Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 112

Thread: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

  1. #1
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,466

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    Seems bizarre that with only 10 games left that still nobody is discussing the Pacers nationally. We have beaten every elite team besides the Spurs. They didn't even mention the score from last night on Fox radio this morning. Sam Mitchell gave us props on NBA network though.

  2. #2
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,272
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    Its fine with me. Maybe teams won't take us seriously with such little attention. And the fans, too.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,957

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seems bizarre that with only 10 games left that still nobody is discussing the Pacers nationally. We have beaten every elite team besides the Spurs. They didn't even mention the score from last night on Fox radio this morning. Sam Mitchell gave us props on NBA network though.
    I was just thinking that this morning when I read Hollingers power rankings.
    He has us at 12th. http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings
    We don't have the talent of Miami, Chicago, or OKC but we're better then 12th.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,466

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its fine with me. Maybe teams won't take us seriously with such little attention. And the fans, too.
    It's just getting on my nerves. These guys deserve some friggin recognition

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,272
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was just thinking that this morning when I read Hollingers power rankings.
    He has us at 12th. http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings
    We don't have the talent of Miami, Chicago, or OKC but we're better then 12th.
    How the **** are the Sixers ahead of us?!?
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    941

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    I wouldn't put too much stock, or get too upset, about Hollinger's power rankings. They are based off a formula that heavily favors point differential, that is the reason the Sixers are ranked so high.

    Here are 2 more logic based power rankings (we're 7th in both):
    http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings

    http://www.nba.com/powerrankings/

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Sleeze For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Member yoadknux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,320

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    We're actually 7th on nba.com power rankings (Spurs, Heat, OKC, Bulls, Celtics, Grizz ranked ahead of us).
    There's just not that much to talk about. We don't have any fancy-superstar players. We have young players who are developing but they don't show huge sparks.
    And most important, we're not really contenders and the 3-6 seeds in the east are pretty much a toss up (Are we clearly a better team than the Celtics, Hawks, Magic? not quite)
    The most outstanding thing about us is really the fact we suffered from almost no injuries. We have a group of solid players that play team basketball and do a good job at that, but it's the NBA, nobody cares about such things
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

  13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    It's Indiana. Get used to it.

    There was a time when I would get fired up about media coverage, but these days the only thing that fires me up is winning. Particularly playoff winning.

  15. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  16. #9

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?
    Looking through the last few years of number three seeds in the East, I see a couple that had roughly the same level of national attention as this Pacers team.

    09-10 Hawks
    06-07 Raptors

    Neither of those teams, like the Pacers this year in my opinion, were championship contenders. The media (rightfully so to a point) only gives significant attention to teams with a legitimate shot at the championship. That's just not the Pacers this year.

  17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  18. #10
    Member Alabama-Redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lake Guntersville, Alabama
    Age
    73
    Posts
    1,690

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    As Bob Knight said, "The only people that pay attention to rankings are the media who make them up."

    I would rather be the hammer than the nail

  19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alabama-Redneck For This Useful Post:


  20. #11
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    "We have something to prove, and I kind of like it that way."

  21. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:


  22. #12

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking through the last few years of number three seeds in the East, I see a couple that had roughly the same level of national attention as this Pacers team.

    09-10 Hawks
    06-07 Raptors

    Neither of those teams, like the Pacers this year in my opinion, were championship contenders. The media (rightfully so to a point) only gives significant attention to teams with a legitimate shot at the championship. That's just not the Pacers this year.
    Well the only argument on this is that teams that have definitely lower in terms of seeding are getting more media attention (Celtics and Knicks for example). Although in Celtics' case, their current wins and the Sixers' losing streak are making some buzz for contenders to watch out for. I just don't get the Knicks for getting much hype. Probably the big market thing is the reason, but they cover more of the drama rather than game results.

  23. #13
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just don't get the Knicks for getting much hype. Probably the big market thing is the reason, but they cover more of the drama rather than game results.
    That game-winner Melo hit over the weekend helped...

  24. #14
    Redemption. docpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Posts
    1,685

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    We don't deserve any more press/hype until we show we can advance in the playoffs. The wins now make me feel great as a fan, but our team's true mettle will be demonstrated in May. Expect there to be *plenty* of press following a playoff series win.

