View Poll Results: What would success entail?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • The season is a success on its own merits, regardless of playoff success (fans)

4 5.97%
  • The season is a success on its own merits, regardless of playoff success (players)

3 4.48%
  • Winning in the first round is enough (fans)

13 19.40%
  • Winning in the first round is enough (players)

6 8.96%
  • Pushing the second round opponent to 6/7 games is enough (fans)

37 55.22%
  • Pushing the second round opponent to 6/7 games is enough (players)

14 20.90%
  • Getting to ECFs is enough (fans)

5 7.46%
  • Getting to the ECFs is enough (players)

7 10.45%
  • Pushing the ECFs opponent to 6/7 games is enough (fans)

2 2.99%
  • Pushing the ECFs opponent to 6/7 games is enough (players)

4 5.97%
  • Getting to the Finals is enough (fans)

0 0%
  • Getting to the Finals is enough (players)

3 4.48%
  • A close, exciting Finals would be enough (fans)

0 0%
  • A close, exciting Finals would be enough (players)

2 2.99%
  • Winning the Finals is the only successful outcome (fans)

6 8.96%
  • Winning the Finals is the only successful outcome (players)

21 31.34%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How deep do the Pacers need to go in the Playoffs for it to be a success?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default How deep do the Pacers need to go in the Playoffs for it to be a success?

2 part question my dad and I have been discussing this morning. With the Pacers rolling like they are headed to the Playoffs in a week, how far should the Pacers go where the season is considered a success for:

a.) the team
    b.) the fans

Vote and explain!
    Last edited by Pig Nash; 04-21-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: How deep should the Pacers go in the Playoffs?

As a fan I'm happy with a 1st round win, that would be the next step after last year...

As a player, well Herm Edwards said it best, "You play to win the game!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDavisBrothers For This Useful Post:

Are you asking how I feel as a fan, and the 2nd how I imagine the players feel about their own results?

Mood

I agree to a certain extent, but I think that if they beat a Heat or Bulls (or even Knicks) team in the second round when nobody thought they could, they could build off of that going forward even if they lose in the Conference Finals.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you asking how I feel as a fan, and the 2nd how I imagine the players feel about their own results?
    Right.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

I voted that the season has already been a success regardless of the outcome of the playoffs. They have played well together. The team is deep and 40 wins is beyond just about everyone's expectations. They only have one playoff experience to rely on. I expect them to win the first round but I won't consider the season a failure if they do not.

Sports Logo

I'll start with the players vote. I think all our players would only be satisfied if we win the championship. I don't think any of them is going to be happy with us getting to the second round or even the ECF and losing to miami or chicago. Anything less than that isn't winning mentality. As a player you gotta think you're the best.

Anyway, as for myself, 2nd round series would be good enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

I think they should get to the second round at the very least but beyond that its been a great season for the Pacers in a very long time too.

I'm glad we went with Vogel as coach if anything I can't believe we didn't dump JOB sooner.

Sports Logo

For me the season is a success in its own right. No matter what happens in the playoffs I'll still consider the season successful.

For the players I think that they at least want to make it hard in the second round. They care about winning and they believe it more than everyone. They will get as far as they can. That's all I know and that's all I want to hear.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Default Re: How deep do the Pacers need to go in the Playoffs for it to be a success?

Messed up my fans vote, I should have picked "winning in the first round".

For the players, I don't want them to be satisfied unless they win it all. That should always be their goal.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Mood

Default Re: How deep do the Pacers need to go in the Playoffs for it to be a success?

So the mid/late 90s guys never viewed any of their playoff runs as successful? Never built on them?

Mood

I think going into this season, I expected a first round win, but not much more. The way they're playing, I find myself wanting to expect more than that. I know the players and Frank have bought into being contenders and I find it very tempting to believe it myself.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Mood

A lot of people chose Pushing the second round opponent to 6/7 games is enough (fans), as opposed to my choice of Winning in the first round is enough (fans), not a big suprise. But, I would like to point out to those that chose that, we had a very good and entertaining series last year against the Bulls, even though we only won 1 game. If a similer situation happens in the second round this year, is it really not a success? Just some food for thought...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDavisBrothers For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Winning the Finals is the only thing thats going to get the Pacers respect from the media and bandwagon fans. Even making it to the Finals will probably be dismissed as a fluke.

For me I just hope we beat our 1st round team.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    So the mid/late 90s guys never viewed any of their playoff runs as successful? Never built on them?
    94 was successful, the rest were disappointing. 99 was the worst.

Mood

2000?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    I don't think so. You always consider yourself unsuccessful unless you win your last game.

"Useful", perhaps, "a learning experience", maybe, but "successful" no.

Again, I'm talking about what I expect the players/coaches mentality to be. I'm not talking about fans/city or even owners. We need to live in the real world because we do this for fun. They need to live in a harsher world, because it is what they get paid to do.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Personally, anything less than giving Miami/Chicago all they can handle in round 2 will be a disappointment.

To really get the casual fanbase buzzing again, it's ECF or bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Personally, anything less than giving Miami/Chicago all they can handle in round 2 will be a disappointment.

To really get the casual fanbase buzzing again, it's ECF or bust.
    I agree with the first part, but I don't think Pacers have to get to the ECF to please the casuals. I think giving Miami a fit in the second round kind of how Chicago pushed the Celtics to seven games way back, would suffice.

Any player worth his/her mettle, should always strive for the pinnacle of whatever sport he/she is playing.

Personally, Id love to reach the ECF. If we dont win, Im on the Spurs bandwagon.

Dream Big

Too much depth on this team, gotta take advantage of it

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by tora tora View Post
    Too much depth on this team, gotta take advantage of it
    Depth doesn't win in the post season........

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    Depth doesn't win in the post season........
    It sure hurt the mavs last year...depth is about as important come playoffs time as any other thing.

Sports Logo

For me personally, I feel that a 1st round playoff series win is the minimal goal. Anything short of that would be somewhat deflating given all that this team has done so far this season. A 2nd round playoff berth is the next logical step in the progression of a young team like the Pacers.

For the young core of Players....advancing to the 2nd round would boost the confidence of the team going into the next season.....I'm realistic enough to understand that anything beyond that ( ECF and NBA Finals ) would be icing on the cake.

For a listless local fanbase that has to be reminded that the Pacers still play in Indiana....putting up a good fight and showing that this Team won't rollover to LeDecision, DWade and the Tag-Along would be the best start. The fanbase will likely sit up and be reminded that there is a NBA team in Indy...but putting up a strong fight against the Heat or Bulls would go a long way towards winning back the local fans.
    Last edited by CableKC; 04-21-2012 at 06:43 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Sports Logo

a1.) The season is a success on its own merits, regardless of playoff success (players) -- First, this has to be mentioned. The Pacers have obviously done incredibly well this season, better than many people thought they could, all thanks to Larry Bird, Frank Vogel, and, of course, the team of players they lead and direct. They have a lot to be proud of this season, and should not look down upon it simply because of the shorter season. If anything, the handicap of a shorter season was compensated by the number and frequency of games in short periods of time (back-to-back-to-backs, 5 games in 7 nights).

However, that is simply the regular season. I already consider them a success for what they've done this year, and can only look forward to the playoffs, and next season.

a2.) Getting to the ECFs is enough (players) -- I think the best success for this team would be to make it to the Eastern Conference Finals, which will prove to Simon, Bird, Vogel, investors, free agents, and other teams that we are definitely a force to be reckoned with. Making it that far will show that all of last season's work was not in vain, and every little bit helped. Then, BIG name free agents like Steve Nash, Deron Williams, and, ****, even Dwight Howard would have to be stupid to not think this team, with their help, could be championship contenders.

b.) Pushing the second round opponent to 6/7 games is enough (fans) -- First off, I would imagine that getting to the second round would be enough to get fans re-interested in the Pacers, especially with the crush of the Colts. But I think it would have a better influence if (and when, I believe) they takes the second round team to six or seven games.

If the Pacers win in the second round, fans are instantly supportive of an underdog team playing in the ECF. If they lose in 6-7 games, fans will realize how much farther they've progressed since the Malice (at the earliest), and (more recently) since last season going down in 5 games against the MVP-ran Bulls.

However, this would also depend on which team the Pacers have to play in the second round, which is constantly sounding a lot like either the Heat or the Bulls. The least amount of fan- and media-perceived improvement would be losing to the Bulls in 6-7 games. If we beat them, however, we're the improved rebellion, the Bull-Killers, Pacers fans rejoice, some respect deserved. Beyond that, if we lose to the Heat (still in 6-7 games), we're martyrs. If we beat the Heat, we're superheroes.

So, fan (and included media) approval can go numerous ways, beyond even what I mentioned above. Regardless, I feel that if they go 6-7 games into the second round, that would be considered a success for the 2011-12 season, win or lose. At the very least, it would be a definite improvement.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.