Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Front page of today's Indy Star

Default Re: Front page of today's Indy Star

I just don't like the local Indy paper bringing up the Brawl (well, at all, really) right as the new generation of Pacers is just starting to gain traction again with Joe Public in terms of positive buzz and support. It's such a downer in that sense.

Will it mean much after today? I'd like to think not. But I just find it distasteful as someone who wants to see the franchise do well and be supported.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the Indy Star put as much effort and focus on our current Pacers team on the front page, maybe we'd be having better attendance..

It just burns my butt , that this crap gets front page when they COULD have done a big front page on the Pacers clinching 3rd seed and homecourt.. Also they could have done a writeup on each one of our starting 5... heck maybe do a different player spotlight every other day .. like a "getting to know your Pacers" type thing...

Instead we get an irrelevant article on an irrelevant player that brings up bad memories and angry emotions to people ...
    Shoot, a Pacers article doesn't appear until page 3 of the sports page today. A nice article about Gordon Hayward on the front of sports, though......

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I want to make it clear. Having this on the front page of the sports section would not have ticked me off.

I don't know the answer to this question because I only view the Star online (I live in NE IN). How many times has the Pacers been on the front page of the Star relating to their successful season?

I have no beef with Kravitz. The article is right on. But it should not have been on the front page. The decision to have Indiana State Fair concerts at BLF this summer is more front page news with national relevance.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Question?
    THis wasn't the main article right? The headliner?

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    Question?
    THis wasn't the main article right? The headliner?
    At least the picture from the brawl is below the fold.
    Last edited by MagicRat; 04-24-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

dumb

I think it may serve more so as a reminder that hey, remember that psycho that screwed our franchise over? Ya he's not here anymore, he's causing problems elsewhere. It's safe to come back to the Pacer games.

Beyond silly. Putting it in the sports section is one thing, but on the front page? Even forget about this from the perspective of PR and look at it from a common sense perspective. I know Indy is a sports-crazed place, but you're really putting a story about a sports fight that happened a few days ago on the front page of the paper of one of the bigger cities in the United States? Come on man.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    Shoot, a Pacers article doesn't appear until page 3 of the sports page today. A nice article about Gordon Hayward on the front of sports, though......

Area55! BOO THIS NEWSPAPER!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    At least they didn't go after some old photo of him in a Pacers Jersey. The question is... Will more papers be sold regarding Artest than Reggie making the Hall of Fame. I'm the distributor for Star Media to Restaurants, Convenient & Grocery stores for the majority of Wayne Township here on the west side of Indianapolis. I was just sharing with Hicks this weekend one of my worst selling papers for this month was Reggie being on the cover of the Star upon his announcement to the Hall.
    Not to derail this thread, but I am curious Roaming Gnome: Is there any way I could possibly get ahold of one of those Reggie announcement papers?

I'd be more than happy to cover the shipping and paper cost. I guess I just don't know how long extra papers are left laying around? Anyways, let me know
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

What's a newspaper?

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Haywoode Workman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    Not to derail this thread, but I am curious Roaming Gnome: Is there any way I could possibly get ahold of one of those Reggie announcement papers?

I'd be more than happy to cover the shipping and paper cost. I guess I just don't know how long extra papers are left laying around? Anyways, let me know
    Second this.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

It should come as no surprise that a Gannett owned publication, with its flagship paper being USA Today, should attempt to stir public interest with a piece that smacks of sensationalistic "man bites dog" fervor. Bob Kravitz probably solidified his position with them by writing the piece and will likely delight in the attention he receives from it.

Local personalities and a few local interest stories are the only reason for local papers to exist at this point, positive stories don't get attention and buzz, and I am quite certain that as soon as the story broke that the plan from the editiorial staff was for it to be THE story, and I would guess that prior to publishing it that Kravitz was made aware of that fact. Followups will come as well, I'm afraid, and not just the brawl but the other trashy details of the "gang" the Pacers had will be brought up as well, especially if the Pacers don't do well in the first round of the playoffs.

Kravitz is inept when it comes to the Pacers and the NBA, thus why he has to rely on attendance and brawl stories.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Bob Kravitz has absolutely no control over what page his writing is on. No point in getting upset at him over this being on the front page.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KrunkMcGrunk For This Useful Post:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post

Let me check tonight to see if there are some in the archives...
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

25. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    to be fair to Kravitz, the pacers played an exhibition game last night, so there wasn't much to write about....
    Wow, that 12 step program is really working out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by KrunkMcGrunk (improved)
    Bob Kravitz has absolutely no control over what his article is about. No point in getting upset at him over this being on the front page. Blame whatever he heard from Wells or read at PD.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I just don't like the local Indy paper bringing up the Brawl (well, at all, really) right as the new generation of Pacers is just starting to gain traction again with Joe Public in terms of positive buzz and support. It's such a downer in that sense.

Will it mean much after today? I'd like to think not. But I just find it distasteful as someone who wants to see the franchise do well and be supported.
    Exactly. Where is the editor in all this? Where are the decision makers that can drive the direction and advise for something more productive. Part of the reason the Reggie HOF was a dud is because after being a down product for so long, the local media has been excessively late to the great-team party.

I mean how many VOGEL MIGHT WIN COY articles are getting printed or put on the front page...and why freaking not? Casual fans do read this stuff, they read it in the lunch breakroom and the oil change waiting area and the fast food place after work, etc. And then they talk to you about it. I know because it happens to me. They know I'm a big fan so I hear about it when they see something on TV or read something in the paper.

And this year that's been a lot less than the actual production of the team would warrant.

Sports Logo

The Pacers will not escape the long-shadow that Artest casts on this Organization until he retires or is banned from the NBA.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

This kind of stuff really p*sses me off. There is a direct corrolation between local media coverage of a sports team and its attendance levels.

I agree with many on here, the article is actually pretty good, and I don't mind Kravitz writing it. But f*** the a****** who made the cynical decision to stir up the brawl years again with a story of questionable news value just to sell a couple papers. The fact that this was the main front page story of the ENTIRE PAPER, coupled with the subpar Pacers coverage in general this year (at least online), with the playoffs starting this weekend... I mean

31. The Following User Says Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Wow, that 12 step program is really working out for you.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

People still read the Star...?

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dgranger17 View Post
    He threw an elbow, who cares... fine him, suspend him for the last regular season game and maybe the first playoff game, then move on. If this was anybody else but World Peace, it wouldn't be a big deal. Plain and simple. Why wasn't this in the paper yesterday? I'm pretty sure it happened on Sunday. Kravitz probably wasn't watching the game and only heard about it on ESPN First Take or some nonsense.

I'll always love Metta. Him throwing an elbow on a guy who was dominating the game (14 points in 13 minutes) doesn't change my opinion of him. If anything, I want him coming off our bench.

The over-reaction isn't from I Love P and his thread, it's from all of the people who can't get over what Metta World Peace did to James Harden. If you replace Larry Sanders with Metta World Peace the other night, it's national news and on the front page of the Star. It wasn't Metta, it was Larry Sanders, so it barely got any play on Sports Center.
    Need a "No thanks" button.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post: