Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53

Thread: I don't care if Hibbert flops

  1. #1
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,638

    Default I don't care if Hibbert flops

    I know his positive interviews have been discussed a bit, but I'm taking it further than that in my opinion. As the title suggests, I'm so impressed with him as a person that even if he goes out with a Haskin like career without even being injured I'll still be pleased with the pick and happy he had a shot with this team.

    As nice as a guy like Granger comes across, Hibbert's fluid poise and ability to thoughtfully express himself is staggering by pro athlete standards and stands out as more than just "a nice guy". He's devoid of go-to phrases, lots of "ums", and all the other trappings of someone who's not quite sure what they want to say next. That puts him ahead of even your average college student at this point.

    Clearly they've done a great job of populating the team with pretty positive image players and having Granger move into even more of the spotlight should work out well. But Hibbert seems beyond even that, he's a guy ready to go into speaking engagements right now or perhaps do some writing.

    And for that I'm giving him a 100% pass on ANY on-court production. His personality suggests he'll give his best no matter what and that gives him a chance to succeed. But even if he doesn't I'm glad they made him a Pacer.

    He wasn't my pick for that spot and I have my doubts about his game at the NBA. But at 17th and with his personality and approach I'm not just prepared to live with whatever he gives the team, I'm happy to do so.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,478

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I don't care if Hibbert flops

    Agreed. I think this is a product of drafting a four year guy from a school like Georgetown.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  4. #3
    Come Home Lance! BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    16,025

    Default Re: I don't care if Hibbert flops

    Yes, he had some of the more interesting and thoughtful responses. I was also impressed by TJ and Baston. Not as impressed by Jack, Rush and the Car-mel educated McRoberts.

    I expect Hibbert to have a long career in the NBA simply because guys like Kwame Brown and Eric Dampier seem able to stick around. IMO, his floor is a solid backup C who can man-up against bigger C's. His ceiling is somewhere around Mutombo.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,795

    Default Re: I don't care if Hibbert flops

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    As nice as a guy like Granger comes across, Hibbert's fluid poise and ability to thoughtfully express himself is staggering by pro athlete standards and stands out as more than just "a nice guy". He's devoid of go-to phrases, lots of "ums", and all the other trappings of someone who's not quite sure what they want to say next. That puts him ahead of even your average college student at this point.

    ....But Hibbert seems beyond even that, he's a guy ready to go into speaking engagements right now or perhaps do some writing.
    I said pretty much the same thing in one of the draft threads. I was happy that our two draftees were actually able to speak in properly constructed, full sentences.

    When asked a simple question, too many of the draftees would start their answer with "Um, I mean........" as if they had already said something they now wished to clarify. For cryin' out loud, by this point in their lives, these people should be able to answer a question without mumbling and hem-hawing unintelligible garble.

    OK, enough ranting from me.

  6. #5
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: I don't care if Hibbert flops

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I said pretty much the same thing in one of the draft threads. I was happy that our two draftees were actually able to speak in properly constructed, full sentences.

    When asked a simple question, too many of the draftees would start their answer with "Um, I mean........" as if they had already said something they now wished to clarify. For cryin' out loud, by this point in their lives, these people should be able to answer a question without mumbling and hem-hawing unintelligible garble.

    OK, enough ranting from me.
    Ever been interviewed on live TV?

    It's harder than it looks.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  8. #6

    Default Re: I don't care if Hibbert flops

    Public speaking is not easy for many people, I don;t see that as a reason to be down on them, if they are trying to give an honest and appropriate answer.

    As far as Hibbert, if he is nothing better than a career backup how gives some quality minutes, I would maybe be a little disappointed, but can live with that. He does seem to be a likeable guy and should be a good teammate, so that is worth a lot to the Pacers right now.

  9. #7
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: I don't care if Hibbert flops

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know his positive interviews have been discussed a bit, but I'm taking it further than that in my opinion. As the title suggests, I'm so impressed with him as a person that even if he goes out with a Haskin like career without even being injured I'll still be pleased with the pick and happy he had a shot with this team.

    As nice as a guy like Granger comes across, Hibbert's fluid poise and ability to thoughtfully express himself is staggering by pro athlete standards and stands out as more than just "a nice guy". He's devoid of go-to phrases, lots of "ums", and all the other trappings of someone who's not quite sure what they want to say next. That puts him ahead of even your average college student at this point.

    Clearly they've done a great job of populating the team with pretty positive image players and having Granger move into even more of the spotlight should work out well. But Hibbert seems beyond even that, he's a guy ready to go into speaking engagements right now or perhaps do some writing.

    And for that I'm giving him a 100% pass on ANY on-court production. His personality suggests he'll give his best no matter what and that gives him a chance to succeed. But even if he doesn't I'm glad they made him a Pacer.

    He wasn't my pick for that spot and I have my doubts about his game at the NBA. But at 17th and with his personality and approach I'm not just prepared to live with whatever he gives the team, I'm happy to do so.
    This whole post seems to fit Baston better than Hibbert. Hibby's interview was fine, but Maceo's the best yet.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  10. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: I don't care if Hibbert flops

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His ceiling is somewhere around Mutombo.
    If you're referring to the post 36 year old Mutombo, I would agree. If you're referring to the Mutombo before that, then that's a pretty lofty standard.

    Mutombo in his prime was an 8 time all-star, 3 time 1st team all defensive player and 4 Time Defensive Player of the year. He led the league in rebounding twice and led the league in blocks 5 times.

    If Hibbert can even come close to sniffing any of those accomplishments just once in his career, it would be a huge slam dunk for the Pacers.

  11. #9
    Banned Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Re: I don't care if Hibbert flops

    Hibbert gives this team size, he allows Foster/Murphy to play PF. I see him being a very decent player. Never an all-star but if Ostertag & Foster could do it for the Jazz in the late 90's why not Roy?
    PS Admit you have a man crush on him

    If he flops I will be pissed.

  12. #10
    Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,799

    Default Re: I don't care if Hibbert flops

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ever been interviewed on live TV?

    It's harder than it looks.
    Yes, I have. You're spot on about it being harder than it looks. It took me by surprise, because I do a lot of public speaking, and it was still hard to do.

  13. #11
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,575

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: I don't care if Hibbert flops

    hmmm...an optimistic Seth....I'm not to sure what to make of that.... J/K
    Last edited by CableKC; 08-23-2008 at 07:02 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  14. #12
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: I don't care if Hibbert flops

    Unfortunately I haven't seen any of his interviews - well any for that matter. But I just can't give any on-court passes after having the well-spoken David Harrison.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  15. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,795

    Default Re: I don't care if Hibbert flops

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ever been interviewed on live TV?

    It's harder than it looks.
    On TV, radio and newspapers.

  16. #14
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: I don't care if Hibbert flops

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On TV, radio and newspapers.
    Newspaper's incredibly easy. Radio less so. TV is hard. Perfectly smart people have their lips freeze up in front of a camera.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  17. #15

    Default Re: I don't care if Hibbert flops

    That is twice Scott Haskin's name has come up in this forum in less than a week. Why can't we just leave him where we found him?

    Unemployed. In Greenland.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:


  19. #16

    Default Re: I don't care if Hibbert flops

    I can't be the only person who thought this thread was going to be about Hibbert being a Vlade Divac clone.

    Actually, I'd be happy with Vlade on my team. Mostly.

    I haven't had much exposure to the new pacers here in Arkansas, but from what I hear, it sounds like it will be a great group to watch and follow, if not a contender right away.

  20. #17
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,632

    Default Re: I don't care if Hibbert flops

    Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That is twice Scott Haskin's name has come up in this forum in less than a week. Why can't we just leave him where we found him?

    Unemployed. In Greenland.
    That Putnam, he can fuss.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  21. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: I don't care if Hibbert flops

    Hibbert can't fail. Too big, too smart, too skilled, too great of an attitude, too great of a work ethic. Below average athleticism isn't enough to hold him down.

  22. #19

    Default Re: I don't care if Hibbert flops

    I doubt you will ever see the p's draft anyone that has a questionable personality again. To many lessons learned the past few years. A psychological profile is probably the first step to becoming a Pacer. I am impressed with the summer so far.

  23. #20
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,845

    Default Re: I don't care if Hibbert flops

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Newspaper's incredibly easy. Radio less so. TV is hard. Perfectly smart people have their lips freeze up in front of a camera.
    most professionals (im talking about Lawyers, Doctors, etc) #1 fear is public speaking.

  24. #21
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I don't care if Hibbert flops

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This whole post seems to fit Baston better than Hibbert. Hibby's interview was fine, but Maceo's the best yet.
    If that is the case then we are in trouble...

  25. #22

    Default Re: I don't care if Hibbert flops

    Sorry, I'm not giving Hibbert a pass if he can't produce nor Rush. I expect 1st round picks to produce... not fail. Forget the offcourt and temperament issues of Harrison and Williams, I'm tired of watching 1st round picks not producing to their potential or not at all. I don't want to hear Hibbert was a "good guy", so if he fails it's ok. Failure is failure and it doesn't/won't help the Pacers for or in the future. In the end, if Hibbert fails, he has cost the Pacers money, time, and loss of production that the Pacers need to reach the goal of competing for a championship. If Hibbert, fails he will be nothing more than a wasted pick... plain and simple. Something the Pacers just can't afford, nor can Bird, at this juncture is failures and long term projects that produce little. JMOAA

  26. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,374

    Default Re: I don't care if Hibbert flops

    Yea, I don't really understand this. Honestly, who cares how good of an interview he is? Is it cool with you guys if we just keep drafting good interview guys and take a few 60 loss seasons? I mean, not saying a guy with a good interview is a guaranteed bust or anything, but how is it relevant to what matters -- winning?

    If he sucks on the court, he will be a bad pick. Period. How charming he is, is simply unimportant.

  27. #24
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,638

    Default Re: I don't care if Hibbert flops

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ever been interviewed on live TV?

    It's harder than it looks.
    I agree. In college I actually did very well with my speech classes but it's work and it's definitely not for everyone. It's a situation where from the outside looking in you can easily see the mistakes but looking out from inside it's very tough to gauge how you are actually presenting yourself.

    With Hibbert I mentioned writing because you also notice a fairly wide vocabulary to go with his thoughts. Plenty of people think the "right" things or even profound things, but to then be able to put those into words on the fly...that's impressive. It sure implies to me that he spent time in his classes, which of course then adds a level of ethics and motivation to his character as well.

    I was so hopeful for Hibbert coming into last season since he was a 4 year guy, but I didn't think he lived up to expectations which is why I wasn't stoked on him as a draft pick.

    But as the thread suggests, now I sincerely don't care about that. It feels really good to see a guy like that representing your team. He's going to be in our community affecting our kids and what they aspire to be. That's got to be a huge win for Indy and the Pacers.



    Baston and Ford - they are both poised but Baston especially has age and worldly experience behind him. You put Hibbert around the globe like Baston and check back in around age 30 and you'll have a guy capable of running for office.

    I said in the "Meet the Pacers" thread that I expect communication on court to be really strong, and it's specifically because of guys like Hibbert and Ford. And Rush comes from a system that was very dependent on that as well so I think he'll fit right in too.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 08-24-2008 at 12:35 PM.

  28. #25
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,638

    Default Re: I don't care if Hibbert flops

    PS - F-BOMB YOUR GD PB DERAIL YOU SOBs. Not in this thread. Shut it, shut it, shut it.






    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    hmmm...an optimistic Seth....I'm not to sure what to make of that.... J/K
    I wouldn't go that far. I'm pretty consistent about these things but I think sometimes posters get confused. I can be enthusiastic and supportive of the team AND also think they are going to suck. If anything I'm sort of admitting that now and saying that I'll be able to buy into this team despite the expected losing. I'm in for the rebuild long haul and was last year. My W-L prediction was only off by a couple of wins and I went to tons of games despite that.

    I don't think they can make the playoffs, though the idea of Ford playing 75 games makes me wonder about that. I can see him having a bigger impact than we hoped for. Regardless I won't care. It's going to take some really serious blunders in PR terms to lose me with this team. And on top of that I'm pushing the apathetic types that I know to give this team a look.

    So we get another #13 pick while they get an identity and restructure the pecking order, no worries. My expectations are for them to be solidly competitive MAYBE the season after this and anything sooner will be considered a bonus.



    As for the free pass, I think I explained it as much as I can. It's a #17 pick for a team who's biggest issues with the fan base have been PR based. Dude's already a home run with those considerations in mind.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 08-24-2008 at 12:44 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Tbird draft analysis: Roy Hibbert
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 124
    Last Post: 01-12-2012, 04:34 PM
  2. Georgetown's Legacy Lives on in Roy Hibbert
    By MillerTime in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-27-2008, 10:01 AM
  3. Hibbert and Rush Press Conference
    By naptownmenace in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 07-16-2008, 12:22 PM
  4. The Road Back - The Kevin Everett story (Good Read)
    By Since86 in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-13-2007, 12:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •