Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who amongst us did not survive our five years of hell?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Who amongst us did not survive our five years of hell?

Nah, I was always going to be there for the Pacers. When you are a fan of sports teams, these things happen. Losing happens. It sucks, but it makes the good times that much sweeter. Watching the Pacers and IU a few years ago was pure misery, but this season (for both teams) made all that worth it. Watching teams evolve from crappy to competent to legitimately good is fascinating to watch.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I've been a Pacers fan for a while, since the late 90's when I was like 8 or 9. I have no idea why I liked the Pacers then, I always did and have since. However, there was definitely a stretch where I would root for the Pacers in the regular season and then switch my support over to the "local team" for the playoffs: The Lakers. I am proud to say this May it will have been two years since I found myself rooting for the Lakers, and I hope it can continue for many more years to come.

Also, it's refreshing talking about basketball with my friends again. A lot of people around here have a lot of respect for the Pacers, especially Granger and Paul George. Three years ago people would bash on the team mercilessly, and this year everyone talks about how good they are. So even if ESPN and most other news outlets have been ignoring the Pacers, know that NBA fans aren't.

I've been a Pacers fan since I was very little. Obviously I didn't start watching the games a lot until I was older, but I remember my sixth grade self bawling during Reggie Miller's last game. I even started reading this board when I was in sixth grade! The years following that were rough, I still wore my Pacers stuff to school, and being the only one doing that I caught my fair share of jokes and criticism about the team. However, it only made the passion burn more and more. I wanted the team to do well, just to prove those people wrong. Now, fellow PD'ers, I think we can say whatever crap we took for still following this team has payed off. Im so proud to say I stuck through it with this team, and we all should, this is sweet!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sbaker50 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nah, I was always going to be there for the Pacers. When you are a fan of sports teams, these things happen. Losing happens. It sucks, but it makes the good times that much sweeter. Watching the Pacers and IU a few years ago was pure misery, but this season (for both teams) made all that worth it. Watching teams evolve from crappy to competent to legitimately good is fascinating to watch.

Agreed. Those who get the most enjoyment out of Roy now are the fans who watched him as a raw rookie. You can't fully appreciate what he's doing now if you didn't watch his awkward play in his rookie year when he would pick up two fouls as soon as he entered the game.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    I've been on and off over the years mostly dealing with not liking the Ron Artest years (pre-brawl that is, I just didn't like Artest) and deployments to Iraq when I didn't get to watch. I was finally out of the Marine Corps right before the 2010 draft. Reading all about potential drafty Paul George, and him working out with Danny Granger had me caught, hook line and sinker. Though a lot of that really had to do with me finally being home and in my apartment were I could actually watch sports on the regular again.
    That almost exactly describes me, except I loved Ron Artest before the brawl and for me it was the Army, not Marines. I kept up to date and informed on the Pacers, and remember watching us draft Shawne Williams, but couldn't really watch many games from 05-09.

But since we drafted Paul George I've been talking people's ears off about the Pacers. Literally NO ONE would listen to me until very recently.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Haywoode Workman For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Like I said earlier, I am thanking O'Brien. Without him there is no Vogel. No Hibbert and George with chips on their shoulders the size of Mt. Rushmore.

Thank you, Jim, for being tossed in Chicago last January.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Haywoode Workman View Post
    That almost exactly describes me, except I loved Ron Artest before the brawl and for me it was the Army, not Marines. I kept up to date and informed on the Pacers, and remember watching us draft Shawne Williams, but couldn't really watch many games from 05-09.

But since we drafted Paul George I've been talking people's ears off about the Pacers. Literally NO ONE would listen to me until very recently.
    Yup. Even before he played a single game in a Pacers uniform I couldn't shut up about him. Now people listen lol

By the way, you were probably like me then, and you missed the Colts superbowl I'm guessing?

I mean so awesome they won, but I remember talking to people from home and they're saying, "Colts won omg!" and I'm thinking "you wouldn't even watch the games with me before dick!"
    Last edited by mattie; 04-24-2012 at 06:29 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I think I miss Alf the most.

I missed/forgot that Putty wasn't around anymore, did he officially leave or just got busy?

