an opinion) that we will be losers for years while Peyton will have a chance at getting the SB with Denver.... If you read the first post in this thread you will see that some experts expect RGIII to be the real superstar, not Luck.
    THe bolded part goes back to the point of whether Manning wanted to be apart of a rebuilding process at all. Either way you have to release some guys to even resign Wayne and fix some of the holes on both sides of the line.

    Rookie players also take time to develop and Manning of all people knows this since he has carried a team for so long working with mediocre talent or YOUNG talent. Picks don't immediately fix anything and Manning knows that and I think it was clear from both sides that the marraige was over.

    Now why do I say that.. Irsay said he would be willing to work with Manning as long as he would restructure his deal like he would for other teams. THats the point some of you guys don't get. I believe IRsay would have kept him if Manning would have given him the Broncos deal but he wouldn't.

    It takes two to tango and I have to believe Manning found a better partner with more upside for his championship run. Your IDEAL situation doesn't work,, well atleast not with considerable risk to the health of the franchise ie Mannings recovery and severly limits the Colts from building a championship team (salary cap hit that fans simply don't understand or are too lazy to learn anything about).
    Last edited by Gamble1; 05-01-2012 at 10:40 AM.

  22. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NFL.com on the Colts Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    THe bolded part goes back to the point of whether Manning wanted to be apart of a rebuilding process at all. Either way you have to release some guys to even resign Wayne and fix some of the holes on both sides of the line.

    Rookie players also take time to develop and Manning of all people knows this since he has carried a team for so long working with mediocre talent or YOUNG talent. Picks don't immediately fix anything and Manning knows that and I think it was clear from both sides that the marraige was over.

    No why do I say that.. Irsay said he would be willing to work with Manning as long as he would restructure his deal like he would for other teams. THats the point some of you guys don't get. I believe IRsay would have kept him if Manning would have given him the Broncos deal but he wouldn't.

    It takes two to tango and I have to believe Manning found a better partner with more upside for his championship run.
    If you believe anything Irsay says, I would like to talk to you about some swamp land. Much of the Colts problem last year was injuries not only to Manning but to other important players. Bring them back and you would give Houston a fight for first place. Houston lost two or three key players to free agency. They will still win the division this year but they are not quite as good as last year. That salary cap discussion is Teams can always find a way to make things work. Why should Peyton have restructured his deal. He got a BETTER deal for more money with Denver..... Even though people here said he should sign an incentive laden low price contract with the Colts that he would have to sign to get on with another team. I said , he will sign for money than his Colts deal. Who was right about that one? Great teams do not have to break down like this. Look at the Patriots and their record for the past 20 years with no end to winning in site. They rebuild on the fly while they win. The Colts should have been doing the same thing..... But, these are only opinions. Lets see how it works out........

  23. #19

    Default Re: NFL.com on the Colts Draft

    I'm betting Kirk Cousins wins a Super Bowl before Luck, RGIII, or Manning.

  24. #20

    Default Re: NFL.com on the Colts Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you believe anything Irsay says, I would like to talk to you about some swamp land. Much of the Colts problem last year was injuries not only to Manning but to other important players. Bring them back and you would give Houston a fight for first place. Houston lost two or three key players to free agency. They will still win the division this year but they are not quite as good as last year. That salary cap discussion is Teams can always find a way to make things work. Why should Peyton have restructured his deal. He got a BETTER deal for more money with Denver..... Even though people here said he should sign an incentive laden low price contract with the Colts that he would have to sign to get on with another team. I said , he will sign for money than his Colts deal. Who was right about that one? Great teams do not have to break down like this. Look at the Patriots and their record for the past 20 years with no end to winning in site. They rebuild on the fly while they win. The Colts should have been doing the same thing..... But, these are only opinions. Lets see how it works out........
    So bring back guys who are injury prone/overpaid and not very good anymore to fight for a division title. Who has signed Dallas Clark or Addai? NO one because they aren't very good anymore and Manning knows that.

    Again your ideal situation doesn't work because all the parties involved didn't think it was in their best interest. Why don't you understand that?

    So I should look at the Pats record in the last 20 years? Have you? They have had a 2-14 seaosn, a 5-11 season X2, a 6-10 season. Tom BRady's reign will end and no they don't rebuild on the fly. Once TOms retires that team will no longer be a superbowl contender and they will be a below 500 team.

    As far as the Manning deal its not better than the Colts since it involves only 18 million guaranteed in the first year and they can cut him loose 3X during the contract due to injury. Thats what IRsay wanted IMO.

  25. #21

    Default Re: NFL.com on the Colts Draft

    Olblu, your lack of knowledge on the Salary cap and football in general is showing...Dwight Freeney is a problem, Mathis will be a problem and Wayne's contract...Add on to that this isn't an uncapped year which is where that "They can always find away around the cap" comment came from. Being a person whose undergraduate degree is in sports administration, guarantee you, the Colts need draft picks under the current circumstances because they are cheap. Wait for those more expensive contracts go out then they can play in free agency.

  26. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NFL.com on the Colts Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Olblu, your lack of knowledge on the Salary cap and football in general is showing...Dwight Freeney is a problem, Mathis will be a problem and Wayne's contract...Add on to that this isn't an uncapped year which is where that "They can always find away around the cap" comment came from. Being a person whose undergraduate degree is in sports administration, guarantee you, the Colts need draft picks under the current circumstances because they are cheap. Wait for those more expensive contracts go out then they can play in free agency.
    The Colts do not play in free agency and I am glad that they do not. That is the best way to spend too much for players that are past their prime. They could have made it work. Watch Philly work that cap.... They always have enough room to sign whoever they want. I suppose you are going to tell me that if the Colts had gone 10-6 and Peyton was healthy, they would not have found a way to resign those players?


  27. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NFL.com on the Colts Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So bring back guys who are injury prone/overpaid and not very good anymore to fight for a division title. Who has signed Dallas Clark or Addai? NO one because they aren't very good anymore and Manning knows that.

    Again your ideal situation doesn't work because all the parties involved didn't think it was in their best interest. Why don't you understand that?

    So I should look at the Pats record in the last 20 years? Have you? They have had a 2-14 seaosn, a 5-11 season X2, a 6-10 season. Tom BRady's reign will end and no they don't rebuild on the fly. Once TOms retires that team will no longer be a superbowl contender and they will be a below 500 team.

    As far as the Manning deal its not better than the Colts since it involves only 18 million guaranteed in the first year and they can cut him loose 3X during the contract due to injury. Thats what IRsay wanted IMO.
    I believe Brady went out for the season early a few seasons ago and the Pats slipped to 11 wins with a QB that had not started a game since high school.....

  28. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Colts do not play in free agency and I am glad that they do not. That is the best way to spend too much for players that are past their prime. They could have made it work. Watch Philly work that cap.... They always have enough room to sign whoever they want. I suppose you are going to tell me that if the Colts had gone 10-6 and Peyton was healthy, they would not have found a way to resign those players?

    But they didn't...those are older guys, Peyton has health concerns so why keep them if he's gone? This team had a talent concern LONG before he came along. No one is going to take a paycut to go from a 3 win team to a 5 win team. It's just a reality of sports...that happens on teams going from 12-14 win...trust me. How many Bills players take paycuts? Also look at the guaranteed money and the cap figure. Colts haven't been great at working that cap figure...

  29. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NFL.com on the Colts Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But they didn't...those are older guys, Peyton has health concerns so why keep them if he's gone? This team had a talent concern LONG before he came along. No one is going to take a paycut to go from a 3 win team to a 5 win team. It's just a reality of sports...that happens on teams going from 12-14 win...trust me. How many Bills players take paycuts? Also look at the guaranteed money and the cap figure. Colts haven't been great at working that cap figure...

Similar Threads

  1. Official 2010 NBA Draft Recruiting Center
    By Lance George in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2258
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 01:21 PM
  2. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 8
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-15-2008, 03:48 PM
  3. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 2
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-24-2008, 09:42 PM
  4. The PD NBA Draft
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-21-2008, 04:55 PM
  5. Top Draft Prospects
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-18-2008, 11:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •