Thread: Team leadership - A new captain

Default Team leadership - A new captain

I am seeing something lately that I don't think I have have seen with the Pacers in a long while. You can argue that Danny is the leader of this team. You can argue Roy is a leader. You can argue David is a leader but you can also argue that this team hasn't had a true leader for years now. Maybe this is the year that Danny rallies the troops and leads us to the promise land.
    Here is what I am seeing.

George Hill is quickly taking a strong hold as leader of this team. I have watched on several occasions George coaching our best players between timeouts. You can tell he is taking ownership of his position but also holding others accountable at the same time. Last night was all I needed to see to finally realize what (I think) we have been missing for so long.. George Hill does not take ***** from anyone. He will stand toe to toe with men a lot bigger than him. I thought to myself while watching him in the middle of the pushing and shoving that this is a players guy.

I don't know how we got so lucky by getting Tony Parker's protege. This guy just oozes confidence. His demeanor seems to make me believe he just knows what he doing. I might be going out on a limb here, but outside of Granger he may very well be our 2nd or 3rd most talented player on the team. We need to lock this kid up long term as our Octopus offence is taylor made for him.
    With all this excitement for one player also leaves a glaring problem. We have just made our 2nd team very pedestrian. However, I would rather have a big lead and holding the opponent off than having George come in to get us back in the game.

I have been praising this kid since he got here and I am truly happy to see him finally getting a chance to shine.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LazyDaze For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Team leadership - A new captain

No. Danny is the captain. He has the most experience as a Pacer and that would only **** up the chemistry.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No. Danny is the captain. He has the most experience as a Pacer and that would only **** up the chemistry.
    I think what he is saying we as a team have leadership. That leadership is not defined by anyone player.

But I think Danny gets the leadership award this year, even with David West.

Make no bones this team got consistent once Danny got consistent.

This team seems to have a lot of guys that have their head on straight. Granger, West, Roy, Hill. Jeff before he retired.

I think it's somewhat the product of the type players Pacer Management is going after. All would make good captains, but Granger is the long term Pacer that everyone recognizes. I see no need for a change.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 04-20-2012 at 08:31 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

Hill often seems to be the leader on the defensive end. He's always telling people where they should be and what they should be doing.

And you're right about Hill, the dude is tough as nails.
    Danger Zone

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Mood

This is difficult for me to describe. It all makes sense in my head, but the wording I can't get exactly right. So, at the risk of not accurately representing my point or my point being mis-interpreted, here goes:

Hill is a chameleon. He's the guy you played with that got along with everyone on the team from the "star" player, the big men, the bench players, and even the 12th man on the roster. He's the guy who always knew exactly what to say to get guys in the right frame of mind, whether it be to fire someone up, to get someone to pay attention, or to simply get somebody to relax and have a good laugh to release some tension. This guys isn't necessarily a leader. I guess you can say he's the Glue Guy? IDK. Maybe I'm describing the role, or at least certain aspects genuinely associated with "The Leader", but it's not really what I'm going with.

I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    There are many ways to describe Danny on this team. I will say he is the leader mostly because he is the most talented player on the team and generally backs up his talk with his play. That is not always the case on every team. Paul Peirce for years was the best player on the Celtics but Rajon is the leader and captain that guides that ship. They would not be any good without him.
    I think I am starting to see this formula here on the Pacers. Danny for years has carried the load for this team. I feel George is taking some of the responsibility that Danny had of guiding this ship as a player/coach.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This is difficult for me to describe. It all makes sense in my head, but the wording I can't get exactly right. So, at the risk of not accurately representing my point or my point being mis-interpreted, here goes:

Hill is a chameleon. He's the guy you played with that got along with everyone on the team from the "star" player, the big men, the bench players, and even the 12th man on the roster. He's the guy who always knew exactly what to say to get guys in the right frame of mind, whether it be to fire someone up, to get someone to pay attention, or to simply get somebody to relax and have a good laugh to release some tension. This guys isn't necessarily a leader. I guess you can say he's the Glue Guy? IDK. Maybe I'm describing the role, or at least certain aspects genuinely associated with "The Leader", but it's not really what I'm going with.

I dunno.
    To give this a positive spin, many, many of your other posts have been absolutely excellent.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    To give this a positive spin, many, many of your other posts have been absolutely excellent.

lmao, thanks man.

I dunno.
    I get what your saying and I do agree with him being the glue guy. But I would have given him that distinction when he was playing with the 2nd unit. I feel he has graduated from glue guy to player/coach type of player and the only way to describe that type of player in one word is captain or leader in some instances.

I know what you're saying, but he's not a leader after 7 or 8 games. Danny has showed much more leadership this year and probably because guys like Hill and West have pushed him to be so. Hill is being a point guard which means leadership on the floor, and he's certainly excelling at that. Danny is and likely will be the leader of this team for a long time.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MnvrChvy For This Useful Post:

Hill certainly has no fear and neither does DWest. Maybe we have co-captains.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

I dunno.

Those are all great points but in my eyes thats what a leader (captain) does, he keeps the team pumped up for the mission at hand and beyond. I think he is a great leader and I would vote for him but it wouldn't change much too me. It's just a title. I think it would stir up a little ego push in the locker room. Let Granger stay the Captain as long as he is a Pacer bc "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Captain it just a title. What you see and what you have (from ALL the players that have been mentioned) is leadership.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Sports Logo

Hill is a very vocal player, but I can't really say we have 1 leader. During games the most vocal guys imo are Hill, West, maybe Jones. I guess these are the important guys in the locker room too. Outside the court our leader is Granger. He takes all the heat, he's our best player, our team is sort of represented by him. He's also the official team captain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

George Hill is a man. Plain and simple.

He also has more prime time experience than anyone on our team, West included.

He also has played for the smartest, classiest coach and franchise in the NBA.

No surprise to me that he appears to be a serious leader.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Danny Granger.