Thread: Grade for the new GM so far?

Default Grade for the new GM so far?

Considering the tough job he had in front of him. I think "up to this point" Griggs has done a great job. Better than I expected. He took over a team depleted of talent expect for the kicker and punter and has made some good moves after hiring coach Pagano.
    First he helped solidify the O-Line before the draft. Second, resigned Reggie. Third, got his franchise QB (duh!), fourth, assembled some weapons with the next few picks.
    At least now the Offense will be greatly improved from last year as should be the KR game. Both will be significantly better than last year.
    My guess is Griggs will work some on the defense with the rest of the draft and with cheap FA's and guys who get cut. Next season the Colts will have money under the cap to help the defense (just like 1999).
    For those who think he should have picked some defensive players they need to understand that 2/3 of the team is close to being fixed (Offense and Special Teams), if he split them up then they all could probably suck. We are 2 steps closer to the playoffs! I am really excited!!!!
    Grade: A

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Grade for the new GM so far?

A for me.

I'm very close to an A+ but I really would have liked to see us draft Trumaine Johnson in the 3rd round.. He's the second best ball-hawking Corner in the draft. Oh well, I still love what Grigson has done. Two Pro-Bowl caliber TE's and a 4.3 speed WR will make the Colts matchup nightmares for any team!

Need to really focus on defense today tho.

Incomplete. How can we possibly grade him when we don't know how his moves have turned out? In theory, I like what he has done, but time will tell.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A for me.

I'm very close to an A+ but I really would have liked to see us draft Trumaine Johnson in the 3rd round.. He's the second best ball-hawking Corner in the draft. Oh well, I still love what Grigson has done. Two Pro-Bowl caliber TE's and a 4.3 speed WR will make the Colts matchup nightmares for any team!

Need to really focus on defense today tho.
    I wanted Johnson in the 3rd as well until I heard Gruden say that he is only a zone corner. Pagano is not a fan of zone coverage.
    But heck yes to the 2 TE's. Colts had 1 blocking TE on the roster but none to throw to this time yesterday. Now - wow! And a speedy KR too! Awesome!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Incomplete. How can we possibly grade him when we don't know how his moves have turned out? In theory, I like what he has done, but time will tell.
    A fan can have an opinion up to this point. Hard not to like what Grigs has done so far. Besides, everybody is incomplete until they retire!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

I think he deserves an "A" and I think the experts will view this as a very good draft for the Colts. The two tight ends were the best in the draft and went lower than expected. I know people will complain that we didn't draft defensive players but this was certainly a need and Luck will have a pretty good core for the short passing game at which he excells..... I am concerned that the defense may give up 30 points a game but you cannot fix everything in one draft. This will be the start of a long slow process and I welcome these players and wish them the best........

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    A fan can have an opinion up to this point. Hard not to like what Grigs has done so far. Besides, everybody is incomplete until they retire!
    Point taken. I do like what he has done, and it is pretty apparent that he has a plan so it's hard to really complain about anything.

I'm getting really excited about our offense.. Mainly our Pass offense, don't know how strong our OL is so I can't really get excited about the run game yet..

But we have Reggie Wayne on one side, Austin Collie on the other. Then if we work out of a two TE set we have two very dangerous targets to go to from there as well... Or we could do a one TE set and put Hilton in at the slot. Hilton is the same size as Welker but is way faster. If he can do under routes in addition to the deep routes he already does well, our offense is going to be so tough to defend.

I will give him a B. I like the 2 TE's and I have always said thats the best way to ease a new Qb into the league but the Ty pick was iffy to me. More risk than reward and sometimes I think he is trying to replicate what he had in Philly with DeSean Jackson and thats a stretch to consider Ty anywhere near Jackson.

My opinion may change at after the draft but I think its a solid B.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Point taken. I do like what he has done, and it is pretty apparent that he has a plan so it's hard to really complain about anything.
    Thanks! But I would still agree with your original point that it is incomplete as a whole. But we are only grading what has been done so far. And I really like it too!