Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who amongst us did not survive our five years of hell?

Hybrid View

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Who amongst us did not survive our five years of hell?

This is a great day to be a Pacer fan.

We have locked up fifth place in the entire league. We have the third seed in the East. We have enjoyed a great winning season. We are poised to enter the second round of the playoffs, maybe further.

I would not ridicule anyone for not persevering through the last five years of hell known as Pacerdom. Whether the brawl, five losing seasons, or the madness of JOB, it has been an unmitigated disaster.

So . . . who of our faithful Pacers Digest members did not weather the storm? I can list two:

Twes and Putnam.

Two excellent contributors whose participation I miss very much.

But, again, I can fault no one for dropping off in the midst of this wilderness. However, I can indeed give major props to every Pacer fan and all the members of this board who have stuck it out through the tough times. I salute you all.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Who amongst us did not survive our five years of hell?

Is it too early to read last rights on our fellow admin Chicago J?
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it too early to read last rights on our fellow admin Chicago J?

I definitely miss his contributions. He peaked in a couple times last year and I think he even mentioned that he came down to Indy for game 4 against Chicago. I was surprised he didn't pop in a couple times this year. Even though he hated Bird the player, he always gave Bird a fair amount of credit as a GM from 08 on. He didn't seem that depressed about the team, I just think he is a really busy guy.

And you're right, McKeyfan. Everyone who has stuck with the team deserves a salute. 2005-2010 were miserable seasons and yet this still remained one of the best sports forums on the internet. The people who stuck with the team are the the ones who are getting the most joy out of this season.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 04-24-2012 at 08:29 AM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

The funny thing about it is that I was a HUGE Pacers fan during the 94-98 run, slowly tapered off and I wasn't quite as active as a fan during the Finals years and the following successes, but became a very big fan AFTER the brawl and the ensuing crap-fest. I guess it's the Cubs fan in me that loves to root for the underdog, and the Pacers were ultimate underdogs the past few years. But I'm LOVING the success now!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Indra For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Indra View Post
    The funny thing about it is that I was a HUGE Pacers fan during the 94-98 run, slowly tapered off and I wasn't quite as active as a fan during the Finals years and the following successes, but became a very big fan AFTER the brawl and the ensuing crap-fest. I guess it's the Cubs fan in me that loves to root for the underdog, and the Pacers were ultimate underdogs the past few years. But I'm LOVING the success now!
    I know a guy who is similar to that. Was a Bulls fan back in the day and actually started liking the Pacers in the past 5 years.

Didn't Grace drop the Pacers for Milwaukee? That would be 4 counting Chicago J.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Its great, being the only Pacer fan in this side of the world i get ALOT of heat, but funny enough the only thing they can tell me now is ..you guys are never on cable. Winning is fun, it solves everything. I never post much but I'm always here lurking, I'm extremely excited! Go Pacers

btw West is quickly becoming my fav pacer. He's a baddddd man!
    Impossible Is Nothing

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Romsey31 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

BTW i'll be going to orlando to catch a game, havent decided which one as yet, but any of you guys making the trip?
    Impossible Is Nothing

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Romsey31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Romsey31 View Post
    BTW i'll be going to orlando to catch a game, havent decided which one as yet, but any of you guys making the trip?
    Ill be catching a game or two.

Some others I think we lost were Los Angeles and Count55. I still occassionally see Count on here and know he's busy on another site but I haven't seen Los Angeles for at least a year and a half or two years. I always enjoyed both of their commentaries.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Phree Refill For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I resented the drive to and from the Fieldhouse starting two seasons ago. It was more like, "Ugh, time to drive up to Indy for the game."

This year (and the end of last) it was more along the lines of, "OMFG TIME TO DRIVE TO INDY FOR THE GAME!"

It's been really hard. Especially with the commute I take. (Not to downplay anyone else for that matter.) But when gas is high and your return of investment on your entertainment dollar is low, it wears on you. Not to mention the countless times I got made fun of while I was in college because how bad we were, and the thug image the team had portrayed.

During the lockout I actually was at a point in my mind where I humored the idea of a complete loss for the season. Even after our playoff series against the Bulls. Even after trading for George Hill. Yeah, I would've been perfectly happy without a season this year. It wasn't until about 12 games in that I was wrong.

And again, I'm not trying to downplay anyone else's fandom here. For me it was just like I couldn't stop sticking my finger in the light socket. I just hoped at the beginning of each season we would somehow be better than we were the season before. As it turns out eventually it will happen.

Granted the Pacers are trivial in the grand scheme of things for a lot of people. Me? not so much. I just can't stay away. And for that, I appreciate the bad years. I appreciate Jim O'Brien (to an extent) because without those bad years and him, none of this would be possible.

I would like to take a quick moment to thank everyone who I've met over the years for sticking with the team as well. It takes patience and dedication like no other to be the kind of folks you are. Thank you, guys.

20. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

In retrospect, it's scary just how close I came to walking away in the dark days of JoB and Troy Murphy.

Trading that bum for Collison was like taking a defibrillator to my fandom. Then Vogel kicked it in the rear end!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I reverted to lurking for the last few years. Now that I'm graduated and employed, I seem to have lots of free time to lollygag about the internet so I've tried posting here a bit more than never.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Mac_Daddy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mac_Daddy View Post
    I reverted to lurking for the last few years. Now that I'm graduated and employed, I seem to have lots of free time to lollygag about the internet so I've tried posting here a bit more than never.
    I followed a similar path. I joined PD in November of 04, and quickly became as addicted to the board as I was the game. But, in 06 I got married and in 07 my wife & I had our first baby. As this coincided with some really bad basketball, I became more of a lurker than poster, and more of a box score watcher than game addict.

Over the last couple years, my life has changed and the Pacers have changed. In the last couple years, I have come back to posting more like I did years ago. And for that, you all are welcome.

We may have lost some, but that's ok, we gained some too.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

26. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Banned

I can tell you that I was ready to forget about the Pacers completely two seasons ago, it was just to horrible to deal with and like Duke my coworkers would make fun of me when I talked to them about the Pacers, the funny part is that now they are the ones talking to me about the Pacers and how good the team is

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

Definitely just lurked during that time. Didn't even watch games half the time, just came here after and looked at the score. It was not worth watching it on some crappy internet stream on a computer.

Feels good now.

Been a pacers fan approximately since the 1988-1989 season (horrible record that season btw) when I was 8 years old, so I have weathered mutliple storms and never walked away. Its safe to say that I'm all in and have been in a for a long time.
    Fire up that tank and drive it to the lottery then to the draft

I am colombian. I didn't have the chance to see many games in the nineties, but i was a Chris Mullin fan for NBA Live 95. With the trade for Dampier i become a Pacers fan.

I saw the brawl and follow this team besides that. I always thought that Granger was the player that we need to preserve.

I don't post to much, but i like to read Peck and Unclebuck's posts. That gave me an idea of games when i didn't see them.

I'm excited for the playoffs, men.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to ensergio For This Useful Post:

I may be a n00b as far as membership goes, but I've read here for longer and I feel I can reach this conclusion: You guys rock. Out loud. Be proud for sticking it out through everything this franchise has been through. From the Brawl to Murphleavy to JO'B, this franchise has suffered enough. Now the Pacers are getting theirs, and y'all can tell your kids this: "We were there to see the return of the Pacers."

Sports Logo

I started watching in 91/92 when primestar came out and had been an avid follower of all things pacers. It was a GREAT time to start watching the pacers because you saw the improvement leading up to the 94 team.

The JOB era for me was the worst, I felt like yet again we were getting the bad side of Bird as GM bad coach/bad draft picks and between the industry that I had been in for most of my adult life (mortgage/commercial loans) going to hell in a hand-basket the team doing the same was just too much for me to watch. I had gotten my hopes up with the Hibbert draft then had them dashed by the Hansbrough draft and it was just time for a break.

I assumed that at some point Bird would be fired and things could improve, little did I know Bird would doing the improving. I occasionally would lurk but did not post a lot. When JOB was fired I almost started watching again and I had not known about Paul George (I cant believe I missed his rookie season)

When I head that we had signed David West my interest really peaked again and I knew I had to at least give this team a chance. How many years did Donnie try and get David West and here he is. So I started watching from the start of the season and was surprised to see Collison on the team (I had wanted them to draft him and not Hansbrough) and George Hill and then watched Paul George play D and I was in love with the team again.

I cant believe that while I was not watching Bird went from the bottom of the list of GM's to one of the best. The trades and signings he has made this year seemed to put more and more pieces in place without giving up good players in return. Adding Barbosa was a great example of that. He was just what we needed a guy to spread the floor in the 2nd unit and Bird actually went out and got it!!!

Anyway give the others time I think they will be back.

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Mood

I survived too. I've never had season tickets like a lot of you on here, but still go to around 15 games a season give or take. I'll admit, going to games in January and February were pretty tough the last few years (especially last year pre-vogel).

Sometimes I questioned just what the hell they were doing. But Bird, to his credit, stuck with his plan and here we are, 3rd in the East going to the playoffs.

This year I have been invested like none other, only missed watching one game this year, and am still as jacked about this team as I was in January.

The last 5 years have been tough as hell, but this is making it all worth while. It reminds us of why we are such loyal and crazy fans. Unlike bandwagon jumpers, the taste of success is that much greater after you have endured losing seasons.

@Pacers24Colts12

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacers13Colts12 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    I started watching in 91/92 when primestar came out and had been an avid follower of all things pacers. It was a GREAT time to start watching the pacers because you saw the improvement leading up to the 94 team.

The JOB era for me was the worst, I felt like yet again we were getting the bad side of Bird as GM bad coach/bad draft picks and between the industry that I had been in for most of my adult life (mortgage/commercial loans) going to hell in a hand-basket the team doing the same was just too much for me to watch. I had gotten my hopes up with the Hibbert draft then had them dashed by the Hansbrough draft and it was just time for a break.

I assumed that at some point Bird would be fired and things could improve, little did I know Bird would doing the improving. I occasionally would lurk but did not post a lot. When JOB was fired I almost started watching again and I had not known about Paul George (I cant believe I missed his rookie season)

When I head that we had signed David West my interest really peaked again and I knew I had to at least give this team a chance. How many years did Donnie try and get David West and here he is. So I started watching from the start of the season and was surprised to see Collison on the team (I had wanted them to draft him and not Hansbrough) and George Hill and then watched Paul George play D and I was in love with the team again.

I cant believe that while I was not watching Bird went from the bottom of the list of GM's to one of the best. The trades and signings he has made this year seemed to put more and more pieces in place without giving up good players in return. Adding Barbosa was a great example of that. He was just what we needed a guy to spread the floor in the 2nd unit and Bird actually went out and got it!!!

Anyway give the others time I think they will be back.

Good to have you back. I always enjoyed your posts back in the day. Hope you can post some during our playoff run.

I think 09-10 was rock bottom for many. That team was freaking horrible, and we had already been watching poor basketball for the previous few seasons. When you have Jim O'Brien coaching the likes of Earl Watson and Troy Murphy in your starting lineup, you know things are bad.

It's absolutely incredible how far we have come since then. In a mere TWO YEARS, we have added: George, Collison, West, Hill, Lou, and Barbosa. Those last four were added just this season. In the meantime, we have shredded all of the overpaid scrubs who filled up our roster.

Yeah, Bird should be executive of the year.....
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 04-24-2012 at 10:42 AM.

I went to more games in each of the last 3 or 4 seasons than I've been able to go to this year, and watched a lot more on TV then too. School and working being the cause. Which really sucks, because this is the year I've been waiting so long for lol

First came to this board and the Pacers when Danny was drafted. Didn't register til last year so I could keep reading during the playoffs. Needed my daily fix.

Probably have stuck through it more because of the quality of this board than the quality of the team. JoB-ball got really hard to watch.

Like many of you though, I thought I saw something in Frank. Don't know if it was the excitement and or the fact he is pretty good guy. That and the front office moves gave me hope that things would get better. Must have, I drove 1200 miles this week to see the Pacers first hand. Glad I did. Glad y'all are still here too. The future looks to be fun.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to jdw For This Useful Post: