Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More Bad news for the Saints.. Spy Gate II

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: More Bad news for the Saints.. Spy Gate II

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    XLIV still haunts me. That picture makes it all the worse.
    I have never watched that game since it was on live, and I swear I will go to the grave never ever watching it again.

If there is a hell, Satan will rip out my fingernails for all eternity while he forces me to watch that game over and over and over and over again.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Aint it amazing what happens when a franchise that spent decades as a laughingstock suddenly becomes relevant?
    At this rate the Archie Manning years may be the feel good ones...

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    As far as having an actual impact on the game, the bounty scandal is significantly worse than this. I doubt the Saints "spygate" affected the outcome of a single game. The bounties on the other hand probably got them all the way to their superbowl.
    I agree that bountygate is the worst scandal of the bunch, because it is so appallingly contrary to the sense of fair play and competition. Thus it offends every sane person, and on a very fundamental level. Hearing the Williams tape is sickening. Then they also lied, tried to cover it up, and still worse, continued to do it!

Did it "get them to a superbowl" though? I am at least a little torn there.

the pro: The Saints were in the top five in roughing the passer penalties in 2009, 10 and 11, and in the top five in unnecessary roughing penalties in 2009 and 2011.

the con: Were any bounties ever collected, or any injuries occur due to a bounty that were illegal hits and thus not normally part of the game? I don't know. They did beat the crap out of Favre, but were any of the hits illegal, causing fines, or even flagged? It seemed like the kind of beating a non-bounty team, like perhaps Pittsburgh for example, would deliver- pressure the QB at every instance.

Don't take this as a Saints defense: I am saying the crime was particularly bad, then continuing the crime when told to stop made it far worse, and lying about it until the crap hit the fan made it ten times worse. I can't say it got them a Super Bowl season that they couldn't have gotten without the bounty system, though.

I know if my coach was saying that crap, I would ignore the "hurt the guy" instructions as best I could and execute the football plays I needed to make, to do my job. I can appreciate though that some players may have bought into Williams' tactics as the right way to do things, but would it be that common? Or maybe I am giving the players too much credit?
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    the con: Were any bounties ever collected, or any injuries occur due to a bounty that were illegal hits and thus not normally part of the game? I don't know. They did beat the crap out of Favre, but were any of the hits illegal, causing fines, or even flagged? It seemed like the kind of beating a non-bounty team, like perhaps Pittsburgh for example, would deliver- pressure the QB at every instance.
    Yes. At least one of the hits was flagged and two drew fines after the game. I want to say there was nother player in addition to Bobby McCray who got fined following this game as well but I'm not going to look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan New Orleans Times-Picayune 1/29/10

NFL fines New Orleans Saints defensive end Bobby McCray for late hits on Brett Favre

The NFL fined New Orleans Saints defensive end Bobby McCray a total of $20,000 for two incidents involving unnecessary roughness against Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brett Favre, according to an NFL.com report.

In the first quarter of the NFC championship game on Sunday, McCray delivered a blow to Favre after the quarterback had made a handoff to receiver Percy Harvin. Officials penalized the Saints 15 yards for the unnecessary roughness infraction.

During the third quarter, McCray hit Favre in the knee area after he delivered a pass that was intercepted by linebacker Jon Vilma. The Saints were not penalized on the play
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post: