Thread: Indystar: Hibbert should dominate with Howard out

Default Indystar: Hibbert should dominate with Howard out

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...ate-Howard-out

Indiana Pacers center Roy Hibbert doesn't have any excuses.

Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard, a nemesis of Hibbert and every other center in league, is on the sideline in street clothes for the rest of the season.

It's Hibbert's time to star under the bright lights of the playoffs. It's time for him to show why he was named to the Eastern Conference All-Star team this season. It's time for him to show he deserves a hefty pay raise when he hits the free agent market this summer.

"I have to take things and look at each matchup and make sure I dominate on both ends of the floor," Hibbert said. "I can't have any lags in my game and I have to be on top of my game every game."

Howard, the league's premier center, is out for the rest of the season after surgery to repair a herniated disc in his back.

That leaves Hibbert as the marquee attraction in the middle. He has had the best season of his four-year career, averaging 12.8 points, 8.8 rebounds and 2.0 blocks.

There's no reason those numbers shouldn't increase during the series, with the Magic starting 6-9 Glen Davis in Howard's absence.

Game 1 of the best-of-seven series is Saturday at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

Hibbert's performance in the playoffs will likely play a part in how big a contract he'll receive when he becomes a restricted free agent in July.

"I don't want to start thinking it's my contract year and try to do too much and affect the game in a negative way," he said. "I'm not really thinking about that. Obviously I want to be a dominating presence."

Hibbert quickly noted that he's not the same person who had a difficult time controlling his emotions in the past, thanks to regular meetings with sports psychiatrist Dr. Chris Carr. With the urging of Carr, Hibbert kept a journal of goals he wanted to accomplish each game.

Some games it was how he wanted to perform against one of the league's best centers. In others, he would focus on making quicker moves to the basket.

"You just keep an eye on things with him," coach Frank Vogel said. "He knows his role on our team in any given game. You just try to define it clearly and then if it looks like he's trying to do too much, you just address it and tell him to play within himself and make him understand what has led to his success."

The Pacers have a balanced scoring attack, but it's Hibbert who wants to shoulder the majority of the load.

He often apologized to his teammates when he felt like he didn't play up to expectations during games in the regular season. But instead of letting things linger as he did in the past, Hibbert did his best to move on to the next game.

"He's very driven in terms of wanting the guys on the team to depend on him and knowing we can count on him," forward David West said. "He wants to be counted one. There have been games where he's apologized. That's very rare in a league full of egos.

"His willingness to want to be depended on and that he wants the team and the guys to know he's there and he's going to carry his share of the load . . . you have to respect a player like that."
    Through these quotes it really shows how great our players are, not only on the basketball court but also their personalities. I love this Pacer team!!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacersRule For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indystar: Hibbert should dominate with Howard out

Agree, Hibby should rock.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's up to his teammates to get him the ball..

They have to realize there isn't even a handful of guys in the league that will beat Hibbert in matchups.. Give the big man the ball early and often.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ownagedood For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

im so ready

Sports Logo

I really hope that he does dominate....but he really has to want it. I hope that we continually feed the ball to him. Hibbert should be the 1st or 2nd scoring option when he's on the floor.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Feed the beast!

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's up to his teammates to get him the ball..

They have to realize there isn't even a handful of guys in the league that will beat Hibbert in matchups.. Give the big man the ball early and often.
    The simplicity of our offense makes it extremely easy for opponents to disrupt our passing lanes, which is why seeing Roy go to the low post straight off and then get the ball pounded to him is so rare.

What I hope to see is that the typical play where the ball comes in to Roy and he waits for the cutter to try to draw off his man (and instead ends up the focus of a double team) gets switched up and Roy immediately moves to the basket when he gets the ball in his hands. It would seem to me that the cutter could then come just after the move starts so he is in position for either a rebound or for the pass if Roy somehow gets stopped.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Mood

This seems like a decent place to put this rather than creating a new thread:

http://www.slamonline.com/online/the...ndiana-pacers/

Hard work took Roy Hibbert from gangly prepster to NBA All-Star

There once was a teenager. He had the height of a young giant, so he played basketball, but he was awkward and gangly. Sure, he could dunk some and block a few shots, but his movements were clumsy and he didn’t have a feel for the game. Despite those Joker-sized question marks, a local DI coach saw enough upside to offer the Queens-born, DMV-bred teenager a scholarship.

“I saw three things in him,” Craig Esherick, Georgetown’s head coach from 1999 to 2004, says. “He was very tall, he had really good hands and his parents did a really good job of instilling the attitude in him that, ‘I can always learn something and I can always get better.’ Those things were a big start right off the bat.”

Most others—“some who will not admit it now,” Esherick, now a professor at George Mason, chuckles—questioned the coach’s assessment. Patrick Ewing Jr, the tall teen’s AAU-adversary-turned-Georgetown-teammate counts himself among those who doubted.

“I remember seeing him at an AAU game when he was 15,” says Ewing Jr, currently a member of the D-League’s Iowa Energy. “It was right after he committed to Georgetown and everyone thought I was going to Georgetown, so they were like, ‘He’s going to be your teammate.’ I was like, Who? That big, tall, kid there? Then, the first play of the game when we played him, I dunked on him. I was like, Man, this kid’s not going to Georgetown—he’s horrible.”

Ten or so years after that dunk, after scouting reports and recruiting services scoffed at him, the man—now 25—is an All-Star center in the NBA.

Hibbert’s coming of age began in the latter stages of his high school career. It’s difficult to say what the exact impetus for his improvement was, but it happened. “Everybody always says they want to be in the NBA,” Hibbert says of his ferocious appetite for improvement that was born in prep school. “I said, I want to be in the NBA, and I want to be a great player in it. I want to leave a legacy.”

Even with all of his preparation, the 7-2 center suffered growing pains during his freshman year (’04-05) at GTown. He started 17 of 32 games, but he struggled to stay on the court because of foul trouble and averaged only 5.1 points and 3.5 rebounds per game. Two good games to start his sophomore season—20 points and 7 boards, and 23 and 6—convinced Hibbert that the NBA was in his future.

It wasn’t until his junior season, though, that he convinced everyone else of that. That’s when, according to Ewing Jr, Hibbert “took it upon himself to destroy every center he played against.” That included Pitt’s Aaron Gray (whom he outscored 18-3 in the Big East Tournament) and Ohio State’s Greg Oden (whom he scored 19 points on in the Final Four).

Playing with confidence and a bloated bag full of skills—an underrated shooting touch; an ability to finish with either hand; keen ability to locate cutters in Coach Thompson III’s Princeton offense—Hibbert was ready for the NBA, and scouts agreed. The Jamaican-American wanted to stay for another year and graduate, though, and so he did.

That June, in ’08, after a good but not great senior season, after he saw his name slide down mock Draft boards because, “I’m not a sexy player,” Hibbert was taken by the Toronto Raptors with the 17th overall pick and immediately traded to the Indiana Pacers.

“I don’t know when he got drafted if anybody expected him to be an All-Star,” says long-time Pacers color analyst and former NBA player, Quinn Buckner. “They hoped he’d be a good, solid player—that’s what you hope when you get guys in that [range]. But success is always self-determined.” And Roy was determined to be a success.

The first few seasons of Hibbert’s stay in the League have mirrored his time as a Hoya. He struggled in his first season as a Pacer and stayed in Indiana that summer to refine his body and game. He played significantly better in his second season and stayed in Indiana again, this time with a focus on losing weight. He was even better in Year Three, and, due to the lockout, spent the summer working out his game in New York, in DC with the Hoyas and for another chunk of time with Tim Duncan.

All of that work—the word buzzes around Hibbert’s name like an aggressive hornet—has really paid dividends this season, where the Pacers have announced themselves as a legit threat in the East and Roy Hibbert has blossomed into an All-Star Sunday player. Now that he’s reached that status, quieting the bulletin-board material, it’s that pride that is going to keep propelling Roy forward.

“I don’t want to just be satisfied with what I’ve done up to this point,” says Hibbert, a cerebral and quirky guy who also enjoys acting and has a growing IMDB résumé. “I want to be mentioned as one of those great centers that Georgetown made. Those guys—Dikembe [Mutombo], Patrick and Alonzo [Mourning]—they were great in college and they were great in the League. That’s what makes them the Mount Rushmore of big men, and I want to be in that lineage.”
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

I love Roy.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Roy...just keep on being you. Keep on working hard. Keep on.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

News flash, Magic fans:

There is a new in town and his name is Roy Denzil Hibbert.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

I hope to be completely wrong about the following, but here is my take.

Actually, I suspect that Roy will have a more difficult time with Howard out. The Magic will force him to play away from the low post area due to O'B-lite SVG emptying the middle, forcing Roy to have to cover more ground rotating defensively and wearing him down more quickly, especially with West not having the best lateral movement defensively to make up the difference. I would be tempted to have Lou on the court with either Roy or West more frequently than usual to counter this problem.

Offensively, Roy will likely have a little more problem as well. As much hoopla as Howard gets as a defensive player, he is just not very quick even considering his massive size, and Roy has often taken advantage of that in the post when he has played against him.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope to be completely wrong about the following, but here is my take.

Actually, I suspect that Roy will have a more difficult time with Howard out. The Magic will force him to play away from the low post area due to O'B-lite SVG emptying the middle, forcing Roy to have to cover more ground rotating defensively and wearing him down more quickly, especially with West not having the best lateral movement defensively to make up the difference. I would be tempted to have Lou on the court with either Roy or West more frequently than usual to counter this problem.

Offensively, Roy will likely have a little more problem as well. As much hoopla as Howard gets as a defensive player, he is just not very quick even considering his massive size, and Roy has often taken advantage of that in the post when he has played against him.
    This was my initial thought. But we need to find a way to get him the ball in the low post....but have just the right players on the floor to keep him out of trouble.