  25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:


  26. #15
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,272
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We don't deserve any more press/hype until we show we can advance in the playoffs. The wins now make me feel great as a fan, but our team's true mettle will be demonstrated in May. Expect there to be *plenty* of press following a playoff series win.
    I hope so. But a third seed should still EXIST on Sportscenter!
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  28. #16

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We don't deserve any more press/hype until we show we can advance in the playoffs. The wins now make me feel great as a fan, but our team's true mettle will be demonstrated in May. Expect there to be *plenty* of press following a playoff series win.
    Not they hype. But the Pacers certainly needs attention just to get the nation be familiar with how the team is currently doing. How can casual fans be aware that the team is now doing great when they're not getting some promotion or something.

  29. #17
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    I'm just looking forward to getting back on national TV more than once or twice a year starting next season. I admit I've missed that.

  30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  31. #18
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,272

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We don't deserve any more press/hype until we show we can advance in the playoffs. The wins now make me feel great as a fan, but our team's true mettle will be demonstrated in May. Expect there to be *plenty* of press following a playoff series win.
    I agree with this. Up until about 10-15 games ago, we were getting destroyed by teams over .500. It'd be nice to have a presence on sportscenter, but at the same time, we don't have many "sportscenter highlights" to show during our games. Every now and then PG will get a nice dunk, but aside from that, we are kind of the opposite of what ESPN likes to cover. Small market, fundamental TEAM that doesn't have any locker room drama.

    If we are able to win a playoff series, I suspect we'll begin to get some media coverage our way.

  32. #19

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    I wouldn't care about the lack of media attention except for the impact the lack of attention has on our attendance. We have pathetic attendance for a 3 seed. I'm still having conversations with people where people are saying "Really? The Pacers are good? Huh..." The word still isn't out completely.

    The Pacers marketing department is doing a good job (I've heard chatter about the billboards), but the media needs to validate their success. That's a big piece of the puzzle in the casual fan's eye.

  33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:


  34. #20
    Member WhoLovesYaBaby?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    612
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    Let them ignore us. I see this team going past the second round in the east.

    Or, they could drop the first series and be out of it. Either way.

  35. #21
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,530

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    If they do end up being #3 seed they'll get attention, if they then win the first two games at home, they'll build even more momentum. I think most national media consider this a two horse race in the East, and rightfully so, until something happens to change that.

    They still deserve props, but they have one anything yet.

  36. #22
    Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    941

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm just looking forward to getting back on national TV more than once or twice a year starting next season. I admit I've missed that.
    I was just wondering about this, so I started a poll to see what everybody thinks.

  37. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Franklin
    Posts
    415
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    True, the media heads ignore us because it's not a big deal nationally. I'm sure sports analysts and the players give us the respect we deserve. And I'll take their respect over the sheeple who only follow Lebron and Kobe. I've heard Wilbon and Barkley say quite a few nice things about the Pacers.

    Take a another look at it and think about how the Spurs feel? They have been absolutely outstanding for the entire season and are just now gaining recognition.

  38. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessen For This Useful Post:


  39. #24
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,636

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    Being in 3rd place is exciting for us the Pacers fans but it's not that exciting when compared to the 2 teams ahead of us in the East - Chicago and Miami - and the drama that surrounds Orlando, Boston, and NY.

    In the West, OKC, San Antonio, and both LA teams have been more exciting because of the number of All-NBA players on those respective teams. The Pacers don't have a single All-NBA level player right now so they're not going to garner much national attention unless they beat one of the more exciting teams in the playoffs.

  40. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:


  41. #25
    Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    941

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    I think a first round match-up with the Hawks or Magic would almost guarantee us being on NBA TV, so it looks like we're screwed there in terms of casual fans tuning in.

    The only thing that might move our series to a better channel is if the Magic have a blowout between SVG and Howard and it gets the "drama" media attention.

  42. The Following User Says Thank You to The Sleeze For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Just How Good are the Pacer Players??
    By xIndyFan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 01-11-2011, 07:17 PM
  2. NBA Coach Power Rankings: O'Brien 23rd
    By Hibbert in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-12-2010, 06:23 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-10-2010, 03:28 PM
  4. The PD NBA Draft - Selection 10 - New Jersey
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 06:26 AM
  5. SportsGuy eviscerates USA Basketball
    By Kegboy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-04-2004, 03:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •