Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: So, Washington and Washington, D.C.

  1. #1
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,036

    Sports Logo

    Default So, Washington and Washington, D.C.

    I was under the impression that the State of Washington was at least close to Washington, D.C. But it is isn't. Why?

  2. #2
    Thanks Kesty! Pig Nash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,478
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, Washington and Washington, D.C.

    Named for George Washington, lots of places/streets/universities etc. are all over the country.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pig Nash For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,381

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, Washington and Washington, D.C.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Named for George Washington, lots of places/streets/universities etc. are all over the country.
    This, basically. George Washington is a highly significant person in American history, obviously. Since he was the first president and is widely regarded as one of the top 2 presidents in American history, it is easy to see why so many things are named after him. Washington, DC is extraordinarily close to his Mt. Vernon, VA home, and it was planned as a capitol city during Washington's presidency. He actually did not want the city to be named after him, but his overwhelming fame and popularity made it an easy choice.

  5. #4
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,036

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, Washington and Washington, D.C.

    I know about George Washington.

    I just thought that Seattle, Washington was at least close to Washington, D.C. and was shocked to see that they are basically in the other side of the continent

  6. #5
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,381

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, Washington and Washington, D.C.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know about George Washington.

    I just thought that Seattle, Washington was at least close to Washington, D.C. and was shocked to see that they are basically in the other side of the continent
    Yeah, I figured you did. The point is that there are cities, counties, roads, bridges, universities, etc. named after Washington all across the country.

  7. #6
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,036

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, Washington and Washington, D.C.

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, I figured you did. The point is that there are cities, counties, roads, bridges, universities, etc. named after Washington all across the country.
    Yeah, I know. It's just that both of them are quite important and so creates a small confusion.

    It's just like East Chicago, Indiana actually. If it was a more well known city it would create some confusion

  8. #7
    Thanks Kesty! Pig Nash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,478
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, Washington and Washington, D.C.

    there's also michigan city in Indiana, an east st louis in illinois, kansas city is mostly in missouri.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pig Nash For This Useful Post:


  10. #8
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,272
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, Washington and Washington, D.C.

    In fact, there is a Washington street (the main road) in Indianapolis. Washington state is just named for George and DC is the District of Columbia. The District of Columbia is so named for the "godess" who protected the rebels against the British in poems of the time.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  11. #9
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,240
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, Washington and Washington, D.C.

    The territory that became Washington State was originally supposed to be called Columbia after the Columbia River. When the territory was established in Congress they changed the name to Washington to honor George and avoid confusion with the District of Columbia.

  12. #10
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,381

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, Washington and Washington, D.C.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In fact, there is a Washington street (the main road) in Indianapolis. Washington state is just named for George and DC is the District of Columbia. The District of Columbia is so named for the "godess" who protected the rebels against the British in poems of the time.
    Actually, while I think that played a part, the main reason it is named District of Columbia has more to do with it being the 300th year of Christopher Columbus "discovering" America. I'm a nerd.

  13. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Plainfield, IN
    Posts
    544
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, Washington and Washington, D.C.

    Until I was about 8 years old, I thought the Washington Redskins were in Seattle...then I found out about the Seahawks and put 2 and 2 together.


    @Pacers24Colts12

  14. #12
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,396

    Default Re: So, Washington and Washington, D.C.

    I was surprised to find that the country of Georgia was not located within the State of Georgia. Also, I just discovered that Italy is a country in Europe, not a county in New Jersey.

  15. #13
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,101

    Default Re: So, Washington and Washington, D.C.

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersCenter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Until I was about 8 years old, I thought the Washington Redskins were in Seattle...then I found out about the Seahawks and put 2 and 2 together.
    The Washington Redskins play in Maryland... but their team offices are in Virginia.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  16. #14
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,858

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, Washington and Washington, D.C.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Washington Redskins play in Maryland... but their team offices are in Virginia.
    The New York Giants and New York Jets play in New Jersey...

  17. #15
    Funk Seoul Brother Frostwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,302

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, Washington and Washington, D.C.

    there is a paris, texas.

  18. #16
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,381

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, Washington and Washington, D.C.

    There is an Indiana University...in Pennsylvania.

  19. #17
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,858

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, Washington and Washington, D.C.

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is an Indiana University...in Pennsylvania.
    and I know a ton of people who go there. IUP

    There is also an intercourse Pennsylvania.

  20. #18
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,083

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, Washington and Washington, D.C.

    You can watch Hell freeze in Michigan.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Colts 2005 Schedule Released
    By Spicoli in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-13-2005, 07:30 PM
  2. Washington has enquired about Harrington
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-15-2004, 11:37 AM
  3. Washington & the Expansion Draft
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 03:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •