Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Default Re: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Right now I would be pretty happy with any of about 5 picks.. CB, LB/DT, WR, TE, OL
    I agree with this. The most important thing is that we get a good player.

1st and best option - Trade down a few spots and get some additional picks

If the Colts don't trade down:
    2nd option - Take Hill

3rd - Janoris Jenkins (top 15 talent, but might be too high a risk for a bottom feeder team like the Colts)

4. Martin or Konz (Protecting Luck should be priority #1) - Could start Martin at LT and slide Castonzo over to RT (or vice versa), then Ijalana can be the RG.

Pass on Fleener. He's got speed, but it's mostly straight line speed. Colts need TE to block and he is a **** poor blocker. Pass! Dwayne Allen in the 3rd if he's still there. It's a weak TE class. No sense in reaching.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

I'd say St. Louis takes Hill unless they trade that pick to somebody who wants Jenkins.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Any scout that just considers Fleener a jump ball TD player is an idiot IMO. Gessh one scout compared him to Todd Heap of all people.

He may be a bad blocker but you can coach guys up still. ITs not like he is a finished product at 22.
    That's fine, but Colts have more pressing needs than a TE. Shoring up the O-Line and getting Luck a weapon is more important. Martin and Hill would be better options right now than Feener. Also, need a CB really badly. Jenkins is tempting...just not sure though.

Of course, we'll have to wait and see what the Rams do. They need a WR and Oline hep, so they could take Martin or Hill. I see them trading down to be honest, like they did in the first. Just build a bunch of picks. They already have 3 2nd rounders. They could trade down and get some additional picks this year and next.

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    I'd say St. Louis takes Hill unless they trade that pick to somebody who wants Jenkins.
    That's what I'm thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    1st and best option - Trade down a few spots and get some additional picks

If the Colts don't trade down:
    2nd option - Take Hill

3rd - Janoris Jenkins (top 15 talent, but might be too high a risk for a bottom feeder team like the Colts)

4. Martin or Konz (Protecting Luck should be priority #1) - Could start Martin at LT and slide Castonzo over to RT (or vice versa), then Ijalana can be the RG.

Pass on Fleener. He's got speed, but it's mostly straight line speed. Colts need TE to block and he is a **** poor blocker. Pass! Dwayne Allen in the 3rd if he's still there. It's a weak TE class. No sense in reaching.
    I wouldn't be unhappy with Allen but I doubt he makes it to the third. Why do people think or pass blocking is so poor? The team was around 15th in the league with sacks and Qb hits. Thats with a young line and we got Winston Justice to help out on the right side. Mike McGlynn will also help out as guard and he can play center.

This O-line is not as poor as some of you guys are making it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    I wouldn't be unhappy with Allen but I doubt he makes it to the third. Why do people think or pass blocking is so poor? The team was around 15th in the league with sacks and Qb hits. Thats with a young line and we got Winston Justice to help out on the right side. Mike McGlynn will also help out as guard and he can play center.

This O-line is not as poor as some of you guys are making it out to be.
    ...Winston Justice helping the right side? :vomit:

If Justice starts, something is really wrong.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We really need to focus on the OL and make sure Luck is well protected.

Cordy Glenn is my pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Winston Justice helping the right side? :vomit:

If Justice starts, something is really wrong.
    I think Justice is better than Likenbach and I am hoping Ijalana is the real answer at RT. Either way any guy we get in the second round is going to have a big time learning curve to the rest of the guys the Colts already have on the roster.

Glenn will be too slow at RT and is best fit to be a guard IMO. I wouldn't mind him at all on the team but this line needs won't be filled with a rookie at RT.

Personally I would rather spend the money in the off season on some veteran guys than burn an early pick on a RT.

Whomever said the Rams need a tight end? We just drafted lance kendricks last year....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dgreenwell3 For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm still going with Fleener. We can find OL help later on.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wanted to comment on the actual draft.... it made me pretty mad to hear the RG3 chants while Luck was walking across the stage. They let in the biggest group of monkeys to these draft ceremonies every year.

Luck finally gets to walk the stage and all he hears is "RG3... RG3... RG3..." I bet he is tired as ***** of hearing about RG3 all the time. I know *I* am... it's getting to be RG3 whip-lash.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I'm still going with Fleener. We can find OL help later on.
    Agreed... some ppl are saying Fleener is a bust, only has straight line speed.. Well think in the past, how often has a guy "come out of no where" shortly after being drafted... They get overlooked for how big of a contributor they really can be.. Or nobody wanted them because of this or that, and he ends up making that "huge weakness" just disappear. I feel like that is becoming Fleener.. He is the top TE in the draft, yet people are letting him slide on down.

One example...Graham picked in round 3... turned out to be a BEAST for the Saints.

If you know what your doing you can get OL starters in 5th round

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ya, my stance is of the guys that are left, Fleener is the only one besides maybe one of the WRs left who has a chance to be a true playmaker, and we need playmakers. I just can't see anyone left providing more of a security-blanket for Luck than Fleener... If you watch off-field footage of Luck you can tell that he's got a very close relation with Fleener.

An OL in the 2nd round would provide protection for Luck, but you lose out on a playmaker and security blanket for Luck... and in the later rounds you probly won't find a similar-caliber TE, but you can likely find OL help.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm almost as excited about this 2nd pick than I am the first... I think it's extremely important in the grand scheme of this franchise. We gotta nail this.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

I'm almost as excited about this 2nd pick than I am the first... I think it's extremely important in the grand scheme of this franchise. We gotta nail this.
    Agreed.. This pick feels HUGE.. You can get a potential "superstar" from our position and who is left.. Just have to pick correctly. Tons of big time difference makers left.

We all knew Luck was first.. This is where our draft really starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    Agreed... some ppl are saying Fleener is a bust, only has straight line speed.. Well think in the past, how often has a guy "come out of no where" shortly after being drafted... They get overlooked for how big of a contributor they really can be.. Or nobody wanted them because of this or that, and he ends up making that "huge weakness" just disappear. I feel like that is becoming Fleener.. He is the top TE in the draft, yet people are letting him slide on down.

One example...Graham picked in round 3... turned out to be a BEAST for the Saints.

If you know what your doing you can get OL starters in 5th round
    Bolded is what is funny to me.. How do people think TE's play most of the time. Do they think they do a bunch of different patterns that requires them to come in and out of breaks fast.. OF course not! Most of them hit the seams. Gronk mastered that last year and it was very effective.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think FLeener is going to be a beast in this league. He's got fantastic hands, great speed and route-running ability... his one weakness may be blocking, but you can work on that. I've read that his blocking isn't "that" bad. If you treat Fleener like a big down-the-middle receiver like Stanford did, you can have a ton of success with him. And his red-zone abilities are exactly what you need for a team that will likely have issues in the red zone.

I think FLeener is going to be a beast in this league. He's got fantastic hands, great speed and route-running ability... his one weakness may be blocking, but you can work on that. I've read that his blocking isn't "that" bad. If you treat Fleener like a big down-the-middle receiver like Stanford did, you can have a ton of success with him. And his red-zone abilities are exactly what you need for a team that will likely have issues in the red zone.
    Here is Luck on Fleeners blocking.

There's at least one person willing to vouch for the blocking abilities of tight end Coby Fleener: Andrew Luck.

Luck, who will be the Colts' No. 1 overall pick Thursday night, was Fleener's teammate for four years at Stanford. Luck said that while Fleener is more known for his receiving skills, he can be an every-down tight end in the NFL.

"He's dynamic enough," Luck said at an NFL Play 60 pre-draft event in Manhattan Wednesday. "Obviously his speed and his jumping ability [are good], but watching him improve as a blocker in college was special, especially his dedication in the weight room and the film room."

Fleener, who may be available to the Giants with the 32nd pick, said he considers himself a well-rounded player. Many scouts have concerns about his abilities as a blocker, even though he is 6-6 and 247 pounds. Luck used to be concerned, too.

"I know when I came in as a freshman he definitely wasn't the guy you wanted in there blocking, which is no knock to him," Luck said. "But he's worked on it and [last season] he was in there on the short-yardage, goal-line stuff. He was that guy."
    http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...cker-1.3682592

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ya, I think the blocking will come. His other traits are fairly special at that position.

I wanted to comment on the actual draft.... it made me pretty mad to hear the RG3 chants while Luck was walking across the stage. They let in the biggest group of monkeys to these draft ceremonies every year.

Luck finally gets to walk the stage and all he hears is "RG3... RG3... RG3..." I bet he is tired as ***** of hearing about RG3 all the time. I know *I* am... it's getting to be RG3 whip-lash.
    Well, if it makes you feel any better, they are hyping him up to be the second coming of Joe Theismann in the local media here in DC. Which is what they did with Donovan McNabb when they signed him a couple of years ago. I am no doubt RGIII will be good but the Redskins will find a way to screw it up like they always do. If RGIII ever wins a SB it will be in another city.

Almost time for rounds 2 and 3 to start. Woot!

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Why? The average NFL career is three years. Say it is five years for this pick. That means he will never be around to see this team have a winning record....

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    Why? The average NFL career is three years. Say it is five years for this pick. That means he will never be around to see this team have a winning record....
    I would bet quite a bit the Colts have a winning record before that especially if they draft well. You get the highest rated Quarterback since John Elway as the cornerstone. Don't say your crap about him just being "hyped" and being like Russell, Quinn or David Carr, none of those guys had the pedigree, intelligence or experience that Luck does. I am not even a Colt fan here and I know that.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If the Colts want a DT, I wouldn't be surprised to see them pick Devon Still from PSU in the 2nd round. He should have went first round honestly. Guy is a straight up beast, will be able to step in and have an impact right away. One of the best D-lineman to come out of PSU recently and they have had more than a few good ones.