I refused to renew my tix last year thanks to JOB extension, but I still went to a lot of games (including that ORL game where I sat 2 feet from him just days before he was finally dumped). I also traveled to TX with Gnome post-JOB as part of my support of the change. So taking a stand on renewal is about as close as I got to being a casualty.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Generally, I don't like the distinction, but like many honorary titles, it only means something if other people give it to you.
    So I guess I get to keep that King D***head title then?

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    What JOB and Roy had was a failure to communicate.....
    Posting up over here Boss!

Taking the three now Boss!

But you have to admit, what we got right here was the way he wanted it, so he got it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

This must be a bad dream.
    Mood

Sports Logo

Isn't there anyone here who misses the irreverent elgin56?

Edit: Guess not...lol
    Last edited by RamBo_Lamar; 04-26-2012 at 05:53 AM.

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

21. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

23. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

woman without a team

I never thought I'd say this, but where is the picture of Dunleavy and me riding camels?

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post

Oh wow, that hair on Tyler and the look on his face...
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

28. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I admit that I've lurked a lot over the past few years. Working 2 jobs for the past 10 months, being an administrator on a very popular politics forum and living on the Gulf Coast, I haven't had the time to post as much as I would have liked to. However, I have read quite a bit and to those that stuck it out, through the bad years, we thank you! I never stopped pulling for the Pacers, I just had more important things to do than to post here.

I have people who used to give me crap at work about being a Pacer fan are now actually talking to me about the Pacers. Hell, I've won $150 in bets over the past two years - last year that they'd at least take one from the Bulls and that they would be no lower than a 4 seed in the EC this year.

It's an exciting time to be a Pacer fan again and for those who didn't make it through the rough stuff, you are welcome back anytime. There's plenty of room on the bandwagon.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to dewman_32 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

i missed like the entire Earl Watson year since i didnt get the games in my dorm room

other than that... I WAS THERE.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I never stopped watching every single Pacers game on TV (not fortunate enough to go to the game very often). I definitely didn't like the JOB years, but I still watched and posted here at my usual rate.

Will always be a Pacer fan. And Colt fan. And ya, I stuck with the Colts prior to the Harbaugh years when we were awful. Like it or not, these teams are "stuck" with me.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

I've still caught most of the games over the years whenever the Pacers were playing on national TV (or against the Hawks) but I haven't really been avid about the Pacers since the Reggie Miller days. That said, I'll definitely be watching the Pacers in the playoffs.

I stayed with the team through the worst, in fact I follow them through the worst more closely than I do now since I started graduate school in 2010 and haven't been able to follow them as closely as I would like. The worst year was the year we had no first round pick and signed Kareem Rush, Travis Deiner, and Maceo Baston. That team actually overachieved somewhat, but man they were hard to watch most of the time and that team was maybe the most boring and least sexy Pacer team ever.

I remember LoneGranger having that "Rush Week" signature when we signed Kareem, that was great.

I kind of grinned and dealt with it during the lean years, but last year in the playoffs, my passion for the team really came back. I was more into it than I was during the 04 ECF, I was probably spoiled by success at that time. Sucking and being as miserable and boring as we were makes these times worth it.
    Last edited by idioteque; 04-24-2012 at 08:42 PM.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    . The worst year was the year we had no first round pick and signed Kareem Rush, Travis Deiner, and Maceo Baston. That team actually overachieved somewhat, but man they were hard to watch most of the time and that team was maybe the most boring and least sexy Pacer team ever..

Stanko, Rush and Diener were boring?? Kiss my grits!

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Also, MR's best work:

Everybody knows that Diener-Rush-Stanko was my favorite off-season. Also, Dante and Galante's summer league debut.
    Last edited by LoneGranger33; 04-24-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    So . . . who of our faithful Pacers Digest members did not weather the storm? I can list two:

Twes and Putnam.

I haven't dropped the Pacers. I attended my usual handful of games this year (a Mordechai Brown handful, considering the shortened season). And I listened to Mark and Slick many evenings while building spreadsheets. I never claimed to be more than a casual fan, and I'm still that.

I haven't posted on this forum, that's all.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

Morbid Fascination kept me watching every game. It was so bad it was hard not to watch, plus there was always that awesome potential just lurking beneath the horrible lineups Jim forced on us (5 game win streak).

Because of that, I've enjoyed this season more than any other. (so far)

As for posters we have lost.. Jermainiac! Maybe he changed his name and I don't know lol..

42. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post: